The End Of Italy

Kaiser Martens

A message was sent from Mannelig's Bunker in Italy, surprisingly, it was beyond Enemy Lines closer to the north, where enemies had already come and gone, they hadn't noticed him. The message of course, as it was sent worldwide, caused for the place to be identified right away by the remaining enemies.

"This is General Mannelig of Italia, and this will be my final transmission and final acts as ruler and as a human being. Before I am silenced, I wished to let the world know our point of view in the situation, a final analysis on this war..."

"First the crude facts. Italy, is dead. There have been simply too many nuclear devices detonated in the area, even the far corners have a radioactivity which would make any citizen of the Pripyat feel like they're back at home. Simply put, we're all dead. Plants, are dead. Animals are dead. Humans are also dead, only 20% of our formerly huge population was able to survive in our bunkers, outside of them, only a handful are still alive, and all of them are on their way to death by cancer. Nothing can be grown on Italy, the "trees" and "plants" that one can see are simply "ghosts" on their way to decay, in the forests no sound is heard, for almost every animal has either died directly or died due to lack of resources. This is nuclear war for you. For some thousand years, Italy will remain this way, rock, earth, snow, more rock, more snow, some green - nuclear green. Let this be something to remind other rulers so it may not happen again. I predict that after this war people shall have a tendency to only war nations which lack nuclear weaponry...but not only Italy is affected...Iberia, France, Greater Germany, the Balkans, even parts of Prussia and Denmark so far have been to varying degrees affected by the fallout, and Nuclear Winter has set in in all of Europe save for the far north, then again being this also proper Winter, this is expected to be the coldest winter in Europe ever to be recorded by far, even if humans can shield themselves from this, animals and plants will not be quite that lucky...if the winds blow, it can spread even to other parts..."

"Now the reasons. As most of you know, Germany and the Dutch invaded. I do not even remember their reason for war, there really wasn't any beyond expansionism, honestly my nation was even at the start ten times weaker than them, they simply did not expect me to defend with nuclear weaponry, they expected us to fear and capitulate. I do not know if I did pick the right thing or not, but I was not going to run, I stood ground and fought, I nuked their formations one after the other with Low Yield Nuclear Weaponry, which have still a far higher yield than any other explosives ever seen of the non-nuclear kind. The situation degenerated, the Middle East was nuked, the Hanseatics were nuked, we were also nuked, eventually Germany was nuked as well. But I would like to make one major distinction between us, and our enemies..."

"Us Gebivians, used all of our weapons against Military Targets only. The enemy however, targetted exclusively Civilian Targets. While all of our nukes were used to destroy the enemy armies, which outnumbered us SO badly that there was no way to put up a normal resistance, the enemies targetted our cities, Martenshaven, Rome, Naples, Venice, and more. They destroyed Civilians and Art, we destroyed Military. The same was repeated in the middle east. This was primarily done by the Asian Superpower we're all familiar with, additionally the Hansa were nuked and were so weak and small they were totally destroyed, yet their standing army which was invading Germany, was not nuked. Germany, the Dutch and the UFE are essentially genocidal states, they have shown that when they wage war, they aim not to destroy the military power, but to actually destroy the very country and the citizens. I still have four nukes and could strike back at their cities, but I refuse to create a Civilian Nuclear Holocaust like they did with us. It is only the responsability of the world to eventually stand against this in time. It is because of this that as we speak our remaining nukes are being fired towards the armies the enemy still has here in Italy. Either way, the place is already dead, whether if we use these weapons or not. Let this be remembered as the Italian Nuclear Genocide. Germany should have known better. I am German myself. All they had to do was ask and I'd have been instantly allied to them, same as the Prussians, but instead of fighting together, he chose to fight each other. I would love to further punish them for this, but I cannot bring myself to nuke what for me is the Holy German Lands. In spite of this, other peoples nuked them, and the dutch dams were broken by missiles in such a way that the flooding equalled almost the usage of proper WMDs."

"This is it. As the nukes are on the air and about to hit, we announce the Capitulation of Italy. This base will however not surrender, the remaining 4k soldiers including myself will remain here and fight until death as we wish to do, simply because we wish not to live another day to see the devastation. The civilians will await help to get out of this hellhole, frankly we cannot do anything about that. The supplies they have will last thirty days more, then they will all starve. And as for my enemies, we'll meet again in Ragnarök..."

