War in East Africa

SpacingOutMan

***Classified***

The Somalians' involvement was not unexpected, but the target of their involvement was not. If anything, it had been expected them to target the Aether (OOC: I know I didn't spell that right...) Empire as 'foreigners.' Not the admittedly brutal but still justified Nation of Nod. As such, the person giving these commands had no qualms about activating the agents.

Somal's intelligence agency was not fully up-and running yet, and thus they would be an easier target than most for any course of action that was taken.

They had no hope of directly sabotaging the forces already afield, as they had barely returned to their bases before being sent out, but they could wreak plenty of havoc back in the main nation, hopefully enough to initiate a recall.

Multiple objectives were considered--supply depots (including food, ammunition, and spare parts for vehicles and weapons), communication systems, and possibly even chain-of-command were all potential targets for disruption.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: I see.

IC:

***Classified***

The Somalians' involvement was not unexpected, but the target of their involvement was not. If anything, it had been expected them to target the Aether (OOC: I know I didn't spell that right...) Empire as 'foreigners.' Not the admittedly brutal but still justified Nation of Nod. As such, the person giving these commands had no qualms about activating the agents.

Somal's intelligence agency was not fully up-and running yet, and thus they would be an easier target than most for any course of action that was taken.

They had no hope of directly sabotaging the forces already afield, as they had barely returned to their bases before being sent out, but they could wreak plenty of havoc back in the main nation, hopefully enough to initiate a recall.

Multiple objectives were considered--supply depots (including food, ammunition, and spare parts for vehicles and weapons), communication systems, and possibly even chain-of-command were all potential targets for disruption.

OOC: Firestorm, not sure what might work here, so I'll need you to throw me a bone.

OOC: Go for it..

IC: Classified: 21st through 23rd Special Operations Groups are detached for service with the Intelligence Directorate for the duration of the war.

As the air-bombers of Somalia Approached it was the southern flank which would open fire... The War Tzars in the rear would provide long range support and focuss on larger RADAR spikes (IE potential bombers and paratrooper drop planes). When the word came the missiles lit up into the skies from their defensive positions. If they were lucky the enemy would come into the forests to play from the skies on the less then thick but constant enemy presence. Then shorter range anti-air units in the back half of the defensive lines could cover them in a barrage of hundreds of anti-air missiles and AA gun fire.

The three bomber wings and four fighter wings flying at 38,000 feet over four hundred miles to the south wonder what all the ruckus is from the north and keep flying towards the NOD forces. The bombers being based at M'Bossa, in the south of Somal, are in little danger of being flanked by any sort of Aether spikes, numchuckas, or such of the sort.

The front lines of the Nation of Nod would have to hold out in the meantime to their west while air-support was being thinned. Aether jets also scrambled on the targets and began striking supply locations in Northern Somalia. The two main cities in Somalia also gained a nice surprise as two EMP type cruise missiles flew over-head and fried electronics within at a dastardly pace. *Apparently launched from the Northern Aether Empire

OOC: these are being targeted by my planes.

***Classified***

The most visible targets would be public figures--whether politicians or military figures, so they would be saved for last. One agent actually managed, to his delight, to get dispatched to the front with the Special Operations group, but he would not let that elation get ahead of him.

His first attempt was to sabotage a food source, by poisoning it. Not the kind that would normally kill--a casualty could just be left behind--but a poison that would leave the victim c ompletely incapacitated and in pain for at least two weeks, tying up resources that could be used in the front.

Back in the nation, the first target was a weapons' and ammunition factory. If they could destroy any abilities the Somalians had to manufacture their own weapons, they would be forced to buy more, a costly and lengthy process.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: cool...

IC:***Classified***

The most visible targets would be public figures--whether politicians or military figures, so they would be saved for last. One agent actually managed, to his delight, to get dispatched to the front with the Special Operations group, but he would not let that elation get ahead of him.

