Europe....The Liberation of all Peoples

The Confederation

Tanzband looked over the papers and made note on his PDA.

"Well then...that's settled. I hereby vote in favour of Polish independence in the lands specified."

He looked at the Bavarian and the Croat.

"Well gents?"

The King looked at Tanzband, then the polish representative.

"Well...WELL. I for one have nothing to say against that, even if I'd like the nobility to take a more active role. But I'm a monarch, so of course I'd like that.The poles aren't planning for a bad system, and that's all fine for me.

I say give it to them," he said, while thinking 'And let us hope they won't make the wrong people angry.'

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provided he doesn't break the agreements that have been decided upon here we will agree.

Then it is decided.

He stood up and extended his hand to the Judge. "Welcome Pole"

Tanzband leaned over to his secretary.

"Go find the Swiss representative..."

Edited by Brian Reimer

Having been summoned by one of the castle's servants, Pascal Couchepin entered the chamber. "I thank each of your esteemed nations, for taking the time to give myself and my people an audience. I come bearing the interests and will of the Swiss."

Edited by iamthey

Having been summoned by one of the castle's servants, Pascal Couchepin entered the chamber. "I thank each of your esteemed nations, for taking the time to give myself and my people an audience. I come bearing the interests and will of the Swiss."

"Ah, what news do the Swiss people have? How are they standing in the face of the collapse of the Nordlandic Reich?"

In all honesty, it doesn't looks so good. Our people our strong but you can understand the effect having our land serve as the host of a nordlandic capital. Culturally we are quite lost... In regards to our national infastructure we are alright, however the nords when they collapsed took with them the intellectual capital, and managerial staff who who ran our schools, our bureaucracies, and our upper government positions. those that remain... well we honestly don't trust them. Don't take it personally but but the nords look out for their own ideology, and their own goals; just as we do our own. Anyway to reconcile these internal problems... We are well aware there is already a swiss nation, the Alliance. We ask the CEU's permission to begin negotiations with the Alliance. We would like to be annexed by them but under particular conditions, we feel our status as their homeland will make them amiable to particular requests.

Further to Ministerpräsident Tanzband's invitation formulated via private diplomatic channels, the Great Council of Conti, upon the recommendation of the Council of Ten has nominated one of its members, Councillor Cartier to represent the Bailiwick in the capacity of special envoy to the ongoing summit in Konigsberg. He will be assisted in his task by the Secretary of State for Commerce. Councillor Cartier’s mandate is limited to discussions over the Commune of Calais/Kales. […] Owing to its geographical location Calais is of paramount importance to Conti's trade with its north and eastern European neighbours as it commands entrance to the North Sea and beyond the Baltic markets. The Bailiwick’s diplomatic effort will focus on securing control of the city to ensure navigation on such vital waterways is not hindered by an unfriendly power. Councillors Cartier has already hinted that Conti would be ready to guarantee local taxation and civic amenities will remain the prerogative of the City's Lord-Mayor without interference from the Bailiwick. Conti’s delegation is expected to reach Konigsberg tomorrow. […]

Edited by Council of Ten

In all honesty, it doesn't looks so good. Our people our strong but you can understand the effect having our land serve as the host of a nordlandic capital. Culturally we are quite lost... In regards to our national infastructure we are alright, however the nords when they collapsed took with them the intellectual capital, and managerial staff who who ran our schools, our bureaucracies, and our upper government positions. those that remain... well we honestly don't trust them. Don't take it personally but but the nords look out for their own ideology, and their own goals; just as we do our own. Anyway to reconcile these internal problems... We are well aware there is already a swiss nation, the Alliance. We ask the CEU's permission to begin negotiations with the Alliance. We would like to be annexed by them but under particular conditions, we feel our status as their homeland will make them amiable to particular requests.

"It is understandable that chaos is abound in the Swissländer, you are a proud people that have not been allowed your homeland for too long. However, why be annexed into The Alliance? Sure, their leaders are Swiss, but is the majority of their foreign population? Do the Swiss people share the values and goals of these foreigners? Likewise, if annexed into a nation with it's capital thousands of miles away, would not the Swiss people be under the same predicament they were under Nordland? That being ruled by a government with no real connection to it's people."

"It is understandable that chaos is abound in the Swissländer, you are a proud people that have not been allowed your homeland for too long. However, why be annexed into The Alliance? Sure, their leaders are Swiss, but is the majority of their foreign population? Do the Swiss people share the values and goals of these foreigners? Likewise, if annexed into a nation with it's capital thousands of miles away, would not the Swiss people be under the same predicament they were under Nordland? That being ruled by a government with no real connection to it's people."

"I have to agree, in addition the lack of a land connection will make supply routes difficult however Greater Croatia would be willing to open up it's borders to the Alliance should annexation be approved"

Excellent points; however we have already thought of this. To begin the leadership is as you said is Swiss so while this may be the case of territories they control outside of Europe it wouldn't apply to us as we are already operating under the culture they spread. That being said I wouldn't call them foreigners, as they are essentially displaced Europeans, however we agree it wouldn't be right for us to submit to the rule of a nation thousands of miles away. That is why we would only agree to annexation under several conditions. Our meeting here with you is a request to allow us to begin annexation negotiations with the alliance not the decision making process that would hand us over to them. If you say yes you are simply giving us the autonomy to go and talk to them about making an agreement. So don't worry we won't be played for fools or tricked.

