CNRP Tech scale

LeVentNoir

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

We don't generally recognize Mechas because not only they'd be real complex in order to make them half-efficient in battle (no, that $25,000 crap wouldn't be any good for any practical purposes), we'd be turning this into !@#$@#$ Gundam or Code Geass. No need to make CNRP into a robot anime.

Right given that you only need 1500 tech or so to get 2010, what kind of bonus do I get from my other 2500 tech?

Roleplay it as extra GDP & faster research times. with 2500 extra tech your factories would be more efficient and productive and you would have genius scientists who could rush ideas from concept to prototype to production model in a couple of weeks.

For GDP count every surplus 1000 tech over the cap as an additional 25% bonus to GDP.

And research time could be cut in half for every additional 1000 tech over the cap.

We don't generally recognize Mechas because not only they'd be real complex in order to make them half-efficient in battle (no, that $25,000 crap wouldn't be any good for any practical purposes), we'd be turning this into !@#$@#$ Gundam or Code Geass. No need to make CNRP into a robot anime.

But they aren't stupid anime mechs, they would be much simpler, no humanoid head, no super death guns, not fifty stories tall (not even fifty feet). I'm talking something along the lines of 18 foot height, armored of or less than a tank, the only upside being the increased mobility in urban areas, and the sheer fear factor of it.

Also, on cost, considering an M1A2 Abrams costs 4 million USD to make, and the crappy mechas people build themselves are costing about 25,000 USD, a better version wouldn't be an absurd price tag after development, especially when you can mass produce the specialized parts, and get your other materials without a price mark up.

Roleplay it as extra GDP & faster research times. with 2500 extra tech your factories would be more efficient and productive and you would have genius scientists who could rush ideas from concept to prototype to production model in a couple of weeks.

For GDP count every surplus 1000 tech over the cap as an additional 25% bonus to GDP.

And research time could be cut in half for every additional 1000 tech over the cap.

Right, so I am a 2.7 trillion GDP nation with 25% research times. Cool. So I can make and afford lots of cool, not so advanced stuff. However, with no restrictions on research times / GDP anyway, this has NO EFFECT!

The whole walker thing is possible. It is quite; probebly feasable too. It wouldn't be as fast as a tank (would be a perfect target for anything explosive, especially when knocked down; unless there are 4 legs in correct positions), yet could put both fear in enemy soilders and go over certain obsticals.

There was also a guy who made a huge, 8-legged walker. But it was damn heavy & slow from the steel, and no improvment over a tank (he was a rich engineer or something...).

I don't think the walker would be a major improvment; unless you found a way to make them cheap & for a man to fit inside (for infantry).

I agree with LVN. A lower tech scale would actually let people deal with more what is known and less with what is hypothetical.

I agree, but I do have a question. What will happen to the CNRP Space Station after this new tech scale gets added in?

I think that Canada's tech is sufficient enough that it may just still be there despite a scale change. He should still be able to have a space program.

^^this. Besides, it wasn't just one nation that contributed to it. Nations from across the globe helped.

Yes but for large nations the new tech scale will have absolutely zero effect. while being absolutely devastating for smaller nations.

Large nation drops from 2020 to 2010

Small nation drops from 2000 to 1945

Actually, I would drop from 2023 to 1993. Yes, it would be a drop, but people would have to learn to Rp better, and accept, no not everybody can have stealth, and some people will have to rely on knowledge of what they are talking about instead of going tech tech tech.

Drop your tech to 2010 and keep the old scale. this will make for a more level playing field.

You will have an advantage but not a world shattering one. Your massive amounts of infra and large army should be enough of an advantage.

Role-playing is a game where all the players are supposed to have fun and lets face it RPing curbstomps is boring.

Far more interesting role-play wars can be had with two sides of approximately equal power than with one side being vastly superior and having easy victory after easy victory.

If you change this rule you will probably end up with a few high level players actually playing CNRP and everyone else either getting eliminated or getting bored and leaving.

What can a 1945 level tech nation actually do to fight a modern army besides turtleing and waiting for them to go away?

Drop your tech to 2010 and keep the old scale. this will make for a more level playing field.

You will have an advantage but not a world shattering one. Your massive amounts of infra and large army should be enough of an advantage.

Role-playing is a game where all the players are supposed to have fun and lets face it RPing curbstomps is boring.

Far more interesting role-play wars can be had with two sides of approximately equal power than with one side being vastly superior and having easy victory after easy victory.

If you change this rule you will probably end up with a few high level players actually playing CNRP and everyone else either getting eliminated or getting bored and leaving.

What can a 1945 level tech nation actually do to fight a modern army besides turtleing and waiting for them to go away?

No thank you. I have an advantage over them, and I would like to retain it. year 2010 tech is a mere 1436 tech IG. Why should I be on equal tech levels with someone who has about 1/3rd my IG tech?

I think that Canada's tech is sufficient enough that it may just still be there despite a scale change. He should still be able to have a space program.

Not to mention his program was assisted by nations worldwide (some even having higher tech than himself), so yeah, just reinforcing your point. It doesn't really influence the RP at large, so there really isn't a problem with it.

Not to mention his program was assisted by nations worldwide (some even having higher tech than himself), so yeah, just reinforcing your point. It doesn't really influence the RP at large, so there really isn't a problem with it.

I do believe that I never was "outclassed" that much by tech of other people, aside from you, V. Of course I may be forgetting a nation that had 4k+ tech and was participating, but at those levels, it's only 2-5 years of advancement.

