What constitutes a good alliance?

zigbigadorlou

What are good attributes?  

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

edit: so you see this FIRST before you don't read the thread: POLL IS SECONDARY. I'd rather you post your thoughts.

I don't think I've ever seen this, so really?

What makes a good alliance? I'm curious to see what y'all think.

Mine is basically what I've made. A loose association of nations that aid each other, like each other, go to war for fun, go to peace for fun, and don't have to be tied down with specifities of forums, IRC, formal treaties, etc.

Basically, as close to freedom/anarchy with enough safety to actually act funly.

What's your take?

(in OWF for potential ooc content eg forums etc., but not limited to OOC ideas)

I'll add some attributes if you guys think of any more.

-zig

PS. the poll is secondary.

Edited by zigbigadorlou

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted. Can't wait to see the results :)

I'd say a good alliance has a unique balance between active members on both IRC and the forums. High activity makes the alliance. In order for high activity to result, you must have determined alliance leaders who make good decisions. The rest just falls into place.

Edited by Engel

The quality of an alliance is not something that you can put into poll form. It depends entirely on the culture of the alliance and the common spirit of those who reside in it. There are large and powerful alliances who I would not judge to be worth as much as a few small alliances.

The quality of an alliance is not something that you can put into poll form. It depends entirely on the culture of the alliance and the common spirit of those who reside in it. There are large and powerful alliances who I would not judge to be worth as much as a few small alliances.

Read: poll is secondary.

What makes a good alliance? Community.

On the above poll, this would include forum and IRC banter, activity, camaraderie (yes, that is the proper spelling of the word :P) and to a lesser extent, safety, although sometimes the true galvanisation of a community will come when under the pressures of war.

There is one thing that makes or breaks any alliance: activity. Whether it be in the form of IRC presence, posting on the forums, making tech deals, what have you, alliances need to have members ready and willing to do more than just sit there, but to take action, and not only when told, but to seek action. That is the single most important factor of an alliance becoming successful. Directly after that comes people who know how to coordinate that active spirit to alliance goals and to work to sow activity wherever they can. The third most important element is simply presence. Alliances shouldn't isolate themselves, they should seek to get to know other alliances, make friends, find worthwhile treaty partners, and let their voices be heard, ideally in a favorable light. ;) Even a good alliance, without friends, may find it hard to move forward in Planet Bob, so this is also an important step to take.

Jack Diorno can make or break an alliance.

Wait.....

Jack Diorno can make or break an will destroy your alliance.

Forum and IRC activity would be my top point. After that, competent leaders.

WRONG

Jack Diorno > that petty Sorum Kierkeharm

He will rules us all someday

or maybe just provide some lulz

hopefully the latter.

As for why forums and IRC aren't important:

Not everyone can/likes to/enjoys using IRC or forums. I've found that although forums can be useful in educating and organizing, simply using in-game PM's makes everyone a lot more involved. Its much more personal and infinitely more direct.

For example, of my alliance (of eight), six are new players and one is an old (I'm guessing fairly inactive) player. They are all active and participating within the alliance, and as it seems, enjoying it. This is more than I can say for a lot of other people in most other alliances.

Locke, you phrased what I think fairly well. How you attain that, that depends. But it seems a worthy goal to strive for.

I'd say the general attitude and competency of the leaders and veteran members. They set the atmosphere for the entire alliance and even the most active alliances can break apart when members don't feel at home or there is great drama/tension.

Voted all because I could.

And, I'd have to say Unity/IRC activity. IRC is way more interesting than forums, but forums actually keep records of all things. Lot easier. Anyways, Unity definitely, because you can't have a bunch of people ready to tear at your throat, now can you!?

WRONG

Jack Diorno > that petty Sorum Kierkeharm

He will rules us all someday

or maybe just provide some lulz

hopefully the latter.

As for why forums and IRC aren't important:

Not everyone can/likes to/enjoys using IRC or forums. I've found that although forums can be useful in educating and organizing, simply using in-game PM's makes everyone a lot more involved. Its much more personal and infinitely more direct.

For example, of my alliance (of eight), six are new players and one is an old (I'm guessing fairly inactive) player. They are all active and participating within the alliance, and as it seems, enjoying it. This is more than I can say for a lot of other people in most other alliances.

Locke, you phrased what I think fairly well. How you attain that, that depends. But it seems a worthy goal to strive for.

Pardon the double post, but, you're in a smaller alliance - you can't really compare. Smaller alliances are bound to be more friendly, unified, the 'I know everyone in the town' sort of feeling you get. I mean, yeah, bigger alliances can have it too, but it is in more small-knit alliances that you will find it.

Jack Diorno can make or break an will destroy your alliance.

Forum and IRC activity would be my top point. After that, competent leaders.

Unity and comraderie right on that list, and you've got me.

Also, Jack Diorno is a pox.

Being an avid Alliance hopper during my time in cybernations I can say Athens is the only alliance I really feel compelled to stay in. The difference between Athens and all the other alliances I was in is the level of IRC activity, which I would have to say is the most valuable attribute of any alliance. Athens has about 40% members IRC active which makes it a cosy home.

In my opinion, it is none of these choices, though most are good to have.

What makes an alliance good is having leadership who do their job, but are laid back and real. Like, real people kind of. Most good alliances could be so much better if it weren't for the massive egos involved in the leadership.

From the perspective of someone who's been in NPO, TOP, and currently MK. . .

I feel that alliance activity, both forums and IRC based, are important. Competent leadership helps, too.

However, what really cements an alliance is commonality. If everyone can rally around a common origin, or common purpose, that in itself makes a better alliance. This is why successful invasion alliances are usually relatively good (FOK, Fark, NPO, GOONS, etc). They have a common origin, or a place to recruit from at least.

This, combined with what I also mentioned above, makes for a really badass alliance. These are the alliances that last, and make their mark on CN history.