His first attempt was to sabotage a food source, by poisining it. Not the kind that would normally kill--a casualty could just be left behind--but a poison that would leave the victim c ompletely incapacitated and in pain for at least two weeks, tying up resources that could be used in the front.

Back in the nation, the first target was a weapons' and ammunition factory. If they could destroy any abilities the Somalians had to manufacture their own weapons, they would be forced to buy more, a costly and lengthy process.

OOC: Who are you targeting anyway?

Classified

//Operation Change

///-> Operation Evisceration

All three fronts are to converge at pre-designated coordinates and launch a direct invasion of Nod.

**All infantry in the ISoA began their operative switch and began heading toward the Nodic territory.

**All stealth aircraft had already landed, refueled, and were heading toward the Nodic territory to launch their salvos

**All missiles are now on high alert

**DEFCON is now at 1

**All aircraft is to support infantry advance

**Navy is halfway through the Mediterranean

OOC: I hate to OOC, but this is important to the situation. I did an over-lay of the maps I'm using from Google and the map used by the Nation of Nod. Needless to say, unless your fighters are flying out of the NORTH then they're going to get hammered by the anti-air there.

Strategy2.png

The three bomber wings and four fighter wings flying at 38,000 feet over four hundred miles to the south wonder what all the ruckus is from the north and keep flying towards the NOD forces. The bombers being based at M'Bossa, in the south of Somal, are in little danger of being flanked by any sort of Aether spikes, numchuckas, or such of the sort.

So. As you can see, my forces have an OPEN COVER over practically half their forces and the other half to the North of that would require you to fly around them and attack from the north. Even still, you'll be in range. You'd also be attacking a good number of Nod's forces while they are in the forest... how you get targets from such regions I can't say, but I think air attacks and missile/artillery would be relatively ineffective. I also could have sworn I said somewhere that I wasn't using X-13s for these attacks (referring to the new jet-type fighters that I just haven't gotten the time to draw yet).

That stated, I would like you to reconsider your thoughts about your ability to completely dodge my anti-air. I don't feel it's been validly considered especially given that you'd have to fly over them for half your targets!

Also, SpacingOutMan, can I grab a map of your new strategy in the future? It would be helpful as I have a northern flank that is somewhat important to our posts there. IC to come sooner rather then later hopefully, at least in responce to the cruise missile attacks.

OOC: It's fairly simple, really. My three fronts converge into one and head toward Nod. :) On that note, however, I can't speak for Firestorm, but unless you have SAM missiles intended for antiaircraft that can surpass the speed of the FB-22 or altitudes of the Osprey's reach, unprepared antiaircraft isn't going to cut it. And at the tech levels Nod is at, antiaircraft won't do diddly unprepared. I suppose a wall of bullets might do *something*, but not high altitude.

Essentially, though, whenever we are doing this urban warfare, it'll be where my three forces converge if ya'll don't mind. I'll give an exact city location asap, and if it's okay to you guys, then we can RP it out that you guys somehow figured out the strategim etc.

The Brotherhood of Mol hopes the nations of Africa will pitty the Nod and not destroy them. It is not their fault that their leaders are false pro....incurably insane. Molakia will not militarily intervene in this situation, however our Merchant fleet has been dispatched to the area to provide Humanitarian Aid.

-Boris Vladimov, Grandmaster of BoM, Speaking on behalf of the Tsarina of Molakia

----

Off the Coast of Somal

Molakia Merchant Fleet

MMS Sarajevo

Archon Roe clicks the clip of his AK into his gun as several other members of the Brotherhood clean and check their equipment. Their Mission: Gather Intel on the Nod Leadership.

(OOC: NoN, can you give me a TL;DR of info when/if I am able to get it?)

Meanwhile, back in Cairo, the BoM operatives would be approached by a group of RA "security officers". The head "officer" would speak first. "We know why you are here. Don't ask why or how, but we would like to offer you our assistance, as we also have interests in Nod. If/when things hit the fan, and regardless, you will be sheltered in the RA and/or flown home if needed."

