Government Reforms

Arkantos

A series of government reforms has been enacted in the Atlantian Federation, to change the government to a true Republic.

-No Welfare

-No Social Security

-No Government Interference in Economy

-No government healthcare

-Fair Tax Bill passed, rate set at 23%(subjet to change)

-Income Tax, Porperty Tax, etc. Abolished.

-Government type defined to be "a Constitutional Republic"

These are the major changes in Atlantian Government. Many minor changes were made, all to bring our government system under the definition of a Constitutional Republic.

Another, unrelated change:

Senators will again be elected by state legislatures.

Atlantian States:

Ohio

West Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania split by Congress)

Pennsylvania

West Virginia

Columbia (Statehood given to District of Columbia)

Vitginia

Maryland

Delaware

Your Esteemed Excellency,

Recently it has come to my attention of Atlantian political and economic reforms and I must say that you should proceed down this path with great caution and thought. It has long been my belief and the belief of many governments across the world that it is the state's duty to provide their citizens with safety and economic stability. Your reforms, which will surely begin the process of unbridled capitalism can be extremely dangerous if unchecked. Corporations unchecked by the government will continue to expand without regulation and business has no morals to the people that exist to lend them success. In words, business is a monster that without regulation may become uncontrolled as the laborers and workers are exploited from fair wages and work hours. In addition, without social welfare programs, such as welfare, social security, and health care, the people that live in the bottom of society and perhaps even those that lay in the middle will fill hopeless and away from the gracious hand of the state. People need these institutions to have healthy lifestyles into their old age and perchance that an unlucky string of events falls upon them, they will have nowhere to turn but to crime.

I hope that these reforms will cause your people to flourish, but be warned that they may also cause rebellion of the worst degree.

Sincerely,

Tomas Pons

Doctor of Philosophy, Brisbane University

They suck money out of the government, the same as Social Security, and welfare.

Ah, but that's not always the case. You see, the government should have a role into supporting the population, especially the poor, the homeless, or the disfranchised. Only through that can prosperity flourish as people can now have opportunities that they may never had before. That, and regulation helps to keep things in check, so that it doesn't go out of hand, so to say.

But it is your choice of what you do in your own nation. We certainly respect that, but we will watch this with interest.

Your Esteemed Excellency,

Recently it has come to my attention of Atlantian political and economic reforms and I must say that you should proceed down this path with great caution and thought. It has long been my belief and the belief of many governments across the world that it is the state's duty to provide their citizens with safety and economic stability. Your reforms, which will surely begin the process of unbridled capitalism can be extremely dangerous if unchecked. Corporations unchecked by the government will continue to expand without regulation and business has no morals to the people that exist to lend them success. In words, business is a monster that without regulation may become uncontrolled as the laborers and workers are exploited from fair wages and work hours. In addition, without social welfare programs, such as welfare, social security, and health care, the people that live in the bottom of society and perhaps even those that lay in the middle will fill hopeless and away from the gracious hand of the state. People need these institutions to have healthy lifestyles into their old age and perchance that an unlucky string of events falls upon them, they will have nowhere to turn but to crime.

I hope that these reforms will cause your people to flourish, but be warned that they may also cause rebellion of the worst degree.

Sincerely,

Tomas Pons

Doctor of Philosophy, Brisbane University

Dr. Pons, if this does indeed lead to a rebellion, we can declare martial law until order has been restored.

"A Minarchist, quasi-anarcho-capitalist nation can only succeed for eternity if its population is highly educated, very conscious of their actions and very wealthy themselves, with small gaps between classes. Else, it is bound to end up being ruled by an elite class that hoards nearly all of the society's wealth."

These are the policies of a nation moving towards non-government and an anarchist regime. While we applaud this motion, we must point out that you still have a government, and in a world like the one we're in, your nation is incapable of survival. With nations ever on-edge and eager for war, your nation will be a very easy target for anyone seeking to expand their territory in the Northeast. Plus, you will no doubt experience much internal turmoil as a result of your weakened governmental regime and lack of policies that will help your citizens to exist well within this world and live a good life.

Additionally, we must point out that what you describe is not a 'True Republic'. A true republic is exactly what the Union has in its government systems. Elected officials represent the people of the Union in Parliament, and these officials then elect a Prime Minister, who leads the Union as its head of state. Low taxes and near-anarchism is not a pillar or Republican government. The Union has 60% taxes, which pay for things such as Universal Healthcare and some of the largest Welfare and Public Transportation systems in the world, as well as one of the most powerful military forces in the all the world.

OOC: I think you need to review the OOC/IC line, my friend.

We see you have eliminated much of your spending. We assume, however, you will still regulate those private entities that will now be in charge of such matters?

They are subject to government inspection, but that is all. We insure their products are safe. If not, we send them back to them to allow them to make them safe.