Debt of Honor

Sumeragi

In the private gate of Brisbane Airport (provided by Sarah), Ishima waited for his last interviewee to come.

This particular person had been kind enough to invite him for tea, but he didn't have the luxury of time, since Yamato needed him. He would have to settle for a short talk before boarding his plane.

As the glass door of the gate opened, the Keeper of the Marchar entered.

In the private gate of Brisbane Airport (provided by Sarah), Ishima waited for his last interviewee to come.

This particular person had been kind enough to invite him for tea, but he didn't have the luxury of time, since Yamato needed him. He would have to settle for a short talk before boarding his plane.

As the glass door of the gate opened, the Keeper of the Marchar entered.

The Keeper gave a slight bow, as was respectful to a man of Ishima's age and wisdom. "I feel a great elation to see you, Ishima-sama. I am glad of the chance to meet the man who leads our sister-clan on a personal level. I take it is...my turn?"

“I wouldn't know what Sarah thinks, since I'm not her. However, from a bystander's point of view, you are her head knight who also is her jester for when she needs the uplifting from the glooms of everyday life. In short, you're a sort of paradox: the person who is supposed to be one of the furthest from her, yet closest to her.”

De Luit nodded over his cup of tea, his hand on his chin thoughtfully. "Well, it may sound trite, but I consider myself whatever Sarah needs. If she needs a joke, she gets a joke, if she needs a sword, she has one...you see what I mean?"

He laughed, waving the steaming cup a pointer in his hand. "I suppose I should explain that; you see, I find Sarah to be...extra-ordinarily human. She's assumed this goddess role because she had to, but that isn't the real woman. Neither is the Politican, or the Teenager...there is a uniqueness to her I can't quite explain.

"And now allow me to presume beyond myself; I do not know even half of the woman yet; and I have fought and ruled alongside her for years now. But if I could...I would spend the life I have been given to try and learn her."

“That is very ambitious of you, to want to spend a lifetime getting to know one person, especially given your current position. The only way I can think of proceeding with your wish would be.....”

Ishima was silent for a moment.

“Why would you want to know her completely, and what is this uniquness you speak off? She is many things to many people, but your view seems to be one of the most complex.”

“That is very ambitious of you, to want to spend a lifetime getting to know one person, especially given your current position. The only way I can think of proceeding with your wish would be.....”

Ishima was silent for a moment.

“Why would you want to know her completely, and what is this uniquness you speak off? She is many things to many people, but your view seems to be one of the most complex.”

"I have seen her in many forms; so perhaps that is why I see her differently. I have indeed seen a goddess living underneath her skin...I've also seen a young woman uncomfortable with her position. She is politically savvy to a point that would amaze most people. We've spent a great deal of time living in each others heads, so to speak; and so I've heard her and seen her in her moments of humanity, of pain, of meanness, of anger, of sadness and joy. My view is complex...because she is complex, a human framed as a goddess, an angel belonging to humanity...and if I may speak plainly...a woman. A woman who has worn many faces and still remembers her own. This is her uniqueness among women, and this is why I have said what I've said."

“Her own face..... what would be her own face, and how are you sure about it? Perhaps you are getting a bit of hubris from being close to her for more time than most can even claim to be?

I'm sorry if you feel offended, but I do have to be suspicious of what you say. Your position as perhaps the closedt of her advisors mean things are very biased, and I want a clear view.”

Luis smiled. "Sir, I save my pride for the Hansa and my hubris for my soldiers. But it is hard to explain her...true face. I think you may have seen it; I saw reflections of it...aftershocks, you might say, after she returned from that week with you. To capture it is hard; she can be truly happy and not show it...and yet, it may appear during the middle of her greatest grief. I cannot say anything better than this....it is the face of a woman straining to hold the world in her heart...It is the face of the Unconquerable. That is why she is beautiful, why she is who she is...because at her core, beyond the hype, the discussions, the politics, the wars...she cannot be kept or hemmed in, kept on a rope or placed on a pedestal. The only way is to walk beside her. Unconquerable."

"No, Ishima-sama. What I see in her is an equal; and an equal who will brook no nonsense, at that. She is stubbornly making the world a world of equals; she is not tolerant of the slave or the tyrant. She wants nothing less than freedom for the whole world; freedom from fear, from hunger, from hate. And as impossible as it is to save the whole world; it does not keep her...or me..from trying. It's too beautiful a dream to let die, no matter how impossible. And why should we allow evil, slavery, and corruption to thrive if we can stop it? Because we believe in the impossible, because she dreams the impossible dream, we sometimes change what was once considered possible and not possible. And if we can do what was once believed to be impossible...does that really make our dream so undoable?"

"Besides...if Sarah Tintagyl is a butterfly, we are all butterflies. She is not above the human race; she is in it, and that is why she is beautiful. One can only worship a Goddess, Ishima-sama. One cannot love one; they are too foreign, too "unreal" for love. But she is a human among humans, and for that she is worth more than silver and gold."

Edited by Margrave

“.....”

He blinked his eyes at the Keeper.

“Your words are beyond my understanding.....”

Just then, a stewardess came to tell that it was time for boarding. Ishima rose from his seat.

“Regardlessly, I will say something: it will be truly painful if you continue being close to her. As much as she is a human being, she is an unrestrainable one, one who will go towards the path she set for herself, without being constrained. Are you ready to see that happen in front of your eyes?”

"I tell you this, Ishima-sama. One does not possess that woman; one cannot be possessed by that woman. One can only walk beside her; the only one she will accept is an equal."

He shrugged when he was asked that final question. "As a warrior, as a diplomat, in all my official functions...I am a sword in the hand of the Lady. As a person, as a man of understanding, who lives by the code and keeps the faith? I have already committed myself to being her agent, her chevalier, a stone in the house she is building. What Will be...Will be."