$One Billion startup

Really I think $1 mill is fine. With $2 mill we'd all be nuclear by day two, which means either nobody would dare war or most nations would be ZI in no time defeating the purpose of a big start-up, possibly leaving a clear winner 2 weeks into the round. The bigger the start-up, the lesser the skill required I think. There are loads of different agenda's in TE and $1mill + the reduced costs of stuff + the 50% extra collection seems to balance it nicely so that those who want to build get a chance and those who want to kamikaze get to do that too, without taking everyone out with them.

1 Million is fine, after all if everyone got to much at start-up then there would be people just declare wars everywhere, not to mention all the raiding.

This thread was made prior to the recent rounds where we all started to get the hang of the reduced prices, have to keep that in mind.

Now, I still think it'd be fun to introduce a little anarchy into TE and make some random stats. Maybe give nations a random number of infra, tech, land and cash upon startup?

Between 0-100 infra on start, 0-50 tech, 0-200 miles of land (why not?) and 500k-2mil in cash. It's a game, and having a little luck to become number one would be nice for once, instead of having a handful of good nation builders always hitting the top, give them some challenge if they get the low end of the stick compared to other guys.

This thread was made prior to the recent rounds where we all started to get the hang of the reduced prices, have to keep that in mind.

Now, I still think it'd be fun to introduce a little anarchy into TE and make some random stats. Maybe give nations a random number of infra, tech, land and cash upon startup?

Between 0-100 infra on start, 0-50 tech, 0-200 miles of land (why not?) and 500k-2mil in cash. It's a game, and having a little luck to become number one would be nice for once, instead of having a handful of good nation builders always hitting the top, give them some challenge if they get the low end of the stick compared to other guys.

Reasons:

- Skill has nothing to do with being given an advantage over others

- The learning process is how they got to where they are, so why make it harder/easier for them. Teachers don't give some students the answers just because they are falling behind in the exam.

- It just takes the Strategy out of strategy games.

Overall I just don't like that idea, I like it the way it is a strategy game not a game of luck.

Plus, if you have that, "good" players will try to re-roll till they get super startup stats.

I do like a couple suggestions I heard though. The first being that you could start with one free wonder (reminds me of how in Sins of a Solar Empire you start with one free capitol ship XD). That would be an interesting way to speed things along, although most would want the big military wonders. The other I though was good was having specials for certain holidays. I'm not sure what they meant exactly, but I thought it would be cool if say, on Christmas every nation in TE got a free 1mil or something like that.

just a thought.

why not do 5 million with one free wonder?

you would get a limit of 1 free wonder, all successive wonders would have to be paid for (and earned).

for the free wonder it would be players choice on what they want. a free wonder would kinda jump start things abit. there would be a set limit on how much the free wonder could impact NS. My money says most people would either choose a Pentagon, Manhatten Project or SDI system. the 1 free wonder would be exactly like normal wonders. and the free wonder couldn't be destroyed or swapped.

Why would you need a free wonder if you start with $5mil...just buy one!