Broken Timbers

Sarah Tintagyl

OOC: Closed between me, Ranather, and Kaiser Martens

(IC)

Sarah paced back and forth across the parlor as the luscious smell of ham, stuffed cabbage, bratwurst and other various foods came from the kitchen to her left. She had just returned from Easter Mass at Brisbane Cathedral and was still waiting for the word that Mikhail had gotten her message about celebrating Easter as a family finally now that the war in Europe was over. To be honest, she was expecting a rather strange meeting of guests. Caroline hopefully, along with Mikhail if he had gotten her message. But also, she had a feeling that a few other acquaintances were going to show up as well and given the circumstances she wasn't totally sure if Larsa was going to approve. But then again, she couldn't be sure of anything, chance had a way of running her life.

Sitting down and trying to calm herself with a cup of tea, she leaned back in the chair and closed her eyes. For as fast as time was supposed to go, as Marten's had promised. Easter was going incredibility slow and the food wasn't even all ready prepared. Nevertheless she slowly began to calm down as a red cardinal bird sat outside the large glass window singing a sweet song. As she closed her eyes, she could feel herself slipping out of herself. Peace had finally returned to the world, though it felt uneasy. Most of the Hansa did not trust the Nordlandic Confederacy. Mainly because they didn't trust the Germans, but it was something that Sarah hoped that they would be able to solve down the road. If peace was to return, hate would need to be obliterated and that would be no easy task for she still had hate in her own heart. But the homily in Church had talked about that, about forgiveness and the human endeavor and the power that every person had in their hearts to be a good person. The ancient Kaiser had given her a gift and it would be a shame for her to use it without the drive to spread peace and tranquility in the world and this would start with in the walls of her own home.

Slowly she drifted into a sleep on the chair, with the aroma of ham circling around her.

Larsa knocked on the frame of the door and Caroline peeked slowly out from behind him. "It smells beautiful in here. Don't know if you've heard but there's word from Africa about Ranather's restoration of his Empire and something about a missile test near the Transvaal border. They went Nuclear recently so my guess is a missile shield of some sort. But listen to me ramble on. We're celebrating new peace not worrying about new dark clouds on the horizon.."

"Word also has it he is going to give you two a nice tract of land and an estate, you two are nobles there afterall. Probably a convienient easter gift too." Caroline piped in.

Sarah shot up from her seat after being awakened and turned to her husband and his sister-in-law who stood in the doorway. Holding her heart she breathed deeply from the surprise. "Oh, Larsa, Caroline. Its just you two. Yeah, the maids have been up for awhile cooking. I sent a letter to Mikhail after the war ended, but unfortunately I haven't heard back from him yet, but he promised me in Nordheim that he wouldn't miss this for the world." She turned away from her husband. "Neither would someone else." She said under her breath.

Getting up from the chair Sarah restored her balance and straightened out her dress. "I saw about the new Empire in the south, Sudenreich." She shook her head. "Every man must be an emperor in his own right I guess, though I don't really understand it personally. I had great hopes for the Commonwealth to be an great democratic country in Africa and though I know Lord Rukia means extremely well. I just don't know. Nuclear weapons give me the frights." Sarah smiled at Larsa's worried face. "But those dark clouds must be dealt with in order to have peace darling."

After Caroline had exclaimed her news as well Sarah's eyes widened. "You don't say? An estate? It would be a nice vacation home I'm sure. I always did want to see Africa for myself." She chuckled. "Noble, Caroline, I'll be honest, that was one title I never expected to hold."

Sarah shot up from her seat after being awakened and turned to her husband and his sister-in-law who stood in the doorway. Holding her heart she breathed deeply from the surprise. "Oh, Larsa, Caroline. Its just you two. Yeah, the maids have been up for awhile cooking. I sent a letter to Mikhail after the war ended, but unfortunately I haven't heard back from him yet, but he promised me in Nordheim that he wouldn't miss this for the world." She turned away from her husband. "Neither would someone else." She said under her breath.

Getting up from the chair Sarah restored her balance and straightened out her dress. "I saw about the new Empire in the south, Sudenreich." She shook her head. "Every man must be an emperor in his own right I guess, though I don't really understand it personally. I had great hopes for the Commonwealth to be an great democratic country in Africa and though I know Lord Rukia means extremely well. I just don't know. Nuclear weapons give me the frights." Sarah smiled at Larsa's worried face. "But those dark clouds must be dealt with in order to have peace darling."

