"Swing Life Away"

Margrave

No one really expected the day to go as it did.

Later, De Luit would have to issue a personal apology to the entire Lilian Guard security detail of the Lady Tintagyl. He would also dock himself a days pay (A trifle for him) and make a note of "negative in his monthly fitness report.

That still wouldn't change what De Luit had done that day, however....and the thought never crossed his mind that it wasn't worth it.

*The Great Hall, Brisbane*

Before the Lady Protector Sarah Tintagyl laid a problem...a five hundred page problem, in fact, a speech that constituted a rebuttal of every major diet member's facts, figures, and hoary apocraphyl stories about the evils of GA's EEZ and the national waters of the Hansa. It was a master work; produced by the overworked minds in her Writing and Speech staff, who had started tacking on massive phrases no one understood after thirty six hours awake. It was mean weapon, a brutal bore, something to designed expressly to destroy the minds of the weaker Diet members who ran an organization of what was beginning to be called "The Opposition". It had been Sarah's idea; or at least, that is what her secretary would tell her later, when Sarah realized she would have to give the speech herself.

She seemed to be dressed in her normal conservative attire, ready to face the Diet, the world, to once again charge into the maw of darkness and bring back a shining light...

Not today.

De Luit entered the personal sitting room of the Lady Protector, catching her moments before she left for the dreaded speech. He looked around to make sure her guards and staff were distracted, and then whispered in her ear.

"There is a set of car keys in my hand that go to a midnight black Buggati Veyron that is parked in the Executive spot. In it are two surfboards, a six-pack of IBC brand root-beer, and a full tank of gas. If we run right now, we can dodge the worst of the traffic and be at the beach sooner than you can say "I hate politics". So...shall we go?"

She only blinked in disbelief. He had to be kidding, this was coming from the person though for as many times as the two of them had goofed off in diplomatic meetings and such. But this wasn't a diplomatic meeting, this was a three hour ordeal that would leave her hoarse for the next two days and in the recent times since the attack, she had been filibustering almost every week. Opposition parties made her scoff, a bunch of rich asses who figured that their appointed positions in the Diet entitled them to make decisions effecting either foreign or internal policy. They had no idea what politics even were, they knew the balls and the parties, and the big houses and luxury cars. However, this of course was a very important meeting, especially on such a shaky subject as economic zones within Pax Pacifica.

Sarah looked up at Luis with bewildered eyes. "Surf boards?" He nodded. "Well I have to hand it to you, that quite a surprise, but..." Sarah looked out towards the hall leading down to the Great Hall, already brimming with Senators. "This isn't going to do anything for my shaky reputation Luis." Closing her eyes she thought for a minute. "A Veyron and the beach?" She moaned. "Ohhhhh, goddamn it." The speech...the novel weighed heavy on her hand and quickly flipping it open she looked at a few of the paragraphs. This one was going to be extremely boring, hell this one might even put her to sleep at the podium. "I really shouldn't Luis...I really shouldn't...work before play..." She sighed looking at the back hallway...

She only blinked in disbelief. He had to be kidding, this was coming from the person though for as many times as the two of them had goofed off in diplomatic meetings and such. But this wasn't a diplomatic meeting, this was a three hour ordeal that would leave her hoarse for the next two days and in the recent times since the attack, she had been filibustering almost every week. Opposition parties made her scoff, a bunch of rich asses who figured that their appointed positions in the Diet entitled them to make decisions effecting either foreign or internal policy. They had no idea what politics even were, they knew the balls and the parties, and the big houses and luxury cars. However, this of course was a very important meeting, especially on such a shaky subject as economic zones within Pax Pacifica.

Sarah looked up at Luis with bewildered eyes. "Surf boards?" He nodded. "Well I have to hand it to you, that quite a surprise, but..." Sarah looked out towards the hall leading down to the Great Hall, already brimming with Senators. "This isn't going to do anything for my shaky reputation Luis." Closing her eyes she thought for a minute. "A Veyron and the beach?" She moaned. "Ohhhhh, goddamn it." The speech...the novel weighed heavy on her hand and quickly flipping it open she looked at a few of the paragraphs. This one was going to be extremely boring, hell this one might even put her to sleep at the podium. "I really shouldn't Luis...I really shouldn't...work before play..." She sighed looking at the back hallway...

"Did you know that the Opposition Leader was apparently told by someone that you would be canceling your appearance today in order to chastise the Loyalist Party Leader? And that the Loyalist Leader was told that no such thing was true and that we had arranged for you to have a day off, away from the stress? I do believe someone even offered to convey his sentiments to the Lady Protector, something along the lines of "If that overworked woman doesn't enjoy herself today, Luis De Luit will be charged with treason!", I believe. It's funny how people are open with you when you actually give them trust and respect...and funnier that people are always ready to believe pleasant un-truths. But that's people, I suppose."

