Announcements from the Executive Branch of the Melvin Republic

sir jesus

President Landry couldn't believe she was taking her country to war again, but here she is: standing in front of the camera..

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Melvin Republic, our allies in the Dragon Bloc are under unprovoked assault and we will stand by our word. As you are all aware, the country has been in a slight recession since the Slavorussian conflict, but our economists predict wartime production will re-stimulate our economy.

I am ordering the mobilization of 900,000 soldiers as of today, as well as the entire Republican Navy and Air-Force. All of those who are presently unemployed my register at your nearest Unemployment Office for a position with military production. I have increased the quota for military weaponry production 1000% and many factories are already being converted.

I will release more announcements as the situation develops. Thank you."

President Landry walked into her office...

"Damn, damn, damn!"

She paced back in forth, breathing audibly.

"I'm going to get ransacked, I've worked way too hard to lose the presidency!"

She grabbed her phone,

"Prepare the polling spots, I'm calling an emergency 12-hour referendum on this... The people will decide the matter goddammit, now do as I command! Prepare the cameras, I'm going on air in 15 minutes in this office"

15 minutes later...

"Hello citizens of the Republic. The situation with the Helzans has progressed rapidly. They have apologized for their offensive actions, but refuse to pay reparations or submit a regime change. The Dragon Bloc still decided to not engage and promise aid to assist us during these tough economic problems.

Here are the two options:

We may accept a peace with the enemy, and receive outside aid from our allies to compensate us. We may be able to recover the loss of factory conversion and contract payments, but it will be at the complete loss of our closest ally.

We may also continue to engage the enemy, and extract whatever reparations are necessary to compensate us. Factory reconversion will not be necessary, and soldier contracts will continue.

It is your choice, the polls will close in 12 hours."

Interviews in the streets

Younger male: "I really hope we continue with this war, when my soldier contract payments come in I can buy a new house!

Older male: "Continued bloodshed is unnecessary, and I don't think the economy will recover through war alone."

Mother with two children: "I could care less, right now I can barely afford new shoes for my kids every year. I'm tired of this economic barbarity and loss, whatever increases my income the most! Remember the bottom line!"

Edited by sir jesus

President Landry:

"Citizens of the Melvin Republic, all polling places have been closed and the referendum canceled. The Helzan have agreed to grant us ownership of oilfields in their Northeastern lands, the economic gains from this are sure to offset the costs of mobilization. Our economists predict gasoline prices to plummet 20% by the end of the fiscal year.

The nation has been placed at Defcon 5, and all reserve troops have been de-activated. Profits from the sale of oil will go towards the reconversion of Republican industries to domestic production. Thank you for your time."