Ulster Unity Conference

Margrave

*Saint Anne's Cathedral, Belfast*

The old Cathedral was crowded as the representatives of various factions shouted, spoke, argued and harangued one another. In one pew sat both the Irish Royal Army; it's backers, chiefly based out of Donegal, supported the creation of a new Irish State, ruled by a King or a Chieftain. Some said that they had found a descendant of the ancient Ulster Kings, but it was rumor and hearsay...as much surrounding the organization was. They were the core of the resistance forces, being the best armed and the most numerous. Although it hadn't been confirmed, some seemed to believe that absolute war to take the whole of Ireland back was the best path, quietly discussing bombings and other insurgent tactics they could use against the Southern Occupation Government. With them sat the official representatives of Donegal, as well as a lone Council-member from Cavan who had snuck past the Invading Forces, still holding his rifle in his hands.

On a pew on the opposite side of the chapel sat the Ulster Confederation; made up a confederation of different Ulster Loyalist Forces. Chief of these was the Ulster Volunteer Defense Force, men and women from Tyrone who backed the ideas of a republican or democratic government. While their leaders were chiefly Townsmen and workers, several of them were priests, thinkers and speakers.

Finally, a vote was called, and the eldest representatives took took to a hastily constructed stage. Miss Mab, a rather famous character in these parts, called the meeting to order and had her boys (she had quite a large family) bar the doors and keep order.

"Gentlefolk, Irishmen, Ulstermen, what have you...Get your selves in line! Arguing amongst yourselves like babes while an army invades our territory. Right, all of the designated representatives will select ONE person to speak for them, and we will manage this discussion like civilized folk. And remember who the enemy is, children! It's those who would take all of our freedoms!"

With that, the meeting formally got underway as delegates began to speak.

OOC: No one outside of Ulster knows of this meeting except Tahoe and LVN. You can rp speakers though, but you can't dismiss the meeting, kill off people...do stupid things like that. K? k.

Edited by Margrave

OOC: For a change of pace...

IC: One young lad spoke up above the hubbub. "I want to know what the bloody hell we are doing standing here, when we could be out there, fighting for our land, our families, and our liberty. We have as much right to rule ourselves as any other, and for someone to stand in our way is pure tyranny, which I, for one, thought we had escaped."

A young, serious looking man rose from the seats of the IRA, stood up to answer the lad and address the assembly.

"I think it should be obvious why we are here; there are too many who would claim leadership! We must unite in our struggle under one leader! A Chieftain, a man of strength and power, to unite the Counties against the invading forces, and to one day lead us to take back all of Ireland! Let this meeting be the moot by which we select our king! I say O'Bannon, O'bannon King of Eire!" The IRA assembly stood up, and roared at each other with many voices; declarations of Kingship and of following the old way. Commander O'Bannon, the one suggested for such honor, stood and silenced them. An older man, he'd served as a fighter in Europe, usually against Communist forces. His eye-patch spoke of an argument he had with an enemy assassin, and lived to speak of it. Motioning for them to be silent, he spoke before the assembly.

"Let me clear the air here; I am not, nor will I ever become, an Irish King. I lead this force by right of popularity and by love of my country, but I do not kid myself; I am not King. Yet hear me; this council must come swiftly to a decision, so that we might meet this enemy on the battlefield unified."

He shook his head, pointing into the crowd. "Make no mistake; these people who hold the territories of our Ireland are our enemies. They do not belong to this place; we are proof that the Isle itself rejects them. Let us become strong and take for ourselves our position in this world."

The young man snorted. "Well then old man, lead us to glory, death, and victory if you so wish, but I'll tell you something. These 'enemies' of ours. Are they not men of Eire also? Is it their fault that they have been misled? I say not. If we are truly going to rise up against the 'established' power, we must have all the people on our side. There is no honour in slaying your own brother, for any reason."

*Belfast*

The debates had raged throughout the week; Irish tempers flaring against one another. One particular voice had been Colleen D'Ath, a young woman of mixed heritage, her mixed English/Irish blood rather evident in her accent and her carriage. It seemed that, in Belfast and the surrounding territories, a great many learned men and wild young boys had run off to see this conference...forgetting to invite nearly any women. Thus, fights, brawls, and long, pointless arguments had beset the conference at every turn, Colleen's arrival at the head of a band of armed women startling the conference. Calling themselves Scáthach's daughters, they were women of the Wild, warriors who had left the way of hearth and home and joined the fight for Ulster-land, the fight for freedom. Beautiful they were, if not great in number, the whole of them numbering thirty-seven or so (though the war-band itself encompassed perhaps a hundred women, they were spread across the North, raiding the Invader's convoys with rifle-fire and explosives). They spoke loudly and fiercely against all people, both the Ulster Volunteers and the Royalists, announcing their way would differ from both.