End Transmission.

Mannelig remained at his chair in the bunker with an assault rifle nearby and his helmet on, in full uniform. Defences were ready, there was only one entrance to the vast underground base, they expected the enemy, though chances are they would simply take the simple way and resort to Nuclear Bunkerbuster Bombs.

Mannelig looked at a picture of his late wife... "I will soon see you again."

The Second Republic of the Netherlands would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize for the imperialist actions of Maarten Tromp, Emperor of the First Empire of the Netherlands. He has been locked up in a prison in the nuclear hellhole of Dan Haag, and will remain there until his trial. He will be forced to suffer the same fate as those who have suffered under him. The millions that have died in this war died because of our former Emperor, and for that we apologise for producing from our ranks such a vile and despicable man.

The Never Again Doctrine

With the current situation in all of the world, that is, the state of nuclear winter across the world, we do hereby declare the Never Again Doctrine, which will, we believe protect those who survive these next few hellish years from more pain and suffering.

1) Never Again shall the Second Republic of the Netherlands use nuclear weapons upon a foreign city with the intent of killing citizens therein and crippling the enemy through these means

2) Never Again shall the Second Republic of the Netherlands declare a war of aggression upon one of her neighbours with the intent of expansionism.

3) Never Again shall the Second Republic of the Netherlands allow weapons of mass destruction to be used to kill innocent civilians or military personnel around the world.

4) Never Again shall the Second Republic of the Netherlands go about her actions mindless of the people whom she serves, and those whom she ought to serve.

5) Never Again shall the Second Republic of the Netherlands call upon her allies for massive nuclear warfare resulting in the deaths of millions.

Signed,

Prins Alexander I

De Senaat

Thank you.

Seeing as this is probably the last good harvest for the next several years, we will airdrop what little food we have to spare to the starving Italians. We will then have to start to save up what we can to ride out the next few years. The nuclear winter will surely cause failed monsoons, and we can only bring so much ice back from our antarctic island.

Which proves people should take more intelligent measures when dealing witch foes who can fight back unconventionally.

Indeed.

We also congratulate the dutch on their measures to prevent nuclear warfare on civilians.

**Private and encrypted message to Mannelig**

Dear General Mannelig,

Should you survive this hellhole, I'd gladly welcome you here in Saboria. Perhaps you'd like some rest after these last years of war (Of course, other rest than that which is found in death).

-L

*Private*

Fermi sat back, and took a deep sigh.

"Today is shaping up to be a dark day for Italy. I just hope General Mannelig knows what he's doing..."

Public, but unrelated to the earlier thing:

ADI will route all unnecessary planes to drop supplies in Italy. It is never good to see a truly honorable nation on it's knees with expansionism, oppression and aggression cracking the whip.

"I thank you. But I wish to see my Wife. Besides I can hardly go on living knowing that I have a part of the responsability. The Dutch have taken a good decision there, I hope other nations will follow suit, I am glad that I did not use weapons on their people as the new doctrine that they show implies that the vast majority of their people are opposed to such destruction. In a way, this war I hope may help prevent other things. We, the remainder of the army, will sit and await our destruction, all of us are people who have lost our land, posessions, family and friends, we're the ones who do not wish to go on forwards and so we wish to die honorably, that is, to die fighting, so we may be elligible for Valhalla."

"Also, rather than supplies, the people of Italy need to...emigrate. Planes and ships for evacuating the people would be the best."

Edited by Kaiser Martens

Dear General Mannelig,

My heart bleeds for your people, never before in the history of the world has the total disregard for human life been so apparent and brutal. In this war we lost so much, the great cultural centers of the world, millions of dedicated soldiers, millions of innocent civilians, loved ones, and in a way I think each one of us lost something in ourselves. There are many nights that I sit out on the beaches in Australia and miss the cold brisk air of the Baltic, I am Nordic in every way possible and no amount of nuclear war or death will ever let that escape from my body and soul. One day the wrongs will be righted, but I only pray that they will be righted in peace and not through more bloodshed.

