Transvaal World Cup III - Pool Draw

Botha

Which Pool is the Pool of Death?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

POOL 'A' - all matches played at Staatspresident Botha Stadium in Pretoria

Transvaal

Cainian Empire

Costa Libertad

Dun Carrig

Franzharia

Killallippies

Prince Edward Island

Sarnungian Republic

The Cheeselands

Viniland

Voobaha

POOL 'B' - Jake Felan Memorial Stadium in Johannesburg

Arctica

Azerbaijani Republic

Checors

Jutopia Land

Mac Land

MLW worldwide

Neo Japan

Sooners

Tahoe

UDCR

Uralica

POOL 'C' - Vrystaat Stadium in Bloemfontien

Arcadian Empire

Asgard

Delta Omega

Deutschland

Irlande

J Andres

Kelton

Quadonia

Valhala

VolNation

Zelderex

POOL 'D' - Unification Stadium - Kaapstad (Cape Town)

Articuno Islands

Avinyon

Cataduanes

CaVala

Children of Odin

Dragonia

Kevodia

Magna Roma

Melloria

Tritonia

Windhoek Welwitschia (X11)

Edited by Botha

Just to clarify something, what do we get to do before each game is simulated?

No, unfortunately once the tournament is set-up in FIFA2005 (which I use to auto-sim the matches), I am unable to alter or modify any strategies, etc. You go with the default settings for the team which has been assigned (secretly) for you.

The old torunament platfom (FIFA2002) used to let me modify team formations, strategy, attack/defense mentality, etc. but I can no longer run 2002 - and 2005 won't let me do any of that in tournament modes.

I'll be posting scores during the preliminary round and then game reports similar to what has been done with the pre-tournament friendlies. You are welcome to flesh out the details to those as you fit.

No, unfortunately once the tournament is set-up in FIFA2005 (which I use to auto-sim the matches), I am unable to alter or modify any strategies, etc. You go with the default settings for the team which has been assigned (secretly) for you.

The old torunament platfom (FIFA2002) used to let me modify team formations, strategy, attack/defense mentality, etc. but I can no longer run 2002 - and 2005 won't let me do any of that in tournament modes.

I'll be posting scores during the preliminary round and then game reports similar to what has been done with the pre-tournament friendlies. You are welcome to flesh out the details to those as you fit.

Oh, that sucks. :(

Do any of the newer versions contain better flexibility as far as tournament set up go, (or can you run a newer version?)

Great...same pool as VolNation.

...and Deutschland.

Yeah I personally think Pool C is going to be the toughest, followed by Pool A while Pool D will be the unpredictable crapshoot pool. Children of Odin I think will win the pool but the rest of it is wide open.

One thing is for sure: this will be the tighest and most difficult to predict TWC yet. I'll be doing up the tournament rankings and predictions tonight hopefully.

I would have no idea as I don't have a PC-DVD so I cannot run anything newer than FIFA2005.

It does, I have FIFA2009 and it has an entire menu for auto simulation, even allows the computer to simulate smart substitutions (if the person has a yellow or is particularly tired, or if an extra forward is needed) not just if they're injured.

So. I get Botha, Sargun, Steodonn, and V the King in my same pool? Sweet.

You forget Costa Libertad (= PremierApex or better known as ADLM) and Voobaha from Liga Mundo. That's gonna be one fun division.

Now if anyone is wondering how the draw is done, it is a weighted random draw based on team strength (same method as previous years).

The 5-star teams (there's only 4 of us) are placed randomly between the 4 pools, except Transvaal being host always goes in Pool A. If there are dummy teams (like Team #44 or the Commie prisoner team we had in TWC I) those go into Pool D. Then all the 4-star squads are randomly assigned, followed by the the 3-star teams.

What results is all pools are as balanced as possible - all the team strengths for the pools add up to 38 except Pool D is 37.

The major change this year is the assignment of teams. In the previous two cups, a national team located as close to your in-game capital was used. I wasn't able to do that this year as there aren't enough geographicaly diverse national teams in FIFA2005 (30) compared to the 120~ in FIFA2002.

This year I based the team strengths on a team's previous participation. The most notible beneficiary of this is Sooners, whose in-game capital is in Canada (and to a lesser extent, Children of Odin). In the two previous tournaments, Sooners had to struggle with the Canadian national team - which meant he was often consigned to the Worst of the World portion of the tournament.

When I had to figure out a new team allocation system, I felt it wasn't fair that those who've been around the longest haven't done well, while in theory their teams should be getting better every year.

So I went with assigning team strengths based on previous participation. All those of you who are entering this for the first time, if you return next year then your teams will improve.

Edited by Botha

It does, I have FIFA2009 and it has an entire menu for auto simulation, even allows the computer to simulate smart substitutions (if the person has a yellow or is particularly tired, or if an extra forward is needed) not just if they're injured.

Nice. That was one problem with the older versions, the PC never made any substitutions unless injured. Although I really liked how in FIFA2002 you could accidently or intentionally make deliberate contact with the keeper (and get tossed out as a result). In the later versions, you cannot make any deliberate contact or injure the keeper - thus they lost some realism and a mindful concern with in the close goalmouth scrambles.

Bu the way, Brian Reimer sign up (if you haven't yet). I see by your avatar you like soccer/football ;)

TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE SPORTNUUS

PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS FOR TRANSVAAL CUP III

POOL A

Transvaal

Costa Libertad

Dun Carrig

The Cheeselands

SPOILER: Killallippies

POOL B

Sooners

Mac Land

Neo Japan

Tahoe

SPOILER: UDCR

POOL C

Deutschland

Arcadian Empire

J Andres

VolNation

SPOILER: Irlande

POOL D

Children of Odin

Cataduanes

Melloria

Articuno Islands

SPOILER: Magna Roma

In other TWC III news, the Transvaal Voetbalsvereniging (Transvaal Football Union) has approved Transvaal's second X11 side Windhoek Welwitschia to participate in the tournament if another nation does not fill the Team #44 vacancy.