IC:

Von Zuk Control:

(Land)

Von Zuk stared over a battle map of his forces, they were laying rockets into the sky in the south and he was loving it. A big splotch of brown-red BBQ sauce splashed off the fronts where NoN forces were reported intercepting enemy UMS forces... Was the splotch of BBQ sauce an omen?! Well if it was, Von Zuk certainly didn't notice... Swallowing down the second half of his burger (the third one for his lunch) he swirled up the last of his soft-drink and pointed to the map.

Von Zuk: Gulp. There, our forces have secured the region, and just nearby the ground troops of NoN are doing heavy battle with enemy forces. The enemy still has air-control there, so we can't push forward. Instead we must nullify their air-attacks and force them to come in low as much as possible and produce a defensive base here to provide fire support for the NoN. I want 1/4 our forward recon to move quickly to the NoN front lines and start directing strikes from their forward position. That should be roughly 341 recon squads sighting positions to give us front line intel.

Von Zuk: Mumble mumble (starting on another hamburger). I MEAN NO! Wait, have another 341 squads , in addition to the original move out and take Bahir-Dar. It's on the southern side of the main lake of the region, have them move out via boat and start immidiate construction of fortifications on the main island there. Use the town civilian structures and populations to help in terms of supplies. Fortify the town and fortify the island with long artillery pieces being moved to the island and particular attention payed to anti-air units that occupy the island. Then I want some air-supplies to come in and drop us off some presents in the town, mark the planes as humanitarian. I need some of our naval defense units placed around the island. No Ghost fleet necessary. Have some of them contain sea to cruise missile capacity though and place about 10 of them around the island.

Von Zuk: To the north, have another 341 squads take Kola Diba, there is an old castle there... fortify the city and use that castle especially in terms of fortifications, anti-air and artillery pieces in terms of mortars. I want that place fortified well. Use the remaining squads (should be close to 1/4) to continue their forward patrols around our forces there and the ground forces we sent there dig deeper then they were able to before. I want every annoying mountain feature in that region utilized to force their air-forces low and slow for our anti-air there, but only keep 15% anti-air status, have 25% of the front line units switch to tank mode with all secondaries placed on machine guns and have the remaining 60% flip to missile and artillery types. Have them provide support fire for the Nod forces using the forward scouts as noted above. Ask Raochin for back up support and perhaps a northern flanking maneuver to cut off noted regions where we've seen interactions, flanking them from the North would provide an excellent help. At the very least get us some power and a bit of their air-support!

If we hold to our guns we'll turn that mountain range bloody with the enemy soldiers... they'll think twice before taking THAT path again.

Now... to Somal, Somal Somal... Sigh. Keep up the air-war and let's start moving in on them, have our artillery scattered through the region start smashing up Boomrama defenses and take the city with assaults from 10 recon units, 2 tanks... that's 512 men and a pair of powerful weapons. Have them keep to the mountains near the sea and use the flat lands there for addition speed before turning South where the mountains let off to hit the city from the North.

This strike is to happen tonight. I then want 1000 recon squads from the north territory to take an outbound trip to the south in the cover of nightfall through brownwater fleets and have the troops take Zodiacs to the south for a landing when possible where the mountains reach the sea... keep to the mountains and stay low and they should be able to move south unnoticed. Have our brown-waters start machine-gun bombardments of any naval to the north in a raid and then pull back quick.

The 1000 squads are to keep low and use the mountain passages to make their way to this region just north of Burco. The Maze like region there is to be mined and defenses are to be set up by night and our forces are to lay low there by day. They are recon so staying hidden shouldn't be a problem. The enemy will have more then enough of a problem taking on the forces at Boomrama. That maze though... it will be a labrinth of red sands... just like our treaty with the Raochins. Taking it from 6,000 men given the terrain there will be practically impossible, but with the lands mined and forces hidden and entrenched it will be nasty. Equip each binocular man in these squads with a sniper rifle too... this should be a pretty sight if we can make it work.