Madness continued in the Conference, until Mab got up to speak. "Alright, hush yaselves. I present the Honorable Representatives of the other great Celtic powers, GA and Republic of Tahoe. We would hear yer words, sirs, and your advice to us as we form our government."

OOC: What the heck accent is that, southern black? :P

The Consul stood. "The position of Tahoe is simple. We fought for a free and undivided Ireland for 800 years. Ireland will not be undivided, not now, not ever. Many of your concerns, your desires, your dreams....many of those are legitimate. They will not be resolved in a separate nation. They must be resolved in a democratic and united Ireland. We will support any effort for a peaceful solution to that effect. There will be no toleration of a violent civil war pitching Irish against Irish."

OOC: What the heck accent is that, southern black? :P

The Consul stood. "The position of Tahoe is simple. We fought for a free and undivided Ireland for 800 years. Ireland will not be undivided, not now, not ever. Many of your concerns, your desires, your dreams....many of those are legitimate. They will not be resolved in a separate nation. They must be resolved in a democratic and united Ireland. We will support any effort for a peaceful solution to that effect. There will be no toleration of a violent civil war pitching Irish against Irish."

OOC Okay, you try to write an effective Irish accent.

I just got off work (poor pitiful me) so I'll post tommorow

Aoife Sitrig smirked at the sophism of the Consul.

"Stop acting the maggot, amadán. That banjaxed though of a "unified" Eire under that bucklepper in Taeunas would only come to cubs. Get out of here, ya feckin' jackeen."

She then turned to the rest.

"Wellboys! I hope ye all give out against tis' geebag, and not be loodars! For Ulster!"

A massive round of clapping erupted, showing what the overall sentiment about unification was.

OOC: Hiberno-English is interesting.

Edited by Sumeragi

Many gathered in the hall celebrated and cheered at the call, echoing her name as they saluted her bravery.

As the crowd settled into discussions of what would come next, the doors of the church opened, revealing a band of men wearing battle gear of simple origins. Slung rifles, pistols, and ammunition they carried across their bodies, each man bearing an armband on his right arm, bearing the mark of their association. These men, famous for their fights against the southern invaders, took their names from the ancient Order which once had protected Ulster against its foes: The Red Branch. These men, hunters and seekers after glory, had been the primary cause for worry for Taeunas when they broke the southern border of old Dun Carrig; twenty of their order had died, killing many more of theirs. The Red Branch now stood at the strength of seventy well trained fighting men, men used to the wilds and scavenging. So impressed by their prowess, the Irish Royal Army and the Ulster Volunteers had offered each of these men positions in their ranks, settling for a treaty of friendship between their associations when the Red Branch refused.

At the head of this war-band stood a man with flaming red hair, wearing leather and cloth gear, the Red Branch painted on his shoulder-pads and upon his face. His blue eyes burned with fervor as his gathering took to the center stage, impressing both the various "Military" and civilian organizations of the Six Counties. This man was the hunter and fighter known simply as Titus, whose parentage and history was unknown. He spoke with the lightest of Ulster-Scot in his voice, the main influence obviously of some English origin. Raising his hands, he calmed the crowd, and called for their attentions as he spoke.

"I am Titus of the Red Branch! Perhaps you have heard of me, and my band of warriors; loyal, holy men, servants of their mother Ulster! With our blood we have defended the land from the southerners who would give us the "Unity Of Ireland" who have endorsed the pretense that Ulster is not a sovereign country, and that the people of Ulster are not a sovereign people! We shall not stand for this; we loyal men of Ulster, do declare a Solemn League and Covenant, proposing that the men and women of Ulster so gathered in this place shall associate themselves together; for better or worse, to oppose their treacherous ways, and when we have won our freedom, to reward our works with the peaceful rule of the local government. Let our war-bands agree to this Covenant, and fight under one flag; let our politicians agree to this government, and form for the Ulster-men a ruling body to protect good men from lawless ones, and represent the people among the nations. Now, let every war-band send its leader forth to speak, and let this fellowship of Ulster-men declare a Leader for the forces of Ulster, and let every man stand to declare a Leader for our government, what body will best rule the land. Give us the Unity of Ulster, brothers and sisters, and the Red Branch shall give you glory!"