Arctica Indian Ocean Territory established

Vedran

aiotflag.png

A horribly malformed image of the Flag of the Indian Ocean Territory

Public: As of July 1, 2009, Arctica lays claim to four island/islet groups in the Indian Ocean. They are: Bassas da India Atoll, Europa Island, and Juan de Nova Island in the Mozambique Channel (renamed Happy Atoll, Vedran I Island, and Sithis I Island respectively); the Glorioso Islands northwest of Madagascar. Since the islands are all uninhabited, the Indian Ocean Territory has no representation in the National Congress. However, as any further territorial gains Arctica makes in the Indian Ocean will be under the jurisdiction of the IOT, the Territory may be given representation if the islands have a sizable native population. The constituent islands of the IOT have been declared nature preserves (minus areas to be inhabited or reserved for construction).

Arctican EEZ now extends from the islands (except where it conflicts with foreign EEZ). Meteorological and radar stations will be placed by the Navy on Vedran I Island, Sithis I Island, and the Glorioso Islands. A new unit has been established within the Navy to provide protection to the Territory: the Indian Ocean Territory Defence Force. Several ground troops and vehicles have been placed under the IOTDF's command. Airfields will be constructed on the islands (OOC: basically whatever island has one IRL has one now). All the new islands (minus Happy Atoll) will have small facilities constructed to aid in the conservation of the endangered green turtles that nest there.

Not Public: The islands (minus Happy Atoll) will receive a small garrison of infantry, coastal artillery emplacements, and SAM sites will be installed on Vedran I, Sithis I, and Glorioso Islands. The weather stations double as surveillance outposts; this decision was reached after officials suspected Transvaal of doing the same with its new 'weather stations'.

IOT claims

Vedran I Island (Europa Island)

• Population: 0 permanent
  • IOTDF: 36 soldiers

Sithis I Island (Juan de Nova Island)

• IOTDF: 18 soldiers

Happy Atoll (Bassas da India Atoll)

• Uninhabited

Glorioso Islands

• IOTDF: 12 soldiers

Tromelin Island

• IOTDF: 8 soldiers

Seychelles

• Population: 80,000
  • IOTDF: 1,200 soldiers

Rodrigues

• Population: 35,000
  • IOTDF: 450 soldiers

Aldabra

• Uninhabited

Réunion

• Population: 800,000
  • IOTDF: 5,000 soldiers

---

IOT seats in National Congress: 9

Edited by Vedran

IC: Perhaps a map is in order so that there are no conflicting claims with Transvaal. I have a gut feeling the small islands northeast of the Comoros are part of our Seychelles claim bequeathed by Ranathar.

OOC: I have a BMP image (see below) which I posted *somewhere* on forums on or around March 24, 2009 which shows all the islands surrounding Arctica coming under Transvaal rule either directly (orange) or through grandfathered claims (red).

IC: Foreign Minister Hendrik Strijdom has sent a diplomatic note to the Arctican Government indicating that the Republic of Transvaal would consider discussions on the status of the Transvaler Indian Ocean islands once full diplomatic relations have been restored by Arctica.

2z4ergg.jpg

As of July 1, 2009, Arctica lays claim to four island/islet groups in the Indian Ocean. They are: Bassas da India Atoll, Europa Island, and Juan de Nova Island in the Mozambique Channel (renamed Happy Atoll, Vedran I Island, and Sithis I Island respectively); the Glorioso Islands northwest of Madagascar.

After further research through Foreign Ministry archives, the only overlapping claim here would be the Glorioso chain - which was part of the Ranatharist empire originally based in the Seychelles around a year ago but were turned over to Transvaal when Ranathar relocated to Somalia.

Transvaal has never exercised any claims over Bassas da India Atoll, Europa Island, and Juan de Nova Island in the Mozambique Channel - therefore we recognise this as Arctican territory.