He looked around, just once, scoping the place out. "I know a servant entrance to the garage we can take from here...we could be on the sand in thirty minutes." He added that last one teasingly, watching her will to resist fall out from under her as he made her envision sweet alcoholic drinks, blue beautiful waves, and the warmth of the sand between her toes. "C'mon, I dare you to say no and go address the Diet instead. I dare you."

"Did you know that the Opposition Leader was apparently told by someone that you would be canceling your appearance today in order to chastise the Loyalist Party Leader? And that the Loyalist Leader was told that no such thing was true and that we had arranged for you to have a day off, away from the stress? I do believe someone even offered to convey his sentiments to the Lady Protector, something along the lines of "If that overworked woman doesn't enjoy herself today, Luis De Luit will be charged with treason!", I believe. It's funny how people are open with you when you actually give them trust and respect...and funnier that people are always ready to believe pleasant un-truths. But that's people, I suppose."

He looked around, just once, scoping the place out. "I know a servant entrance to the garage we can take from here...we could be on the sand in thirty minutes." He added that last one teasingly, watching her will to resist fall out from under her as he made her envision sweet alcoholic drinks, blue beautiful waves, and the warmth of the sand between her toes. "C'mon, I dare you to say no and go address the Diet instead. I dare you."

"They really said that?" She could see a few senators staring back at her from down the corridor, but she could feel the 'novel' slowly slipping from her hand. Sarah could feel the hot breeze of the ocean blowing through her hair, the hot sun against her snow white skin, the absolute beauty of the Pacific. Then the speech feel from her fingers and hit the floor with a loud thud. She looked over at Luis and laughed. "Dare?! You think you can dare me?! I dare you to catch me!" And in the total transformation of juvenilism, Sarah stuck out her tongue and tearing off her heels ran full speed from her quarters in the Diet towards the Great Hall where the Diet had begun to gather. After all there was no real fun of going down the servant entrance. No, if you wanted to leave in class, you had to blast through the people that needed to hear you speak.

Sarah ran full speed down the hallway as the old men in front of her looking in horror as their Lady Protector changed right in front of their very eyes, into a girl that seemed no older than sixteen. Weaving through boundless lines of senators and elder Diet members, Sarah made quick apologizes in passing making a bee-line for the grand staircase that led out towards the parking lot. Still worried that Luis was right behind her she reached the banister and jumped up into the air and landed on the rail as gravity began to work.

The finally polished wood of the marble staircase pushed her down towards the main floor with awesome speed as Hanseatic Marines gave way to get out of the bullet that would follow after Sarah hit the ground. Landing directly on her feet, she didn't waste anytime picking herself back up and in a stagger ran towards the doorway. "Open the door! Open the door!" She shouted laughing at the guards that stood like toy figurines at the entrance. Their eyes boggled, barely being able to think before grabbing the hands and yanking the glass doors open as Sarah blew passed them. "Thanks!" She yelled once outside and climbed into the car to wait for Luis, still panting from her escapade down to the parking lot. In the car she took off her jacket, broach, and undid her hair, trying to get cool and stop sweating. But she couldn't stop smiling, couldn't stop laughing, she would have to do that again.

The Senators and guards had begun to gather down on the main floor as they were still trying to process what had just happened.

"Wasn't she supposed to make a speech?"

"I thought so...."

On of the guards scratched his head. "So if the Lady Protector took the day off...can't we?"

---

Once in the car and Luis arrived, Sarah turned and smiled. "I really appreciate that Luis, I really do." She was still sweating, panting, and smiling. "But we have to go to the manor first if we're going to the beach, I have to get my bathing suit and some other stuff."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

The De Luit who appeared a few moments later was a man Sarah Tintagyl had never seen in her life.

His usually combed back hair was spiked, for one thing; silver hair glinting in the fluorescent light of the parking garage. His military apparel had been completely abandoned (Save for a couple of small tattoos she might glimpse on his legs and arms), in favor of a purple hoodie that proudly displayed the moniker "Beach Bum" across the chest, a pair of long, baggy shorts, and a strange pair of sandals that looked like house shoes converted for beach wear. Years of discipline and rigorous application of military knowledge dropped away as he hopped into the Veyron, pulling a large beach-bag from the back seat and plopping it on her lap. "So apparently someone was gossiping with her guards and happened to drop a few major hints as to how much she just HAD to have the new styles in swimsuits, and just how cute those sandals were she'd seen one of the Lilians wearing off-duty. I don't know, I don't hear these things myself, but I believe some accident in the bank allowed for a transfer of funds to one of our private accounts...and maybe a group of giggling Lilians went shopping for you? Maybe? You'll have to ask someone better informed than me."