Also keep in mind they really control few things outside of Europe that are truly foreign. The Kerguelens, Antarctica, and the madiera Islands are populated by Swiss individuals, Norfolk is a military base. North Western Siberia was completely rebuilt and populated with their own. So in reality as long as they move to Europe they aren't really detached or foreign. Hence our conditions.

We have a three point plan that would safeguard us from simply becoming another GNR; we would first require that the Alliance move its capital permanently from Romania, to Switzerland; if this is really their cultural homeland, and they have a desire to rule they will consent to this demand promptly. This will ensure the government is fully in touch with Switzerland. Individuals in the government who haven't already will be assimilated into the society.

Second we would require a measure of democratic reform, we don't so much care about differing ideologies being allowed to spread as we agree with their own, however we do think democracy can serve as a good way to select qualified reprsentatives, and it can more accurately represent the needs of the populous under it. This will ensure that we have a voice in the affairs of the state, and will at the very lease ensure the leadership is aware of our needs.

And third we would demand that local officials, and bureaucrats be from our population, or with heritage linked to us. This will ensure administrative actions are consistent with our society.

While we think the Alliance is already capable of representing us, we think that with these conditions fulfilled the Alliance will definitely not just become another GNR. That being said thoughts?

Edited by iamthey

Excellent points; however we have already thought of this. To begin the leadership is as you said is Swiss so while this may be the case of territories they control outside of Europe it wouldn't apply to us as we are already operating under the culture they spread. That being said I wouldn't call them foreigners, as they are essentially displaced Europeans, however we agree it wouldn't be right for us to submit to the rule of a nation thousands of miles away. That is why we would only agree to annexation under several conditions. Our meeting here with you is a request to allow us to begin annexation negotiations with the alliance not the decision making process that would hand us over to them. If you say yes you are simply giving us the autonomy to go and talk to them about making an agreement. So don't worry we won't be played for fools or tricked.

Also keep in mind they really control few things outside of Europe that are truly foreign. The Kerguelens, Antarctica, and the madiera Islands are populated by Swiss individuals, Norfolk is a military base. North Western Siberia was completely rebuilt and populated with their own. So in reality as long as they move to Europe they aren't really detached or foreign. Hence our conditions.

We have a three point plan that would safeguard us from simply becoming another GNR; we would first require that the Alliance move its capital permanently from Romania, to Switzerland; if this is really their cultural homeland, and they have a desire to rule they will consent to this demand promptly. This will ensure the government is fully in touch with Switzerland. Individuals in the government who haven't already will be assimilated into the society.

Second we would require a measure of democratic reform, we don't so much care about differing ideologies being allowed to spread as we agree with their own, however we do think democracy can serve as a good way to select qualified reprsentatives, and it can more accurately represent the needs of the populous under it. This will ensure that we have a voice in the affairs of the state, and will at the very lease ensure the leadership is aware of our needs.

And third we would demand that local officials, and bureaucrats be from our population, or with heritage linked to us. This will ensure administrative actions are consistent with our society.

While we think the Alliance is already capable of representing us, we think that with these conditions fulfilled the Alliance will definitely not just become another GNR. That being said thoughts?

While this solves the Swiss Problem we are also facing another culture namely the Romanians, what would you suggest to protect their culture?

While this solves the Swiss Problem we are also facing another culture namely the Romanians, what would you suggest to protect their culture?

The matter of culture is rather tenuous. I think its a matter of personal choice, if people wish to embrace a culture it is their choice; it doesn't matter if its "their own" or someone else's. Some choose to take pride in their culture others discard it. As long as the alliance isn't oppressing alternative cultural expression it isn't that big a deal. Europe is ultimately fairly liberal, alternative cultures and cultural toleration is fairly widespread, so simple intermingling isn't that big a deal. It doesn't destroy culture for the French and the Germans to live together, or for the Spanish and Russians to share a city. As for the matter of cultural oppression the Alliance doesn't really do that already, but if there is any "unintetnional" cultural oppression I think Democratic representation solves that problem. If the Alliance is willing to form a parliament with representatives from all their provinces then the many people's they rule over can express themselves and ensure their needs are met. It is important to note that the Romanians were the first province acquired by the Alliance. They have been Alliance citizens for many years, the local government is fairly popular, and lets be honest the needs of the people are met. The Alliance is extremely advance technologically, and its well managed. Attempting to wrestle control of it from them would only be bad for not only them but for all of Europe. I think a much more preferable option is simply to urge them to reform, and to do away with some of their more unnessecarily authoritiarian practices. Allowing us to negotiate, and make our demands (assuming they comply) would be a great step forward for them.

The reprsentative smiled, "I thank each of you again for your consideration and generosity." he turned to leave.

