Northern Republic Movements & News

Californian

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Foreign Affairs Press Release[/b]

Today the Northern Republic has decided to cancel its membership in the Diamonds Pact, citing its slow decline and withdrawal of other signatories. The Northern Republic remains on friendly terms with all former signatories and will strive to continue these relations.

Edited by Californian

[quote][b]MINISTRY OF WAR ANNUAL REVIEW REPORT & BRIEFING[/b]
[i]Classified Level-10 Security Clearance Only [/i]

[u]Department of Strategic Defense[/u]
NORSEDEN Operational Status: 100%
IMDS Operational Status: 100%
MAD Operational Status: 100%
Strategic Nuclear Reserves: 0
Strategic Biological/Chemical Reserves: 0

[i]Current Updates:[/i]

UPGRADE NAContinent2.2: The provinces of North Carolina and Florida currently have NORSEDEN protection. In addition, IMDS systems are almost fully operational and MAD systems are being transferred to counter any FSA threat. SAM missile systems and mobile AA systems are being positioned in military bases throughout these provinces including the NORSEDEN/IMDS networks which are redundantly places across the provinces to ensure maximum protection.

Operation Energizer: The DSD has fully complied with orders to "emp-proof" major military targets in the Northern Republic and already work is being started to complete the operation by the projected deadline.

All important buildings/structures/systems needed for normal and emergency operations are being refitted to accommodate a layer of metal mash which is solidly grounded. Along with new buildings which will contain a layer of metal for this purpose, all buildings will be properly grounded once outfitted with the metal layer. Because antennae will not be able to receive this metal layer, advanced circuit breaking systems will be installed to counteract this problem. The expected outcome is that during an EMP-attack core systems will be insulated and circuit breakers will ensure that the electronics and systems are offline only temporarily versus indefinitely. Construction has begun on this on installations across the nation using a rotating schedule to ensure that only parts of bases are offline temporarily and they can maintain a degree of normal operations. The other departments are jointly-working on Operation Energizer and are cooperatively using the same methods to ensure unity.

In addition, a bunker in the Federal District military complex has been refitted to accommodate the second part of this operation. Due to the fact this complex is designed to withstand nuclear/chemical/EMP blasts it has been chosen as a perfect site to store redundant data. All important information is backed up onto physical copies which can then be stored in the newly named Information Corridor of the bunker system. Should the nation experience a blackout or extreme crisis, the physical copies can be used as a backup to resume normal operations as quickly as possible.

Signed, Chief of Strategic Defense Frederik Schydt

[u]Department of Homeland Defense[/u]

[b]Oceanic Protection Administration[/b]
SOSUS Line 1 Status: 0%
SOSUS Line 2 Status: 14%
SOSUS Line 3 Status: 11%
SOSUS Line 4 Status: 0%
RNMS Network Operational Status: 22%

Cochin and Republic cable laying ships are laying the SOSUS cables surrounding Florida and North Carolina which have been given priority status due to the hostile nature of the neighboring FSA. In addition to the SOSUS lines, construction has begun on the RNMS (Monitoring Stations) to monitor SOSUS line activity. Information from the Kingdom of Cochin indicates calibration of SOSUS lines by the monitoring stations will take about a year. All information received by the RNMS from the SOSUS lines will also be transmitted to RNB Qaqortoq, headquarters of the OPA in order to ensure redundant safety.

In addition, the Substrike Mine and ISLMM Mine systems have been safely transferred to Republic Naval Bases from the Kingdom of Cochin. A system of Substrike monitoring stations will be built to supplement and support RNMS. Substrike mines are being laid in key locations including strategic ports and along Northern Republic maritime borders.

In cooperation with the Department of the Naval Guard, all submarines are to be equipped with 10 ISLMM mine systems for immediate deployment.

[b]Coastal Protection Administration[/b]
Coast Guard Fleet Operational Status: 100%

The Coast Guard is looking to purchase 20 medium class cutters for coast patrolling, search and rescue, and drug seizures. Offers from private companies (inc. international) will be reviewed and determined, with construction to begin no more than one year from now.

The Coast Guard is looking to purchase 30 helicopters for coast patrolling, search and rescue, and drug seizures. Offers from private companies (inc. international) will be reviewed and determined, with construction to begin no more than one year from now.