He eased the driver's seat up and took the wheel, distinctly ignoring Sarah's pout for a chance to drive. "You get to drive it on the way back...but first, you get to learn how real speed demons drive."

When Sarah saw Luis again, in his "outdoor" wear she couldn't help but laugh and shake her head. Then when he dropped the bag on her lap and Sarah undid the zipper, her eyes widened with joy. "They bought me a swimsuit?!" She pulled out the blue bikini and smiled. "Oh they are good, cause this was the one I had been talking about." She shook her head again. "I have to learn to keep my mouth shut."

Though when he told her about the accidental funding for the shopping spree, she gave a small frown. "You know Luis, you could have easily just asked me for my personal funds. I wouldn't have minded you guys going shopping for me. Trust me."

But when he took the wheel by himself, her face dropped to to the floor. "But...but...its a Veyron...I never got to drive one..."

"You get to drive it on the way back...but first, you get to learn how real speed demons drive."

She scowled and sat back, arms crossed. If she was supposed to be sixteen again, then acting like a brat wasn't unbecoming, but when the car took off, she lost the feeling, as the wind whipped through her hair and she leaned back. "Well when we get to the beach, I'll get changed. Though, Luis, I should tell you, I've never surfed before. So I hope you're not expected anything from me. The Baltic isn't really surfing area."

When Sarah saw Luis again, in his "outdoor" wear she couldn't help but laugh and shake her head. Then when he dropped the bag on her lap and Sarah undid the zipper, her eyes widened with joy. "They bought me a swimsuit?!" She pulled out the blue bikini and smiled. "Oh they are good, cause this was the one I had been talking about." She shook her head again. "I have to learn to keep my mouth shut."

Though when he told her about the accidental funding for the shopping spree, she gave a small frown. "You know Luis, you could have easily just asked me for my personal funds. I wouldn't have minded you guys going shopping for me. Trust me."

But when he took the wheel by himself, her face dropped to to the floor. "But...but...its a Veyron...I never got to drive one..."

"You get to drive it on the way back...but first, you get to learn how real speed demons drive."

She scowled and sat back, arms crossed. If she was supposed to be sixteen again, then acting like a brat wasn't unbecoming, but when the car took off, she lost the feeling, as the wind whipped through her hair and she leaned back. "Well when we get to the beach, I'll get changed. Though, Luis, I should tell you, I've never surfed before. So I hope you're not expected anything from me. The Baltic isn't really surfing area."

De Luit laughed, leaving the windows down, the radio blasting a crazy French electronica song just out of Normandie called "The 'a la Menthe"...he let the music and his driving sync, speed and and focus coming together as they tore down the highway, breezing by many a "Sports Car" along the way. He yelled over the radio and the wind, the endless horizon of the ocean appearing at a distance. "You'll love it! There is nothing like going out and meeting a pure force of nature and then riding on it with a piece of a tree as your only way of taming the wave...Of course, we'll start you out slow, but once you see the professionals attacking the big wave, you won't want to shoot for anything else!"

He brought the Veyron onto a side road, away from the more popular spots along the Queensland coast, breaking most speed limits along the way, eventually pulling in to a secluded beach, a secret spot where true lovers of the sea gathered daily to attack beautiful waves and talk about the Surfer's Way. Already, their was a small crowd, scattered across the beach, ongoing beach parties gathered around a bonfire, or a BBQ pit, or a beer cooler. Students, military members off-duty, perpetual beach bums, blue collar workers...all pursuing the simple passions of the sun and the surf.

He parked close to the beach, a shack for the bar and an attached changing room. Rather than be secluded, Luis had invited a few of the Lilians, some of his own men. They'd been clearly told; today was about having fun and taking it easy; as such no rank was to be used and everything that happened today was to be quietly forgotten in any official logs. These were happy young people, dedicated but excited, eager at life; they had no problem treating the Lady as simply another really cool person to chill with. Some Hanseatic students had been invited as friends-of-friends, a few Promise Landers and Cymreag's were there as well; invitations had gone out a week or so ago as De Luit had planned this little beach bash. The crowd would grow somewhat once the party really got under way, but for now it was a good, chill group of about fifteen or so. Luis shooed Sarah away to change...and pulled out a massive cooler as soon as she went into the room, pulling out three cases of beer...and three cases of long-neck bottles of root-beer, just because. The BBQ pit was starting up, and when she came out, she'd be greeted by blasting music, people playing volleyball...and the endless temptation of the surf hitting the shore.

