The Mando'ade encounter their first Storm Dragon.

Maelstrom Vortex

[CNRPS]

The broadcast came just as the object came out of a storm near the north-eastern border of the Mando'ade domain. It was one of the dragons who had intended a stop over before going north to the indian sub-continent to help in the war among dragon species that was raging there. A black plume of smoke trailed the falling dragon. Its jet engine on its flight suit had failed when it consumed a bird on approach to the territories. The second engine was still going and was the only reason the still dragon wore the complex suit. If the other one went out he would begin to lose lift, the dragon would have to turn on its back and hit the release button to remove the shell from around his body.. then right himself in a natural glide/flight before he hit the ground. "Requesting clearance to land on nearest cleared area... please provide guidance! Anyone with a radio on the ground.. PLEASE provide guidance!"

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[CNRPS]

The broadcast came just as the object came out of a storm near the north-eastern border of the Mando'ade domain. It was one of the dragons who had intended a stop over before going north to the indian sub-continent to help in the war among dragon species that was raging there. A black plume of smoke trailed the falling dragon. Its jet engine on its flight suit had failed when it consumed a bird on approach to the territories. The second engine was still going and was the only reason the still dragon wore the complex suit. If the other one went out he would begin to lose lift, the dragon would have to turn on its back and hit the release button to remove the shell from around his body.. then right himself in a natural glide/flight before he hit the ground. "Requesting clearance to land on nearest cleared area... please provide guidance! Anyone with a radio on the ground.. PLEASE provide guidance!"

As luck would have it, there was a small outpost nearby with a working radio. They didn't have a serviceable airfield, but they did have a grassy area where the dragon could land.

"Clearance granted." It was obvious from the voice that they were not Dwarven, no visual contact necessary. And it was just as well--the storm was moving in their direction, so visibility was going to be poor in a few minutes.

the Sergeant internally debated for a few moments the risk of using glow-sticks to guide whoever it was in, and decided it was worth it. There wasn't much out here the Dwarves would be interested in. He sent a runner with the necessary equipment, who was there within a matter of 15 seconds.

"Follow the yellow light in. There is a clear area there."

As luck would have it, there was a small outpost nearby with a working radio. They didn't have a serviceable airfield, but they did have a grassy area where the dragon could land.

"Clearance granted." It was obvious from the voice that they were not Dwarven, no visual contact necessary. And it was just as well--the storm was moving in their direction, so visibility was going to be poor in a few minutes.

the Sergeant internally debated for a few moments the risk of using glow-sticks to guide whoever it was in, and decided it was worth it. There wasn't much out here the Dwarves would be interested in. He sent a runner with the necessary equipment, who was there within a matter of 15 seconds.

"Follow the yellow light in. There is a clear area there."

"Thanks.." The Dragon steadied the flight pattern, following the lights. He tried to right himself a bit so that the engines would come to a slow stall that would let him land easily and cut back on the power using the mechanical dial on the side of his abdomen.. to which his hands laid flat during flight. Most of the flight controls for the J-1 that didn't involve steering were in this area, where they were easily reached. The flight controls were in the wings, where the natural movement of the wing actually was conveyed by mechanical methods to the flight controls of the suit. He pressed a button, unlocking his hind legs for movement for landing as he approached stall speed.. it was hard to maintain balance with only the one engine going.. He landed harder than usual on his left leg. There was a loud sound of bending metal.. then a "CRACK" as his leg broke and he fell to his side. His head hit the ground hard, but the metal, cushioned helm saved his skull. He rapidly cut the engines.. once he was sure he was going to live, his senses started to catch up with him. There was a magnificent roar from within the helmet as the pain from his broken leg shot through his body.

He scrabbled to press the release buttons for his suit.. parts of it unlatching and falling off his body, including his helmet. He was going into shock. He would need medical treatment immediately.

"Thanks.." The Dragon steadied the flight pattern, following the lights. He tried to right himself a bit so that the engines would come to a slow stall that would let him land easily and cut back on the power using the mechanical dial on the side of his abdomen.. to which his hands laid flat during flight. Most of the flight controls for the J-1 that didn't involve steering were in this area, where they were easily reached. The flight controls were in the wings, where the natural movement of the wing actually was conveyed by mechanical methods to the flight controls of the suit. He pressed a button, unlocking his hind legs for movement for landing as he approached stall speed.. it was hard to maintain balance with only the one engine going.. He landed harder than usual on his left leg. There was a loud sound of bending metal.. then a "CRACK" as his leg broke and he fell to his side. His head hit the ground hard, but the metal, cushioned helm saved his skull. He rapidly cut the engines.. once he was sure he was going to live, his senses started to catch up with him. There was a magnificent roar from within the helmet as the pain from his broken leg shot through his body.

