Poach week

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very poor analogy. A better one would be offering someone a job who works for a different company.

. . . by calling their current company restrictive and muzzling, pathetic and impotent, daring the company involved to do something about it, then whining about overreaction when they do.

I suspect the reason so many consider recruiting messages taboo is b/c of the potential for misrepresentation, insults and negativity in the message focused on the wrongs of the targeted alliance, like the NSO message, leading to intra-alliance tensions. The one sent in this OP was respectful and focused on his own alliance. I think if they were all like that, there wouldn't be a ton of outcry.

OOC: For the record, America isn't attacking Australia because Australia has commercials on American television. In fact, they're pretty much letting them air it. :) /OOC

Issue was the aggression, lack of respect, etc. imho. OOC response: If Australia aired TV commercials calling America pathetic and impotent, passionless, etc. and asked American to give up their citizenship and join a real country, the shizzle would hit the fan. And speaking of FAN, I suspect they would personally launch an assault on Australia, OOC guns blazing. :P

ATTN zigbigadorlou:

Your blatant recruitment attempts have not gone un-noticed in MFO. We hereby demand an apology, or you will face the conseqeunces of us B'awwing for 50 pages about how awful this is and how you're a very very very bad man.

You have 24 hours to comply.

Choose wisely.

Attention Johnny Apocalypse:

Your blatant attempt to infringe upon my right to recruit is abhorrent, terrible, and immature. I hereby demand 100 tech in reparations for forcing my alliance to be small.

You have 4 hours to comply or I will go nuke rogue on a baby seal.

Choose wisely.

A very poor analogy [a girlfriend] . A better one would be offering someone a job who works for a different company.

two analogies that go to the heart of why recruiting is such a manufactured complaint: if members are lured away by a recruiting message, they're not a critical member of your alliance. And if they're not a critical member of your alliance, then why be upset at losing them? Let's overlook the case that the nation in question is neither your girlfriend nor your employee. And even if those cases were analogous, the person should be free to go: they probably were neither your true love nor your devoted wage slave to begin with. and yes, employees are recruited away in real life, except among monopolies.

and just for the record, yes, the insecure alliances may recruit from AGW Overlords. If you entice someone away, you've strengthened AGW and probably helped some marginal player. We still might go to war for polluting our inbox and wasting our time.

Anyone bleating about losing members to a recruiting campaign is just taping an "Attack me please, I'm weak and disorganized!" message on their own back.

Edited by unruly

and just for the record, yes, the insecure alliances may recruit from AGW Overlords. If you entice someone away, you've strengthened AGW and probably helped some marginal player. We still might go to war for polluting our inbox and wasting our time.

Anyone bleating about losing members to a recruiting campaign is just taping an "Attack me please, I'm weak and disorganized!" message on their own back.

^going by this logic, poaching ought to be encouraged no? that way all of the weak members are helped best and a state of near perfection is possible through a sort of meritocracy of doom.

And our inboxes would never be below 30 message per day

I would like a message. Please poach me. Thanks.

New week.

Poach week is over.

sorry kid, too late

Does that make it Poach Weekend then? If it's a week, it goes till the 10th.

BAH TECHNICALLITIES

Weeks start at sunday, and since the first poaching started at sunday, thats when poach week started. It was made official on that wednesday (or whichever day it was) but now its over because this is a different week.

LRN 2 CALENDAR

zomg

BAH TECHNICALLITIES

Weeks start at sunday, and since the first poaching started at sunday, thats when poach week started. It was made official on that wednesday (or whichever day it was) but now its over because this is a different week.

LRN 2 CALENDAR

zomg

You fail. For this I have lost any and all respect I may or may not have had or have or might have in the future. Should have just poached me. :P

Edited by Asriel Belacqua

^going by this logic, poaching ought to be encouraged no? that way all of the weak members are helped best and a state of near perfection is possible through a sort of meritocracy of doom.

And our inboxes would never be below 30 message per day

re-read the 3rd sentence in that paragraph to understand why it is self-limiting "We still might go to war for polluting our inbox and wasting our time"

Edited by unruly

People have been fired under such circumstances--in the NFL it is considered tampering and can cost a team draft picks. I also know of RL companies that have stopped doing business with others because they poached employees. Poaching in the business world in general is absolutely frowned upon. It is the reason that there are 'no compete' clauses in contracts.

No, the "it's no big deal" defense doesn't work.

And in football (as in what us in Europe play) it is a, to speak with a sense of understatement, pretty widespread to try to "poach" players from other clubs. Not just transfers but also approaching the player privately if negotiations with the club break down to try to get a breakthrough.