Broken Timbers

Sarah Tintagyl

The house guard immediately remarked happily at the arrival of the Promised Land representative who was a frequent visitor to the Commonwealth and Her Ladyship's residence proper. "Evening sir." Said one of the guards at the gates. "There's quite the gathering inside, if you'd follow me I can take you inside." He then led the representative up the stairs into the Front Hall. "I believe they've retired to the parlor, Lord Rukia, Lord and Lady Solidor, plus Martens and that Nordheim head of state, ah and the Marchar Lord. It is quite the interesting group. But they're right in there." He said opening the door allowing the representative into the parlor.

Sarah beamed at the entrance of the new Kaiser of Sudreich and she was even happier to see that he had brought a new addition to his entourage. "Oh Your Lordship it is a pleasure to see you again and under such divine conditions as these. A loving wife and daughter, positively amazing. Cassandra, welcome to the Hansa." Then Sarah got down to her knees to look into the eyes of Ysabel. "And you darling. What a beautiful girl. Oh this is quite the surprise Lord Ranather. Quite the pleasant surprise."

"I once told myself that I could never love again, but fate has wiped that completely. Here we are to celebrate a new age, a new dawn where our children might not have to see the horrors we have seen. Oh, there will still be war and death, it is the way of man, but perhaps we can still leave a better world to the next generation." Ranather said with a cheerful demeanor that had not been seen in many, many years.

"It is my distinct pleasure to meet you, Sarah. I have heard many good things." Cassandra said as Ysabel made a cute little waving gesture to Sarah. A few moments later, Ran's eyes were inevitably drawn to Martens.

"You live, interesting. Hello."

The house guard immediately remarked happily at the arrival of the Promised Land representative who was a frequent visitor to the Commonwealth and Her Ladyship's residence proper. "Evening sir." Said one of the guards at the gates. "There's quite the gathering inside, if you'd follow me I can take you inside." He then led the representative up the stairs into the Front Hall. "I believe they've retired to the parlor, Lord Rukia, Lord and Lady Solidor, plus Martens and that Nordheim head of state, ah and the Marchar Lord. It is quite the interesting group. But they're right in there." He said opening the door allowing the representative into the parlor.

Anthony bit his lip before entering. He'd not expected there to be other people here, more than one with whom his nation had been at odds with, but it was too late to turn back. Since more than one of the current gusts had seen Uberstein beforem he wondered curtiously how each would react to his uncanny resemblance to that man. Other than his black hair, he was a near-perfect copy...

Anthony bit his lip before entering. He'd not expected there to be other people here, more than one with whom his nation had been at odds with, but it was too late to turn back. Since more than one of the current gusts had seen Uberstein beforem he wondered curtiously how each would react to his uncanny resemblance to that man. Other than his black hair, he was a near-perfect copy...

As Sarah had finished talked to Ranather, who had turned to Martens the arrival of another guest helped her distance herself from the political conversation that was surely to develop on that side of the parlor. She would find herself there later, but for now, if she could stay in a good mood, she had ever intention of doing so. When Anthony walked in nervously through the door, her face lit up and she walked over quickly to embrace him. "Anthony! Its so good to see you." She looked at him oddly. "But I wasn't expecting you at all. Not that you aren't welcome, you're always welcome. I just figured I would have gotten a missive first. How are you? How have things been? How are things in Promised Land?"

As Sarah had finished talked to Ranather, who had turned to Martens the arrival of another guest helped her distance herself from the political conversation that was surely to develop on that side of the parlor. She would find herself there later, but for now, if she could stay in a good mood, she had ever intention of doing so. When Anthony walked in nervously through the door, her face lit up and she walked over quickly to embrace him. "Anthony! Its so good to see you." She looked at him oddly. "But I wasn't expecting you at all. Not that you aren't welcome, you're always welcome. I just figured I would have gotten a missive first. How are you? How have things been? How are things in Promised Land?"

He awkwardly returned the hug, before releasing her and smiling tentatively. "Everything's fine," he said quietly. For those who'd actually met him, he even sounded like Uberstein. "I was hoping to surprise you...but I see I have come at a bad time. Perhaps I can come again later?"

He awkwardly returned the hug, before releasing her and smiling tentatively. "Everything's fine," he said quietly. For those who'd actually met him, he even sounded like Uberstein. "I was hoping to surprise you...but I see I have come at a bad time. Perhaps I can come again later?"

