Infra Jumps

Robony

I'm at the 2000 jump point. I've used both calculators to figure the jump and gotten VERY different answers. The XL spreadsheet says like 900 levels @ about 35,000,000. Mr Fix it says about $3.2 Mil. Mr. fix it seems more like the amount I would expect and according to XL -I pretty much have to jump the entire 2000 levels. Somebody help - My brain is starting to hurt!

TIA

MFO's is no longer useful, though it may still be close at the lower levels. It's definitely not 900 infra. At most jumps will be somewhere round 200 infra, but most often not even that high.

You can figure it out yourself with a little math, though. Think about what your income would be with purchase, what it'd be in bills, compare to now.

Personally I would just save enough for the next income boosting improvement or a donation(read 200 infra)...that should be enough for your level.

On his level I wouldn't do a donation on his own nation, if he sells one he would approximately gain 18 million.

Using Cn-utilities I calculated recently for a nation that it would cost approximately 23 million to get from 1999 to 2999, So I would make the jump if you have around 10 million after 19 days of inactivity.

The MFO calc is also wrong to due flawed logic, I wouldn't recommend using either.

In addition at low infra levels, you have to factor in the extra income you'll get from more citizens allowing extra improvements. Up to around 3000 this is generally enough to make any jump worthwhile in terms of daily profit.

It is good as long as you have income improvements to go.

I don't get the waiting for ever logic at lower infra jumps.

That was my point too. Not sure about the 3k jump but certainly at 1k and 2k where you'll still be gaining significant income increases through extra economy improvs, make the jump ASAP.

Edited by Chairman Cao

That's my biggest gripe about all the public infra jump calculators. None of them take into account additional improvement purchases that the extra infra allows. For the first few jumps just 1 extra school/university/clinic/police headquarters, etc is enough to make the jump profitable. A lot of them spit out ridiculous numbers like hundreds of infra because that is what it would take on infra alone.

That's my biggest gripe about all the public infra jump calculators. None of them take into account additional improvement purchases that the extra infra allows. For the first few jumps just 1 extra school/university/clinic/police headquarters, etc is enough to make the jump profitable. A lot of them spit out ridiculous numbers like hundreds of infra because that is what it would take on infra alone.

This is very true. I used to use the .xls version mentioned earlier, but I do recall that at the 2k jump, it essentially tells you that it will never be profitable (it said 900, but only b/c it only calculated out to 900). At one point, I almost had enough ambition to update this program to account for the improvements. Unfortunately, I started doing so, but never really got it to a point that would be worthy of publication.

But, yeah, as raskull said, the correct answer is typically as much as it takes to be able to buy the next best improvement for the 2k jump. I think the 3k jump was similar.

The MFO calc is also wrong to due flawed logic, I wouldn't recommend using either.

In addition at low infra levels, you have to factor in the extra income you'll get from more citizens allowing extra improvements. Up to around 3000 this is generally enough to make any jump worthwhile in terms of daily profit.

I don't understand the logic of the MFO calc myself. Part of the reason I never bothered to fix it. I'd have to just rewrite the darn thing.

And yes, to the infra purchaser, these jump things are far overblown. Just check your profits before and after, and you will see that with much less than they claim is necessary, you will still be making a profit by purchasing the infra.

I suppose I should write a disclaimer on the infra jump page...

However, in other news... A couple weeks ago I updated the normal infra calculator to account for the 12k+ infra wonders and the fact it didn't cap the tech bonus. It appears to now be 100% accurate, though I doubt anyone without those wonders noticed the change, and I doubt many users over those levels really check it anyway. I mainly use it for kicks and giggles, or calculating damages. :(

I don't understand the logic of the MFO calc myself. Part of the reason I never bothered to fix it. I'd have to just rewrite the darn thing.

IIRC when I looked at the code it was nearly there but the big issue was that it caculated difference in bills based taking into account the difference in infra at the two levels but NOT the difference in upkeep per level. Whoever wrote it first probably assumed this was a reasonable approximation, but since the difference in profits is very small to begin with, it's actually far from reasonable, and makes the figures wildly off. This may not have been the exact reason, but it was something similar if not.

Edit: Not to berate the site though. All the other calcs on MFO are spot on in my experience and I use the infra cost one regularly :)

Edited by Chairman Cao

By "jump" we're talking about an increase in upkeep, not just increasing your infra level.

What you mean is that the formula to determine infra upkeep changes, because buying more infra causes an upkeep increase always :P

So for example you might go from 3999 to 4000 infra and your per infra upkeep goes from 200$ to 240$ instead of 200.50$