Condemnation of an attitude that too often bleeds over into RP.

Maelstrom Vortex

You californians...you come up here and you don't respect the rules of our pure portland traffic. Your smog and your...tans. Gah.

But really, it's weird, but I think it's because that they want an area they know and they are familiar with.

I'll let you know that I don't tan...I burn. :(

Seriously, one walk on the beach, and I'm completely red the next day.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could just eliminate this problem by getting someone who is a somewhat decent artist to draw a map of a fictional planet that bears absolutely no resemblance to earth and relocate the RP there. That way nobody would have any RL attachment to anything and there would not be half a dozen people all trying to claim the same piece of dirt because they live there in RL.

And it would also grant us the freedom to say what the geography of our nation is like rather than being stuck with what is really there. For instance if I want to play on a tropical island then I can and if someone actually wants to have their nation located in a desert then they can as well.

We could just eliminate this problem by getting someone who is a somewhat decent artist to draw a map of a fictional planet that bears absolutely no resemblance to earth and relocate the RP there. That way nobody would have any RL attachment to anything and there would not be half a dozen people all trying to claim the same piece of dirt because they live there in RL.

And it would also grant us the freedom to say what the geography of our nation is like rather than being stuck with what is really there. For instance if I want to play on a tropical island then I can and if someone actually wants to have their nation located in a desert then they can as well.

I could try my hand at it... I started to make a map for Iowk on a pocket notepad (including mountains, rivers, etc.). But I have two exams, one tomorrow and one the day after, so it will be a little while untill I have the chance to "try".

Lynneth and I came up with one a while back. >________>

http://i43.nonpermited image host.com/28vqcyo.png

^ Ignore the colored in portions. I dont' have a completely blank version on hand and I don't feel like editing it out just now. :P

^ Ignore the colored in portions. I dont' have a completely blank version on hand and I don't feel like editing it out just now. :P

lolz.

Actually, I made it on my own, without your halp, Mercy. <3

For a sci-fi RP, btw.

th_MapSketch-5.png

^ Click that.

I'll let you know that I don't tan...I burn. :(

Seriously, one walk on the beach, and I'm completely red the next day.

I have sympathy for you, mate. i don;t tan either... :(

lolz.

Actually, I made it on my own, without your halp, Mercy. <3

For a sci-fi RP, btw.

th_MapSketch-5.png

^ Click that.

Those maps look suspiciously similar to earth...as it could be in another age, either past or future. :D

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The problem with a plan of this sort is that there is no definitive way to determine the geography specific to any given region in the world. If I were to take a spot somewhere on that map, I could say that its geography consists of any number of things, from massive mountain ranges to thick forests or swamps, or anything to boost my defensive capabilities, while making no logical sense whatsoever. To me, doing something like making an entirely new map would entail creating massive amounts of geography and things of that nature that it truly would not be worth the trouble.

The problem with a plan of this sort is that there is no definitive way to determine the geography specific to any given region in the world. If I were to take a spot somewhere on that map, I could say that its geography consists of any number of things, from massive mountain ranges to thick forests or swamps, or anything to boost my defensive capabilities, while making no logical sense whatsoever. To me, doing something like making an entirely new map would entail creating massive amounts of geography and things of that nature that it truly would not be worth the trouble.

Is anyone here a geologist?

No..?

Thought so.

Too much work to create a detailed non-earth map.

I actually wouldn't mind the idea of a new, non-Earth based map. Would it be a lot of work to make all the mountains and everything? Yeah, but I've done it (albeit in Microsoft Paint when I had that) before, and it could be done on a larger scale.

Just slapping mountains on a map isn't hard.

Making the map realistic in a geological sense, however, is very hard.

Look at earth. It's (most likely) a result of billions of years of movement of the geological plates and crust on top of the magma within the planet. You'd have to factor in where the plates move, how they'd react to each other, which goes up, which down.

That would result in continents, mountains, oceans, lakes, volcanoes, et cetera.

Depending on the oceans and continents, you'd get oceanic streams.

Depending on the mountains and whatnot, you get winds, rainfall, seasons, which in turn let you assign zones where a desert or a marsh or tundra may be.

And probably a million other factors I don't know.

And nobody RPs oceanic streams, nobody does anything with weather (besides a handful of good RPers) and geography is ignored most of the time. Most people RP geography only basically and many people just ignore it like they do weather.

Honestly, a non-Earth map gets rid of the desire to own a specific area of land period, because there are a lot of people who have said "I want this land" regardless of whether they live there or not.

Alright, if we do go for a Non-Earth map (Which I would be agaisnt, don't get me wrong) We should probably do something completely Non-Earth, like this:

urbanplanetmap.th.png

That said, I think using the earth map is best because it forces people to be at least a bit realistic, and opens up the RP of cultures. I don't want to see the map change.