The Legion's Unofficial Official Press Conference

Arcadian Empire

LegionFlag.png

The Legion's Unofficial Official Press Conference

No, I'm not government. This is why this is an unofficial press conference. But we will have officials answering questions, so it's official. Therefore, I welcome you to the Legion's Unofficial Official Press Conference!

Since our last press conference ten months ago, much has changed. We had a Charter change, we have had new Government, the list continues. Ask about anything your mind wishes, from Legion questions to our opinion on the use of automatic enlistment systems on forums; we don't discriminate. Your questions will be answered as soon as possible.

Therefore, straight satisfy yourself and quench your thirst for knowledge.

Ave Legio!

So this automatic enlistment system, does it just let anyone in?

Does it ask you a series of questions and lets you in based on that?

How do you think it is better than how most alliances do it?

So this automatic enlistment system, does it just let anyone in?

Does it ask you a series of questions and lets you in based on that?

How do you think it is better than how most alliances do it?

The Legion does use an automatic enlistment system. Due to the services of one of our members, he has made us am automatic masking and enlistment system for new recruits. What happens is a person must register manually on the forums, and then fills in a quick questionnaire of five questions, and then a twenty question multiple choice entrance exam (which they must pass with a mark greater than 70%) - after that it is given "PE" status (pending) by the system.

Then, a Verifier does a background check manually (the system features a search capability allowing it to see if the new applicant is on the same IP as another user, and if so, names them) and with his or her judgment clicks a button allowing them or denying them. If he or she allows them in, the system will automatically send that person a PM (and an email I believe), and also mask them as the normal base Legionnaire. If he or she is denied, the system automatically sends that person a PM saying they have been denied.

So it's automatic in that it will make an entry in a thread to allow Verifiers just to click a few buttons, and does masking - but in retrospect, it's 90% automatic and 10% manual work (from the verifier).

I believe it's much better than how other alliances do it. I am under the impression other alliances have the exam or application that must be posted in a thread - and marking and masking is also done by hand and the applicant makes their own thread for applications. With this system, the marking and the work that can be done by anyone really, the masking and the informing of a new application is done automatically - so it is much more efficient, and allows staff that used to do that (like me) to concentrate on other things like spam or sleep.

Why don't you evolve into Raichu already?

:mellow:

How can you ask that?!

Long story short, thunderstone's are too expensive for me!

Hello Arcadian ;)

I'm not trying to meddle in Legion affairs but I must ask. Why did you guys choose to replace the Arbiter with Siwelcela instead of Konkrage? With all due respect to Siwelcela and from what I heard from other Legionnaires that I've talked to, It seems to me that his economic policies are causing you guys to stagnate in the amazing sanction race. Doesn't this concern everybody else within the Legion? After all, you guys were doing an amazing job with regrowth back to sanction several months ago before the Karma war.

As for questions that don't involve economics, how do you guys like your new system of government? Do you guys treat your Imperator Imperial with the same "God Emperor reverence" that Pacificans treat Trotsky's Revenge with?

Edited by Darth Elecian

Arcadian, as one of the authors of the old charter (and, incidentally, a proponent of the type of charter you have now), I have to ask what specifically prompted the change to the Imperator structure from the old, convoluted structure that nobody outside of The Legion understood?

Also, how have your Foreign Affairs shifted in the wake of this war, with clearly your most powerful ally being knocked down several notches, and still being hit hard?

Hello Arcadian ;)

I'm not trying to meddle in Legion affairs but I must ask. Why did you guys choose to replace the Arbiter with Siwelcela instead of Konkrage? With all due respect to Siwelcela and from what I heard from other Legionnaires that I've talked to, It seems to me that his economic policies are causing you guys to stagnate in the amazing sanction race. Doesn't this concern everybody else within the Legion? After all, you guys were doing an amazing job with regrowth back to sanction several months ago before the Karma war.

As for questions that don't involve economics, how do you guys like your new system of government? Do you guys treat your Imperator Imperial with the same "God Emperor reverence" that Pacificans treat Trotsky's Revenge with?

Well as for why Konkrage was not chosen, only the Imperator can speak to that. Regarding SIWELCELA we grew for some time under him, however, it is true that for the last 3 weeks we have not. Partially due to the losses of many large members (such as Konkrage...as Director of Technology replacing his 6k tech has not been an easy task), and a newly initiated entrance aid programme. I hope to soon see our alliance growing. In regards to Imperial. Yes I love our Imperator :wub: the new government seems good although we're working out some kinks in the Inspector General position and oversight in general

Arcadian, as one of the authors of the old charter (and, incidentally, a proponent of the type of charter you have now), I have to ask what specifically prompted the change to the Imperator structure from the old, convoluted structure that nobody outside of The Legion understood?

