Is this the First World War?

Botha

Is this the First World War?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In regards to wars and naming conventioned used to describe them, I'm wondering if a better term for the current Karma conflict would be calling this the "First World War"?

I've been playing CN since the time just after the Maroon War and before GW2. The "Great War" term has pretty much fallen by the wayside over disagreement as to what constitutes as a "great war" - however I cannot recall witnessing such an epoch-changing and massive conflict like we are having now.

Whatever happens, whomever wins, the post-war world after this will be very different. The political build up to this war has been a long time coming, much like the First World War in RL. The change which follows could be just as revolutionary.

So I'm throwing this out there - why not call this conflict the First World War? (and the criteria for any subsequent World War is that it must be more massive in terms of declarations, NS, involvement, etc than the previous one).

Comments?

Edited by Botha

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes on the principle that this should be given a special name rather than just the 'Karma War', because of how much it has the potential to change the political landscape. However, I'd say that it isnt the first world war - either the second or the third, depending what you believe

The breakdown over what constitutes a 'Great War' would be compounded with using 'World War' as something that represents a higher level of conflict.

Think back to September 2007. Two sanctioned alliances were destroyed as a result of that war, at least a couple more notable ones disbanded and a whole new era of Planet Bob was ushered in. Yet, there are people who insist that the Unjust War was not a 'Great War' let alone a 'World War'. Say it out loud, the effective competitive duration of a conflict does not necessarily make a war a 'Great War'. Not in an era where nuclear war is part of standard war fighting tactics.

Ultimately CN historians will argue the point over and over, but I believe that what we are fighting now is 'Great War VI: The Karma War. The previous one, 'Great War V: War of the Coalition'.

Also previously:

Great War IV: The Unjust War

Great War III: The Epic War

Great War II: The Farklands War

Great War I

1) No. THIS was the First World War.

2) The whole point of naming wars is to make them easily identifiable. "Karma War" is more easily identifiable than any generic "big" name you can think of, therefore "Karma War" is a superior name.

3) Everyone already calls it the Karma War. The ship has sailed whether you like it or not.

4) If you are asking how many wars for global hegemony have been fought, the answer is that this is either the 6th or the 7th, depending on whether anybody thinks the Coalition War counts.

5) Great Wars 1 and 2 were unpredictable, but #3 was totally predictable. Aegis never had a chance, and everybody knew it from day one. Sorry, Mogar.

1) No. THIS was the First World War.

2) The whole point of naming wars is to make them easily identifiable. "Karma War" is more easily identifiable than any generic "big" name you can think of, therefore "Karma War" is a superior name.

3) Everyone already calls it the Karma War. The ship has sailed whether you like it or not.

4) If you are asking how many wars for global hegemony have been fought, the answer is that this is either the 6th or the 7th, depending on whether anybody thinks the Coalition War counts.

5) Great Wars 1 and 2 were unpredictable, but #3 was totally predictable. Aegis never had a chance, and everybody knew it from day one. Sorry, Mogar.

Why did you stop posting? This stuff and your old flag thread make me want to have your kids.

No, the Great Wars were not predictable from they first night they occurred, that's why UJW and the Coalition War are not Great Wars, and neither is this.

Are you serious implying this war was a curbstomp from the start?

:awesome: Even the most positive propaganda from our side gave us only a 50M NS headstart at the beginning of this war, of who 20 Million(TOP, NpO) were far from certain.

The winner of this war is the side who made the least strategical mistakes during the stress of wartime planning. Hegemony just made more mistakes as Karma during the first 4 days of this war.

Edited by thaone

To be honest the "karma war" was also a terrible name and not what I'll refer to it as. WWI isn't all that great either, but when it comes down to it there is no reason to "propose a name". With every war, people just refer to it as they saw it and in their eyes.

I personally want to smack the person (not to say names >.>) who decided to make a long essay about why the NoCB war was called "War Of The Coalition" because it was a horrible name and a terrible misrepresentation. NpO refers to it as the Second Patriotic War, or something along that line. I call it the NoCB war as do many others (it seems, more than do call it the "war of the coalition"). There are tons of other names, and you can't force someone to call this something.

Unfortunately the Karma War is sticking because that's what's on the wiki right now.

I'll call it GWIV. It's the only "unbiased" name that fits, and doesn't sound stupid. Like it or not, this war caused a major turn in the way CN works, and was by all means massive. So yeah, GWIV for me. I really don't care what anyone else calls it. :)

Are you serious implying this war was a curbstomp from the start?

:awesome: Even the most positive propaganda from our side gave us only a 50M NS headstart at the beginning of this war, of who 20 Million(TOP, NpO) were far from certain.

The winner of this war is the side who made the least strategical mistakes during the stress of wartime planning. Hegemony just made more mistakes as Karma during the first 4 days of this war.

I'm implying this was designed to make sure NPO lost, and yes, the 30 million advantage did essentially mean you were going to win, especially with the absolutely massive WRC difference between the hegemony and karma sides.

I'm implying this was designed to make sure NPO lost, and yes, the 30 million advantage did essentially mean you were going to win, especially with the absolutely massive WRC difference between the hegemony and karma sides.

Yes I agree. How dare the karma nations buy wrcs, nukes and build up warchests? That's totally unfair.

[OOC]

Hi Matt. CN was just taking up too much of my time in real life. It needed to go. Of course, right now things are too interesting not to keep tabs on, so I am temporarily out of retirement.

Nice to be missed, though :-) I missed you guys too.

[/OOC]

It is the Karma War, give over with these threads already.

And how was it designed to make the NPO lose when the NPO started it? My, our agents really excelled themselves there :v:

Moo was a Karma plant all along. It only took a couple years for the plan to come to fruition but it's been paying off in spades at long last.