War in East Africa

SpacingOutMan

Memorial Service

"This plaque that stands in this city shall forever commemorate the brave Mechodamian soldiers who lost their lives in the defense of moral justice. Their honor, valor, and courage shall live on into eternity as this grand nation steps forth into a new day and age. Forever remember the veterans who fought for justified dignity and ideologies, for it is because of them that you have these rights now. Each of you who read this memorial have been charged the task of honoring these sacrifices made by men of this day and age. Move out with honor, valor, and courage, because it is all we can hold dear and true in this world."

This plaque stood in the main city of Windurst... the military center of the United Mechodamian States. As it was erected on the city's public green, a similar one was erected at the capitol building in Sandoria.

And on all public broadcasting networks, a notable voice came about from the Lord Prefect Kilik Torqameda...

"My brothers and sisters. Today marks the end of a bloody war, wrought upon by the imperialistic and hastened actions of some. For far too long did we try to fancy the etiquette required by some nations, notably Somal. In our left ear they whispered near racist comments, and my other ear was consumed by the words of someone who I thought I could trust.

Both sides lost so much in this war, and I do not mean the casualty counts. I was away during this entire ordeal striking a deal with a foreign nation... all the meanwhile Grand Patriarch Pelee Shoustin under minded my wishes and proceeded with war. Even worst, his actions were the direct result of Somal's wishes in private channels outside my knowledge.

It is with this first part of my announcement that I declare the removal of Pelee Shoustin as Grand Patriarch and make his arrest order official to the entire public. As we speak he is in handcuffs, being located to a safe and guarded facility where he will spend the rest of his days for the crimes of high treason, conspiracy to enact war, directly pillage the chain of command, abuse of power, and an assortment of war crimes. He will receive a fair trial, of course, but justice always finds a way to do what is right.

However, our men fought bravely, always pushing forward and never being stopped. This sort of valor is what we strive for our military to be, and it couldn't have been done without the forethought of Zemunda St. George, my Patriarch of Military of Affairs. He was the first, along with Grand Commander Callin Rorck, to attempt to subvert war in the military branch, and it is with great happiness that I pronounce Zemunda as the new Grand Patriarch under my watchful eye. To replace him will be Grand Commander Callin Rorck, the first female in government for many years.

As I said, both sides lost so much and it didn't have to be that way. Unknown to the public, we almost launched a salvo of missiles at the Nod capitol of Addis Abba. Shoustin thought that by killing millions of innocent lives, victory would be achieved. Thankfully cool minds prevailed, and the innocent losses incurred were minimal.

This doesn't excuse the fact that we played along into a larger scheme fore played by Somal, and instead of pulling back when they did, we continued. This atrocious miscalculation will never been seen again by our military as we will be revamping our entire military department and putting to trial certain individuals who committed atrocious war crimes.

Our soldiers were lead on by a criminal and I can only sincerely apologize to the families of so many. I only wish that my absence hadn't caused the loss of so many lives. Let this day, as we erect two large marble memorials, be forever remembered as Veteran's Day within our great nation.

And to the people of Nod who may be picking up this message I do have a few words that must be said...

War is an ugly monster that lurks in the night, and it brings out the worst in some. Your sons and daughters fought bravely to secure your rights as a country, and any self-respected group of individuals would have done the same. I can't begin to apologize for what Shoustin had done, but what I can do is offer a simple olive branch to try and begin the road to recovery, whatever that may be. We are both African-borne nations and it is both of our duties to ensure that peace prevail throughout our regions of Africa.

I can understand that your people hate us, that your people despise our actions, and I would feel the same way if someone had invaded my country. However, both of our nations were at fault for this war, and we do admit to our own blame. With this olive branch, whenever it is accepted, or not, shall mark the beginning of a new era in North Africa. This peace that we now have has already put things into motion that are simply unexplainable. We sparked peace despite glowing differences, and that is why Mechodamia is now looking to revamp how it deals with other nations diplomatically.