[b]Border Protection Administration[/b]
Border Patrol Deployments:
10,000 Greenland Proper
25,000 North Carolina
20,000 Florida
5,000 Ellesmere Island

Astra RailGun batteries are currently being transported to Northern Republic for use on coastal borders. The 50 tri-railgun batteries will be spaced evenly part and will be linked into the OPA RNMS network system. Construction on fortifications to house the railguns has begun and all fortifications are being 'EMP-proofed' to conform with Operation Energizer.

Signed, Chief of Homeland Defense Adam Wilhelm Moltke

[u]Department of National Defense[/u]

[b]Department of the Republic Guard[/b]

The amount of soldiers on active duty is being increased from 480,000 to 500,000. The Ministry of Information has agreed to increase funding for recruitment commercials and other forms of advertisement and the additional 20,000 volunteers should be reached within the year.

Alongside this Basic Training has been extended from 6 months to 8 months to accommodate increasing demands and information. Soldiers are currently being trained in three major forms of terrain: Arctic, Woodland/Forests, and Desert, with specialization in their particular environment. Greenland is still used for Arctic conditions, Florida is used for Forests conditions, and Atyrau is used for Desert conditions. In addition La Palma is used for shore landing training.

Soldier Deployments:

25,000 CANJSF taskforce
5,000 Monaco
5,000 Arkhangelsk
5,000 La Palma

100,000 Greenland
150,000 North Carolina
150,000 Florida

[b]Department of the Naval Guard[/b]

+Due to the recent increase in funding, 7 more ships have been authorized for construction with the confirmed approval of Congress. Particularly notable is the doubling of the Submarine fleet to 6 submarines, considered an integral part of naval operations.

+List of Ships to be Completed in the Next 6 Months:

Corvette [i]NRV Raleigh[/i], Destroyer [i]NRV Pikachurin[/i] (name pending approval), Frigate [i]NRV Jericho[/i], Cruiser [i]NRV Ørn[/i], Submarines [i]NRV Hvalros, NRV Lax[/i], and [i]NRV Mjaldur[/i].

+The navy has been reorganized into 6 Fleets, stationed in different ports of the Northern Republic for joint missions.

Fleet 1 (Stationed in Qaqortoq, Kujalleq)

[NC78] NRV Ty Eyvindsson
[NC79] NRV Mykep the Younger
[NAS5] NRV Mjaldur
[NAS6] NRV Lax
[D51] NRV King James II
[D52] NRV Sammyace Kintober
[CR185] NRV Hreindýr
[CR186] NRV Úlfur
[CV15] NRV Miami
[CV16] NRV Raleigh

Fleet 2 (Stationed in Jacksonville, Florida)

[NC80] NRV Jakob Kleist
[NAS4] NRV Hvalros
[D53] NRV Michael Croix
[FR6] NRV Victory
[FR7] NRV Kalaallisut
[CR187] NRV Jarfi
[CV11] NRV Holsteinsborg
[CV12] NRV Frederiksdal

Fleet 3 (Stationed in Egedesminde, Proxia)

[NC82] NRV Jonathan Motzfeldt
[NC81] NRV Hans Enoksen
[NAS3] NRV Segl
[D54] NRV Tom Dobbs
[FR8] NRV Republica
[CR188] NRV Ørn
[CR184] NRV Ísbjörn

Fleet 4 (Corrituck, North Carolina)

[NAS2] NRV Spækhugger
[D55] NRV King Pikachurin
[FR9] NRV Aurora
[FR5] NRV Guardian
[CV13] NRV Danmarkshavn

Fleet 5 (La Palma)

[NC83] NRV Lars Johansen
[D50] NRV King James I
[CR183] NRV Fönix
[NAS1] NRV Narhval

Fleet 6 (Monaco)

[CV14] NRV Articulund
[CV10] NRV Egedesminde
[FR4] NRV Jericho

+The NRV [i]King James I[/i], NRV [i]King James II[/i], and NRV [i]Sammyace Kintober[/i] are in port in the Kingdom of Cochin for railgun outfitting, expected to take three months. Once finished the remaining destroyers will be rotated for outfitting.

+Projected purchases in the next half a year include three (3) hospital ships and ten (10) minesweeping ships. Offers from private companies (inc. international) will be reviewed and determined, with construction to begin no more than one year from now.