After further research through Foreign Ministry archives, the only overlapping claim here would be the Glorioso chain - which was part of the Ranatharist empire originally based in the Seychelles around a year ago but were turned over to Transvaal when Ranathar relocated to Somalia.

Transvaal has never exercised any claims over Bassas da India Atoll, Europa Island, and Juan de Nova Island in the Mozambique Channel - therefore we recognise this as Arctican territory.

In light of this new information, the claim on the Glorioso Islands has been withdrawn and the chain has been added to the list presented to Transvaal earlier of territories Arctica wants. Arctica now wishes to discuss possible conflicting EEZs, especially north of Madagascar.

We will post an ambassador to Transvaal soon and upgrade your consulate with us to an embassy so discussions on the Indian Ocean islands can begin.

OOC: I must have missed that map. I didn't realize so much of the waters around me were claimed.

IC: The offer by the Dragon Empire is noted.

I didn't realize so much of the waters around me were claimed.

OOC: Most of the islands were scooped up by Ranathar last summer. He then handed them over to Transvaal at the end of September - around the same time we acquired the Comoros. Mind you, Arctica did possess the two closest Comoran islands at one point before all four came under Transvaler rule when the Vrystaat period decended over Arctica - so there is point which Arctica could try to argue their claim on.

IC: Foreign Minister Strijdom will make his way to Arctica to meet his opposite and begin discussions.

Upon his arrival in the capital, Strijdom would be led to a car which would take him to the Foreign Ministry building in the city itself, where the Deputy Minister handled things. While the Ministry's main offices were housed on the island just outside of town, it was much more convenient to meet with foreigners in the city itself.

The building itself was largely nondescript, with tan-colored walls, evenly spaced windows, a flag hanging over the entrance, and the words "MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS" carved below the flag.

The Transvaler was led to the office of Foreign Minister Ramiaramanana, normally unused as he spent most of his time in the other office. It was blandly furnished, though the chairs were comfortable. The Foreign Minister was of the Merina ethnicity native to Madagascar, so he looked more like a Pacific Islander than the black African that Strijdom might expect. He stood up to shake Strijdom's hand before asking him to sit down and settling in his own seat. His English was accented, though his pronunciation of the French names was impeccable.

"Welcome to Arctica, Minister Strijdom. My country, as you are well aware, is seeking to acquire the following territories from the Republic of Transvaal: Réunion, the Glorioso Islands, Tromelin Island, and all or part of the Comoros." There was already a detailed map of Madagascar and the surrounding area on the table, as well as a pencil for each of them. As Ramiaramanana spoke, he circled each of the mentioned areas.

"Firstly, Mayotte and Réunion each have sizable populations of ethnic Malagasy, and for this reason may be better served under Arctican governance. Changing the nationalities of these ethnic Malagasy would also make native Arcticans more comfortable, given the recent racial policies put into effect by the Republic." A not-so-subtle suggestion by the Minister that less colored citizens would increase Transvaal's white percentage.

"Transvaal's control over the uninhabited Gloriosos and Tromelin Island," Alain said, poking at the two with his pencil eraser, "extends Transvaal's EEZ (as showed by a recent map published by your government) to unacceptable points; not only does it conflict with our own, but it essentially fences off our northern and northeastern coasts. Our capital city, incidentally our busiest port, is located in the northeast."

"Mayotte and Anjouan, the easternmost islands in the Comoros chain," poke poke, "had been under Arctica's jurisdiction until Transvaal took control while Arctica was unable to govern them during the events of the August Betrayal. I would like to reinitiate the original agreement we had for the Comoros: Transvaal keeps the western islands, Arctica the eastern. If either government is unable or unwilling to govern the islands, the agreement is concluded with the other taking legal dominion over the entire chain, indefinitely." Of course, the original agreement only made provisions for Arctica losing the islands, but the Foreign Minister was either unaware of that fact or ignoring it.