This olive branch offering shall stand eternally, and it is welcome to be taken at any point. The wounds of many will never be mended on both sides, but hopefully one day this attained peace between our two nations can bring peace between our minds. We are both of the same original people countless generations ago... we are nearly cousins!

I look forward to the day when this is looked upon in the past and is seen as not a hindrance, but rather as a growing experience for the entire world. This is why so many groups and organizations fight for peace so that others may not have to suffer so much. I can only hope that our war has put some dissuasion in the minds of world leaders to pursue military action over diplomacy. Maybe our apology will not resonate now, tomorrow, or a decade from now, but it shall always stand true. We are not a war mongering people... we have always fought for peace, but unfortunately not even we are exempt from the greed and corruption of some..." his voice trailed off as he exited the panned view of the cameras.

Veteran's Day... a day that would always be remembered.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: This shall be my final OOC reflection in this thread.

I would also like to thank everyone who read this thread and posted their feedback. It was fun doing it this war, and I think EM for being such a good sport about everything. :) This is how I would like to conduct all my wars, and EM is a great example of someone who you'd want to war. Not only was he very cooperative, his posts contained substance and entertainment. Wars should not be waged without some sort of art and eloquence as it is not cut and dry... and I would like to thank EM, again, for making this an enjoyable experience.

IC:

The Executive Minister stood silent atop a balcony overlooking the Mausoleum where the fallen of Kolfe would be interred. The large figure watched as the last Militant caskets were given their last rites before workers lifted the coffins into their respective slots. The process was a painstakingly careful one at best - each man was profiled as best as possible with fingerprinting, facial recognition software and in the case of the last men to die, dental records...

Each casket would be adorned with its owner's weapon - stripped of all ammunition, firing mechanisms and electronics, of course. Any war trophies attributed to the Militants actions were also draped over the container - each and every man in Kolfe was also posthumously awarded the Legion of Merit, the highest honour a militant can hope to achieve within the armed forces of the Nation of Nod.

With a deep breath, his head silently nodding, the EM stepped back and gazed one more time at the solemn scene below him. Turning away, he headed towards the Temple Secundus' Inner Sanctum, where Michaelson had urgent news.

"The UMS are suing for peace!" the General scornfully remarked. "They say that the invasion was due to coercion on the part of the Somalians and a corrupt Intern Government!"

"Accept it and move on." was all the EM replied.

"Sir, you can't be serious! The NoN populace will see this as us forgetting the lives thrown away here!" Michaelson threw his hand towards the place the EM came from.

"Sir, please, with all due respect, you'd be living in a damn dreamworld laughing with the butchers that caused this mess if you accept!"

If the EM was phased at all by Michaelson's accusations, he did not show it. Without responding, he walked over to a chair at the Operations Hub and sat down, a long and audible sigh escaping his lips.

"Michaelson, I am well aware of the implications of accepting the peace treaty. However, your solution to ending this war and any future conflicts with an increased military build up is unfathomable. We simply cannot win in an arms race against the UMS... the next time they decide to war against us, I fear more than the paltry sum of 3000 of our citizens will die."

"Sir, If you gained anything from the Memorial Ceremony, then surely you know our people are well aware of the risks and are prepared to die for their Country!"

"Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? Our entire population could have been wiped out, had Shoustin launched those missiles. We were so close to fullfilling that oath of loyalty to our Nation."

"We will accept the peace, but it will be nothing more than words," the EM continued, "Unless those responsible for the Invasion are sent to us..." he ended with a cold tone.

Sighing, Michaelson deigned to see the error of his ways. "Sir, I apologize. I went out of line multiple times..."

Staring off into the distance, the EM said, almost to himself, "We will have our peace, while the people have their bloodlust satiated.... Dispatch a response now. We were equally to blame in the eyes of the UMS, be sure to acknowledge that."

[...]