After Caroline had exclaimed her news as well Sarah's eyes widened. "You don't say? An estate? It would be a nice vacation home I'm sure. I always did want to see Africa for myself." She chuckled. "Noble, Caroline, I'll be honest, that was one title I never expected to hold."

"You and Ranather share that fright. Though I admit building missiles to shoot one down right on their border might be a bit rash, but Ran's a bit of a showoff, so no surprises." Larsa poured himself a glass of wine.

"You're thinking...he....might show up. Aren't you?"

"You and Ranather share that fright. Though I admit building missiles to shoot one down right on their border might be a bit rash, but Ran's a bit of a showoff, so no surprises." Larsa poured himself a glass of wine.

"You're thinking...he....might show up. Aren't you?"

Sarah's eyes were clear at the moment, the ruby-red hidden behind fake contacts. "He was Mikhail's caretaker for how long. It would make sense...and I...well...there are other reasons besides Mikhail that he would show up for." She uncomfortably held her arm and looked down at the ground. Larsa's talk still hung strong in Sarah's heart and more than anything had been the comment as her as a 'monster'. "I know that you will be furious Larsa, but this could be an inevitable meeting. But it is Easter. We have to try to bury the hatchet and maybe we can free ourselves from a portion of our life that holds us down." She turned away knowing that she doubted her own words. "I don't mean to preach, I'm sorry. Just please if he does show up. Please, I know you are a civil man, a gentlemen and I would expect no less from you here. Do it for Mikhail's sake."

Sarah's eyes were clear at the moment, the ruby-red hidden behind fake contacts. "He was Mikhail's caretaker for how long. It would make sense...and I...well...there are other reasons besides Mikhail that he would show up for." She uncomfortably held her arm and looked down at the ground. Larsa's talk still hung strong in Sarah's heart and more than anything had been the comment as her as a 'monster'. "I know that you will be furious Larsa, but this could be an inevitable meeting. But it is Easter. We have to try to bury the hatchet and maybe we can free ourselves from a portion of our life that holds us down." She turned away knowing that she doubted her own words. "I don't mean to preach, I'm sorry. Just please if he does show up. Please, I know you are a civil man, a gentlemen and I would expect no less from you here. Do it for Mikhail's sake."

"His Chancellor slew my brother and I have a lot of hate in my heart for him, but we are both Nords. Him and I. For the sake of this family, if he shows up, I will be the Gentlemanly husband of the hostess. You have my word." Larsa said with a serious smile and small kiss as if sealing it.

A few knocks are heard against the entrance.

Martens and Mikhail had arrived, not in their usual outfits however, the younger one was dressed in an elegant gray business suit with a Týr Rune pin on it, he seemed no longer like a warrior or statesman but instead like a businessman, and he did look much younger as well, unlike in his previous appearances. The older one was dressed in a very white, impecable military suit, which had no rank distinctions and only an Odal Rune pin where one may expect medals to be. It was resembling of naval officers, although Nordheim had no navy, and it was definately not Martens' usual black style.

"...We come for the free food."

Martens and Mikhail had arrived, not in their usual outfits however, the younger one was dressed in an elegant gray business suit with a Týr Rune pin on it, he seemed no longer like a warrior or statesman but instead like a businessman, and he did look much younger as well, unlike in his previous appearances. The older one was dressed in a very white, impecable military suit, which had no rank distinctions and only an Odal Rune pin where one may expect medals to be. It was resembling of naval officers, although Nordheim had no navy, and it was definately not Martens' usual black style.

Larsa swallows hard and gives a 'wish me luck' glance over to Sarah before he moves to greet his guests.

"Mikhail...Martens. Welcome to our little abode. Very direct as usual. Yes, there is plenty of food and of course Alcohol. Wine, Beer, Mead, Ales of all kinds. Please, come in."

As soon as they had walked into the room, Sarah's face beamed of red blush. "Mikhail, it is an absolute pleasure, welcome, welcome to our home. I am glad to see that you both were able to make it. I hope the flight from Nordheim wasn't too long and the fact that you are still in good health from the war is even more joyful. These have been dark times for the entire world." Shifting her gaze from Mikhail to Martens, her eyes narrowed just a tad. "It is good to see you again as well Michel, though it only feels like yesterday since we last talked." Turning to Larsa, she smiled sweetly, seeing how hard he was trying and for the good job he was doing at it.