Edited by Vedran

After listening carefully to what Foreign Minister Ramiaramanana had to say regarding the Arctican position, Strijdom opened his briefcase and pulled out some papers.

“I spoke with Consul-General... err, I mean Ambassador Cruywagen on the telephone and then met with Field Marshal Petrus Malan in person to discuss your territorial ‘requests’. From what you have just stated, I believe that the only point of contention would be the Comoros Islands.”

Strijdom glanced at his papers and then continued.

“Even before hearing what you had to say, my government after careful consideration had come to the conclusion to offer to hand over all our Indian Ocean island territories save for the Comoros Islands and Mauritius. Along with recognising your claims to the islands in the Mozambique channel, Réunion, the Glorioso Islands, Tromelin Island, we would also cede the Seychelles chain. The only condition to this handover of the islands would be the agreement to a grandfather claim clause in the agreement, in that if Arctica relinquishes or loses the islands, they legally revert back to the Republic of Transvaal. Also should the Ranatharists ever return to the region to lay claim to what is rightfully theirs – as the Seychelles, Réunion , and Tromelin were given to Transvaal in trust – then their claim would hold precedence over those of both Arctica and Transvaal. If agreed, then the handover would take place in no less than 72 hours, at one minute past midnight CN time.”

“However, the four main Comoros Islands and Mauritius are not up for negotiation – that has been made clear to me by Malan and the Republican Military Government. It is our intention to use them as forward bases once the surrender restrictions placed on our navy by the Karma alliances have been lifted.”

Strijdom then closed his brief case and leaned back to see what the Arctican response would be.

The Foreign Minister considered this for a moment. "Your terms are acceptable to me, on the added condition that if Arctica does lose the islands, and then Transvaal loses the islands after that without granting them to Franzharia, then the islands revert back to Arctican control. This would ensure that the islands are always in firm control of an established Southern African government: either Transvaal, Arctica, or Franzharia. By mutual decision between our two countries (or only Franzharia if they return, as a handover to them would be permanent), the agreement could be nulled and the islands handed over to a fourth party."

"Also, we will keep a corridor open for Transvaler military ships to pass from Mauritius to the mainland, if they decide to take the northern route."

Ramiaramanana realized that no meant no, and did not press for the Comoros. He knew his country would still want them, of course, and would bring the matter up when the situation changed in Transvaal.

Strijdom looked relieved. He had had no room to compromise - Malan had instructed him to offer the Arcticans the best that Transvaal would give and if they didn't take it, then it would be nothing at all.

Then he added:

"My government would appreciate free transit to and from the Indian ocean for our ships - once our navy is rebuilt. Transvaal has always followed an open seas policy in regards to the waters which come under our influence. You see, there never should be any worry from your side of having ocean access through our territorial waters."

"Your suggestion that the western Indian Ocean Islands always remain under either Arctican or Trasnvaler rule is a good one. Despite recent differences on the diplomatic front with the Republican Military Government, Transvaal has always viewed Arctica as one of our closest allies - if the term can be used here - probably more so than any other nation except for Tahoe."

"And regarding the Comoros, you do realise that they had been under Lübeckian rule since November of last year - so it stands to reason the Malagasy culture there had become diluted by the Nordic culture of Lübeck, making them probably closer to us Afrikaners than Arcticans."

Strijdom collected his papers and briefcase, stood up, and said as departing:

"I will draft up the transfer agreement when I return to Pretoria tomorrow. Let's say..." and he glanced at his pocket calendar, "that the transfer will take place one minute after midnight CN time on July 6/7 - is that agreeable to you? It will give my government time to evacuate the islands as well as update our territorial maps."

"We shall also take the appropriate measures to notify the international community of the land transfer" [OOC: posting update on World Map thread]

"And regarding the Comoros, you do realise that they had been under Lübeckian rule since November of last year - so it stands to reason the Malagasy culture there had become diluted by the Nordic culture of Lübeck, making them probably closer to us Afrikaners than Arcticans."