Signed, Chief of National Defense Anton Frederik Tscherning

The preceding has been approved and confirmed,

Signed,

Minister David Hightower
Deputy Minister Amand Ericksson[/quote]

**Classified**

The Northern Republic has been put to DEFCON 1. All borders have been closed and all troops are being mobilized. Fleets 1 and 5 are being redirected to Florida and 50,000 men from Florida are being moved into the Mexico Protectorate.

• 4 weeks later...

The news that J Andres had ceded New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island to the Northern Republic soon spread throughout the nation, especially in the Congressional building (which was temporarily located inside a gymnasium seeing as how the actual Capitol building had been destroyed in the war against the FSA). However, while half of the congressman cheered, the other half were somber, realizing that a breaking point had finally been reached. They had planned for a situation like this, though for the past few months they had hoped the drastic measures could be avoided.

A few hours after the news Congress was declared in-session and the new [i]Maritime State Annexation Act[/i] was the first bill on the agenda. The Act called for the immediate incorporation of the new territory into the Northern Republic and allowed for 10,000 troops to move into the regions. After half an hour of debating the bill it became clear there were two polarized groups in Congress, soon nicknamed the Loyalists and the Americans.

The Loyalists were composed of the mainly rural Greenland provinces. Their de-facto leader Nicolas Jellybelly made a fiery speech as he addressed Congress, stating that "by annexing these states the Northern Republic is becoming firmly entrenched as a continental American nation. The Northern Republic was established as a Greenland-based nation. We have no right to overstretch our boundaries and annex foreign lands when we should be taking care of our homeland. We were just bombed in the war against the Federated States of America for Christ's sake, let's worry about Greenland proper: the core of our nation." This summed up the Loyalists complaints, that the Northern Republic is straying too far and does not serve Greenland as it once did.

The Americans on the other hand are led by Councilor Ty Eyvindsson, former president, who claims that "the nation is a shining beacon for American prosperity. Greenlanders, Floridians, we are all Americans striving for a bright future. The Northern Republic should assist these people when they have so blatantly requested it in the poll administered by J Andres."

Booing and vigorous commentary were being exclaimed by both sides as the other spoke. For hours this spectacle continued, until at least a vote was called on the act. In the 750 man Senatus, the bill passed 391-358 (1 abstaining) and was officially signed into law before the days end by the President, who personally sided with the Americans. The Greenlanders were furious and once a recess had been called for the day, they went back to their quarters and began initiating a last-ditch effort to "save" their Greenland, their nation.

The next day Congress was once again called into session amidst heightened tensions. The Greenland representatives walked into the building as one large group, as many looking confident as looking afraid of what might happen next. Their de-facto leader Mr. Jellybelly took the podium (violating protocol in the building) and waved a document in the air before setting it down and beginning to read:

"It brings great sadness upon me and my fellow representatives to take such drastic measures but it must be done for the welfare of our people. Our nation was founded in the soil and icy tundra of Greenland and it shall remain that way. On this list are the signatures of all congressmen from the Grøenlandia Sur, Grøenlandia Este, Kujalleq, Northern Frontier, Thule, and Proxia provinces demanding for the immediate removal of all non-Greenland holdings from the Northern Republic within the next seventy-two hours. If this does not happen we will secede from the Northern Republic.”

Immediately an uproar took hold of the building and the grown adults began screaming at each other, even threatening former friends. Soon the shouting and yelling gave way to punching and fighting and a huge brawl ensued. Only minutes later congressional police broke into the room and began to break up the fights separating the representatives. They segregated them into different corners while calling in the incident to their superiors.

Meanwhile, as soon as the President heard the news he asked for the government to be put into a temporary lockdown, with all non-vital agencies closed. The military especially was confined to their barracks and the national government worked swiftly to ensure the governors did not control any military troops beyond their measly small national guard reserves.

With the nation in a panic, an immediate conference was set up between the President, Mr. Jellybelly, and Mr. Eyvindsson to decide the future of their nation.

Edited by Californian

"As a neighbor, we watch the events happening in the Northern Republic with alarm. We hope the crisis will be resolved peacefully, and we offer any assistance and support to the Northern Republic if needed be."

Edited by JEDCJT

After seven hours the men walked out exhausted, but still able to give the press conference that the rest of the nation was anxiously waiting to hear.

"First off, thank you to J Andres for their offer of assistance," President Ármannsson began as he leaned into the microphone. "Fortunately, we have come to a peaceful decision that is mutually beneficial for everyone."

