Reception of an important guest

Subtleknifewielder

It was a sunny day at the airport where the plane was to touch down. All was in readiness--a limisine and an honor guard, an eight-man squad of marines, were nearby, with three military-grade jeeps just behind them.

The Air Traffic Controller had instructions to permit this flight to land without trouble, given personally by President Jackson, who now stood at the head of the honor guard. He also, was in a marine uniform, as befitted his former rank in that branch of the service.

250px-Daniel_Jackson_Ark_of_Truth.jpg

He and the marines stood at full attention, waiting for the plane to land...

OOC: King Kevz, you have permission to RP the Air Traffic Controller. And the city is New Jerusalem.

To Everyone else, this is closed between King Kevz and myself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The private jet that contained the High General circled above the New Jerusalem airport as the pilot contacted the air traffic controller and requested permission to land and after a short exchange the pilot was given permission to land and the aircraft banked around to make its final run. The plane touched down smoothly with no problems before taxing off the runway and coming to a stop. Valerie finished her drink of plain water before standing up and making her way to the exit, she had her hood lowered down over her shoulders as she knew it gave a better image that way. Telling the air crew to stay onboard the aircraft as usual she made her way down the steps to the waiting honour guard below. She recognised President Jackson even if he was dressed like everyone else. She stopped before him and bowed slightly in respect she knew that he would probally be surprised at her young age of seventeen but she hoped to show him how mature she really was. "Greetings President Jackson I am honoured by the guard you have brought" she said with a slight smile.

OOC: Oh, btw, italics denote thoughts, and are therefore not spoken aloud unless otherwise noted.

The private jet that contained the High General circled above the New Jerusalem airport as the pilot contacted the air traffic controller and requested permission to land and after a short exchange the pilot was given permission to land and the aircraft banked around to make its final run. The plane touched down smoothly with no problems before taxing off the runway and coming to a stop. Valerie finished her drink of plain water before standing up and making her way to the exit, she had her hood lowered down over her shoulders as she knew it gave a better image that way. Telling the air crew to stay onboard the aircraft as usual she made her way down the steps to the waiting honour guard below. She recognised President Jackson even if he was dressed like everyone else. She stopped before him and bowed slightly in respect she knew that he would probally be surprised at her young age of seventeen but she hoped to show him how mature she really was. "Greetings President Jackson I am honoured by the guard you have brought" she said with a slight smile.

IC: Yes, he was surprised at her age, but seeing as she was his guest, he could hardly comment on it and still be polite, at least at the present time. He returned the bow in equal measure.

Straightening, he smiled and saluted, the troops following suit. 'Long way up, short way down,' he remebered from basic training. That phrase had stuck with him all these years. "Considering what I've heard of your nation, it seemed the appropriate thing to do. You're probably wondering why I'm in this uniform?"

At this point, the officer in charge of the squad gave the order "Order, arms!" prompting the marines to lower their hands from the salute and return to a state of attention.

Valerie rose from her bow and stood straight again and also saulted though in the Helzan style. She smiled as she looked over the President he looked quite handsome and held himself in the same way Colonel Radec did though Radec was a lot harsher and stricter. "I am guessing you have served some time in the military and that you retain the uniform?" answered Valerie hoping that she wasn't showing herself up in front of her hosts by her way of conduct.

Valerie rose from her bow and stood straight again and also saulted though in the Helzan style. She smiled as she looked over the President he looked quite handsome and held himself in the same way Colonel Radec did though Radec was a lot harsher and stricter. "I am guessing you have served some time in the military and that you retain the uniform?" answered Valerie hoping that she wasn't showing herself up in front of her hosts by her way of conduct.

The smile widened, and he nodded his approval. "Very perceptive, High General. Or is there something else you would prefer I call you? Yes, I was a commissioned officer in the marine corps. These men were once under my command." He indicated the marines standing in two lines, facing each other.

"Please call me Valerie. I myself have never commanded any body of soldiers personally that is left to Colonel Radec and I just sign the neccessary documents and continue to look towards progressing the Helzan towards a better goal and way of life. What is it like Mr President having to command men and women personally to head into battle knowing that they might not come back alive?" asked Valerie suddenly and seriousaly.