He scrabbled to press the release buttons for his suit.. parts of it unlatching and falling off his body, including his helmet. He was going into shock. He would need medical treatment immediately.

The scout sent to guid the dragon in was only frozen by the being's appearance for a few moments--then he radioed for the medic.

"We have a wounded...dragon here. I'm going to need help treating him." Even in the coming storm, they wouldn't risk moving him until they knew the extent of his injuries.

That accomplished, he approached the dragon warily, speaking in a calm, hopefully soothing voice, in Mando'a. "Easy, there, burc'ya (friend), I'm here to help. Can you understand me? Can you speak? If so, can you tell me if you have any other injuries?" He'd heard the leg break, but he wanted to ensure there were no other wounds...

The medic would be there in a minute, after gathering what medical supplies she had...

OOC: Why are you people still copying my language?
OOC:because he chose to name his CNRPS race Mando'ade, even though they are actually elves.

OOC: Besides, Mando'ade/Mandalorian is not one specific race, but rather a collection of individuals sharing the same culture. They will even adopt old enemies into their way of life if the individuals wish to do so.

They embody the spirit of cooperation between races, so that is why I used them.

The scout sent to guid the dragon in was only frozen by the being's appearance for a few moments--then he radioed for the medic.

"We have a wounded...dragon here. I'm going to need help treating him." Even in the coming storm, they wouldn't risk moving him until they knew the extent of his injuries.

That accomplished, he approached the dragon warily, speaking in a calm, hopefully soothing voice, in Mando'a. "Easy, there, burc'ya (friend), I'm here to help. Can you understand me? Can you speak? If so, can you tell me if you have any other injuries?" He'd heard the leg break, but he wanted to ensure there were no other wounds...

The medic would be there in a minute, after gathering what medical supplies she had...

The Dragon would crawl out of the rest of his suit.. his limp leg dangling behind him.. the bone was completely free of the skin. He then laid flat on his back. His eyes opening and closing in intense pain. He groaned in response. All responses he attempted came out as the hisses and growls of his native tongue that didn't sound at all friendly, "Yeah.. I can understand you, they taught me to understand.. but my voice box.. not rigged.. crap.." He gave up as blackness overcame him and he passed out. As he passed out, his quidpartite jaws would fall open revealing menacing teeth and a proboscis. He laid there groaning and unconcious. There appeared to be no other major wounds, the flight suit was incredibly rigid. It was only due to the reinforced leggings he didn't take much more severe harm. The leg looked like those of a broken komodo dragon or lizard legs. They might need a vet instead! Underneath the flight suit they wore a pressurization uniform.. and it is more than apparent that the base of his is torn open with that leg sticking out covered in a thick brackish red blood.

The Dragon would crawl out of the rest of his suit.. his limp leg dangling behind him.. the bone was completely free of the skin. He then laid flat on his back. His eyes opening and closing in intense pain. He groaned in response. All responses he attempted came out as the hisses and growls of his native tongue that didn't sound at all friendly, "Yeah.. I can understand you, they taught me to understand.. but my voice box.. not rigged.. crap.." He gave up as blackness overcame him and he passed out. As he passed out, his quidpartite jaws would fall open revealing menacing teeth and a proboscis. He laid there groaning and unconcious. There appeared to be no other major wounds, the flight suit was incredibly rigid. It was only due to the reinforced leggings he didn't take much more severe harm. The leg looked like those of a broken komodo dragon or lizard legs. They might need a vet instead! Underneath the flight suit they wore a pressurization uniform.. and it is more than apparent that the base of his is torn open with that leg sticking out covered in a thick brackish red blood.

The scout that had guided him in winced, only slightly. He'd seen wounds before, but not ones this bad, as he had not seen much combat. He didn't understand the words, and he wasn't sure if they were friendly or hostile--anything a being like this (considering their facial structure) said would come out sounding threatening.

The medic, on a cursory assessment of his condition, shook her head helplessly. "I'm not qualified to treat non-humanoids. From the look of him, I'd say a vet specializing in lizards would be more appropriate. I can't do anything but try and set the leg. anything I try to do for the shock he must be in might only make it worse..."

And she suited action to words. Even as the first raindrops began to fall, she assigned several men to find a good-sized tree-branch--the splints they had for theimselves would hardly be large enough. While they worked on that and on setting the leg straight once more, she worked on making a bandage that was big enough. At least she could staunch the bleeding.