"No not at all Anthony. You know you're always welcomed here, you're practically family anyways." Sarah led him deeper into the room. "I'm sure you've met most of the people here. Lord Ranather and his family, Larsa and his sister Caroline as well has his nephew Mikhail the Lord of Nordheim and Kaiser Michel Martens." Sarah chuckled as she turned back to him. "Quite the odd arrange of guests I know, but you and I are used to such an interesting array of people. But I was glad you came, someone I can talk to on a more personal level instead of politics and foreign policy. But I'm glad to hear that everything is fine back home, now tell me, how did you know I was doing this little get-together?" She laughed handing him a cup of tea and pointing to a chair that he could sit down in and talk.

"No not at all Anthony. You know you're always welcomed here, you're practically family anyways." Sarah led him deeper into the room. "I'm sure you've met most of the people here. Lord Ranather and his family, Larsa and his sister Caroline as well has his nephew Mikhail the Lord of Nordheim and Kaiser Michel Martens." Sarah chuckled as she turned back to him. "Quite the odd arrange of guests I know, but you and I are used to such an interesting array of people. But I was glad you came, someone I can talk to on a more personal level instead of politics and foreign policy. But I'm glad to hear that everything is fine back home, now tell me, how did you know I was doing this little get-together?" She laughed handing him a cup of tea and pointing to a chair that he could sit down in and talk.

He blinked, the only indication of being startled he would give, when she called him a part of the family. As she indicated Mikhail and Martens, he gave those two a curious stare, but did not comment further. Absently, he took the cup of tea she offered, and sat in the indicated chair.

He shifted in his seat as he took a sip of the tea, not really paying attention to the flavor, but rather stalling for time. "Actually...I wasn't aware you had guests," he admitted. "If I had, I would gave waited until later to come."

He blinked, the only indication of being startled he would give, when she called him a part of the family. As she indicated Mikhail and Martens, he gave those two a curious stare, but did not comment further. Absently, he took the cup of tea she offered, and sat in the indicated chair.

He shifted in his seat as he took a sip of the tea, not really paying attention to the flavor, but rather stalling for time. "Actually...I wasn't aware you had guests," he admitted. "If I had, I would gave waited until later to come."

She smiled back. "No, Anthony, like I said its no problem at all. I'm glad you were able to come." Sarah looked at him curiously. "Why is there a problem that we can't talk about in public?" She looked at the empty hall where they would be able to talk privately. "Is there something that needs discussed?"

She smiled back. "No, Anthony, like I said its no problem at all. I'm glad you were able to come." Sarah looked at him curiously. "Why is there a problem that we can't talk about in public?" She looked at the empty hall where they would be able to talk privately. "Is there something that needs discussed?"

"Well..." he trailed off, not sure how to explain it. "It's not a problem, per se. I just felt there were a few things you needed to know. Things about--" he lowered his voice, "--the past."

He got her hint about the hall. "Things to be discussed privately."

Sarah nodded and stood up from her seat and took Anthony's hand leading him into the hallway outside of the parlor. Once there she turned and stared at him curiously. "So what of the past?"

For the first time since she'd known him, she'd see him display his first signs of nervousness. Biting his lower lip, his foot tapping on the floor (though just barely), these were not things he commonly did.

"You already know exactly who and what I am today in my own nation, and I've explained how that came to be (OOC: Some time which has not yet happened in the kidnap thread/OOC). However, I never told you what came before...where I came from. Partly, that was because up until a few years ago, I could not recall myself, due to a case of amnesia."

Though not a deliberate decision on his part, he was stalling for time, trying to figure out the best way to say this...

For the first time since she'd known him, she'd see him display his first signs of nervousness. Biting his lower lip, his foot tapping on the floor (though just barely), these were not things he commonly did.

"You already know exactly who and what I am today in my own nation, and I've explained how that came to be (OOC: Some time which has not yet happened in the kidnap thread/OOC). However, I never told you what came before...where I came from. Partly, that was because up until a few years ago, I could not recall myself, due to a case of amnesia."

Though not a deliberate decision on his part, he was stalling for time, trying to figure out the best way to say this...

Sarah touched his face gently as she put her tea cup down on a small wooden table next to where they were standing. "I never knew you suffered from amnesia Anthony, I'm sorry to hear that. But what of your past?" She chuckled and smiled. "You know you can trust me, tell me what needs to be said. What's on your mind."

Sarah touched his face gently as she put her tea cup down on a small wooden table next to where they were standing. "I never knew you suffered from amnesia Anthony, I'm sorry to hear that. But what of your past?" She chuckled and smiled. "You know you can trust me, tell me what needs to be said. What's on your mind."

As she touched his face, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. The gentle caress reminded him so much of...he mentally cut off the thought before it went any further. No more stalling.