"Please call me Valerie. I myself have never commanded any body of soldiers personally that is left to Colonel Radec and I just sign the neccessary documents and continue to look towards progressing the Helzan towards a better goal and way of life. What is it like Mr President having to command men and women personally to head into battle knowing that they might not come back alive?" asked Valerie suddenly and seriousaly.

The smile faltered, fading away. "To be honest...it is not at all a pleasant experience. Here, a modicum of friendliness is encouraged between the officers and elnisted men, giving them a tighter bond and more of a willingness to trust each other. But that makes it that much harder when you must send them into battle...knowing that despite your best efforts, even in a victory, not all of them will come out alive. Have you ever heard the old saying about the most terrible thing, aside from a battle lost, is a battle won? Truer words were never spoken."

And he spoke from experience. Though Promised Land had never been in an official war since its creation, its armed forces had still seen some conflict. Unseen, a single tear trickled from his left eye as he turned away.

Suddenly self-conscious, he cleared his throat and looked back at Valerie. "Well, we can stand her chatting all day, or we can return to the city and have these discussions in a proper setting. Would you prefer to ride in the limosine, or a jeep?"

Valerie stood listening to the President talk and wished that she never had to send some one she loved or liked dearly to death one day. She realised that the President was waiting for her to answer and quickly looked at her two choices. She had already ridden in a limosine in Hansa and it was a very enjoyable ride but riding in the jeep could have its own fun involved. She took a minute or two before responding. "Let us take the jeep I havn't ridden inside of one for a long time and it might give me a better view of your country" replied Valerie with a smile as she waited for the President's response.

Valerie stood listening to the President talk and wished that she never had to send some one she loved or liked dearly to death one day. She realised that the President was waiting for her to answer and quickly looked at her two choices. She had already ridden in a limosine in Hansa and it was a very enjoyable ride but riding in the jeep could have its own fun involved. She took a minute or two before responding. "Let us take the jeep I havn't ridden inside of one for a long time and it might give me a better view of your country" replied Valerie with a smile as she waited for the President's response.

"The jeep it is," he replied, the smile back in place, though not as wide as before. The marines took the other two jeeps, four to a vehicle, and the limosine simply waited. When two of his guards made as if to get out of the limo to drive the jeep, he waved them off. "I'll drive." He opened the door for Valerie before getting in himself, however, as that was the polite thing to do.

The guards he'd waved off simply got in the back. Despite their calm demeanor, they almost gave off an aura of...nervousness?

He started the vehicle, and pressed down on the accelerator...and the engine died. "Heh," he grinned sheepishly. "Been a while since I've driven one of these things..." He tried again, this time with decisively better results. "Ah, much better," he said, and floored it. They zoomed off down the road that connected the airport with the city. It was some fifty miles between the airport and the city boundaries (and that in a straight line, not following the road), and it was a dusty, sandy route.

Valerie took her place in the passenger front seat in the jeep, thanking the President when he opened the door for her and she resisted giggiling when he stalled the jeep and then when he floored the vehicle she smiled in joy as the wind whipped her hair out behind her and she leaned out into the breeze feeling like any normal teenager instead of the head of state that she was. She laughed as she flet the wind smoothly flow across her face which contrasted nicely with the heat from the weather of Promised Land. "Mr President please forgive my actions but I have never been able to experince my teenage life as a teenager until now, other than that visit to see the Lady Protector" said Valerie as she pulled herself back inside the jeep so that she could behave properly. "Your nation is so different to mine and yet also different to the Hansa's it will take some time to get use to this".

Valerie took her place in the passenger front seat in the jeep, thanking the President when he opened the door for her and she resisted giggiling when he stalled the jeep and then when he floored the vehicle she smiled in joy as the wind whipped her hair out behind her and she leaned out into the breeze feeling like any normal teenager instead of the head of state that she was. She laughed as she flet the wind smoothly flow across her face which contrasted nicely with the heat from the weather of Promised Land. "Mr President please forgive my actions but I have never been able to experince my teenage life as a teenager until now, other than that visit to see the Lady Protector" said Valerie as she pulled herself back inside the jeep so that she could behave properly. "Your nation is so different to mine and yet also different to the Hansa's it will take some time to get use to this".

