I give up as being one!

Leslie Brant

For years, I walked alone and always alone. I always been peaceful, and I haven't been a war person. I just kind of stick out of the many wars for years, holding out. I wanted to be the little guy who can do it all by himself.

And so, after seeing my lands holding out the flag of peace for years, I risen a flag which says "I'm here with a tank or two!". And man, that was a bad idea. A real bad idea.

After a hour of rising said flag, a country who shall be nameless (for now) attacked me for no good reason! I was going to attack back but I saw a group behind him, and I give up. I hid again, but I knew I can't go back to peace now since some of my people were hurt. Plus my people will look down on me, thinking that I'm a coward!

After hours of talking to my board and looking at the options, there was only one that look good:

Joining an alliance, giving up our country's independence for the safety of my people.

Before I continue, I need to say this: I really don't want to do this. Yes, it will help me and others, but I like the whole "One Nation Standing Out". But after looking at history at great detail, standing out isn't a good idea. For an excellent example, the USSR.

The USSR believe in one thing: The best for the people. This worked for the longest time, and I must say: It did work. However, it fell on itself because of those in power. They started to care more for the power and not the people to the point that those power hogs did anything and everything to keep themselves in! And the people didn't like this, so they speak as loud as possible. And even with the screaming the people have done, the almighty powers didn't listen. So the powers tried to cut off their voice. And as everyone know, just taking away the voice for anything will make a man run towards you, just like the people have done. I don't think I need to finish my story, for we all know what happen next.

And this just didn't happen to the USSR. Germany, the Romans, and maybe the grand USA soon... And I can tell that is where my country may be going if I keep standing alone, not listening to everyone else. So I'm biting my tongue and going to take the bullet and do the thing I thought I'll never have to do: Join an Alliance.

However, I'm a nation that has been used to working alone. In other words, finding an Alliance will be tough. To help me cope with this, I going to ask the world at large for what I should work in one. No, I'm asking for an invite right now, I'm asking for help. What makes a good alliance? The counties which get along with each other? The things you get for joining an alliance? The back-up you'll get if you go to war? Like I said, I really don't know. So please, show me the things that make a great alliance so I find the help that my country needs that this despite hour.

Thank you for your time and patience,

Leslie Brant

PM of Pantsless Land

There are 3 things I look for in an alliance.

1) A community - I need an active and vibrant community that will both stimulate and entertain me. If an alliance isn't a community, or doesn't have enough active members in it, you will soon get bored. The fellow alliance members are probably the most important aspect of the game for me.

2) Loyalty - If you demonstrate your loyalty to the alliance, the alliance should demonstrate it's loyalty back. An alliance should value each and every member equally, and be just as willing to die for it's smallest nation as it is for it's leaders.

3) Free Speech - I have a right to express my beliefs on anything that people decide to bring to this public forum, and anything on the private forums of my alliance. If I maintain a level of respect towards those I'm disagreeing with I don't expect my alliance to ask me to be quiet, even if my views go against the majority.

If you can find those 3 things, I think you'll end up enjoying being in an alliance more than you did being alone.

Edited by Poyplemonkeys

I will tell you frankly, that what a lot of people say in this thread will probably be commonly accepted "good" traits of an alliance, I will tell you something different.

I tell you that what you want in an alliance, is what you want. There are some that give more freedom, there are some that give aid, there are some that give voice, and some that give other things. What you look for in an alliance is what you can identify with. It's like choosing a friend. Who do you like to "hang out" with? Is it someone similar? Someone different? Someone different but similar? Someone weird? you get the point.

My point is, I have been in many many alliances, some of which I helped create, and even then I was somewhat displeased with the results. The best idea is to start looking at charters, and instead of letting the alliance recruit you, recruit the alliance. That is, YOU be the choice maker.

I used to look for alliances of hard-working people, loyal people, people who didn't want or give aid because it gave them a name, but because they just wanted to. You? Well, that is for you to decide. If you like working by yourself, find an alliance that may let you do (mostly) your own thing. I don't know.

This is just my opinion, and, what do I know, I'm just an idiot on a computer somewhere. Hope it helped you make the right choice for you.

I would agree with the previous posters who said that the most important thing is community.

If you don't enjoy the company of your alliance mates, there's really no point to being in an alliance.

[ooc]You've played this game for a very long time and it's admirable that you've stuck it out for so long, but one of the best parts of the actualy "game" is learning various nation building techniques and discussing strategy. This can only be accomplished if you're willing to committ yourself to becoming a full and active member of an alliance. [/ooc]

I hope you find what you're looking for and consequently enjoy this game even more. :D

I would agree with everyone above and just try a few. perhaps browse the forums and see if any appeal to you.

The other things you need to consider are size and political standing. I wouldn't join a tiny alliance if you want to blend in into the crowd and not have responsibility. I wouldn't join Vox if you don't like war with NPO. I wouldn't join NPO if you don't like NPO. You gotta do some weeding out of where you want to be and how you want to be treated, then make the choice from the AA's that fit that.

