Cybernations Data

Pete McCavoy

I'm a brand new nation, one of the annual June "i'm out of school and bored" rush and I'm interested in what everyone is willing to do to keep me in. :P Seriously though, being new and looking through these forums, some better community standards on forum etiquette would go a long way to keeping players from getting turned off early by some of the meanspiritedness. Anyway, it would be interesting (especially for me) to see suggestions people have about keeping new nations around longer.

The forum has low standards both in terms of respect for others, and intelligence of posting.

I actually began collecting these statistics because I was interested in how futile recruiting attempts are, and how successful we as a community are in keeping around new players, the answer is not very successful.

Hope you stay in the game, if you are looking for an alliance shoot me a PM ^_^

Roughly one-third of CN has disappeared and "re-appeared" since my return on April 18.

Nation Created: 4/18/2009 12:10:30 AM (75 days old)

Rank by Age: 18291 of 27,278 currently existing

The fact is that this game is comprised of all the old faces, some of whom have re-rolled, along with a lot of new people who will be gone very quickly. Genuinely "new" players are a rarity.

Roughly one-third of CN has disappeared and "re-appeared" since my return on April 18.

The fact is that this game is comprised of all the old faces, some of whom have re-rolled, along with a lot of new people who will be gone very quickly. Genuinely "new" players are a rarity.

That is comforting, I was starting to feel old.

I forget that I'm from 2006 as well. With a December creation date, I feel like a young gun. But there are only 2000 of us... jeez.

Me as well. I occasionally feel like a noob next to people like Moo and Ivan and Sponge, but in reality, I've been here longer than three quarters of the players. My nation itself is older than 25,000 nations.

I think it's probably closer to a fifth that have rerolled, many were new nations that never came back (for example from the Green Light). But since EZI has gone a bit out of practice, we have seen lots of old faces come back (or start playing under their old names), which is nice.

I'm a brand new nation, one of the annual June "i'm out of school and bored" rush and I'm interested in what everyone is willing to do to keep me in. :P Seriously though, being new and looking through these forums, some better community standards on forum etiquette would go a long way to keeping players from getting turned off early by some of the meanspiritedness. Anyway, it would be interesting (especially for me) to see suggestions people have about keeping new nations around longer.

I get that impression sometimes as well. Seems like people are out to get one another rather than have fun. I think there is another thread floating around where someone posted a bunch of recruiting messages and new player retention came up. People said the game mechanics are easy and don't make people stay. I don't quite understand a lot of it, but I think I'm getting there. The building part doesn't seem too fun; not sure about warring. Anyways, people said that it was the quality of the individual guild community that made people stay or quit. Not a lot of people join a guild right away though (me included). I was just plain confused with all of the different names and messages, and I wasn't all too sure what I was looking for. I even posted a topic asking some questions (which I don't think many people do) and that didn't help me. Since a lot of new people remain off on their own in the beginning, I think it's even more important for the game community as a whole to be welcoming. I think it's pretty good so far overall, but there is definitely some "meanspiritedness" out there.

Edit: You also have to have to read A TON of wiki stuff and forum posts if you want to figure out what is going on with politics. I just finished reading most of the stuff on the Karma war after all this time. It's fun to be "in the know" but it's just such an obstacle to do so much self education.

Edited by EMGhb

I just saw a "3 month topic" for a guild. I also notice that a lot of new guilds are declaring their existence. Would it be possible to compile similar statistics except for whole guilds instead of singular nations? I bet the percentage of guilds that delete is just as bad as the figure for nations within 6 months.

I just saw a "3 month topic" for a guild. I also notice that a lot of new guilds are declaring their existence. Would it be possible to compile similar statistics except for whole guilds instead of singular nations? I bet the percentage of guilds that delete is just as bad as the figure for nations within 6 months.

no, the way i got these statistics couldnt be measured in the same way for alliances as they can be for players

I blame trades for most of it. Join up and know nothing, end up with lead and furs or even something considered OK like sugar/wine and then never find any stable trade partners, pretty easy to get frustrated and quit. All my rl friends who play no longer do simply thanks to the trades system while I decided to try a reroll, got lucky, and stayed. Want more nations to stay? Overhaul the trades system.

no, the way i got these statistics couldnt be measured in the same way for alliances as they can be for players

if every AA that came and went would make official DoE's and DoDisbandments then you might actually be able to track this. That being said, AA's have a much longer average lifespan than nations and don't follow those nice guidelines so it would be insanely hard to track in the current situation. The information from that is far less interesting anyway because the only AAs anyone gives a crap about are the ones that stick around for years.

if every AA that came and went would make official DoE's and DoDisbandments then you might actually be able to track this. That being said, AA's have a much longer average lifespan than nations and don't follow those nice guidelines so it would be insanely hard to track in the current situation. The information from that is far less interesting anyway because the only AAs anyone gives a crap about are the ones that stick around for years.

If you put a bottom margin on AA numbers, ie requires at least 10 members to be counted and must exist for atleast 2 data collections ie usually 31 days minimum, then it may be doable.

These numbers became deafeningly clear to me when Vox tried to elect another Red senator in our last month of existence. The first time around we had over 200 in-house votes plus all the crazies that switched to Red just to vote for us--it was easy as cake. The second time we had to rely solely on our own 30 members and unaligneds. The problem with unaligneds was that upwards of 1/5th of spam recipients were deleted just 48 hours after we compiled lists; the ones that were still "there" were just waiting for day 20.