"Yes, I expect we are quite different." He paused as they ran over a slight bump in the road, causing the vehicle to jump, just slightly, into the air before coming back to the ground. Jackson, undeterred, never let up on the gas pedal. "But that can be seen as a blessing. If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place." The smile was once more a full grin.

"I certainly won't begrudge you this one moment of adolescence. I got few of them myself as a teenager."

Behind them, the jeeps containing the marines followed at a fair distance, trying but failing to catch up.

"Thank you Mr President but I should act more mature when in public otherwise I am sure there would be people who would try to take advantage of my behaviour. I must say that your country is quite amazing and certainly look forward to visiting your capital if that is ok?" asked Valerie before looking back at the trailing security and then back to the President. "I was wondering Mr President do you have any questions or queries for me whilst we are alone here?".

"Thank you Mr President but I should act more mature when in public otherwise I am sure there would be people who would try to take advantage of my behaviour. I must say that your country is quite amazing and certainly look forward to visiting your capital if that is ok?" asked Valerie before looking back at the trailing security and then back to the President. "I was wondering Mr President do you have any questions or queries for me whilst we are alone here?".

"We're heading to the capital now, actually," he said, briefly glancing off to the left after seeing a dust cloud. Apparently a mob of kangaroos had been startled by their passing. Turning back to facing the road before he swerved off, he continued speaking. "You are most welcome to explore it while you are here."

He considered the offer of questions. Remembering his first thought upon seeing her emerge from the plane, he asked, "Actually, I am curious about one thing...how did someone as young as yourself become your nation's head of government? While not unheard-of, it is a rare thing."

Of all the questiosn that the President would have wanted to ask her that one should have been the most likely and yet Valerie was still taken by surprise by it and she took a moment to answer. "My father ruled the Helzan before myself and I always knew I would follow in his footsteps once I was older but on my seventeenth birthday he said he would be going to get my present and then he disappeared without a trace and we looked for him but when we couldn't find him I had to take charge as was the system and so here I am at such a young age, with such a responsibilty" replied Valerie trying to smile but the thought of her missing father made it almost impossible.

He wasn't sure how to respond to that. Sympathy? Condolances? Somehow these words didn't express what he felt he should probably say. Nevertheless, he had to say something.

"I am sorry to hear about that. If it's any consolation, I lost my father when I was about your age myself."

His next words were half in jest, though he certainly still meant them. "And your country isn't falling apart, so you must be doing something right." He briefly glanced over at her and winked as he said that.

"Thank you Mr President I know that my father is most likely dead or gone off somewhere wihtout me but I won't let that stop me from being the strong and confident leader that I know I can be" she returned the President's wink with a cute childish smile of her own before continuing "Maybe so Mr President but I can't say that its because of just myself if it wasn't for my staff and Colonel Radec I would be floudering like a fish stuck on dry land" she laughed at her own metaphor before managing to control it into a short giggle.

"Thank you Mr President I know that my father is most likely dead or gone off somewhere wihtout me but I won't let that stop me from being the strong and confident leader that I know I can be" she returned the President's wink with a cute childish smile of her own before continuing "Maybe so Mr President but I can't say that its because of just myself if it wasn't for my staff and Colonel Radec I would be floudering like a fish stuck on dry land" she laughed at her own metaphor before managing to control it into a short giggle.

He chuckled a little himself. "An appropriate comparison, I suppose. But don't let it get you down. Whether they like to admit it or not, no leader can run a nation all on their own. You may or may not be aware of it, but I am not the person ultimately in charge of this nation. Subtleknifewielder is actually above me, but he realizes the truth of what I just told you. He knows to delegate authority where possible so that he does not have too much to handle himself. And any wise leader, even if they are a supreme dictator, will tell you the same--to delegate authority and responsibility where appropriate."

He glanced back at the marines following them, still just distant plumes of dust behind them. Grinning, he posed the question to his guest. "Should we let them catch up now? They're probably gnashing their teeth because we aren't letting them do their job."

OOC: Sorry sorry

IC: "Strange I have never heard of Subtleknifewielder but then again I havn't been the best kept up in world events. This is only my second visit to a foreign country however, I must say both of these visits have been brilliant so far and I think this one still will be" Valerie turned back around and looked over her shoulder at the cars in the distance, "will you be safe and not get in trouble if we don't allow them to catch us up?" asked Valerie with a slight frown as she didn't wish to place the President in danger or to get the man in trouble with his bodyguards.