Finally, when the rain was coming down so thinkly they couldn;t see much beyond a hand held out in front of them, they were finished. The leg was splinted, and the tears in the skin bandaged with clean fabric.

During all this, the commander had sent for someone more qualified to asses the Dragon's condition, but it would be at least a day before they could get there...

The Storm Dragon was taken on a stretcher to a spot inside the most nearby dwelling where he would be laid to wait for the arrival of the vet. Over time, with his wound staunched and his leg set, he would start to regain conciousness.. "Arrghh..." He would growl as he woke up and leaned forward.. til he realized he was not really able to move and laid back down.. "Where am I?" Came the grunts hisses and clicks.

The Storm Dragon was taken on a stretcher to a spot inside the most nearby dwelling where he would be laid to wait for the arrival of the vet. Over time, with his wound staunched and his leg set, he would start to regain conciousness.. "Arrghh..." He would growl as he woke up and leaned forward.. til he realized he was not really able to move and laid back down.. "Where am I?" Came the grunts hisses and clicks.

The guard assigned to him (the one wh'd guided him in, to ensure at least a little familiarity) started at his words, but otherwise there was no physical reaction.

"I'm sorry, burc'ya, but I can't understand you. I assume you want to know where you are? In that case, you're in the furthest reaches of eastern Mandalore. That was quite a nasty fall you took, so rest easy until a more qualified individual can examine your wounds."

OOC: Besides, Mando'ade/Mandalorian is not one specific race, but rather a collection of individuals sharing the same culture. They will even adopt old enemies into their way of life if the individuals wish to do so.

They embody the spirit of cooperation between races, so that is why I used them.

OOC: Partly true. They were once a race called the Taung. Everything stems from their traditions.

The Dragon calmed a bit.. at the words of the officer. He blinked a few seconds.. he raised a clawed hand and moved it like he were grasping a pin.. and a motion like he were writing. Pointed at the guard, then pointed at his motions.

The guard tilted his head in a curious manner as he watched, nodding his understanding, he stepped outside to the sentry there.

"The dragon is awake. Please bring him something to write with and on--he can understand us, but he can't speak our language."

It was an outpost, but they did have some such supplies--after all, sometimes radios gave out, and a written message needed to be sent.

Thus it was only two minutes later that the sentry returned with a thick pad of paper and a sturdy pen.

"Vor'e," the guard said by way of thanks, then went inside with the supplies. "This what you wanted?" he asked, holding them out so thae dragon could reach...

OOC: Partly true. They were once a race called the Taung. Everything stems from their traditions.

OOC: Also true... :D

The dragon nodded vigorously. He then began to draw what would be a container.. with water in it.. he used the pin to sketch his requests. At least he had some means of communication.

The man gazed at that picture, nodding again to show he understood. he stuck his head out to the sentry. "We need to get our Bes'uliik (Basilisk OOC: Hope you don;t mind them using that nickname for dragons.../OOC) burc'ya some water. Do we have anything that will work?"

The sentry blinked. "Yeah. There should be some buy'cese (OOC: Helmets or buckets--it's interchangeable/OOC), if nothing else, in there. I'll get some canteens." And so the sentry went back through the night to find what he was looking for, and the guard managed to find a battle helmet. It was still serviceable.

"Sorry, this is the best we can do on such short notice. The water might taste a little odd being drunk from this, but it won't poison you."

Right then, the sentry came back with the water...

The Dragon sat up faintly.. with a little help. He gulped down the water and sighed.. He hoped the doctor would arrive soon, his leg was absolutely throbbing. He scratched his head...

He got an idea.. He would draw a willow tree. He hoped they had seen them before.. then indicated with the drawing to remove the bark.. put it in water.. and to brew a tea. Basically, he was trying to tell them how to get salicylic acid. He hoped they would catch the hint that he needed a basic painkiller.

The Dragon sat up faintly.. with a little help. He gulped down the water and sighed.. He hoped the doctor would arrive soon, his leg was absolutely throbbing. He scratched his head...

He got an idea.. He would draw a willow tree. He hoped they had seen them before.. then indicated with the drawing to remove the bark.. put it in water.. and to brew a tea. Basically, he was trying to tell them how to get salicylic acid. He hoped they would catch the hint that he needed a basic painkiller.

The guard frowned. The bark of a willow? He wasn't sure what that meant, other than the most obvious, willobark tea...wait a minute. Basic training taught that it could be used to numb pain. Perhaps...a painkiller?

"Your leg's paining you? Hold on a second..." He dug in one of the pockets on his uniform, pulling out a bottle of Aspirin. He held it out to the dragon. "Careful not to take too much...it can have negative side-effects if you take too large of a dose."