Opening his eyes once more, he resumed speaking. "I once told you that I came originally from Europe. That was shortly after my memory began coming back. What I did not tell you was exactly where. I came from Russany."

If she had retained her studies of European history, she would know that was the original domain of the dictator Baron Erwin von Uberstein.

"I still have some gaps in my memory, but I do recall my family. My mother, my brother...and my father. And my name. It was..." he took another deep breath "...Anton von Uberstein."

He still couldn't bring himself to say the words, but she was an intelligent woman. She would probably pick up on the implication. He still sometimes had trouble believing it himself. His nation had often been at odds with another nation...that was led by his own father.

OOC: OK, I know you're on now. <_<

OOC: Subtle...give me time...I was getting to it :lol:

IC: Sarah looked at him in disbelief as she drew back against the wall if only for a moment. "I knew you resembled the man, but I had no idea he was your father." She looked down at the floor. "All the pain that is built up inside of you, now I understand were it come from, for the world to show such hostility towards the man and now to see the current problems in Europe. My God, I wouldn't know how you could do it." She looked back up at him. "But what made you leave? What made you separate from your father to come down here?" Sarah's eyes widened. "How are you so much different than your father? To ban Martenicism and all? Truly a great deal must have happened to you in the past."

OOC: Subtle...give me time...I was getting to it :lol:

IC: Sarah looked at him in disbelief as she drew back against the wall if only for a moment. "I knew you resembled the man, but I had no idea he was your father." She looked down at the floor. "All the pain that is built up inside of you, now I understand were it come from, for the world to show such hostility towards the man and now to see the current problems in Europe. My God, I wouldn't know how you could do it." She looked back up at him. "But what made you leave? What made you separate from your father to come down here?" Sarah's eyes widened. "How are you so much different than your father? To ban Martenicism and all? Truly a great deal must have happened to you in the past."

OOC: I didn't know...can't see where you are, cause that feature's disabled. Sorry. :blush:

IC: He laughed quietly, but bitterly, as he stared at his feet. "I never had a choice about leaving him. When the people of Russany rebelled, I and my brother went underground...literally. One of the explosions nearly caused a cave-in. As it was, quite a bit of decris was knocked loose from the ceiling. One of the larger pieces hit me on the head. When I woke, I had no idea who I was, where I was from, no memories of the past at all. The only reason I survived was my brother, who got us aboard a refugee ship that took us far away fromt he fighting. The destination just happened to be Australia."

He paused, took a deep breath, and collected himself, raising his head to look her straight in the eye. "That's why I turned out so differently from my father. I had no memory of him. As you can imagine, I was quite shocked when my memories began coming back." This time, the laugh was less bitter, instead being more of an irtonic chuckle.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: I didn't know...can't see where you are, cause that feature's disabled. Sorry. :blush:

IC: He laughed quietly, but bitterly, as he stared at his feet. "I never had a choice about leaving him. When the people of Russany rebelled, I and my brother went underground...literally. One of the explosions nearly caused a cave-in. As it was, quite a bit of decris was knocked loose from the ceiling. One of the larger pieces hit me on the head. When I woke, I had no idea who I was, where I was from, no memories of the past at all. The only reason I survived was my brother, who got us aboard a refugee ship that took us far away fromt he fighting. The destination just happened to be Australia."

He paused, took a deep breath, and collected himself, raising his head to look her straight in the eye. "That's why I turned out so differently from my father. I had no memory of him. As you can imagine, I was quite shocked when my memories began coming back." This time, the laugh was less bitter, instead being more of an irtonic chuckle.

Sarah chuckled lightly. "I've always had a problem with being one of the younger leaders in this world of ours. Everyone I meet I've actually read about in my history books back in the university. The Russany rebellion, Erwin von Uberstein, and I think it is unfortunate that I was not able to read about you Anton...Anthony. But I'm sure the students now will be reading about our exploits in the world today." She looked down at the ground and picked up her cup of tea again. "I had the chance to engage in correspondence with your father, before all the problems in Europe started. He seems like he has changed a great deal, perhaps there is a time in the future for you two to meet again."

She looked back into the room at Mikhail, Larsa, Ranather, and Martens. "They all look so happy, a family of sorts is building around them, around my absence of ever having a family to support me." Sarah shook her head. "Well that's not all true." She said as a single tear formed in her right eye. "Its just been such a long time..." Turning back to Anthony she feigned a smile. "I was able to get Larsa and Mikhail back together, I'm sure we could reunite you and Erwin again."

