Questions and discussion on the server issues

Azaghul

Last night illustrated a big problem with the game basically shutting down. It was a headache for everyone involved. I know it was for the players, and I'm sure it is for Admin trying to deal with thousands of people trying to do everything in such a short period.

He posted this in another thread:

The best way to avoid this is to 1) don't start epic wars and 2) schedule your in-game activities around non-peak traffic hours.

Unfortunately the game is designed to give great advantages to people who do the 2nd. That's not likely to change, and it's more than likely going to continue over the next couple days and perhaps even longer if a lot of people try to fight their wars around update.

I remember issues with the server during the last big war in August that eventually stopped. They were a lot worse this time probably due to more people being involved. It may have stopped because eventually the war went back under the thresholds as people stopped being on right at update in as many numbers, this war being this big that might not happen. Question to admin: Are there things you are able/going to do to ease the problem? What should we as players expect over the next few days?

You can't expect people to not try to be on during that peak time (causing anxiety for all involved) when the game gives them so many advantages for doing things at that time. If it can't be solved on the technical end, the only other hope is on the gameplay end. There are a couple different things you could do, and I have two that pop into my head. One is to ban war declarations in the hour/hours before update when the server is reaching it's limits. The other is to change updates for war so that they all don't occur at the same time. It could be 24 hours after the declaration, 24 hours rounded up to the next hour (like with nukes), 24 hours rounds to a quarter of the day (so it either updates at 12AM, 6AM, 12PM, 6PM), or something similar.

Thank you for all the work you do in creating and running the game and I'm sure you are doing your best here. :)

Edited by Azaghul

Many have incorrectly complained it is a bandwidth issue, but admin pays for unlimited bandwidth.

The issue is concurrent database connections, the database can only handle so many people connecting to it at once and there is little that can be done about that.

Banning war declarations would do little, as many who are already at war will still try and attack at update.

Any kind of shuffling of update is going to pertain a complete re-write of masses of code and is unlikely to be done ever, let alone during a large war.

Users are going to have to weigh up the benefits of going in a little early, or the possibility of being shut out around update, it may be unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Many have incorrectly complained it is a bandwidth issue, but admin pays for unlimited bandwidth.

The issue is concurrent database connections, the database can only handle so many people connecting to it at once and there is little that can be done about that.

Banning war declarations would do little, as many who are already at war will still try and attack at update.

Any kind of shuffling of update is going to pertain a complete re-write of masses of code and is unlikely to be done ever, let alone during a large war.

Users are going to have to weigh up the benefits of going in a little early, or the possibility of being shut out around update, it may be unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Not only that, but shuffling update will still end up rewarding, say, an alliance that does a blitz at 22:00 or so. And then you open up the can of worms 'whose update do you go by, the attacker or the defender?'.

And moving update just means instead of waiting until 0:00, we wait until 3:00 or 9:00 or 17:00.

I'd say our esteemed moderator has it here.

Not only that, but shuffling update will still end up rewarding, say, an alliance that does a blitz at 22:00 or so. And then you open up the can of worms 'whose update do you go by, the attacker or the defender?'.

And moving update just means instead of waiting until 0:00, we wait until 3:00 or 9:00 or 17:00.

I'd say our esteemed moderator has it here.

You misunderstand, the update would depend on when the war was declared, which would vary war to war and so everyone would want to be on for their update, but that would vary so it wouldn't be every player at the same time.

Loxley understands the problem exactly. Big wars cause huge traffic jams with everyone wanting to get to the same location all at once. All that traffic left unregulated would not only bog the system down bringing all work to a halt but we'd run the risk of corrupting the database. I'm just as frustrated as you are by all of this but at this point given the current gameplay settings there isn't much that I can do about the problem. Buying a bigger server won't help. Buying more bandwidth won't help.