"Hmm, that is true, Minister. But that is a discussion for another time. For now I bid you farewell. Delaying the handover to the 7th will also give Arctica's government departments time to prepare to take formal control of the territories."

As Strijdom left, Minister Ramiaramanana began to roll up the map that was on the table. This was his first negotiation with a foreign nation, and the new Minister was pleased with himself. In his time working for the ministry, both in this position and ones below, he had noticed that whereas in other parts of the world, nations were willing to trash each other over small plots of land; despite their cultural and ideological differences Transvaal and Arctica had always been able to come to an agreement when it concerned regional stability and security, and now he had a part in maintaining that reputation.

The map put away, the Minister prepared to make the necessary calls and write the required reports.

News Report:

The Indian Ocean Territory Defence Force is swelling in numbers; no longer a small unit whose purpose is patrol duty for a handful of uninhabited islands, government and military spokesmen are confirming that the IOTDF is reforming into several battalions and changing hands from the Navy to the Army in preparation for the inclusion of additional land into the Territory. More information about this development in the coming days.

New sessions have also been scheduled for the legislature for July 5, suggesting these new developments may affect the number of seats in Congress.

In other news, public flatulence: racist or not? You decide!

Edited by Vedran

AGREEMENT BETWEEN TRANSVAAL AND ARCTICA REGARDING THE ISLANDS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN

By mutual agreement, the Governments of Transvaal and Arctica agree to recognize each other’s territorial claims in the Indian Ocean.

As of one minute past midnight on July 7, 2009 the Republic of Transvaal shall transfer control to Arctica the following islands and island chains under its control: Seychelles, Reunion, Rodrigues, Tromelin, and Aldabra.

Transvaal shall retain control over the Comoros Islands chain, Mauritius, and the Coco (Keeling) Islands in the eastern Indian Ocean.

Transvaal recognizes Arctican claims of Bassas da India Atoll, Europa Island, and Juan de Nova Island in the Mozambique Channel.

All islands in the Indian Ocean claimed by Transvaal and Arctica are covered by a mutual grandfathering claim whereas if one nation relinquishes or loses control, the claim then reverts to the other party in this agreement.

The following islands and island chains are covered by a grandfathering claim held in trust by Transvaal for Franzharia: Mauritius, Seychelles, Reunion, Rodrigues, Tromelin, Aldabra, and the Coco (Keeling) Islands. Should Franzharia reinstate its claim over those islands, Transvaal and Arctica would agree to recognise Franzharia’s claims to them and relinquish their own.

Transvaler island claims in the Southern Polar Seas and South Atlantic Ocean are not covered by this agreement.

[signed]

Field Marshal Petrus Malan

Commander-in-Chief of the Republican Military Governent

Republic of Transvaal

Hendrik Strijdom

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Republic of Transvaal

15ckggl.jpg

blue indicates Arctican island claims

orange indicates Transvaler island claims

Two signers from Arctica were present for the announcement.

Vedran I, Sovereign of Arctica

Alain Ramiaramanana, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Now that the details of the handover were made public, so was the main focus of today's meeting of Congress: the legislature was to officially decide how many seats the Indian Ocean Territory would get in Congress, the legal status of the regional languages, and other such things. The IOTDF was preparing to move into the territory over the coming days.

A government official commented that the agreement "almost finalizes Arctica's comeback to pre-Madagascar Freestate strength" and that it "symbolizes our entrance into a new age of prosperity." Indeed, the reconstruction from last year's devastating conflict was nearly complete, with many areas (mostly in the south) even surpassing pre-rebellion levels.

OOC: I appreciate the map, Botha.

OOC: I appreciate the map, Botha.

OOC: No problem. I'll archive it somewhere in the Transvaal CN Wiki pages for future reference.

