Is this the First World War?

Botha

Is this the First World War?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could be said that for this war 'Great' is simply insufficient to describe the conflict. With the number of alliances and nations involved it is truly a World War. But [ooc] just like the Great War IRL is retroactively called WWI so that WWII has a II[/ooc] this should be the Sixth World War, not the first.

I find it amusing that the Hegemony's justification for starting the war in such haste and making such huge mistakes is that they thought they would come under attack anyway, and wanted to strike while the web was in their favour. I've heard it from elsewhere, so it's not just Mogar making things up.

I never said I agreed with it, just attempting to show a side other that the only one I really see presented on these forums, and thank you for admitting I'm not just here making things up :v: .

Great War VI: The Karma War

Great War V: War of the Coalition

Great War IV: The Unjust War

Great War III: The Epic War

Great War II: The Farklands War

Great War I

Exactly this, as Chairman Hal listed.

I've never heard GW3 called the Epic War. Yeah it says that in the wiki, but everyone at the time and everyone now just calls it GW3. There are a lot of stupid names in the wiki.

I'm against calling all wars Great Wars but the first three. Labeling everything GW# is lazy, but the first three don't have widely used and acceptable alternatives. The other wars, however, do and because everyone gets all prissy about the numbering it's safer for all of us to just call them by their names. Some people don't consider UJW a great war, but NoCB a great war; others don't consider either a great war, but the Karma war a great war, making this war potentially GW4 or GW5, or GW6. It's just stupid.

Great Wars 1 - 3 were the wars fought between the Orders and their meatshields and the CoaLUEtion and its successors. It's important to keep their names unique to make this distinction. All other 'great wars' are stand alone conflicts, and have their own unique names. Don't muddy up the colourful history of this planet with your lazy war naming.

I never said I agreed with it, just attempting to show a side other that the only one I really see presented on these forums, and thank you for admitting I'm not just here making things up :v: .

Actually, I believe he said you aren't the only one making things up ;)

How on Earth is the noCB war a Great War? Or even a great war?

Yeah I don't get it either since usually most of the people arguing for continuing the Great War sequence after GWIII go "WELL a great war usually seems kind of even at least at first!" but the noCB War was pretty lopsided from the beginning - it was the reviled curbstomp taken to the extreme.

First off war of the coalition (horrible name) can not be a great war because it was way too lopsided. Same thing goes for the unjust war.

Second off, this war CAN'T be named world war one because there is already a war named that: http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/World_War_I

The first war ever.

Foolish people need to remember their history.

Actually, I believe he said you aren't the only one making things up ;)

I do think NPO would have been attacked, though I wish it had occurred that way rather than the way it did, since it would have been just NPO getting curbstomped instead of the rest of the hegemony.

I do think NPO would have been attacked, though I wish it had occurred that way rather than the way it did, since it would have been just NPO getting curbstomped instead of the rest of the hegemony.

Even if that were true (and we'll never know now) any coalition that would have attacked the NPO would be missing a large portion of the force that wound up uniting because they started it, and almost certainly lost.

were you around for GW3? nobody had seen ODN or Legion in war for over a year and we honestly expected a lot more out of them, and I doubt they did either, but they certainly managed to piss off any semblance of winning this war by offensively declaring without notifying their allies, sort of screwed themselves over.

I was around for GWIII and I knew we were boned pretty damn quick.

I was around for GW3. It was obvious that Legion and ODN at full strength weren't enough to beat the Initiative with the rest of the old League still smarting from GW2, and especially with GATO having been weakened by NPO's attack. The fact that ODN was supposed to handle the much larger GOONS should tell you something. Then it was especially obvious that the Aegis had no chance after FAN and TOP so clearly outperformed Legion on the very first day of their involvement.

I was around for GW3. It was obvious that Legion and ODN at full strength weren't enough to beat the Initiative with the rest of the old League still smarting from GW2, and especially with GATO having been weakened by NPO's attack. The fact that ODN was supposed to handle the much larger GOONS should tell you something. Then it was especially obvious that the Aegis had no chance after FAN and TOP so clearly outperformed Legion on the very first day of their involvement.

Correct.

If anything, this topic is utterly and painfully pointless...And frankly don't see a point outside of attention-whoring.

I think it could be said that for this war 'Great' is simply insufficient to describe the conflict. With the number of alliances and nations involved it is truly a World War. But [ooc] just like the Great War IRL is retroactively called WWI so that WWII has a II[/ooc] this should be the Sixth World War, not the first.

That's nice. But you weren't around for the first great war...and quite frankly, this seems to be the only conflict worthy of that title since the original three.

Edited by ReturnOfChron

I will say this about GW3: The one time the outcome seemed in doubt was when /b/ entered. With the entry of formerly neutral /b/, for a few precious hours Aegis could hope that IRON (plausible), GUARD (plausible) and GPA (no way) would enter as well and tilt the balance. That hope faded pretty fast. Then things were back to normal.

Now GW2... that one was in doubt. League might have won if NAAC had unleashed its nukes, or if Legion and ODN had come in then instead of months later.

Edited by Cirrus

That is the mentality of the NPO and their falling and rising meatshields, not ours.

You have absolutely no evidence on which to base your assumption that we would have behaved in the same manner. In fact, seeing as how some Karma alliances have been on the receiving end of this mentality throughout history and those former hegemony alliances in our ranks left in disgust at some of this behaviour, and that we've been a coalition of bleeding heart moralists, it is far more likely that we would have never started this war even if we did have a valid CB. Perhaps we may have come closer together and seemingly isolated the NPO, but any attempt to aggressively take on the NPO without cause would have certainly resulted in our coalition falling apart.

honestly, after reading a pretty darn funny conversation about conspiracy theories regarding the war that was promised by probably the leaders of alliances in the OWF one or two months ago about a war that was brewing, after reading about it in IRON's forums in december stating it will happen in about 3 months, after reading about it in ODN's forums in february (about when i read the convo in the OWF), i'm surprised people live in denial. sure, a CB with NPO attacking some weak little alliance that poor little her, couldn't defend herself (although dunno why but usually alliances go to war with other alliances for spying, they don't usually don't just punish the nations that were involved in the information trade) is a good excuse for alliances the like of ODN to join in your cause. if it wasn't this CB it would have been another. NPO played it's cards wrong though so there ya have it!! congrats on the win. now stop acting all wussy and be honest. the active people knew a war is brewing. sure, only a handful knew the actual plan, the rest of us had to live through it, but what's with the denial you are pretending to still live in, i don't know.

Edited by junkahoolik

I vote yes, this war is far too significant to just name it the Karma war. We didn't call the real WWI, the war of the central powers or the war of the allies; wether its actually called WWI or WW whatever I think it would make sense to create a sort of naming system for very significant wars that mark the end of an era