All in all, a good day to swing life away.

Sarah couldn't help but feel excited to have a sudden day off and racing down the back roads towards the beaches north of Brisbane was a much needed surprise. Surfing too made her extremely anxious to get to the beach, she had seen countless people surfing from her tours on the coasts. It was all the rage for the Hanseatic youths, and the magazines depicted the young romances between the Marchars, Hanseatics, Promised Landers, and Cymreags, even a few Aotearoans given the chance. But there was definitely a culture of the sea that reflected Brisbane and Sarah couldn't help but feel a bit outside of the loop. She was still the Finnish girl that lived in snow storms and ice flows. So for some reason, when the great ocean opened up in front of her, even though it had do so multiple times, it seemed so much better this time. So much more open, so much more blue, so much more beautiful.

As they exited the car, they could already see a large group gathered on the beach, which immediately set Sarah at ease. She was tired of the private parties, with the Hanseatic elites, it was finally the time that she could be really normal. Just like one of the many water loving people of her country. Luis and Sarah parted after the car as she went to the small beach tents to throw on her swimsuit. It was perfect and the sandles fit perfectly as well. Walking out of the tent she walked towards where Luis had gathered with a larger group of students and friends.

normal_uu.jpg

She picked up a can of beer and cracked the tab, letting the liquid run down her throat. "So what's first on the agenda today?"

Luis cracked open a beer, toasted her, and drank it down, wanting to get into the right mood for the evening. Tossing the can into the trash, he took Sarah's hand and led her down to the beach. He'd already posted the 'boards next to their shady area, and they'd get to play with those soon enough....but for now, the ocean beckoned, and Luis was ready to introduce her to it.

As they walked into the water, Luis felt himself relax...like he hadn't in a long time. "Sarah, meet the Pacific Ocean. Pacific Ocean, Sarah." He chuckled just abit as the gentle tide moved them both. They stood hip deep in the water, moving with the tide, and Luis hummed for just a moment as he felt himself return...back to older days, gentler days, and a forgotten self. "We'll get to those boards here in awhile, but first, let's just feel the ocean for a minute. You haven't gotten a chance to be in water that wasn't cloroxed and super-cleaned in...how long? Get used to the natural rhythm of the sea, it'll help you out alot once you get on a board." He closed his eyes, moving with the sea, feeling himself get into sync with the pull of the tide and the movements of the wind. "The Ocean doesn't care. That's the first thing you should put into your mind. The Ocean doesn't care about problems, about people, about politics, about grief or suffering...the only thing it cares about is movement, pure motion. This is where people come to let go, to forget, to travel, to fish, to be....just to be. This is the safe place in a world without safe places."

He meditated on that for a moment, and then laughed, realizing how serious he sounded. "So hey, let's see you swim! I bet you haven't swam in anything with a tide in who-knows-how-long...maybe you've forgotten!"

The Fuyo-clann were a strange groups, to say the least. While the older generation were still pretty much Kyokujitsujins, the youth were very close to the Marchar. This was particularly shown in how the newer generation stayed in Mainland Hansa while the rest (1 million out of about 4 million) moved to Japan. Those who stayed.... well, they lived the lives of what a citizen of Hansa should be: Fun-loving.

The beach had quite a few Fuyo-clanns, and among the umbrellas set up, one of them hid a petite girl in a yellow bikini, drinking Sex on the Beach. As she looked at the peaceful ocean, she noticed a familiar face far off near the waves.

"Wait..... isn't that Sarah onee-chan, Mamoru-kun?" She asked the young man who was standing next to her.

"I think so. Can't be sure who's next to her."

"Probably De Luit. Let's go check!"

Dusting off the sand, she stood up from her towel and half-jogged down to the shore, her ruby eyes shining mischievously.

OOC: Unexpected, isn't it?

Edited by Sumeragi

Luis cracked open a beer, toasted her, and drank it down, wanting to get into the right mood for the evening. Tossing the can into the trash, he took Sarah's hand and led her down to the beach. He'd already posted the 'boards next to their shady area, and they'd get to play with those soon enough....but for now, the ocean beckoned, and Luis was ready to introduce her to it.

