Great Wars

Jason Salovsky

Great Wars  

449 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The three Great Wars bear their name because of the similarity of the wars. They all had the same thing going for them: LUE/NAAC/GATO vs NPO/NpO, it was a war of conquest on both sides. The mission was the same in everyone: GATO/LUE/NAAC wanted to beat the tar out of NPpO.

The Unjust War doesn't even come close to a Great War, first of all it did NOT last that long and second of all it didn't exactly have the whole "Destroy NPO" vibe to it.

The BLEU War (War of the Coalition) also was not a Great War because again, it did not have the "Destroy NPO" vibe.

I could live with this most recent war being called a Great War due to it's anti-NPO nature and the feel of CnG has is very close to that of CoLUEtion/League/(WAEgis)Aegis. The main thing that differs between the Karma War and other Great Wars (other then the fact that the numbers aren't on NPO's side) is that it isn't lead by one war coalition, it is lead by many. (SuperFriends, Complaints and Grievances, Citadel, etc)

Again I could live with this being called 'Great War IV' but then again I can see how people would be against calling it GWIV as well. If Great War IV becomes the common name for it, great. If not, great. To be honest, I think people should let the old guard (not the alliance) determine the name of it. Whatever they decide, I'm down with. ;)

EDIT: Spelling

Well said sir

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 'great war' is defined by its political characteristics -- namely it is the 'tilting point' in the global dialectic whereby the contradictions that have slowly developed over time come to a point where they can no longer continue, resolving themselves one way or the other in a huge global event (which in turn brings about a new synthesis with new contradictions). In this way the Unjust War was the current war are 'great wars', while the 'War of the Coalition' was not.

The claim that a great war is characterised by the alliances that took part is entirely revisionist. It was originally so called due to the potentially world-changing nature of the war and the number of treaties involved. Today when common man speaks of a great war he speak of the above.

The claim that a great war is characterised by the alliances that took part is entirely revisionist. It was originally so called due to the potentially world-changing nature of the war and the number of treaties involved. Today when common man speaks of a great war he speak of the above.

I respectfully disagree. :jihad:

admin said this is an epic war, so Epic War I

I can get behind this. :P

The Epic War. It just sounds so...epic.

Edited by Grand Emperor Brian

To a degree I concur with this statement. However, as stated in one of my posts earlier, not only does there have to be a 'world-changing' event that must take place in order for a war to be considered a "Great War", it has to have the 'anti-NPO' feel to it.

Also, I like your sig.