Strategy:

Strategy4.png

Maze of destruction:

Strategy5.png

Now... back to my food... Do we have Zuk Burgers up and running in the area yet?

Von Zak Control:

Von Zak staired a clear map plexiglass block with enemy lines and air-units constantly changing from a projection system reflecting off the white borders of the region which were drawn on with erasable markers when he had some urgent news come in.

Envoy: Sir! I've just recieved word that our RADAR units from Von Zuk are picking up planes moving north to intercept our ground attacks in Somal and our RADAR in the Aether Empire confirms this. The RADAR at the air-port though was destroyed... apparently... well.. the enemy has completely leveled our defenses there with missile strikes. It was practically a carpet bombing!

Von Zak stared forward... this was against his favor and there was no way his units could fully mount an air defense of the region and had no location to- No. Wait, a smile crept across his face.

Von Zak: No Commander that strike will not prove to be a problem. We should protect our air-fields better in the future, just have the planes complete their runs and return hanging close to the mountains, maneuver north and have them land in Raochin territory on THEIR air-fields. I'm relaying the info now.

This is General Von Zak of the Aether Empire requesting emergency landing admittance of our planes to any local military or civilian air-ports on the southern region of your nation. Our air-field was recently struck with a large number of long range cruise missiles and was completely destroyed. Our RADAR are also picking up inbound flights of enemy air-craft that may be targeting our territory or moving in to provide air-support, some friendly air-support from your side would be greatly appreciated.

Von Zak: That's about all we can do, we'll be launching strikes until we can set up a temporary air-field in the meantime from Raochin territory to the north... it's safer anyways. I'd like to repay the favor with our own cruise missiles some more... especially given that he DOESN'T have an allied air-field anywheres nearby to return to... but I would rather hold off for the time being while we gather more intel... I'd also like to know that most of his planes were on the ground when MY attacks hit... man...

Well, not much else to do. Have any helos keep up their flights and land on relatively flat regions for resupply and fuel... quite a few must have been hit in that attack though... shame.

Von Zepplin Control:

Von Zepplin, sat in total darkness pondering the ocean floor and the naval regions around the globe within the confines of his mind alone. That was all he needed after all. His orders were sent out just moments ago, before I could even write this post, but not that long. He had ordered that naval defense units be sent as requested to the regions noted by Von Zuk... and had continued the expansion of his naval defense units and ghost fleet systems in the Red Sea posing as brown-waters patrolling in order to make sure that "Raochin didn't try anything silly". Units were also being placed near Raochin as well and he was being given command over their control, but Ghost fleet would remain in Aether Control. This was all that was necessary... until that blasted Zarfef got him some REAL ships to play with.

Edited by Zarfef

As the first wave of inbounds from Aether were tracked Royal Cochin Air Force went into full swing. After all Cochin could not stay aloof while Somal was being attacked. For now RCAF will not be doing any offensive operations but purely barrier defense.

The RF16 regiment of Mig35s have been alerted to DEFCON ONE condition. One flight group of 4 Mig35s will be on air at all times. Two MERAT and a HALOB AWACS are in position to detect and interdict any hostile air force. The 9 MW power solid state phased array radars on HALOBs and the 4 MW radars on MERAT are a definite force multiplier.

Meanwhile the Tenth Infantry Regiment is gearing up for potential battle. Care taker crew are seen going to the vast equipment warehouses located just off the Number Three Runway of Bosaso Air Base.

Meanwhile the Cruiser Task Force 07 has left Bosaso Naval Base and is sailing into Gulf of Aden to provide additional Air Defense capability to Somal. The KUB cruise missiles are readied as is the massive 12 MW radars are in passive acquisition mode. The intentions have been relayed to Raochin and Rebel Army to this regard.

The VII Mechanized Division, the Naykar Regiment has been alerted for possible air lifting to Somal if the combat extends to Somal soil.