Also, how have your Foreign Affairs shifted in the wake of this war, with clearly your most powerful ally being knocked down several notches, and still being hit hard?

For the first part, I cannot answer. This charter change had been in the works for sometime, was in committee forever and a day XD. With regards to FA, we're working on our general strategy. I actually have a proposal in with our Imperator, but thats classified srns bsns FA stuff :ph34r:

In general, we're trying to make new friends, whilst we certainly have Hegemony ties, Karma is welcome as well, as seen by our recent treaty with NpO (NpO Ambassador FTW)

The Tri-Partite system got off to a bad start with the Senate (directors of department and other 'practicals') thought it was having its toes stepped on by the House of Representatives (lawmakers and 'intellectuals') this is because there was not a clear delineation of roles.

During the Universalis War the failings of the Five Man ruling system (Consulate) became obvious with no one knowing who was in control and not all Consulate being around. It didn't help that the least experienced of the Consulate (moi!) was also the most active and I made some missteps (In my defence, I had been in the post one day when war broke out). It was then that we played around with the idea of a 'war leader' which metamorphized into the Imperator.

Who do you feel more comfortable with, NPO or MASH?

...politically and philosophically speaking.

And you can't say both because they are diametrically opposed in almost every way possible.

Tricky question. You can have friends of all stripes.

We love MASH and have done so since they were a Protectorate. On the other hand, we have so much history with NPO. For years we were bitter enemies, but at our nadir they did not destroy us, but offered us a hand. Still, there was some bitterness remaining which is why some members chose (and were permitted) to sit out the recent war.

As far as politics and philosophy goes I'd (and I speak for myself) have to say MASH, but we will never deny our gratitude to NPO.

Where's Great Britain?

Where's King Scouser?

Where's Carmen Sandiego?

Unknown, Unknown and in a country that has Red, White and Blue in its flag.

I can only hope the GB and Scouser are doing well in whatever they are doing and as for Carmen, I want my Diamond encrusted watch back.

Hello Arcadian ;)

I'm not trying to meddle in Legion affairs but I must ask. Why did you guys choose to replace the Arbiter with Siwelcela instead of Konkrage?

Obviously, I won't delve too deeply into our internal policies on this one, but we feel we made the right choice. Konkrage is no longer a member of our alliance, and we wish him the best of luck.

With all due respect to Siwelcela and from what I heard from other Legionnaires that I've talked to, It seems to me that his economic policies are causing you guys to stagnate in the amazing sanction race.

Building warchests and such, D.E. Once everyone gets to the requirements we have set, our score will begin to skyrocket again. :)

No, and I don't think Imperial would be comfortable with that (I know I wouldn't). He is what he is, meaning our charter defines his office and responsibilities. So, the answer is No. Imperial does not attempt to place himself higher than anyone else, and that's one reason why I like him, personally.

You guys ask questions too fast! :P

We love MASH and have done so since they were a Protectorate. On the other hand, we have so much history with NPO. For years we were bitter enemies, but at our nadir they did not destroy us, but offered us a hand. Still, there was some bitterness remaining which is why some members chose (and were permitted) to sit out the recent war.

As far as politics and philosophy goes I'd (and I speak for myself) have to say MASH, but we will never deny our gratitude to NPO.

The sickening putrid sentiment of a slave.

Unknown, Unknown and in a country that has Red, White and Blue in its flag.

Damn, that's not enough information.

/me goes to inquire at the bank.

How did the infamous 'Agnulina' win the Legion Beauty Contest?

No idea. I wasn't there back then ;)

Are you planning on throwing your lot in a specific new sphere of influence (CnG/Hegemony/Frostbite/Cit/SF) or are you going to seek to create your own? Will you be retaining most of your ties to old Hegemony alliances?

I'll have to pass that on, I'm not government.