Edited by iamthey

King Vincent enters the room with a royal flair and sits down at the table. "I am the French representative of the Kingdom of Normandie," he said in an accent that echoed Irish with a distinct French flavor. "Now, my people are very concerned for the area of Calais, it holds a strong importance to us, as it was once a very important city to the Normans."

Summoned, Louis Rouvier entered the conference room. "Honourable leaders and representative, I am Louis Rouvier, président du conseil régional d'Île-de-France, here as representative of the French nation." He paused a little and eyed the Normandie king. "The French people asks for the European powers to recognise our rightful claims to all the ancient and traditional territories of France."

He paused again. Had it been up to him he would have ignored the Normandie problem, reserving it for a future conference with the Normans. The idea of partitioning rightful French lands up did not sit well with him, no, but he had no reason to agitate here and now. Now though, the Aquitaine government had been internationally recognised as France, and pressed to be given all French lands. Rouvier had always been under heavy criticism for a perceived lack of patriotism, and he can't very well throw away French soil if he were to have enough political capital to wrestle control back from the Bordeaux upstart.

"I must raise the most strenuous objection to the claims by King Vincent. The Norman settlement in France, from the earliest times, have always been the Duchy of Normandy, which corresponds to the modern regions of Basse-Normandie and Haute-Normandie. A look at any map shows that Calais is located far beyond the borders of Normandy, with the entire region of Picardie between them. None of these areas have been associated with Normans both in the past and present. The local population speaks Picard, a language distinct from Norman.

"Furthermore it is my understanding that the Kingdom of Normandie already controls territories outside of Normandy itself - including Pays de la Loire in its entirety and parts of Poitou-Charentes. Speaking of which Bordeaux would like to raise the issue of demarcation in the latter region with the Kingdom, although we understand this is not the place for that. The point being, we see no reason why the King of Normandie should be allowed lay claim to further sovereign French soil when he already rules much beyond what could be reasonable understood to be Norman."

Edited by Teriethien

"Please, we're not a Norman only empire, I speak French fluently, and in fact I recognize that most of our people recognize themselves as French. I do also recognize that our Norman people have spread themselves across France, and now really, we are all French. I'm French, you're French, he's Polish, do we have to set to petty differences in the minor aspects of our culture? Normans are as related to French as the the Aquitaines."

Vincent took a breath and took a drink from his flask. "Remember, the Welsh Empire controlled our territory before we did, and most of us speak English and Gaelic anyway, we've all been intermixed. But, if you're going to argue the differences between Norman French and "Normal" French, than what gives you the right for control over Mediterranean AND Calais, a traditionally English settlement."

"Please, we're not a Norman only empire, I speak French fluently, and in fact I recognize that most of our people recognize themselves as French. I do also recognize that our Norman people have spread themselves across France, and now really, we are all French. I'm French, you're French, he's Polish, do we have to set to petty differences in the minor aspects of our culture? Normans are as related to French as the the Aquitaines."

Vincent took a breath and took a drink from his flask. "Remember, the Welsh Empire controlled our territory before we did, and most of us speak English and Gaelic anyway, we've all been intermixed. But, if you're going to argue the differences between Norman French and "Normal" French, than what gives you the right for control over Mediterranean AND Calais, a traditionally English settlement."

"The wording of your statement caused me to believe that Normandie is asking for Calais based upon a Norman heritage, which is of course untrue, and thus prompted my response. I am perfectly happy to forego details of the French culture for the moment, however I will note that Calais is not, and have never been, an English settlement. Though it is true that the King of England ruled Calais for a little over two centuries from time of the Hundred Years War, this is merely a brief interruption against over 1200 years of continuous French existence. Above all, for most of the period of English control, the Kings of England were also titular Kings of France - therefore, they only ruled Calais as French Kings.

"Now, as for why France must contest the control of Calais, there two aspects to our position. Firstly, as representative of the France nation I will frankly say that our people desires to see a single France, united and strong. Our country faced its darkest times since the Hundred Years Wars that have ravaged and divided our lands, and likewise we strive to reunite all of the disparaged parts of France. I am therefore compelled to seek the title to every inch of French territory based on cultural, historical and ethnic grounds.

"Secondly, I will note that throughout history Calais have always been the choke point of any Anglo-French conflicts. As the gateway of invading France from the north, the French government is very concerned with the possibility of foreign control, even though at present there are no ill wills between the nations of the British Isles and ourselves."

"Unfortunately, those who seek to have a single area united eventually see the death of their nation. It has happened for Nordland twice, Gross Deutschland, the USA, Altin Urda, the UAE, everyone. However, if you allow us to be friendly towards your nation, and let us have open borders, we will see a unified French people, and the only differences will be in the government and a line on a map.

For your second contention, I am a little confused. If it is such an easy invasion point, why do you want it? Currently, your entire northern coast is blocked by us, therefore no easy invasion route can be planned. We certainly hold no ill will to the government of France, nor any other nation. And again, if our nations become friendly enough, we could be in an area for mutual defense." The King obviously looked confused and a little disturbed. Either this was racism or ignorance, which usually goes hand in hand, but he would chalk it up to confusion on their part about the intent of the Normans.