Official Announcement from The Order of the Paradox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty sneaky I must admit. We learned it all from the NPO, always start a major conflict over a secondary alliance then when the time is right, hit your intended target.

Wait a second. MHA bigger then Gremlins? Damnit! Lets go back to the drawing boards guys, and remember this time secondary alliance meaning smaller and less connected to the cluster %$@ that is the MDP web.

Fire your evil genius' and hire new ones!

Why the hate again NAPs? They are a good way of starting a friendship. Unless of course, they are really old and nothing has came up them since they were signed. I would understand then. However, an NAP is a good starting block for something more.

The cool thing now is to sign PIATs where the information and aid clauses are never ever activated thus making them much fancier NAPs.

NAPs are naf (see PC) o/ TOP

edit: I personally hate the NAP. It a lame treaty that has no practical purpose. It doesnt tell people you are getting close it says you couldn't wait to sign a proper treaty and wanted to sign something to tell people how great your friendship is, just not good enough to commit to an MDP or better. If there is already an MDP or better its just plain silly. Congrats again TOP.

With that logic, most treaties do not matter.

To some alliances they dont.

Edited by Alterego

Basically NAPs have simply been replaced by the Treaty of Amity / Friendship Pact / PIAT which all (I think?) have non-aggression clauses as well as optional defence clauses within. I think that's a bad thing, to be honest, as it cements the idea that you have to have a treaty to activate in order to declare war in defence of another alliance, or at all.

I am no expert regarding the history of treaties or their application on Plante Bob, but I can say that the PIAT's that I have been a part of specifically do not have any military commitments to them at all.

Being a big proponent of being as faithful to treaties as possible, I congratulate TOP for getting rid of NAP's. If you feel it necessary to indicate that you won't be attacking someone just because you've signed a treaty, then there's obviously not enough friendship there to sign a treaty anyway. A mandated commitment for an exchange of intelligence and financial exchanges seems to be acceptable to, if nothing else, indicate priorities.

The cool thing now is to sign PIATs where the information and aid clauses are never ever activated thus making them much fancier NAPs.

I hope I don't ever get convinced to sign a PIAT with those cool kids then, cause we sure try to live up to the intelligence and aid portions of our PIAT's.

Edited by Stetson

Could you get dates from when the treaties were ratified?

That would be interesting to see.

I cannot give you the date they were posted on the OWF (The MHA topic took ages to find) but I can tell when they were ratified (Could be up to a week until official treaty, but this has no internal reason, but more people being lazy :v: )

ODN : 2nd of August 2006

IRON : 18th of August 2006

NPO : 26th of August 2006

OPA : 7th of September 2006

MHA : 21st of November 2006

We used to have a rather massive NAP web back then.

The only reason that NAPs are worthless is that the entire community doesn't bother to take treaties seriously (especially NAPs or PIATs or ToAs or anything other than MDoAP for the most part).

Edited by ender land

Sad to see a document from so long in MHA's past now gone, but realistically that happened when we upgraded to MDP anyway so... yay?

Yea. You'd think there would be a clause in a NAP that would automatically terminate it when the connection between the two alliances is elevated to MDP. Guess no one though about that at the time. :P

Yea. You'd think there would be a clause in a NAP that would automatically terminate it when the connection between the two alliances is elevated to MDP. Guess no one though about that at the time. :P

Heh, if it was November of '06, I'm doubting we thought much else apart from "Ooh shiny treaty with bigger alliance" :P

Good move TOP. NAPs really are worthless, unless of course theres alot of bickering going on between alliances and something needs to be set into place to calm the sides down. With these cancellations I feel that all the parties involved are more or less agreeable to the fact that they can all get along without hurting one another. So, once again, good move TOP.

Note that this is an impersonal action and is not whatsoever intended as a means by which to make any sort of political statement toward any of the above alliances---indeed, we have MDP-level treaties with MHA and IRON in addition to the aforementioned NAPs. Rather, it is merely symbolic of our belief that non-aggression pacts are of extremely limited utility in this day and age in the Cyberverse, and of our desire to proverbially clean the books of unnecessary treaties. Indeed, our foreign affairs policy has long since been against the signing of NAPs.

You should have jumped on the band wagon 34 months ago, when we first made a similar statement. Regardless, I do welcome an alliance helping end the tyrannous reign of NAPs this world has experienced.

;)

Edited by Smooth

The only reason that NAPs are worthless is that the entire community doesn't bother to take treaties seriously (especially NAPs or PIATs or ToAs or anything other than MDoAP for the most part).

Sadly this is kind of true. Even then though, a lot of times those are't even take those seriously.

Edited by Jinnai