Hello Arcadian ;)

I'm just going to answer the econ-related parts of your question. Imperial chose SIWELCELA because he believed SIW was about econ, not just about power as Konkrage was. Also, there was a lot of issues between me and Konkrage that led them to choose SIW. SIW's economic policies per say are not what is causing our stagnation. The lack of SIW has. However, we have an extremely capable econ staff run by madalchemist. Madalchemist is by far the great CoFS the Legion has ever seen and will make an excellent MoE in the future. I for one am concerned with our growth, but I have rejoined econ and hope to guide them in the right direction. I know that the Ministry of Economics can succeed with a little push. We did take a hit in the Karma war, but that is no excuse for our lack of growth in the past few months. We changed our recruiting policy and are building a stronger member core so that is probably why in the last few weeks our ANS has risen and our AS has stagnated. In the next month or so this will balance out and the jetting will take place and you will see our score skyrocket. We plan to import massive amounts of technology (hopefully from you guys as well). All that said, I can assure you we will have a sanction in the next 5-6 months.

What are your long term goals?

What are your short term goals?

Where do you see yourselves in a year?

Why should a nation join The Legion over another alliance?

Who is your favorite ally?

What do you think of Citadel?

What do you think of Superfriends?

What do you think of C&G?

When will we see The Legion as a superpower again?

Why does the purple bird look so awesome?

What are your long term goals?

A sanction of course. Gopherbashi's placing of a rank 15 next to us (and the subsequent deletions by some others), gives us the motivation to push to 14, 13 and beyond!

What are your short term goals?

Working out our slower growth and fixing it. Before the war as you may know we were gaining big every day (but not so big as to get biggest gainer, I believe we only got that once) and after the war we are slowing down. Fixing that will allow us to get to our long term goal ;)

Where do you see yourselves in a year?

Sanctioned - our growth over the past few months was I believe 6 points up, so in a year we should be around 12 points higher which will put us at 31 points, in sanction territory.

Why should a nation join The Legion over another alliance?

Well, most alliances have the usual - growth program, tech deals and whatnot... but the thing that sets us apart from about 80% of other alliances is that we have our own domain, www.avelegio.net. Our own domain means that we can do whatever we want - and that includes adds new aspects to the website, and since we use vBulletin we also have other neat things such as vbExperience (a ranking of users by experience). So far we have an on-site radio link, on-site Java IRC, our own private wiki, our own blog for newsletters, and then automatic systems including the Praetorian (automatic exam marking and masking), which also handles automatic forms to contact government and make aid requests.

In short, we're probably up there as one of the most technologically advanced alliances.

Who is your favorite ally?

Personally, I like the ODN. They give huggles and stuff to us, and are active in our forums and on IRC as well.

What do you think of Citadel?

I don't work in FA so for this question I referred to the CN Wiki..

They have little nations, with very high NS - a powerful group especially in the upper echelons. On the alliance level with government and people, my experience of them is only in the Sanction Race where they post... they seem fine.

What do you think of Superfriends?

After referring to the CN Wiki...

Powerful bloc there. On the people question, I've only encountered Ragnarok and after fighting them, my opinion has changed on them, they seem like good people. There are many pro-MA comments on the forums as well, but I haven't met any of them yet... but I look forward to them if I am told they are good.

What do you think of C&G?

The only alliances I see are Vanguard and MK. I have been told Vanguard are good people, I think they are decent folk - I've fought them twice, they seem fine. My only opinion of MK are only of their members posting the occasional "We're gonna get you Legion!" on the Sanction Race. I deduce they like competition ;)

When will we see The Legion as a superpower again?

Once we sort out our slowing growth, we should shoot up again like what we did in the months preceding the war. I remember there was a blue challenge line at 15.00 set, and we were around 11 score at that point, and we passed every single blue alliance and finished above that challenge line one or so days before the blue alliance that eventually won passed it. So we are capable of exponential growth, we just have to find how to do it again.

Why does the purple bird look so awesome?

Awesome is an opinionated word...

I guess it's awesome only because you think it is :P

What thought process lead you to decide on the name "Hymenbreach?"

It is actually means 'breaking through a barrier' back when I though Hymen was greek for 'barrier' (it's actually greek for 'marriage'). It was the name I chose for 'Spacebattles.com' a scifi site where I came across CN and Hymen is the name given to the theoretical skin around the universe (I think, I'm going off years ago here). I kept the name here to keep in contact with Spacebattlers. (Yo, SBA!)

It became a handy personality test. Decide you don't like me right off because of my name? Well, I'll certainly miss your insta-judgement in my life. I think it's safe to say I'm an ok sort when you get to know me, but that's for others to confirm.

Little known fact, I got tired of it years ago, but the grandfather rule means I can't change it and my nation name is not much better. Recently, when I join sites, I change it to Amen Brick or Amen Bridge.

Edited by Hymenbreach