I personally like small alliances and don't mind fighting on the rebellious (read: losing) side of wars. I spent a year in UPN though, which was big and generally went with the norm. You gotta experiment, and you may change your mind. Just make sure you can back out if and when you do.

EDIT: spelling

Also, by the way, you misspelled your nation name on the sidebar. go fix that.

Edited by SirDelirium

[OOC? I don't know, i talk about IRC, so i don't know if that is okay for an IC forum area... if this is considered OOC then i am very sorry:(]

Well, I don't have nearly as much experience as any of the people here, but i do have a few suggestions.

One of the biggest things I see as important in an alliance is the people. You need to be able to get along with them first of all. If you can't do that, then being in said alliance will probably be miserable.

"But LOXC, you stupid n00b, how will i know whether i get along with these people before I join???"

I don't know how much you've done on IRC as an unaligned nation, but if you have not done anything, well then here is a great opportunity for you.

If you DON'T know what IRC is, then here you go! Its like the forums combined with instant messaging and chat rooms. There are different "channels" that you post in and people read it and respond in real time. It's pretty cool. Just about every alliance has a channel or two you can look in to. By lurking around in these, reading what is said and whatnot, you can get to know the character of some alliances and maybe start to figure out what one you want to join.

I don't want to come off as recruiting, but if you DON'T have IRC already, and DON'T have access to an alliance forum telling you how to download and use it, then here you go: http://www.cn-athens.com/. Though the link on that page says join "us" on IRC, once you get onto IRC you can link to a million different channels. If you just ask i'm sure people will give you TONS of different alliances for you to look into.

Again, this is all just a suggestion.

[/probably OOC]

edit: or you could switch to red team, in which the NPO (one of if not THE most powerful alliances in the game) guarantees protection to all members regardless of whether or not they JOIN the NPO.

Edited by LOXC5991

I would like to think those who have give me some good advice. I'm still looking and it may take me awhile to find the right one since I seeing which would be the best plan for my people.

However, just deciding has a price: Someone else, who shall be nameless, bomb me AND attacked me! And to make it worst, most of my money has been looted by this new attacker! The old one, I'll call him the first wave, made peace with me right after the attacks! Honestly, I don't get war anymore. To me, it has become a hit and run - Or a better example, a bully who steals your chocolate bar and they pretend that this his never happened and they want to be your best mate.

I know now that these attacks won't stop until I have an alliance behind me or until I put up the chicken flag again, and we all know which is the only way to go. But I'm not going to choose an alliance aimlessly just because they may be some sort of alliance which everyone hates for good reasons. So I really need to put a lot of thought into this.

Until when I decide, I must survive.

Thanks,

Leslie Brant

PM of Pantsless land

OCC: For those who like this, I'm going to be guilty and honest: I'm not a hardcore RPer. The best I've ever done is roleplaying a cat the whole time on KoL, acting like a duck on UD for a few years and a LARP which I just got into. So this is my first real shot of doing RPing on a online game! Whoo.

Also, thanks to the person who mention that I've spelled my CN's nation name wrong on the side bar. It has been changed!

Edited by Leslie Brant

There are 3 things I look for in an alliance.

1) A community - I need an active and vibrant community that will both stimulate and entertain me. If an alliance isn't a community, or doesn't have enough active members in it, you will soon get bored. The fellow alliance members are probably the most important aspect of the game for me.

2) Loyalty - If you demonstrate your loyalty to the alliance, the alliance should demonstrate it's loyalty back. An alliance should value each and every member equally, and be just as willing to die for it's smallest nation as it is for it's leaders.

3) Free Speech - I have a right to express my beliefs on anything that people decide to bring to this public forum, and anything on the private forums of my alliance. If I maintain a level of respect towards those I'm disagreeing with I don't expect my alliance to ask me to be quiet, even if my views go against the majority.

If you can find those 3 things, I think you'll end up enjoying being in an alliance more than you did being alone.

This. This is what keeps an alliance together, and what makes it great. Many alliances start this way and over time stagnate and lose most if not all of these ideas, free speech usually being the first. I would advocate going somewhere based on what you want to do with your nation. If you want to make a difference in the world, you could join Vox, if you just want peace, maybe GPA is your best choice. There are many different alliances with many different ideals and structures, you may have to move around a little before you find one that appeals to you.

In my opinion joining an alliance depends on what you want. In our alliance we have nations who never go on our forums, never go on chat, and I only hear from when I PM them to see if they are OK and if they need anything. They generally just want to be left alone, however, they know if they do that, they loose a voice in the direction the alliance goes. We also have extremely active members. When I joined, I was looking for friendly people, who could help me grow my nation, I am pleased to say I found it and more.

I also agree with the poster that freedom of speech is necessary in an alliance. During our past election cycle, some of our members put up a counter poll to see how the High Council candidates would do against the "dream Team" of Barack Obama, Kim Jong Il, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I am sad to say that while we won the "real" election, we lost the alternate one. Our members also post all kinds of questionable content, and so far we have only had to remove one post for offensive material. Being able to speak your mind, even if it goes against the majority in the alliance should be a protected.