A message is sent through private channels to the Somal Government

Zarfef appears on screen next to a black background a red light turns on overhead.

Zarfef: This is a message to the nation of Somal, and a question to ponder by the world. A question, a question of issues. We the Aether Empire wish to know something. We wish to know how and why Somal has decided to attack the Nation of Nod? It a question of great importance because, our forces would not be fighting with yours if yours weren't attacking them. I think, that the reason you are attacking the Nation of Nod, is because in reality... you are far too similar to them. History, in the death of the leader of the ISoA was repeated was not?

The tape switches over to a history note taken on Somal from before:

The African Legion led by the notorious Mad Dog Bob Denard pushed the last of the warlords out of M'bossa this morning. The fighting was heavy, but swift in conclusion. Civilian casualties were kept to a minimum as Mad Dog Denard was able to maneuver his light infantry formations outside the city rather than having to capture the city in extensive house to house fighting. In the typical Mad Dog Bob Denard fashion the Somal Warlords were rounded up and promptly placed before firing squads. The mood of the Somal people is one of indecision at this point.

Some are torn between the joy of having the Warlords removed and the fear of what may well be the next of another foreign dictator. They are well aware of Mad Dog Bob Denard's blood drenched history, and this to is an issue of concern for them. It can be remembered that Denard has been spotted serving in at least half a dozen insurgencies, three major wars, and no less than twelve coup attempts all over the world. He has also been accuse of war crimes by at least two other governments. Thus far attempts to prove these crimes have failed as witnesses have proved scant.

Witnesses to last week's fighting say Mad Dog Bob Denard has comported himself with remarkable restraint. Civilian casualties were kept to a minimum. Prisoners were disarmed, given a stern warning to not return to the fighting, given food and money, and told to return to their homes. Only the Warlords that have plagued Somal in their own fashion have been executed. However, only time will tell if this is to the betterment of Somal or to the detriment.

The deaths of these "Warlords" or the warlord over ISoA, there is hardly a difference and both of you even executed one such figure on camera. These individuals, they were worthy of their deaths were they not? Overall, as before, I see no reason to fight you... I see no reasons for us to perform strikes on your infrastructure, to bring violence onto Somal soil that you have kept from the area for so long...

Overall, after the events of today, we are forced to temporarily be in a state of war with your nation. It is a war of defense against your forces and not a war of aggression but any territory we take, we will not so easily surrender. Pull your forces back to their front lines, stop these air-strikes and bring a call for diplomacy. I demand an end of hostilities, or else the air-strikes seen today will only be a taste of what is to come. Consider the events of today a mere warning.

OOC: 51 tech gives you third world technology vs. my 500 tech.

IC: Three Mig-35 fighters and 1 B-52 are lost. Electronic countermeasures, chaff, and other items keep the losses to a minimum. The Bomber's drop their loads of 1000 pound bombs on NODs larger population centers.

Northern Somal

The 5th through 8th Light Infantry Brigades dismount their vehicles and begin taking up positions in Northern Somal to block any thrusts through the Roachin held areas. They join the already deployed 4th Armored Division. Resistance cells are placed on high alert, Frontier Regiment forces are ordered back and into the rear. The Light Infantrymen are experts in their craft and they deploy accordingly to take advantage of defensible terrain. With them they bring mines, mortars, and towed artillery to support their operations as well.

With them are the 24 through 28 Special Operations Groups who begin actively probing northward to attempt to locate enemy forces. They have strict orders to avoid contact and the men move quickly and with great stealth as they disembark on their missions. The terrain is familiar to them as they've trained in the area before on numerous occasions and more recently in Operation Sudden Death.

Task Force Hammerhead

The Three Divisions of Armored forces proceed with their general advance behind a wall of artillery, mortars, and MLRS rocket fire. Scout cars and mechanized infantry are used to probe and locate enemy units prior to unleashing a barrage on them. The advance is slow, deliberate, and seemingly not at all what is to be expected for a massive armored assault. It would appear almost as if the intention of the Somal commanders is to hold forces in place to prevent their use elsewhere.