"Now that we're all pretty much here, gentlemen if you would follow me, Caroline, we can start dinner as soon as possible." Sarah led the party into the Dinning Hall, fashioned in the French style halls in Versailles, with historical pictures of the past ancient rulers of Europe hanging above: Catherine, Napoleon, Frederick. With the sun beginning to set in the distance, it filled the bright room with a fiery orange glow as the maids and butlers brought out scores of food along with bottles and bottles of white and red wines. As the table was filled and people had begun to serve themselves, Sarah called it upon herself to break the tension that was sure to build in the room. "It is fitting that we meet on a day like this. A true day for the beginning of an age of peace. We can finally come together as regular people instead of honored servants of the state."

Martens grins, and then chuckles, nodding respectfully. "'Ey. Good to finally meet you, and I am glad to hear that...!"

Mikhail steps forwards with a hand in his pocket. It was obvious that he had been around Martens so much, that he resembled him in the way he acted and even spoke. "Don't let him in....he'll make a dent in your budget with his thirst!"

"Sarah!" Mikhail says at once, then skips ahead towards her, to hug her. Now he seemed like a proper, young person instead of the usual burdened adult others had seen at Nordheim. "We won! At last! Do you know what that means? There won't be more war!" Said the naive Solidor.

Martens continued to walk, but more slowly, with a hand in his pocket, smiling pleased, for the time being not commenting. If Mikhail was too optimistic, perhaps Martens was too pesimistic, but for now, he just felt happy enough that he didn't care.

Edited by Kaiser Martens

Martens grins, and then chuckles, nodding respectfully. "'Ey. Good to finally meet you, and I am glad to hear that...!"

Mikhail steps forwards with a hand in his pocket. It was obvious that he had been around Martens so much, that he resembled him in the way he acted and even spoke. "Don't let him in....he'll make a dent in your budget with his thirst!"

"Sarah!" Mikhail says at once, then skips ahead towards her, to hug her. Now he seemed like a proper, young person instead of the usual burdened adult others had seen at Nordheim. "We won! At last! Do you know what that means? There won't be more war!" Said the naive Solidor.

Martens continued to walk, but more slowly, with a hand in his pocket, smiling pleased, for the time being not commenting. If Mikhail was too optimistic, perhaps Martens was too pesimistic, but for now, he just felt happy enough that he didn't care.

Larsa slid over to Martens, trying to make the best of a tense situation. "Young people, such optimism no? Much has happened since that day at Bastion." Larsa swallowed hard as he struggled to find his words. "I heard about Sarah at Niflheim. You could have stopped her, convinced her otherwise, but yet you went ahead. I won't try to judge or understand. I am sure it happened for it's reasons."

She grinned and hugged him tightly back. "For everything that I wish for every night that is always first." She looked away for a moment and frowned. "I lost many a good friend in that war and I wish what had befallen Slavorussia entirely would not have happened. Even more so, perhaps if war could have been avoided from the beginning. But I know that that is nothing more than a pipe dream for me. War is as human as eating and drinking." Turning back she smiled and laughed. "But such joy, you have such youth that I didn't see when I came to Nordheim. Its finally me who seems like the older one between us."

Larsa slid over to Martens, trying to make the best of a tense situation. "Young people, such optimism no? Much has happened since that day at Bastion." Larsa swallowed hard as he struggled to find his words. "I heard about Sarah at Niflheim. You could have stopped her, convinced her otherwise, but yet you went ahead. I won't try to judge or understand. I am sure it happened for it's reasons."

Turning from Mikhail only for a second she looked at Martens and Larsa and the uncertainty, the idea of monstrosity had come back into her mind. She waited for Mikhail to respond, while being extremely aware of what was being said so close to her.

"Ja...I could have...but this world is full of monsters...sometimes it is required to be a monster oneself in order to fight them...she is probably however the only one who due to this gift now has the strength to fight them, while remaining human regardless...it had to be done...she knew it."

Larsa nodded solemnly. He turned to Mikhail then back to Martens. "His mother is in the other room. He ought to be introduced, no?"

"I think he would definately like that. Maybe we should let them have their privacy though..."

Mikhail and Sarah seemed to be chatting among themselves, not noticing this conversation.

"Best not to rush these things, true. Whenever they're ready and the chance presents itself." Larsa was about to speak up again when all sensed another presence in the room. It was one of the scullery maids.

"I hope I am not intruding sirs and madames, but Milady Sarah. I have a message from the doorman. Lord Rukia hopes he is not unwelcome, he caught a quick flight here to deliver his Easter wishes and gifts in person."