As the sentry made to move back outside, the guard motioned him to stay. "You won't see much in that downpour anyway..."

The sentry shook his head at the naivette of his companion. "Sorry, ner vod (my brother/comrade), but you never know about these things."

As he opened the door, he would notice that the rain was starting to lessen. Right then, his radio crackled...

"Sniper! We have a sniper! Stay under cover! We've got man down over here!"

The radio went dead once more. "Osik," (OOC: This one I won't translate :P/OOC)" the guard and sentry cursed simultaneously, and just as they managed to close the door, the sentry who had been outside felt a tug at his sleave, and when he checked after closing the door, there would be a rip in his uniform, and a very light scratch from the near miss of the bullet. the Doctor might be delayed for a time until this situation was taken care of...

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The Dragon growled faintly at the gunfire. He licked the pills, recognized the taste, and put out about 5 on his claw and then tossed them into his quidpartite jaws. He wished his suit were next to his bed so he could get access to one of his weapons.

The Dragon growled faintly at the gunfire. He licked the pills, recognized the taste, and put out about 5 on his claw and then tossed them into his quidpartite jaws. He wished his suit were next to his bed so he could get access to one of his weapons.

Since it would only take one to watch the door, the original guard turned to their friend. The dragon's suit wasn't next to him, but it was nearby in the same room, just out of the dragon's reach.

"I won't have it said that the Mando'ade let a burc'ya die without givng them the ability to defend themselves. Do you wish to don your armor, fellow verd (warrior)?"

OOC: How heavy is it? And would one person about as strong as a human be able to help him into it?

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The Dragon would nod vigorously, but when the man dragged it to his bedside, he did not get into it. Rather, he pressed a few buttons on the wings and extracted one of the .50 caliber MG's and its feed belt from their mountings and folded down a tripod from beneath its barrel. He sat it on the bed and rested his hands on the trigger in case he needed it. He nodded to the fellow soldier.

The Dragon would nod vigorously, but when the man dragged it to his bedside, he did not get into it. Rather, he pressed a few buttons on the wings and extracted one of the .50 caliber MG's and its feed belt from their mountings and folded down a tripod from beneath its barrel. He sat it on the bed and rested his hands on the trigger in case he needed it. He nodded to the fellow soldier.

The guard returned the nod, impressed with the weapon. There wasn't much else for him to do now but wait.

The former sentry, however, had his weapon out, a high-powered rifle, and a scope attached to it. Cautiously, he peeked out a very small peephole in the door, in hopes he could spot the sniper. Wherever they were, they had to be in line-of-sight with the door, as they would have been spotted from the main building if they had tried to move to a different angle. Also, since that building was a few yards to the Northwest, it narrowed down the area he had to search.

He thought he saw something, but by the time he had his weapon up to fire through the hole, it had seemingly disappeared.

Still, they did not rush out. If the sniper had retreated, as they suspected, that meant the main band would be here soon.

"This is the part I hate the most," the sentry said as he lowered his weapon again. "The waiting game. It plays havoc with one's nerves..."

For several hours, they sat, waiting. Nothing happened.

Just as the young guard was going to volunteer to go out and check, they heard something in the distance...it sounded like gunfire.

Holding a hand out to his partner, the older one cautiously cracked the door open and peered out with the scope on his weapon. He saw what looked like a small party, maybe a dozen of Mando'ade, and they were holding off an assualt from a group of about three times their size as they made for the outpost. What was interesting was they were using weapons the older one had never seen before, weapons like the one the dragon carried, but smaller. It was what was allowing them to hold off a group that outnumbered them so badly in an open fight, because every time the dwarves showed themselves, they were met not with just a dozen bullets, but a literal hail of them. No Dwarf that showed themeselves. One Mando'ade in the center carried no weapon, and the others were trying to protect her.

The older Scout saw a dwarf move to ambush the onrushing party, and without thinking, raised his rifle and fired. The enemy fell, never knowing he'd been hit from behind.

It wasn't long before the party made it, not to the main building, but to the little supply shack where the dragon and his two guards were. it was just as well, because it turned out that the woman they had been protecting was the medical expert who specialized in animals like the dragon.

Ignoring the battle going on around them, she immediately went to her patient, speaking in Manda (The Mandalorian language). "I was the one dispatched, because I can understand your tongue. Can you understand me?"

He responded with a nod, "Very clearly. To whom do I owe the pleasure of speaking?" He hissed like a balloon letting off steam slowly.. the Storm Dragon equivalent of a sigh. So grateful to have someone who understood him finally present.