IC: After signing the agreement, Foreign Minister Strijdom casually mentioned to Vedran that Field Marshal Malan would like to visit Arctica: "Now that the RMG has become more established, Malan would like to make an overseas tour soon to Transvaal's closest friends and allies - namely Tahoe, Arctica, and Repubblica Italiana. Would this be acceptable to Your Majesty?"

IC: After signing the agreement, Foreign Minister Strijdom casually mentioned to Vedran that Field Marshal Malan would like to visit Arctica: "Now that the RMG has become more established, Malan would like to make an overseas tour soon to Transvaal's closest friends and allies - namely Tahoe, Arctica, and Repubblica Italiana. Would this be acceptable to Your Majesty?"

"Malan is welcome to make Arctica part of his tour, just notify us beforehand so we can prepare for his arrival." Malan was unpopular in Arctica due to his whiteification of Transvaal and the violent suppression of labor protests, but along with the recent agreement Vedran felt that a visit might ease the tension a little when the people saw the two leaders meeting.

OOC: His style is "Your Excellency"

IC: The Congress has published the results of their deliberations. It has come to a consensus on matters regarding the IOT, and has changed some things nationwide. The Hierarchs have chosen not to contest the decisions. The following measures will take effect at the time of the handover, 00:01 on July 7.

The current National Congress has 99 seats, and these are permanent with each province having a set number based on their population as of the time of Congress' creation last year. With the addition of a new territory into the Union with a significant population, the system will be changed. Each province and territory will now elect a number of representatives to the Congress based on their population. There will be one representative for each 100,000 citizens (rounded to the nearest 100k). Going by the latest census (sometime last year) this new system brings the Congress down to 91 representatives.

By estimates (OOC: RL numbers) the Seychelles have a population of ~80,000; Reunion about ~800,000; Rodrigues ~35,000. The official population of the IOT will thus be 915,000. When the islands are annexed into the Union, and elections are complete, there will be 100 members of Congress. In the case of a tie in voting, the Thurokiir will act as tiebreaker.

The current official languages of Arctica are English and Malagasy: that is, they are the languages taught in schools, the languages spoken during government proceedings, and both languages must be present on signs. As Arctica is annexing areas where Malagasy is not a major language, a new system has been decided upon.

There will be a national language and regional languages. The national language is English. On Madagascar, the regional language is Malagasy. In the IOT, the regional language is French. This means that as the populated islands in the IOT are largely French speaking, signs will be printed in English and French. On the mainland, signs will be printed in English and Malagasy. Government proceedings in the IOT may be spoken in French, but English copies must be made of all records.

It is decided that Tromelin and Aldabra will be nature preserves.

Edited by Vedran

Under Franzharian rule, Reunion (and Mauritius) had a small Afrikaner minority which seemed to pre-date Transvaal's influence and control over the island. Assume that most will likely opt to leave the island and emmigrate to Transvaal.

Malan's visit will commence in three days on July 9th, before moving onwards to Italy (timing is fluid, so not sure when). While in Arctica, he would like to visit the typical historial and cultural sites of interest as well as a face-to-face meeting with His Excellency.

OOC: I'll start a separate thread when his tour begins

Edited by Botha

Under Franzharian rule, Reunion (and Mauritius) had a small Afrikaner minority which seemed to pre-date Transvaal's influence and control over the island. Assume that most will likely opt to leave the island and emmigrate to Transvaal.

Malan's visit will commence in three days on July 9th, before moving onwards to Italy (timing is fluid, so not sure when). While in Arctica, he would like to visit the typical historial and cultural sites of interest as well as a face-to-face meeting with His Excellency.

OOC: I'll start a separate thread when his tour begins

Arrangements will be made to receive Malan on July 9th.

The IOTDF has been deployed to the new additions, and elections have begun for legislators.

The IOTDF is constructing anti-ship and anti-air defenses, as well as radar stations.

The capital of the Indian Ocean Territory is Saint-Denis on Réunion.

Edited by Vedran