Condemnation of an attitude that too often bleeds over into RP.

Maelstrom Vortex

It has become maddeningly apparent that 3/4s of all the hate mongering that occurs in CNRP centers around folks who want to rp the nations that occupy their RL homelands/domains. While I understand a certain degree of patriotism.. allowing it to breach the 4th wall (the ooc/ic barrier) is an outright crime in RP. This sin is exacerbated by the unwillingness to compromise on any subject related to the homeland or to have characters that actually act with any degree of independent thought that are wholly centered on one illogical purpose.. obtaining 1 particular piece of land they (the character) may or may not have even been born on or seen because of the players motives..

People.. this is why there is a very strong part of why there is so much hate mongering in this rp. This is why so many people are angry and upset for no reason. THey don't want to change regions if they do something wrong because in reality, they live in the country they're defending in the rp. Even though there are thousands of positions on the map to play.. and even though many of us do not even rp our homelands.. even if we would like to.. they still possess this attitude and some are even of the behavior and thought that the community may be allowed to suffer to whatever degree necessary to fulfill their hunger to "play the place they live."

It is these very immature attitudes that have made me at times want to just ditch cnrp. I live in KY. I started in Antarctica.. I moved to Australia.. and now play an Empire in Asia. Not even ONCE have I considered.. wanting to RP the USA or KY.. the reason being very simply that I wouldn't want to ask the entire community to bend to my will. I am not that self-centered. I am not that super-patriotic beyond logic. I can play any country in the world, I encourage all players to develop the attitude that they could do that or to even make up their own countries.. and stop limiting yourself to a box of your own creation. And if you do something to cause you to have to sacrifice control over the region you loved by provoking someone.. don't hate them for it.. roll with it.. and hope one day you get it back.. for that, my friends, is the definition of fair.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Rping mainly as an extension of my fascination with military and strategic analysis.

I came to CNRP hoping to make it an extension of my old !@#$%* rp where I played a nation centered around the city of Cochin, in South India.

However I soon faced a brick wall. Dragonisia owned it and was unwilling to cede it.

Later i acquired my present territory and I am very glad I did so.

I now know a lot more about Central Asia than I ever did. Through wiki searches to collaborate and support my Rp i am learning a lot while having immense fun out of it.

It is indeed better to RP different regions so that we improve our knowledge.

CNRP is a forum to have fun. In this virtual world any notions of racial superiority, ethnocentrism or regionalism is absurd. The aggressions and vices that poison our Real Lives must not be permitted to poison our enjoyment here.

I dont see the point of ego when we are all netizens.

Netizens...heh heh, I like that word.

Yes, I try to treat this as at least partially a learning experience. I have learned a few things about the Land Down under that would never have known if i hadn't been RP'ing there.

I myself hail from a place that Mudd contrpols, but you don;t see me complaining... :D

The whole map thing has made stuff more complicated qnd competitive for land. I remember when I started out two and a half years ago, there was three of us RPing against each other and we all claimed pretty much the same land but it didn't cause any problems. The fact that we all had Pretoria as our capital was just one of those things we overlooked.

Edited by Botha

Yes, I try to treat this as at least partially a learning experience. I have learned a few things about the Land Down under that would never have known if i hadn't been RP'ing there.

Same with me and Pakistan. And it's all thanks to the good Dr. Wik E. Pedia :awesome:

I now know a lot more about Central Asia than I ever did. Through wiki searches to collaborate and support my Rp i am learning a lot while having immense fun out of it.

It is indeed better to RP different regions so that we improve our knowledge.

CNRP is a forum to have fun. In this virtual world any notions of racial superiority, ethnocentrism or regionalism is absurd. The aggressions and vices that poison our Real Lives must not be permitted to poison our enjoyment here.

I agree with ya on that one. I enjoyed RPing as Turkey/Byzantium, and now as New England. It's quite fun, so to say. :awesome:

...Or you can do what I do and have/did have a nation that had nothing to do whatsoever with the real-life nation on the same land (well, mostly didn't have anything to do with it). I find it far more interesting to make up ~99% original material (alas why I like video games that no one else likes, only because they are very original). Not that I think theres anything wrong with using rela-life locations.

I live in Portland, Oregon, controlled by Mudd. You know, I've considered going there, but I gave it up after 3 seconds. What I'd like to do is start up a nation somewhere with a temperate climate and make all that crap up, but nooooo, some !@#$%^& will come in and say, "You're destroying the culture of the previous nations that have been there, I will invade you." (Sorry if that sounds like I'm poking fun at you Uberstein, I'm not)

Netizens...heh heh, I like that word.

I myself hail from a place that Mudd contrpols, but you don;t see me complaining... :D

We live less than 50 miles from each other mate :P

I'll let you all in on a little secret, I'm not from Somalia in real life.

:shame:

And I'll let you all in on a little secret of mine: I'm not from New England in real life.

:shame:

I live in Portland, Oregon, controlled by Mudd. You know, I've considered going there, but I gave it up after 3 seconds. What I'd like to do is start up a nation somewhere with a temperate climate and make all that crap up, but nooooo, some !@#$%^& will come in and say, "You're destroying the culture of the previous nations that have been there, I will invade you." (Sorry if that sounds like I'm poking fun at you Uberstein, I'm not)

Heh, I live in California. If I was there in CNRP, I'd be living in Tahoe right now. :awesome: I've considered RPing as California too, but it belongs to Mudd and that's that. :P

Edited by JEDCJT

RPing in Euopre was definately a learning experiance for me.

Amen to that. When I had Italy as Alvonia, I still tried to keep Germans in, but at the same time tried some Italian things. I was also taught a bit about RPing war, although so far I haven't been able to put that to any use. Hell, my first nation was in freaking Antarctica. I've been RPing in different parts of the world the day I entered this.

Fun fact: I'm not from Antarctica, Italy, Baffin Island, the Dakotas or Minnesota in real life. I live smack dab in hell, I mean, Illinois.

So lets see...

That means Botha, Subtle, V, Jed, Vince and certainly others are all my subjects. Obey me minions!

Oh no! :o

Californian is a Californian? NO WAY

I'm from NYC, but I'm not going to take out JED...

...Yet.

I'm watching you. :war:

Edited by JEDCJT