This Week in Pacifica

so those who hold power are free to distribute punishment as they wish with no concern of the proportion to the discretion? What a lovely civilization you defend.

Sounds fun doesn't it?

I see this attempt at an insult as something that actually comes across as positive. Thank you.

How would you ever see that as a positive?

Seriously, if you found a way to get a positive light from that, I applaud you. I didn't even understand it...

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, if you found a way to get a positive light from that, I applaud you. I didn't even understand it...

It helps if you know the windmills are a Don Quixote reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_at_windmills

Edit: Helps you understand the original statement, not why Silva finds it a positive one.

Edited by grimace

Obviously 900 people would beg to differ or else they would have left the NPO a long time ago.

I'm pretty certain he can see that. He was just challenging Silva's suggestion that he has the right to shoot people who disagreed.

I'm pretty certain he can see that. He was just challenging Silva's suggestion that he has the right to shoot people who disagreed.

You make it sound like he litterally meant "shoot" people. It's an expression used for "proving your theory false."

Anyways, if you want to make such a challenge be sure to back it up. He had the right to challenge, just as others had the right to challenge him. As redundant as Tom Litler's point was, it was a point... take it easy on the lad. :P

I see this attempt at an insult as something that actually comes across as positive. Thank you.

Oh marvelous! And you've put it in your sig too! :lol:

I give you my most sincere kudos for that. It can indeed be misconstrued to fit your agenda, which further proves my point. So I must thank you also. The ignorant will read that and may see it your way, while the educated will, as they often do, laugh at you.

To be fair, that quote is just as much a jab at your enemies (the TWiPs of this world) as it is a jab at you. So at the very least, by quoting it in your sig, you can try to make the case that you're on the right side of the imaginary battle. Good luck sir.

Oh that is fairly easy, if the world is full of blowhards pretending (or believing) that a windmill is an evil troll, then I'm more than happy to be one of the "few" to defend the windmill against the lunatics.

It's a good analogy: a windmill produces grain or power, while civilization is the basis of our complex and stable international society today. To set either up as some evil dragon or oppressor is sheer lunacy; to defend either is something even simple folks can take pride in.

Edited by Count da Silva

Oh that is fairly easy, if the world is full of blowhards pretending (or believing) that a windmill is an evil troll, then I'm more than happy to be one of the "few" to defend the windmill against the lunatics.

It's a good analogy: a windmill produces grain or power, while civilization is the basis of our complex and stable international society today. To set either up as some evil dragon or oppressor is sheer lunacy; to defend either is something even simple folks can take pride in.

Right, because no civilization can possibly be evil or oppressive.

You are always free to try to prove that my perception of reality is wrong, you know.

If you were so sure of your perception of reality, you'd be in the NPO rather than worshipping from the outside.

I can't really blame you for not joining the NPO because fantasies rarely transfer into reality all that well and, for someone so highly strung and so adamant, the disappointment of the NPO falling short of your fantasies may tip you over the edge.

"Evil" and "oppressive" are subjective. I deal in objective reality.

The terms "complex" and "stable" are just as subjective, but thats besides the point.

Is the current civilization evil or oppressive? Thats the important question and the one you're trying to avoid.

If you were so sure of your perception of reality, you'd be in the NPO rather than worshipping from the outside.

I can't really blame you for not joining the NPO because fantasies rarely transfer into reality all that well and, for someone so highly strung and so adamant, the disappointment of the NPO falling short of your fantasies may tip you over the edge.

To be a scientist is to be free of worship. I am perfectly happy where I am, and I am perfectly aware that nobody is perfect.

Ah but sir, it's not an analogy at all, though this is exactly how I expected you to misconstrue it. The analogy you have brutally attempted to hammer into that idiom, has in fact nothing to do with the meaning of the expression at all. Which is why I said the ignorant might understand your meaning, while the educated will laugh.

I'm not sure how this is related to TWiP, or how we even got here, so I will leave this line of discussion from here on out. But before I go, I must thank you once again for putting that quote in your sig. Should I ever find myself suffering the tortures of your logic again, at the end I will be relieved with that reminder of my genius. ^_^

What is reality but one's perspective?

Yes, I believe I read that on my caramel machiatto this morning. Fine coffee, bad philosophy.