You should also look at the charters for military matters. Do you want an alliance that allows Nuclear First Strikes, or one that forbids them. I assume one hot button issue for you would be whether or not an alliance allows tech raids.

If you can't find an alliance, or until you do find one, I would suggest you either change to RED, or get used to the raids.

If you can't find an alliance, or until you do find one, I would suggest you either change to RED, or get used to the raids.

I personally agree with this. Being on the Red team the NPO will protect you (and if anyone attacks you, just go on the NPO forums, tell them about it, and the problem is... let's just say... "removed.").

I personally find nothing wrong with the "chicken flag" as you call it, then again, I was in alliances for over 2 years of playing CN and I have had my fun and just want to do my own thing from time to time and that "flag" allows me to do so.

If I was still a large enough nation, I would send you $3 million tonight, but sadly, I am not, and I have barely enough money to keep myself afloat, so, sorry that I cannot assist you in any way except advice.

Mr Brant,

The guy raiding you is in for a suprise.

Accept your foreign Aid.

You have 3,000,000 cash

50 Technology

2000 soldiers

You can likely ZI the guy raiding you given your and his size :P

Edit - post some battle reports if you start smacking him down :) ...I should do this more often.

Edited by Paradigm

its simple - I can tell you after 3 years through various alliances its all about your fellow comrades. And you may go through a few till you find the right one.

That's what it's all about. If you don't like your alliances mates, don't be in that alliance.

And joining and alliance has nothing to do with losing your independence. If their ideals don't match your own, leave. No one can force you to do anything.

First of all, I would like to address this war.Your going to win this one that much is cetain. :popcorn: I personally will be watching from a safe distance.

Secondly, to those nation that have helped him in his ventures.Thank you, you have shown support to an unalligned nation without hesitation.It is a very admirable thing to do.

Lastly,I wish you the best in finding a suitable alliance.In my opinion a smaller alliance with a high volume forum would suit you just fine.

Hello again. Before I go on, I must say: Wow, there is people out there who care! And I'm not lying, really! After I made my second message to the world, three people have sent out huge aids to me and all of them were three million! THREE! I'm really shocked about this since just a day or two ago, I was being hit for no reason and now.... Wow, just wow. Thanks to the nations of wurmscape, Cantina and RedSox Nation who is ruled by wurm2112, Paradigm and LOXC5991. I don't know how I can repay any of you for the donations, but thanks. I'll always remember you when I help another country in need, which I will indeed start doing when I find an alliance and when I have the resources to help out another nation in need.

As for the war front, I'm getting ready to strike the second nation who strike me with missiles and close combat. As I said in the last message, the first guy made peace with me and I rather not stir more trouble then I should right now - I'm pretty sure countless countries are looking at me right now. I may not attack yet and wait until my army power is at the same level as his/her or higher, which I think it has already. And when he/she will call his alliance to attack me or not - There's only seven nations in his alliance - is still a possibility. But if it does happens, I'll be able to fight back in a way that I thought wasn't possible.

As for looking for an alliance, I have been doing my homework. Searching the internet and looking up past nation's history can tell alot about an alliance and how they will treat you in the end. I'm also talking back to my advisers and minsters about which one I should go with. Soon I'll sent out messages to the alliances I'm interested in and I will ask them all a few questions to see if they truly fit my need.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has been giving me feedback - All positive, mind you. While I do know my nation has been around for awhile and I really haven't been connected to the community of the world in general, I now feel really guilty for not doing so earlier. Yes, there is a bad few grapes in the pile, but that doesn't mean the rest are bad. And also, thank you once again for helping me for everything that I have asked for help on. And I can tell you right away that this won't be my last message for I still need to let you all know how will this war end and what alliance I'll be choosing. I won't let any of you left hanging on what's happening to me since you all have help me and I think it's important to see this until the end.

Until then, I have some big decisions.

Leslie Brant

PM of Pantsless Land

This is a quick message: The guy attacked me first. He sent me missiles and he even bomb me, which wasn't a whole lot of damage. Then he did his ground attack and.... Well, He lost more soliders and tanks then me, which gave me the victory. Soon after, he sent me a peace offer....

Right now, I'm kind of laughing. He attacked me first, and after one failed attacked - He ran off. This reminds me of a bully who realizes the person he bullied have stand up and fought back in self defense. I'll probably attack him once just to see how he reacts then I'll give him a peace offer. Like I said in my last message, I really don't know if he'll call his alliance on me, so I don't want to go all out - Just a warning attack, if anything UNLESS you guys have suggestions.

Leslie Brant

PM of Pantsless Land

PS: Guess what? After this writig this message, I got this from someone else in the alliance:

"Declare peace now with ****. We are repremanding him for this war. If you don't accept this we will be forced to use **** nations against you. So for the betterment of all accept the offer."

I guess I was right. I really need advice now.

Edited by Leslie Brant

Well - as much as I would like to suggest ignoring the PM and let them learn the lesson its likely not worth it. Let them off and spend your money on building your nation.

This. I'd say spend the money on infrastructure (increasing population and collected taxes) while saving some money in case you get in another war.