As they walked into the water, Luis felt himself relax...like he hadn't in a long time. "Sarah, meet the Pacific Ocean. Pacific Ocean, Sarah." He chuckled just abit as the gentle tide moved them both. They stood hip deep in the water, moving with the tide, and Luis hummed for just a moment as he felt himself return...back to older days, gentler days, and a forgotten self. "We'll get to those boards here in awhile, but first, let's just feel the ocean for a minute. You haven't gotten a chance to be in water that wasn't cloroxed and super-cleaned in...how long? Get used to the natural rhythm of the sea, it'll help you out alot once you get on a board." He closed his eyes, moving with the sea, feeling himself get into sync with the pull of the tide and the movements of the wind. "The Ocean doesn't care. That's the first thing you should put into your mind. The Ocean doesn't care about problems, about people, about politics, about grief or suffering...the only thing it cares about is movement, pure motion. This is where people come to let go, to forget, to travel, to fish, to be....just to be. This is the safe place in a world without safe places."

He meditated on that for a moment, and then laughed, realizing how serious he sounded. "So hey, let's see you swim! I bet you haven't swam in anything with a tide in who-knows-how-long...maybe you've forgotten!"

She smiled as the water gently carried her back and forth, the sweet smell of the salt softly running up her nose. Turning to Luis, Sarah scoffed. "Oh, now you're just being mean. I come to be beach as often as possible, it was one of the things that first attracted me to Australia. After all, I remember when we first arrived, I would sit alone in the Diet, in the dark. Cause I hated it down here. But as you can tell, that's changed a lot. Personally, I don't think I could ever leave Australia now. If I could manage to get a tan it would be even better, but I think I'd have to wait for other generations to do that for me. Too much time spent in the frozen north to be effective."

"But I mean I do swim and I love the ocean. Personally, if it was up to me, I'd rather be out here than in a pool. A pool still feels political, but out here, I agree I can relax and its a great feeling. Oh, and I haven't forgotten how to swim." She said happily as she dove forward into the waves crashing into the shore. Her head sticking up from the waves and her blonde hair floating around her. "Its actually really warm. So are you coming over Luis or are you just going to stay there? And when are we going to start surfing?"

As she neared the waves, the girl with the raven-black hair smoothly took out the sunglasses which were hanging from the cleavage of her bikini and put them on. She waved to the swimming Sarah, shouting gleefully.

“Hiyo, Sarah onee-chan! It's been a long time since the slumber party, hasn't it? Who's this hunk you have with you?”

A little far into the beach.....

A reporter from the Power Andonia licked his lips as he focused his camera on the blonde beauty in the waters. This was going to be a major scoop......

Someone tapped him on the shoulder. Someone in a police uniform was behind him

“There has been reports of rampant voyeurism. I'm afraid I'll have to take you to the station for background checks.”

“Wha-”

Before he could protest, he was lifted up and half dragged to a police car.

Luis didn't speak.

Instead, he jumped in after her, racing with her alittle bit, taking in the small pleasures of the waves and the sun. After a few minutes, he headed out, laughing, his body warmed up and ready for surfing. As he walked up the beach to grab their boards, he saw the little...Yamatojin? Fuyo-Clann? He couldn't tell. Regardless, he saw her wave and smile at Sarah, and relaxed when Sarah waved back. It was very good to see her with a friend, especially one that didn't seem involved in any kind of politics...though strangely enough, her eyes were kind of strange...

Noticing the stare of De Luit, Akeiko refixed the sunglasses she was wearing. Her particlaur ruby eyes were very noticable, although it probably wouldn't mean anything much to the keep. But then, why take chances?

Meanwhile.......

All over the beach, the various paparazzis who had been following the Lady Protector were being rounded up and sent to the nearest police station. The Gentengun couldn't take any chances of their commander being recognized, so they decided to take measures, which would be also providing a service for Sarah.

Sometimes having your own army (even if unarmed) was a good thing.

Meanwhile.......

All over the beach, the various paparazzis who had been following the Lady Protector were being rounded up and sent to the nearest police station. The Gentengun couldn't take any chances of their commander being recognized, so they decided to take measures, which would be also providing a service for Sarah.

Sometimes having your own army (even if unarmed) was a good thing.

OOC: I wonder what the police officers in the station are thinking right now? :P

OOC: I wonder what the police officers in the station are thinking right now? :P

At the Police Station

The inspector (a Fuyo-clann) was slightly ticked off at the number of people being brought in. Usually the beaches of the Hanseatic Commonwealth was quiet (except for the occasional pickpockets) but today, why on earth were ten people doing with high-tech cameras in the sane dunes?

Voyeurism. That was the only possible explanation. These scums should be happy that Hansa was the most liberal country on earth, otherwise they would have faced a severe punishment. The most they'll likely get is a 'tough' verbal warning.

But who said they can't be kept here for a few hours until the sun sets? Which he would proceed to do.

OOC: And there is your answer :P