Sarah chuckled lightly. "I've always had a problem with being one of the younger leaders in this world of ours. Everyone I meet I've actually read about in my history books back in the university. The Russany rebellion, Erwin von Uberstein, and I think it is unfortunate that I was not able to read about you Anton...Anthony. But I'm sure the students now will be reading about our exploits in the world today." She looked down at the ground and picked up her cup of tea again. "I had the chance to engage in correspondence with your father, before all the problems in Europe started. He seems like he has changed a great deal, perhaps there is a time in the future for you two to meet again."

She looked back into the room at Mikhail, Larsa, Ranather, and Martens. "They all look so happy, a family of sorts is building around them, around my absence of ever having a family to support me." Sarah shook her head. "Well that's not all true." She said as a single tear formed in her right eye. "Its just been such a long time..." Turning back to Anthony she feigned a smile. "I was able to get Larsa and Mikhail back together, I'm sure we could reunite you and Erwin again."

He smiled gratefully. "Yes, he certainly does seem to have changed. Especially from the kindly, benevolent man I knew as a child. The same day he lost myself and my brother, he lost our mother. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I believe he actually saw her die. I can't imagine what he must have felt that day." His face took on a faraway expression. "I have to wonder if he ever considered just ending it all."

Shaking his head, he returned his attention to the present. "Savor each moment, Sarah. You never know what the future has in store for you." Carefully, he placed his hands on her shoulders, smiling reassuringly and drawing her into a gentle hug. "As for me and my own father, don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll be meeting him again soon. I actuyally have been in touch with him from time to time since my memory began coming back."

The smile was truly genuine now as he released her, as if he'd finally relieved himself of a heavy burden. "Thank you for listening, Sarah. I just needed someone to listen, to know what I know." He wiped a single tear from his eye, winking at her with the other one. "Hmm, must have some dust in my eye. Maybe I shouldn't have had the window down in the cab after all."

He smiled gratefully. "Yes, he certainly does seem to have changed. Especially from the kindly, benevolent man I knew as a child. The same day he lost myself and my brother, he lost our mother. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I believe he actually saw her die. I can't imagine what he must have felt that day." His face took on a faraway expression. "I have to wonder if he ever considered just ending it all."

Shaking his head, he returned his attention to the present. "Savor each moment, Sarah. You never know what the future has in store for you." Carefully, he placed his hands on her shoulders, smiling reassuringly and drawing her into a gentle hug. "As for me and my own father, don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll be meeting him again soon. I actuyally have been in touch with him from time to time since my memory began coming back."

The smile was truly genuine now as he released her, as if he'd finally relieved himself of a heavy burden. "Thank you for listening, Sarah. I just needed someone to listen, to know what I know." He wiped a single tear from his eye, winking at her with the other one. "Hmm, must have some dust in my eye. Maybe I shouldn't have had the window down in the cab after all."

She had never seen her friend in such a blissful state, the tears, those of joy could never be more welcoming and as Sarah received the hug, she hoped that he would never let go. "I'm so happy for you Anthony and I hope everything works out okay with you both, I really do." She touched his face gently and wiped the tears out of his eyes. "I'm just like you, we're equals, not important people, just people. So anytime you need someone to listen to, I'm here. I can always fit time into my schedule to listen to you. It is my honor as a friend to do that."

Sarah held back the tears, not wishing to cry in front of her guests and in front of Anthony, but while they stood their, she leaned over and quietly kissed him on the cheek. "You're a true gentleman, don't let anyone ever tell you differently. The future holds a lot for us both, I know it does, I can feel it." She took his hand in hers and pulled him back towards the parlor. "No c'mon, no more sad stories, we have a dinner to eat." She smiled a genuine smile as they reentered the room, both changed in their own way.

She had never seen her friend in such a blissful state, the tears, those of joy could never be more welcoming and as Sarah received the hug, she hoped that he would never let go. "I'm so happy for you Anthony and I hope everything works out okay with you both, I really do." She touched his face gently and wiped the tears out of his eyes. "I'm just like you, we're equals, not important people, just people. So anytime you need someone to listen to, I'm here. I can always fit time into my schedule to listen to you. It is my honor as a friend to do that."

Sarah held back the tears, not wishing to cry in front of her guests and in front of Anthony, but while they stood their, she leaned over and quietly kissed him on the cheek. "You're a true gentleman, don't let anyone ever tell you differently. The future holds a lot for us both, I know it does, I can feel it." She took his hand in hers and pulled him back towards the parlor. "No c'mon, no more sad stories, we have a dinner to eat." She smiled a genuine smile as they reentered the room, both changed in their own way.

When she kissed his cheek, he actually blushed mildly, but a moment later the blush was gone, leaving anyone who saw it wondering if they had imagined it. Meekly, he allowed her to take his hand, and followed her back into the parlor.