"Best not to rush these things, true. Whenever they're ready and the chance presents itself." Larsa was about to speak up again when all sensed another presence in the room. It was one of the scullery maids.

"I hope I am not intruding sirs and madames, but Milady Sarah. I have a message from the doorman. Lord Rukia hopes he is not unwelcome, he caught a quick flight here to deliver his Easter wishes and gifts in person."

Sarah looked up from Mikhail at the maid. "Oh, of course. I think we would all be honored to have his Lordship's presence here." She stood up from her seat. "If he is already here, please bring him into the dinning hall."

A note was brought to the Lady, written in the elegant script of Lord De Luit:

"My Lady, if it is not overstepping the bounds of propriety, I would like to attend this gathering. There is much I would say to Michel Martens, and much I might be able to learn from their conversation. I shall understand if you require me elsewhere."

A note was brought to the Lady, written in the elegant script of Lord De Luit:

"My Lady, if it is not overstepping the bounds of propriety, I would like to attend this gathering. There is much I would say to Michel Martens, and much I might be able to learn from their conversation. I shall understand if you require me elsewhere."

Sarah turned to the messenger that had brought her the letter. "Please tell Lord De Luit that I would be more that happy to have his arrival at dinner. It is Easter after all. He should celebrate it with family."

About the time that the a gathering had begun, a small plane bearing the government markings of Promised Land would be touching down. No official call ahead was made, as the occupant wished. His mind wasn't sure if this was the right thing to be doing, so he ignored any such thoughts having to do with it.

He checked briefly at the government offices to obtain the likely whereabouts of Lady Tintagyl, but when asked, he said no, to please not inform her of his arrival.

Quietly, anonymously, he hired a cab driver to get to his destination. He stopped only a block away, got out, and payed the driver. Briefly staring after the car with an unreadable expression, he turned toward the mansion...

OOC: Yes, I asked Sarah before I posted this. Don't worry, I'll try to avoid unduly interfering with anything you might have planned for this thread. but i'm not exactly sure what the place lookes like, so that is Sarah's or Ran's cue...

OOC: Yeah, inactivity stinks, at least now I have a valid excuse :P

The servant hurried off and in next to no time at all, Ranather was brought in, albeit not alone. Clinging to the back of his left leg was a rather intimidated looking 4-yr old girl and at his side a beautiful Sandy-haired young woman.

Taking in the puzzled expressions, he chuckled. "I've been....busy, as you might well notice. Ah where are my manners? This is Cassandra, and she is a thief...she stole away my shell and melted this old Nord's frozen soul." the pair said with a smile.

"The girl, her name is Ysabel. God gave me a woman, and she gave me a girl. My second chance at a true family and I intend to make the most of it. So, how is everyone?"

Quietly, anonymously, he hired a cab driver to get to his destination. He stopped only a block away, got out, and payed the driver. Briefly staring after the car with an unreadable expression, he turned toward the mansion...

The house guard immediately remarked happily at the arrival of the Promised Land representative who was a frequent visitor to the Commonwealth and Her Ladyship's residence proper. "Evening sir." Said one of the guards at the gates. "There's quite the gathering inside, if you'd follow me I can take you inside." He then led the representative up the stairs into the Front Hall. "I believe they've retired to the parlor, Lord Rukia, Lord and Lady Solidor, plus Martens and that Nordheim head of state, ah and the Marchar Lord. It is quite the interesting group. But they're right in there." He said opening the door allowing the representative into the parlor.

The servant hurried off and in next to no time at all, Ranather was brought in, albeit not alone. Clinging to the back of his left leg was a rather intimidated looking 4-yr old girl and at his side a beautiful Sandy-haired young woman.

Taking in the puzzled expressions, he chuckled. "I've been....busy, as you might well notice. Ah where are my manners? This is Cassandra, and she is a thief...she stole away my shell and melted this old Nord's frozen soul." the pair said with a smile.

"The girl, her name is Ysabel. God gave me a woman, and she gave me a girl. My second chance at a true family and I intend to make the most of it. So, how is everyone?"

Sarah beamed at the entrance of the new Kaiser of Sudreich and she was even happier to see that he had brought a new addition to his entourage. "Oh Your Lordship it is a pleasure to see you again and under such divine conditions as these. A loving wife and daughter, positively amazing. Cassandra, welcome to the Hansa." Then Sarah got down to her knees to look into the eyes of Ysabel. "And you darling. What a beautiful girl. Oh this is quite the surprise Lord Ranather. Quite the pleasant surprise."