"It is apparent that the polarized sides of our nation cannot coexist together. The Greenlanders want to focus on Greenland while the Americans want to focus on America. It is in the best interests of our people that are nation is partitioned, rather, only provinces in Greenland will remain part of the Northern Republic. The rest of our lands will reform as a new nation based on the American continent. Please note this decision has been approved by an overwhelming number of Congress and I have signed it into law under the [i]National Reformation Act[/i]. Thank you."

The brief press conference left the nation stunned. Many wondered if this was even legal though an even greater number were happy that this had taken effect. However much of the joy they felt was being offset by the uneasiness of what was to happen next. What was going to happen?

In the morning an article in the newspaper revealed more information. The Northern Republic would consist of the Greenland provinces. Ellesmere Island would be given to a more suitable protector. The Atlantic States were being formed into a nation under the interim leadership of Ty Eyvindsson.

[quote]Official Communique of the Northern Republic
From President Ísólfur Ármannsson
To the Eggman Empire Government

Greetings,

Due to the recent partition of our nation the Northern Republic now consists of Greenland provinces and our primary focus is on the welfare of our people. After much consideration we feel that a united Greenland, out of reach for so long, would be a mutually beneficial action for both our nations. We are willing to be incorporated into the Eggman Empire so long as we are guaranteed our rights and freedoms.

Respectfully,

Ísólfur Ármannsson
President of the Northern Republic[/quote]

To the Canadian Empire Government

Greetings,

Due to your recent nuclear attack we realize much of your land is radiated and currently unusable. As of now we are looking to give Ellesmere to a suitable government. It currently has around 30,000 settlers, most of which have decided to stay with their new home. If you respect the current settlers and ensure their wellbeing we have no problem transferring control of the island to your government.

Respectfully,

Ísólfur Ármannsson

Private

To: President Ísólfur Ármannsson

President Ármannsson,

Louisiana is ready and willing to provide any assistance that will make the partition and transition of our ally easier. Chancellor Croix wanted to assure you personally that Louisiana is avaliable to help her ally, unfortunately, due to the war effort, Chancellor Croix is out of communication for the time being, so he has entrusted me to offer Louisiana's help.

Warm regards,

Gabriel Valcoste
Vice-Chancellor of Louisiana

[quote name='Californian' date='13 May 2010 - 04:25 AM' timestamp='1273724712' post='2296714']

[/quote]

[quote]To:President Ísólfur Ármannsson

By this I assume you mean that Northern Republic as a whole is answerable to the Eggman Empire government Rest assured, if you are fully committed to having Northern Republic absorbed into EE, the current rights and freedoms of your people will be guaranteed. For the most part, you'd remain largely autonomous from us. We will need to inspect certain government sectors and make sure they are up to Imperial standard, such as schools and utilities. Also, prisoners will be treated according to the EE penal system, and the Military and government sectors of your country would fall under our control. That is, of course, you mean what I think you do.

Isaac Muskalov Kintober
Emperor of Eggman Empire[/quote]

To the Canadian Empire Government

Greetings,

Due to your recent nuclear attack we realize much of your land is radiated and currently unusable. As of now we are looking to give Ellesmere to a suitable government. It currently has around 30,000 settlers, most of which have decided to stay with their new home. If you respect the current settlers and ensure their wellbeing we have no problem transferring control of the island to your government.

Respectfully,

Ísólfur Ármannsson

To President Ísólfur Ármannsson
From Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte I

Greetings,

This offer is the final nail in the coffin so to speak, the final nail that shows the generosity and kindness of the human condition, not just its warlike savage side.
We would be happy to accept ellesmere Island as part of the Imperium, and guarantee the well being of the settlers.

Sincerly
Napoleon Bonaparte

[b]Classified Reply to the Eggman Empire[/b]

We agree to these conditions, they are exactly as expected. However we would like to note that one portion of our nation is being transferred to the newly formed nation of Atlantis and thus will not be joining the Eggman Empire. We hope that this is acceptable.

[img]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2821/lowergreenland.png[/img]

President Ísólfur Ármannsson

[b]Classified Reply to the Canadian Empire[/b]

We are glad to be able to assist our allies in anyway possible and have pulled out all troops on Ellesmere Island. We wish your nation and quick and speedy recovery.

President Ísólfur Ármannsson