The common NoN militant, is born and bred in a culture where pity and mercy are but a weakness to be exploited, where those who hesitate are weak, and the weak will die, unless someone strong protects them. Most civilizations would look at this sort of society as spiteful and bloodthirsty, but as we now explain to your people, these are conclusions made out of fear and ignorance. What we really thirst for is honor, which can only be achieved with challenge, through conflict with a worthy foe.

You have proven yourselves to be that worthy foe. We respect the UMS' invasion upon our land, and feel no regret or anger about being bested by a clearly superior foe. Our nation's collective driving attributes are ambition, discipline, aggression, and loyalty.

While your nation has expressed the first three with utmost clarity, the actions of the one you refer to as Shoustin are disloyal. Previously mentioned, we do not hold a grudge against you for besting us, however we do have objections to being the subject of one's personal manipulations.

We hereby accept your Peace Offer. However, in order for this "peace" to be more than words, we request Shoustin and any others your judicial system has implicated in the wrongful invasion attempt of Addis Ababa be transferred to the NoN for punishment.

Our nation has benefitted from this war, no doubt, in the terms of Combat experience, military hardware and personnel assessment. Such perfection is what the NoN longs for. We are on the path to rehabilitation and restructuring and will emerge from our Nation's ruins a stronger and united people.

While our people are not afraid of sacrifice, we cannot let the fact that the war was fought for certain deceitful underlying forces remain on this Earth. Such a slight would mar the sacrifices made in the conflict.

We eagerly await your intentions...

- General Michaelson, Supreme Commander of the Nation of Nod Militia on behalf of the Executive Minister, Executive Minister of the Nation of Nod.

Edited by Executive Minister

Zemunda, now as Lord Prefect, gave a faint smile.

To the leadership of the Nation of Nod,

It was on the battlefield that I led the Mechodamian forces into your land. It was on the battlefield that I saw needless bloodshed spilled. It was on the battlefield that I found honor on both sides... fit for survival, though never relinquished by dry need. You, the Nods, displayed an attribute seldom seen in the eyes of the unfortunate... the ones whose fate slams against the overwhelming odds. And mind you it is because of this war that we are revamping our entire military conclave, to better suit nations such as yourself who pride themselves on nationalistic bravery as supposed to technological advancement. For that, as a general and tactician, I can never begin to thank you, but at the same time I feel only regret for the cost was heavy.

As you must be aware, Lord Prefect Kilik Torqameda was assassinated a mere few days ago by a terrorist cell lead by the former temporary Archon Viterbo and Ex-Grand Patriarch Shoustin. As much as I would love to oblige giving over the !@#$%^& known as Shoustin, his actions have caused much harm to both our great countries. It is with this that I propose a mutual idea, as we both seek justice for our people. There can be a joint tribunal for these war crimes committed by not only Shoustin, but the other nine alleged co-conspirators in this criminal misdeed.

I can understand your nation's woes and, with this peace, I feel obligated to send money to aid in the reconstruction of Addis Abba, notably the damage done by the aerial bombardments I had personally ordered. I also understand that ideally, this is unrealistic, as is most peaceful ventures following a war. With this I make a second proposal: the UMS can, indeed, send unmarked quiet aid. I fully understand if you are to not accept this, and I do not believe it'd hinder any future between our two nations.

It is also my greatest pleasure to inform you, though it may not dolefully matter, that just before Lord Prefect Torqameda's assassination, the UMS marked its recognition of the Nation of Nod as a nation once more, which should have never been unrecognized in the first place... another deceitful act brought upon by Shoustin.

Both our great nations sit in the midst of a tumultuous world, brought on by forces beyond our control. North Africa is slowly being assimilated by foreign powers as we sit here without any objections. Now is not the time for our two active nations to act derisive toward one another and spew hate at each others' citizenry, which thankfully has not happened. Now is the time for cooperation and the pursuit of peace, but also compromise.

Sincerely,

Lord Prefect II Zemunda St. George, United Mechodamian States