Siberian Tiger Alliance - Nueva Vida Announcement

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I can understand where you're coming from, however, I did take a look at the previous incarnation of the this treaty, and specifically, I was drawn to Article III, reprinted below for your convenience.

Now, I certainly see your point that the following situation can happen:

STA is MDP'd to NV.

NV is MDP'd to alliance X.

Alliance Y attacks Alliance X.

So, there are two potential outcomes: (three, actually NV could cancel the MDP with Alliance X, but I don't think that's their style from what I've seen) NV's MDP with alliance X is activated. Therefore, NV is now engaged in a defensive action (especially if the wording is 'an attack on one is an attack on both' as is common in most MDP's) to assist Alliance X. Another school of thought is that NV is engaged in an aggressive action to 'defend' Alliance X (a school I don't ascribe to, but so I'm clear I'll address it) in which case your MDP, paragraph 3 of Article 3, would still cover.

The article you reference is designed to make the treaty non-chaining. Meaning if NV went to war via the Aztec bloc and was subsequently attacked then our defence of NV via this treaty would become optional. The new clause, as I pointed out, allows us to go to war alongside NV even if they have not been declared upon by another alliance. For example:

Example 1: Non-Chaining

NV declares war on Alliance X via the Aztec bloc treaty

Alliance Y attacks NV in defence of the alliance attacked by the Aztec bloc

Under the non-chaining clause, any assistance to NV by the STA is voluntary as NV went to war via a 3rd party treaty even though their war against Alliance Y is defensive.

Example 2: Optional Aggression

Alliance X attacks an ally of NV not shared by the STA.

NV defends their ally via their treaty but is outnumbered.

No other alliances declare war on NV therefore not triggering the Defence clause of our treaty with them.

Activating the oA clause the STA can attack those alliances at war with NV.

Now, you have added an Optional Aggression clause. Forgive my long-windedness, but how exactly does an 'Optional' i.e. 'voluntary' aggression clause provide any more flexibility to defense than the bolded section of the previous version of this upgraded treaty cited above? I'm not trying to be obstinate, really. Ultimately, I see Article III as covering any anticipated situation quite well (I actually really like the way it's written), and I am failing to see how an 'optional aggression clause' adds any flexibility to the situation especially in light of Article III.

See above.

However, that being said, it is certainly the prerogative of both NV and STA to change the wording of an existing treaty to better reflect their true relationship and I wish you both well.

If I have any further questions, I'll try to find you on IRC and I can stop mucking up this celebratory thread!

Za' Sabir

VI

It is our prerogative, yes. And thanks for the example of e-lawyering I was referring to earlier. ;)

Edited by Tygaland

The Polar government would like to extend an official thanks to you for observing Nueva Vida's manipulations and machinations and bringing them to the attention of the Polar government. This new evidence will certainly demand a reconsideration of our ties to our friends Nueva Vida, now that it is clear they are...trying to...supplant us? Join our awesome bloc?

It's a treaty upgrade dude. Relax.

To help feed conspiracies (And more so for my own pleasure laughing at them) the Founder and first Emperor (He's reading these exact words in his head as I type them...crazy I tell you) was a high ranking member of NSO & currently presides in NpO.

Clearly illustrating a sub-plot to the current hostilities and other drama indicating Vidia's secret plans to join Frostbite...and further yet create a Tiger-Jaguar Hybrid Army!!!

You heard it here first folks. :awesome:

Also, I like this for obvious reasons.