This "Total War's" Name

Roofus

Can we be done with this debate over the name, already? This is the Karma War. I don't care if you don't like it, but that's its name for several reasons:

It just works, just like Unjust War and War of the Coalition worked.

It actually happened naturally. It was already pretty firmly set in people's minds that this would be called the Karma War before the vast majority of this naming debate started. It's always best to go with a name that comes about naturally than one that is arbitrarily decided in committee.

No matter how many polls you take, as long as you give them a decent amount of time to run, Karma War will always come out on top with a large lead.

And naming it Great War X already adds the confusion associated with using that name. Of course this war qualifies as a Great War, but it should not be named such. There's plenty of people here who use UJW and GWIV interchangeably. Calling this GWIV will only add to the confusion, so that every time you say GWIV there's going to be at least 20 posts asking if you mean the UJW or the Karma War. The old system of naming large-scale wars "Great War X" is antiquated. We've reached the point where you can't go past the number 3 without causing great confusion about which war you mean. You'll also have to be competing with the Wiki (the very title of the article for UJW is "Great War IV, The Unjust War", you have to at least call this GWV if you want to call it a GW).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Great War 5 to me.

Also, this would be a great time for me to make a sarcastic quip about how this can't be a War of the Coalition because Wars of the Coalition are only between TOP and NpO. But I wouldn't do that, right? Oh wait I just did...

Names for events are not something voted on, people come up with a name during or after and if enough start using it becomes popular and eventually the name. People did not vote on what to call WW1/2, Great depression, Cold War someone just uttered those names and people not having another thing in mind went with them. Its pointless trying to change that. This could have been called the Vox Retribution war even though it was not about them, and all the voting in the world would not stop people from using it once it become the name of it in there mind.

While I think a war should be over before it's named, I think April Revolution is pretty good. Karma War isn't terrible, but it doesn't seem to encompass the whole situation, in my opinion. It sounds like it's referring to the Karma coalition, regardless of what you mean for it to.

While I think a war should be over before it's named, I think April Revolution is pretty good. Karma War isn't terrible, but it doesn't seem to encompass the whole situation, in my opinion. It sounds like it's referring to the Karma coalition, regardless of what you mean for it to.

That is what it refers to...

Do we need to go through why the official name for a war ought to be unbiased again?

-Bama

I thought the consensus has been already agreed upon on Karma War? On both sides of the perspective, one looks at it as retribution, and the other looks at it as a struggle against the rabble mob which called itself Karma.

Pretty neutral imo.

Edited by Geiseric

It's the karma war, and if you cant accept that you need to stop pouting and move on.

It's a name. It's what something is called. If everyone calls something by one name, that's it's name. From your poll data, a vast majority of people call this the Karma war, for whatever reason. Disputing that fact is pointless. Just drop the debate and look at the data.

Epic War FTW. We should immortalize this internet meme while we still have chance (before the youn'uns take over the world)

(also... I think Russia still calls WW2 the Great Patriotic War, so... different nations can techincally call wars different things... there doesn't have to be a war over what to call the war). Although... :huh: that would be epic.

Edited by Zarfef