Down with the Order!

Republic of USA

Hey man, credit to you for not succumbing to peer pressure and actually speaking your mind. I remember too, when we used to actually have fun with CN - back when there wasn't a dictatorship :P

I started my first nation in 2007, since then, yes, a lot has changed.

In 2007 there was really only one power bloc, whats changed? There is one big power bloc and other blocs dispersed around Bob, 2007 was almost exactly the same.

Edited by Alterego

the dynamics of the game have changed.. not NEAR as many protectorates, treaties.. garbage.. the game has become a lot of old powerful nations that are scared of each other so they pretend to be good buddies.

FAKE for the phail...

Odd. I remember people saying exactly the same thing in 2007. And 2008. And 2006, come to think of it.

NPO has always been around and they haven't really changed for three years. I don't believe they are responsible for any decline on Planet Bob. Back in 2006, there were like 15-20 alliances and politics were clear and transparant. These days there are hundreds of alliances and most of the time I don't even know who's who and who's allied to whom.

Odd. I remember people saying exactly the same thing in 2007. And 2008. And 2006, come to think of it.

That just proves that things have gotten progressively more tangled and "stable". The more complexity added to the treaty web he less exciting politics get. I am still having fun but I see the validity of the argument.

Edited by KingSrqt

That just proves that things have gotten progressively more tangled and "stable". The more complexity added to the treaty web he less exciting politics get. I am still having fun but I see the validity of the argument.

I will not disagree that things have gotten progressively more tangled and stable. In fact, I outline the reasons for it here (where I also point out why taking an idealistic view of it being due to this or that individual alliance is asinine).

However, this was true in 2006, 2007 and 2008 as well; indeed, as early as March 2006 I had to argue against a global reset since many refused to accept that history wasn't quite yet at an end. There has been no fundamental change, as is the implication of such debates -- and as has been the explicit point in most of the weekly threads on the subject since 2006 [the Order is too powerful; the stalemate can never be overcome; the Initiative is too powerful; etc].

The increasing stability is simply due to the increasing deconcentration of strength and power that leads strategic interests increasingly towards collective cooperation rather than individual grandstanding. There is little that can practically be done to change this -- and those that go against their strategic interests (as the idealists push for) get weeded out sharpish. It is ignorance of this fact, and the tendency to instead shift the blame onto individual leaders or cultural traits, that leads to threads/ideologies like this. But rest assured that, despite all this, the only constant on Planet Bob is change, and regardless of how stable things become, it can only ever be temporary.

Or, to put it another way: "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please."

Edited by Vladimir

the dynamics of the game have changed.. not NEAR as many protectorates, treaties.. garbage.. the game has become a lot of old powerful nations that are scared of each other so they pretend to be good buddies.

FAKE for the phail...

You are right, large alliances rarely bully small alliances and crush them for fun these days because of their treaties and protectorate agreements. If the dynamic has changed its because the alliances that operated in that way are gone and the treaties are partially their fault. When your only options are to be a protectorate, sign a treaty or be crushed for sport what do you think will happen. I cant answer for older nations relationships with each other, however pretending to be good buddies apparently goes all the way back to the early days on Bob.

Edited by Alterego

There are currently 29,433 nations on Planet Bob. The top 200 alliances account for 20,874 of that total.

There is still space out there to go have fun. Go have it. Hell, if you can organize some of those in that space and make an alliance worth something, you can still aspire to greatness.

That is pretty much the way it has always been, NPO or no NPO.

Stop whining, do something.