Regardless of that, the elevator would be feasible even today, if people just could do it for Science and not look at the profits. The only hard thing would be the proper cables, but those I did RP (though not too detailed, but they're mostly useless in other applications in this form. They're made to survive pulling stresses, etc).

Now, regarding the tech-scale...I dunno. I for one would like to have 2k10 tech or so, so I could just take germany's current arsenal, or Canada's or whatever.

On the other hand, I like some of my fancy weapons (which are not always optimal), so I'm kinda neutral. People just need more common sense and should back up disputed things with sources and not just say "Physics!" or "Biology!", etc.

Edit: And in the cases where nobody is really sure if it's possible, it's GM-time.

Edited by Lynneth

Actually, I would drop from 2023 to 1993. Yes, it would be a drop, but people would have to learn to Rp better, and accept, no not everybody can have stealth, and some people will have to rely on knowledge of what they are talking about instead of going tech tech tech.

And please tell me...who will have the advantage then? Those who possess this knowledge, or know where to go to research it. Everyone else will be left out in the cold through no fault of their own.

And please tell me...who will have the advantage then? Those who possess this knowledge, or know where to go to research it. Everyone else will be left out in the cold through no fault of their own.

And now I'm back in the thread because an opening that was too juicy to ignore presented itself. Wikipedia is your best friend. Ever. I know absolutely nothing about the workings of physics, and I know even less about modern military equipment. But a quick ole search on wikipedia, or even google, will tell you everything you've ever needed to know. I should know, Ive been doing it for Neo Japan this entire time

Just making a point; I still highly oppose this tech proposal

See a lot of people complain about the current tech scale for one real reason. It means they cna have little fun due to it. What do I mean by that. Well lets say I am a little dinky 1960 tech nation and oh no some 2010 tech scale nation decides to invade me. Thee isn't a chance in hell of me defeating that nation's forces. I mean Il have some jet MIG's and he will have advanced F-22's with neural links (Just one example). On the ground his tanks can just laugh at my attempts to punch through his armour whilst he blasts me from 10,000 Kilometers away with railguns (obiviouslly exagarrated the distance there) and god forbid I try to spark up some sort of resistance movement and crash, bang, wallop I find my nation over run with cops and soldiers and thus my rp fails and I have nothing to do. Yea not so fun anymore.

But here's the main point that I think is wrong with the RP currently.

The realism...

Now shush before you start shouting at me I am not talking about bills, GDP, times and research etc... What I mean is political realism.

Lets take some examples:

RL example: Russia invades Georgia. America and Europe back Georgia and do their best politicaly to make Russia back down. America provides transport for Georgian troops to fly back home. Russia makes its point and backs down from international pressure. Both sides continue to watch each other closely.

CNRP example: Russia invades Georgia. America and Europe send a comment about how they sort of disapprove about it but place no pressure on Russia. Russia steamrolls in occupies Georgia. Nobody really cares and everyone goes on with their lives minus the Georgians.

Or

Other CNRP example: Russia invades Georgia. America and Europe declare on Russia due to MDP. China declares on Europe/America due to MDP with Russia. World War breaks out. Massive fighting, huge numbers of troops and materials used. Massive devastation. One side wins and destroys the other or forces them to surrender. One or two weeks later everyone has recovered and its all back to normal.

So there you have it which of the three examples would make more sense and be better RP wise I say the RL example you might disagree with me. We need to seriousally take a look at how we are doing this RP and see what can be done.

And now I'm back in the thread because an opening that was too juicy to ignore presented itself. Wikipedia is your best friend. Ever. I know absolutely nothing about the workings of physics, and I know even less about modern military equipment. But a quick ole search on wikipedia, or even google, will tell you everything you've ever needed to know. I should know, Ive been doing it for Neo Japan this entire time

Just making a point; I still highly oppose this tech proposal

Yes, i've used that myself...but forgive me if I don't take Wikipedia articles with a few metric tons of salt unless I see enough cited sources--as anyone can come and edit it at any time.

Yes, i've used that myself...but forgive me if I don't take Wikipedia articles with a few metric tons of salt unless I see enough cited sources--as anyone can come and edit it at any time.

Yep, I like to see sources from reputable peer reviewed journals. And not just Wikipedia, a journal written by world respected experts and reviewed by a panel of experts will carry a lot more weight than something that anyone (even people who know nothing or worse want to spread false information) can edit.

Academic creditability is what you should be looking for when looking for a source, not something some anonymous person wrote on the internet.

These are the things I look for in a source.

1: Can the source be independently accessed? (An unverifiable citation is as useless and no citation at all)

2: Is the source associated with a university or a major R&D lab? (large institutions carefully verify all publications)

3: is the source unbiased? (Is it propaganda?)

4: Does the source cite previous research? (The vast majority of research builds on previous research, it is only on the rarest of occasions that a researcher makes a discovery "out of the blue", and then they will have experimental data and independent verification of that data as proof)

So you guys want this game to become so complicated that only self-important, pseudo-intelligent college students can use it?

This !@#$%^&* that we call CNRP isn't even CNRP. It's just a place for people with knowledge and in-game power to showcase their own.

Oh, and I'm not going to know anymore about 1945 tech than I do about 2002 tech. Plain and simple. Think about it, 13 year olds could be playing this game, and you guys want to introduce a setting where they have to research all their !@#$? If you think that, you're a heartless dick. You're ruining this game, and you should leave.