Liga Mundo - Season 6

Botha

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't spring the cup or season on us like last year. It cost me a cup run early in the season when my team was looking good.

Suck it up princess! :lol1: Starting off with the cup is pretty common in the official leagues. Granted I have been burnt by it too in the past but it actually makes it more interesting cause it levels out the first-round mis-matches because stronger teams aren't at full strength yet for form and greater chance of upsets.

That said but I don't take the cups (in most leagues) seriously anymore, I look at them as bonus training for my second-liners.

Edited by Botha

Suck it up princess! :lol1: Starting off with the cup is pretty common in the official leagues. Granted I have been burnt by it too in the past but it actually makes it more interesting cause it levels out the first-round mis-matches because stronger teams aren't at full strength yet for form and greater chance of upsets.

That said but I don't take the cups (in most leagues) seriously anymore, I look at them as bonus training for my second-liners.

It wasn't the fact that it started before the league. It was the fact that it was unannounced (or at least I didn't see it) and I had a friendly scheduled for the same day which meant that I never had the chance to set my team for the match. Started a bunch of scrubs and lost handily to start off the season.

And then there were three...

32-year-old veteran fullback Bert van der Meer was sold this afternoon for R1,000,000, leaving the Springboks with just three players remaining from their original expansion roster.

Manager Bartnel Botha said it was a painful decision but major injuries the past two seasons had contributed to a problematic decline in Van der Meer’s form and playing time.

“Bert was the only Springbok not to see an increase during the progress report, and at age 32 when that happens the question starts to arise how much longer does he have as a productive player?”

During the first four seasons of Liga Mundo play, Bert van der Meer was regarded by most observers as the anchor of the Springbok defence and along with midfielder Dick Witchge and forward Gert Grünholz kept the club competitive during those early formative seasons.

However with the acquision of future captain Leon Hooiber in the latter half of Season 3 and the quiet improvement of Joep “Radar” Boekweg, Van der Meer found himself eclipsed by these two players by the time Transvaal had won the championship in Season 5 – an event which was painfully ill-timed for Bert as he was sitting out injured when the cup was finally clinched. And surprisingly enough, despite setbacks on the field he still lead Springbok fullbacks in points last season.

Bert van der Meer will no doubt go down as one of the defensive greats of Transvaler football. In 90 league and cup matches, he collected 1 goal and 16 assists. While possessing a booming shot which never seemed to get used as much as it should have, on a wider scale, he will always be remembered by Liga Mundo fans as being simply one of the toughest, physically hard players seen on what has historically been a physical team. He averaged a yellow card every 2 matches and had 5 red cards to his name. Every season he was in the Top 3 for penalty infractions of one sort or another, leading Liga Mundo for yellow cards the past four seasons. Despite the carnage he left behind on the field, he was selected 12 times to X11 teams.

Despite the obvious, immediate hole his departure leaves, Manager Botha says he is shopping the transfer wires for a younger replacement.

Also, I take Cups and Leagues equally. They both add a trophy to the trophy case. I'd rather gun for a Cup, personally.

Cups are more difficult because you essentially have to gun for winning every match. With league play, you can play it more strategically as some matches are 'softer' than others so you can adjust one's roster better to injuries, suspensions, etc. plus commit bonus funds easier. I also find having twomatches a week destroys form, which for my squad has been a critical factor. In every league which I have played that has cups, my team performs better once I bail out of the cup. I would say that was half the reason why I won in Season 5, early cup exit (hot goalkeeper was the other).