M'Bossa

**Private**

To Commanders of the 9th, 10th, and 11th Light Infantry Brigades:

You will reposition yourself for immediate seaborne transport. We will be preparing for a sea launched attack on Aether Empire's Arabian holdings with the support of allies. In support will be the African Legion and several Special Operations Groups.

M'Bossa

Nearly an entire Battalion of A/A units begin to deploy around the city and its critical installations. With them they bring the twin 35 mm cannons of the Grizzly anti-tank vehicles. At the airfield outside the city hundreds of men run this way and that as they reinforce the revetments that protect the aircraft of the Somal Airforce from flying projectiles.

Inactive Reserve Formations

In Central Somal, men of the Inactive reserve begin forming up into their wartime units as they disembark their buses, cars, and motorcycles. Nearly fifteen thousand men answer the call to duty in the opening hours of the war and are assembled into three heavy infantry regiments. These units are quickly given a variety of vehicles to allow them to mobility up and down the length of Somal as a mobile reserve.

Along the coast another twenty thousand reservists make the call to duty and are quickly put to work manning coastal defenses, watch stations, and assisting the Somal Navy forces in their interdiction duties.

Major cities across Somal show the call up of sizable defense forces who begin to man their stations and thus putting another thirty thousand men to work manning the defenses of Somal in vital points to control movement, defend critical installations, and to locate possible threats to the security of the Republic.

Edited by Firestorm

IC: Three Mig-35 fighters and 1 B-52 are lost. Electronic countermeasures, chaff, and other items keep the losses to a minimum. The Bomber's drop their loads of 1000 pound bombs on NODs larger population centers.

Pax Pacis condems the bombing of civilian targets and calls for action against the Somal government.

OOC: That doesn't make sense, you flew 90 air-planes over an entire enemy anti-air force with roughly 230 firing mobile units and roughly 800 (400 emplacements with two anti-air dedicated units per group) troop units. You would be dodging missiles in the thousands! According to the game RP rules:

Third World nations have a TE of 0.8, and Modern have one of 1. These are deviations from the formula as they emphasize that, yeah, your troops / weapons etc, are quite a bit worse than the standard (for Third World)/ are the standard (for Modern)

That's a head to head comparison of our weapon systems... So you're telling ME that if you launched thousands of missiles at my 90 air-planes I'd only lose only 5-6 airplanes? Your missiles would have to really be pathetic! (And those are just MY missiles, Nod also RP'd that they too had anti-air SAM sites in the region.

Post #5

We believe our 'Spangle' SAMs and 'Thrasher' SPAAG systems will be a sufficient counter to incoming guided ordinance and strafe runs...

And there are also there descriptions of Anti-Air (AA) systems.

So for the sake of any fairness here I have to call BS on this one, if a GM thinks that this is true then either everyone's military will have to be very weak and do absolutely nothing or your going to have to change the effective head-to-head comparisons of our tech... by something like an order of magnitude.

Edited by Zarfef

OOC: LVN and I were having this same conversation as you were typing apparently. His explanation makes a bit more sense than yours, but you are right. To revise:

OOC: I'm still waiting on your to accept the losses to your ground attack planes as well.

IC: The advancing air attack is taken under heavy fire as it approaches the territory held by NOD and the forces of the Aether Empire. Losses are heavy and of the ninety Bombers twenty three are shot out of the sky. Of the fighters twelve are lost and the attack is turned back to prevent further losses. It was a bloody encounter and not one the pilots and aircrew men of Somal will likely forget anytime soon.

For now the men on the ground will be shouldering the burden of the fighting.

***Classified to Dragon Bloc***

Requesting satellite imagery of targets based within Aether Empire on the African side of the Red Sea. Further, I will be requiring stores of replacement aircraft to make up for battle losses. Immediate order placed for 50 Mig-35 fighters along and resupplies of armaments as well.

Edited by Firestorm