Italy will always remain as a pillar of resistance to the despotism that had tried to take over Europe, that has tried to take over the world, but they will fail. I pray that you do not perish in the furthering conflict and maybe one day I will see you in person in Australia. If that is not the case then maybe together we will ride into the final fight, but always no that it was my honor to defend your nation and defeat the reign of absolutism that exists on the Earth. I am proud to be able to call myself your ally. I am proud to be able to call myself your friend.

Sincerely Yours,

Sarah Tintagyl

Secure transmission to Mannelig: What has happened to Italy is very unfortunate. We would like to help, but evacuation efforts on our part would be redundant. Instead we will inform governments offering evacuation that Arctica should be offered as a destination for evacuees, a final destination though, once complications from the radiation are taken care of. You have served your people as well as you could, and those left alive will continue the fight long after you are gone. It is obvious that you are ready to leave. Go be with your ancestors.

This has to be the most selfish thing I have ever heard. You can’t give up, not now, you have a responsibility, as long as there is a single Italian alive. The remaining population of Italy has but one right, survival, giving up now will only encourage others to lie down and die.

General Mannelig if you do not lead your people to survival you are undoubtedly the worst sort of coward.

Tropico2.gif

From the office of Generalissimo, Generalissimo of Procinctia

"Lead? And just precisely HOW do you think we should do that? We have no boats, we have no fuel, we have no planes, we have absolutely no means to get them out of here, even if the enemy ceased to occupy Italy, we'd still have no means, and even if we did have all those things above mentioned, it won't change the fact that this is a radioactive wasteland with an average of one meter of green snow. We don't even have enough Hazmat suits to get the people out of their bunkers."

Leadership is more than boats, more than fuel, more than planes, more than resources.

I know better than anyone that leadership only requires a transmitter.

I have lived a year alone in the contaminated wasteland of Saint Paul City, organizing the bunker survivors through radio.

You are talking to us, you have the means, but not perhaps not the will.

Edited by Generalissimo

In these circumstances hope is fragile and anarchy is death, sometimes a voice on a radio is enough to convince people to live.

If vague notions of leadership are not enough to convince you to continue, perhaps you would be receptive to something more tangible.

Talking to us you are clearly in possession of communication infrastructure, the reallocation of these resources to rescue and response has the potential to save many lives, if you are willing to play operator for awhile.

Giving up is so easy isn’t it? You wish not to live another day to see the devastation because you are cowards.

Edited by Generalissimo

"We are deeply sorry to see an Italian nation be shattered to pieces as it was by its enemies. We will extend our hands and offer temporary, or permanent if desired, residence in Viniland. After all, Italian is one of our official languages, roughly 25% of the population proudly call themselves "Italians", and their presence has deeply impacted our culture"

"Of course, we will personally assist with evacuation, clean up and re-construction efforts."

OOC: I might start a separate thread in order to RP evacuation and such. If you're up for that, KM...

In these circumstances hope is fragile and anarchy is death, sometimes a voice on a radio is enough to convince people to live.

If vague notions of leadership are not enough to convince you to continue, perhaps you would be receptive to something more tangible.

Talking to us you are clearly in possession of communication infrastructure, the reallocation of these resources to rescue and response has the potential to save many lives, if you are willing to play operator for awhile.

Giving up is so easy isn’t it? You wish not to live another day to see the devastation because you are cowards.

If this has anything to do with any sort of crushing personal loss, you’re probably not alone, half the survivors are going through the same thing.

If you can’t find the strength to face your past, how do you expect the rest of Italy's survivors to?

There is nothing heroic about giving up on life, not when the people of Italy depend on your guidance.

I know because I was once as much of a coward as you are today.

When Procinctia was the edge of oblivion, when Saint Paul was reduced to rubble, when the armies were annihilated, I chose not to withdraw to the bunkers. Alone in the contaminated wasteland and unable to face my failure I expected a quick death, I was weak, and I was wrong.

In a single flash the people of Finland lost everything, Lady Sarah lost everything.

Sarah chose not give up, not to die in a hole, but lead her people to the sanctuary of Australia.

We apparently lack her strength.

Edited by Generalissimo