Great War [insert roman numeral here]

Right this point is constantly argued when people make threads on the "next great war". The argument that it's not great war y it's great war x.

I would love it if we could collectively come to an agreement as to what constitutes a great war.

And finally have the "Great War's" named and placed on a plinth.

The two World Wars, of the 20th century, took place on every populated continent on Earth. Many of the nations who fought in the First World War also fought in the Second, although not always on the same sides. Some historians have characterized the World Wars as a single "European civil war" spanning the period 1914–1945.[citation needed] It also overlooks the war in the Far East caused by Japan's programme of territorial expansion, which started independently of events in Europe.

I think deciding factors should be:

• Scope - How many alliances were involved, how many were sanctioned across how many spheres
  • Damage - Actually how much fighting was done, nuclear or non nuclear?
  • Aftermath - How the world may have changed politically, how the treaty web changed, social attitudes
  • Duration - weeks, months, years

It's my belief that only really 2 Great war's have happened (possibly 3 but i was not there at the time), so i'll be tuning my "criteria" so it fits with my view. But can we come to a consensus is it even possible?

So my questions:

What great war are we on?

What criteria makes one?

Edited by Shamshir

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that there are only 3 Great Wars. Between NPO/LUE.

I do not see the Unjust War and the War of the First Coalition as Great Wars for the fact that they did not included the old fashioned Orders vs the CoaLUEtion. But they are however major wars that shook the game as are as listed as such.

recap for my POV: Great Wars I/II/III are the only "Great" Wars. There will not be another "Great" War if its not centerized with the Order(s) vs CoaLUEtion. Major Wars however will continue and will be named as such. Maybe.

I typically see great wars as involving more that half of the MDP web and the majority of the sanctioned alliances. Based on scale, the great wars that I have fought in were

Farklands

Aegis v WUT

Unjust War

No CB war

To me, only the second and third on the list really accomplished anything. The second led to the final fall of the Aegis and the third led to the fall of the UJP and the final fall of WUT. The first on the list just set the stage for the second. The fourth didn't really accomplish or resolve anything.

As for duration, I'd say at least two weeks of continuous fighting. At the end of it, there should be some sort of catharsis or realignment.

Edited by Duncan King

Using "Great War" as a name rather than a description, there were only three.

All the other wars have acceptable names and calling them "Great War #" only serves to ambiguate them.

Though calling the NoCB war the "War of the Coalition" doesn't help to differentiate it much either.

A world war whose outcome is undecided at some point during the war is a Great War in my book. Hence, I view UJW as GWIV, but I don't view Coalition/noCB/whatever they call it these days as GWV.

-Bama

A great war is a war that is evenly sided with continuous war that causes significant damage to both sides and changes the political climate.

There will be other Great Wars, they just will not happen as often.

You guys seem to forget that there was a "World war I", the first alliance war in CN between INC and GATO.

But then we started using "Great War" involving multiple alliances. I agree that there have only been 3 great wars, and I think the next "great war" should only be called so if the NPO falls. I also think it should only be a great war if the NPO is involved.

The Great Wars were a series on conflicts between the Orders and the CoaLUEtion (and its predecessors). Thus in the absence of the latter, there can be no further Great Wars.

Now there certainly have been global or world wars, such as the Unjust War and the No CB war, but those are not the same thing.

Its a war fought for the hegemony of Planet bob So far there have been 4, fairly even great wars. I doubt this one will be one though, unless the other side, whoever they might be actually poses a threat to pacifica.

More than you think ;)

Great wars - 1-4 give or take UJW

The war of Coalition was not a great war

the next major war should have a new name to refer to:

*World war

*Super war

you can choose the name, but great war should not be used, as Great wars always start off with one conflict and grow, and it seems new wars have different, but related, conflicts.

The Great Wars were a series on conflicts between the Orders and the CoaLUEtion (and its predecessors). Thus in the absence of the latter, there can be no further Great Wars.

Now there certainly have been global or world wars, such as the Unjust War and the No CB war, but those are not the same thing.

I disagree. If we were to run with your example, the Earth wars WWI and WWII were called that because they involved Germany. The hypothetical WWIII between the US and Russia could not be called a "World War" because they were not fighting against Germany.

That would be a silly, arbitrary distinction, just like your distinction that on Planet Bob only wars involving the CoaLUEtion can be called "Great".

Hit the nail on the head you did my friend.

The great wars ended with the death of LUE and NAAC. It's time for some better names, people.

Basically agreeing with Penchuck here, but you have also hit it right on the head. Especially the "better names" part.

Great Wars 1-3 were the only Great Wars. NPO vs CoaLUEtion

The next ones were the "Curb Stomp Wars", mainly because they were very one sided in terms of NS.

Hopefully this next war will start a new era of them.

I agree with everything here. Hopefully there will be more even wars that aren't easy to see the winners.

A great war is any war risking vast amounts of infrastructure, where the sides accumulate mass amounts of nation strength, where incredible damage is incurred, and have the potential to cause major changes in the political landscape.

The First Great War, Second Great War, Third Great War, Unjust War, and War of the Coalition have all met all or at least one of these criteria, therefore are all great wars. That does not mean, however, that they must all be known primarily as great wars. But whether or not it involves the CoaLUEtion band of alliances is irrelevant.

This next war will be the Sixth Great War. However, it does not necessarily need to be named as such.

Edited by Ventus ex Gutter