OOC: Sorry sorry

IC: "Strange I have never heard of Subtleknifewielder but then again I havn't been the best kept up in world events. This is only my second visit to a foreign country however, I must say both of these visits have been brilliant so far and I think this one still will be" Valerie turned back around and looked over her shoulder at the cars in the distance, "will you be safe and not get in trouble if we don't allow them to catch us up?" asked Valerie with a slight frown as she didn't wish to place the President in danger or to get the man in trouble with his bodyguards.

OOC: No problem.

IC: "Oh, they may be mad, but seeing as their job is to keep us safe, they won't hurt me. Though they probably won't speak to me for a month if I don't slow down." As he spoke, he eased up on the accelerator, and the marines behind slowly began to catch up.

"Frankly, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of Subtleknifewielder. He rarely advertises his presence. It would be contrary to the whole purpose of leading from the shadows. And if everyone knew who he was, his job would be that much harder."

Valerie shook her head sadly from side to side as President Jackson finished speaking. "I feel sorry for the man, it is horrible how he must hide in the shadows from everyone. His enemies must be powerful and many for him to have to hide like so. I just hope one day when we have peace in the world he can come out into the light and enjoy life as it is meant to be lived" replied Valerie as she looked off into the distance her mind on something other than the ride in the jeep. Blowing a soft sigh through her lips she pulled herself back around to face the President. "Mr President if you don't mind me asking do you have any family? A wife or children perhaps?".

Valerie shook her head sadly from side to side as President Jackson finished speaking. "I feel sorry for the man, it is horrible how he must hide in the shadows from everyone. His enemies must be powerful and many for him to have to hide like so. I just hope one day when we have peace in the world he can come out into the light and enjoy life as it is meant to be lived" replied Valerie as she looked off into the distance her mind on something other than the ride in the jeep. Blowing a soft sigh through her lips she pulled herself back around to face the President. "Mr President if you don't mind me asking do you have any family? A wife or children perhaps?".

The marines behind them were actually visible as more than dust trails now. They could just barely make out individuals seated in the vehicles.

He smiled as he replied, showing that he did not, in fact, mind the question. "No, I'm afraid I never got around to marrying. And it didn't seem right to have children without finding someone to marry. I won't have any child of mine grow up with only one parent, not if I can help it. of course, that may change, if I actually find someone I'm interested in."

"Please forgive me but that is quite surprising seeing as you are clearly quite the handsome man and I would have thought the women would be dying to be with you, if I was a few years older I might be interested who knows" said Valerie laughing slightly before becoming quite serious again "then again I am not sure if I would be able to settle down with a single person I spend so much time looking after the land and the people back in Helzan I sometimes feel like I am married to the state. Anyway I will stop boring you know Mr President why don't you tell me about Promised Land and its people".

"Please forgive me but that is quite surprising seeing as you are clearly quite the handsome man and I would have thought the women would be dying to be with you, if I was a few years older I might be interested who knows" said Valerie laughing slightly before becoming quite serious again "then again I am not sure if I would be able to settle down with a single person I spend so much time looking after the land and the people back in Helzan I sometimes feel like I am married to the state. Anyway I will stop boring you know Mr President why don't you tell me about Promised Land and its people".

"No, you're not boring me," he answered, perfectly serious. "It's been a while since I've been able to just talk with someone I can consider an equal. The reasons you gave are also a part of why I haven't found anyone. The problem isn't with a lack of opportunity. I just haven't found the right one."

As the marines caught up, one jeep passed them. The driver glared at him, and he simply waved cheekily and flipped the man off--careful not to let his guest see the gesture by the simple expedient of doing it with the hand on the side opposite her.

The marine rolled his eyes but moved ahead to pace them about 30 yards in front. The other did the same behind. Close enough to guard, but too far to hear anything said.

"As for the people, if you really want to know...you've probably seen how vocal we are on global issues. Our sense of right and wrong is based strongly in the Christian heritage of our ancestors. Today you can see many different religious faiths being practiced, but the majority of those subsribing to a blieif are still Christions of one sort or another."

A brief pause, then he resumed speaking. "The reason we have spoken up so strongly on unwarranted Imperialism also comes from our ancestors, who were forced from their original land in North America by such a nation."