Jam Session in the Conservatory

Sarah Tintagyl

OOC: This would be after the EFTA conference and anything Sarah's doing with the Camberlainers. In addition anyone who wants to come can, just show up, you don't need clearance or anything

IC: Walking up the marble stairs Sarah unlatched the lock that led into the Conservatory atop Diet Hall. It was the middle of the night and she couldn't sleep, but she really didn't care. Tomorrow was a Saturday, so she could wake up late, the country wasn't going fall apart in a few hours anyways. Pulling over a stool she sat down for a moment, cracked her fingers and let down her hair from the ponytail, she felt relaxed for once in her life. Next she leaned down beside her and opened her guitar case. This guitar had belonged to her uncle and then he had given it to her, it had a beautiful wood finish that she make sure polished to perfection, it was one of the few material possessions that she cared a lot about.

Taking the guitar out for a moment she adjusted it to fit the tune of the song she had in her head and strummed a note. A little off. She adjusted the tuners and strummed again. Perfect.

Over The Hills and Far Away

OOC: I know that they're playing it with electric, but for our purposes, Sarah's playing acoustic.

The sounds filled the Conservatory as she played the soft intro to the song and let the music take her away.

Hey lady, you got the love I need

Maybe more than enough

Oh...darling walk awhile with me.

About a week ago she had invited Erik Bertrake from Forvenge after he had resigned from his position to come visit her once, Sarah knew he was an excellent musician and she had wanted to play with him for a long time. Hopefully he had received the invitation, of course she wasn't picky, anyone that wanted to sit with her that night was welcome. Even if the didn't play, maybe just to talk. But as she continued to play all the troubles of the world seemed to melt away with the music and she just followed the notes that were moving across her head.

The sound of footsteps filled the halls as Erik walked down the hallway to the conservatory. On his back was a large black case, and hanging from that was a small amplifier and pedal. He had gotten the invitation and could not wait to jam. He hadn't been able to play his guitar in a long time.

He smiled at Sarah as he walked in the room and sat on a bench. He sat the small, 8 inch amplifier on the ground and took out his guitar. ((Warning, beautiful guitar)). He ran his fingers across the fretboard and strummed a G chord. A slightly overdriven sound came out of the amplifier. "It's always the same string," he said, as he twisted one of his tuning knobs.

He started tapping his foot on the ground with the music and turned down his guitar so the two guitars could both be heard. At the opportune moment, he joined her playing. His right hand didn't stop moving, they said he had the right hand of a funk musician. He closed his eyes and let the music take control of him. The acoustic sounds of Sarah's guitar mixing with the warm overdrive of his little Roland.

His head started to bob and move with the music, his long hair covering his face and muffling his singing, however low it may be compared to Plant's original voice.

Edited by VinceSixx

She smiled hearing the electric along with her acoustic, its just what the song needed, though listening to both her and Erik's voice she sighed deep down they were nothing like the originals. As the song they continued into the solo and Sarah stopped for a moment as Erik led the way with a series of chords that literally her a little further back against the stool and she smiled and nodded her head in approval. The rumors were right, he really was one of the best players she had heard in a long time.

After the electric solo ended, which really was most of the song anyways, though she had been able to pick enough parts with the acoustic to play over they when back into the ending phrases of the song and as softly and calmly as her fingers let her, Sarah strummed the final notes on the phrase. Her fingers so nimble over the stings of the instrument and after the song's voice died out she placed the guitar back down on her lap.

"Nice to see you here Erik, I didn't realize that we'd be doing this so late. I would have brought up something to drink or eat or something." She strummed and tuned the guitar again. "What have you been up to lately? I see you resigned your leadership role. But other then that how's life been treating you?" She turned to the glass windows leading out into the city. "Oh you got next pick."

He ended the song with a slide down, and turning his volume knobs down, because the amp would buzz as if it was hungry for more music. He turned the neck vertical and leaned it against his shoulder. She was great with her acoustic. He forgot that she was using an acoustic for the rest of the song, because it blended so well.

"Oh, it's fine, music is all I need to fill my appetite," he said ironically. He hadn't been hungry for a while, only one meal a day, as the rest of his day was stressful, he was only now relaxing. "It's much better now, Lars still is alright with me living in the Akershus Festning until I get my visas in order for the trip to the Western Republic. All I've been doing lately is going to the college campus and meeting people. It's easier to do that when security isn't so concerned that someone's going to kill you."

"How about you?"

After she answered, he suggested that they play knockin' on heaven's door, a song that he felt was the glue between musicians, everyone could play it whether they had an electric or acoustic. He could play the Guns n Roses version while some may play the acoustic Dylan version.

(Ignore Axl's wear, it may be a little nsfw...*shudders*)

He allowed her to do a little acoustic sounding fingerpick intro, and he would kick it in with the few power chords.

Edited by VinceSixx

A man with coal-colored hair and faint blue eyes walked into the conservatory. He wore a half-duster to cover his faded black shirt, a pair of well-worn jeans and a beat-up traveler's hat. Most would notice the faintly Lakota tilt to his face, if they were of a mind to notice, as well as the crow-feathers that were tied to his hair and his wrists. Carrying a beat-up violin case, he walked up to the stage and pulled out his violin. It was a beautiful piece that had seen better days; but the strings were new and it had been kept clean and ready. Playing with the bow abit, he rattled out a few quick tunes for warm-up, and then looked at the musicians already there.

"Name's Elijah Two-Crows. Mind if I play along?"

Sarah had never seen the man before, but it didn't really matter, maybe he was a friend of Erik's. "Sure pull up a seat Elijah, just join in when ever you're ready. Picking up the acoustic from her lap she began the acoustic solo, her fingers streaming across the strings ever so gently, then slowly giving up the power that she had created to Erik's electrical chords and the sweet sounds of Elijah's violin. Honestly it had created a sound that she had never heard in her life before. She didn't think it possible to mix the electric guitar and violin, it had been done before sure, but she had never heard it in person and at a point in the song Sarah had actually stopped playing for a moment and listened to the unison.

Knocking On Heaven's Door had special meaning to her as well, she had taken it almost as a personal anthem sometimes. It was strange, after she had been shot by Miroslav in the Council Rebellion as she was being rushed away from the hospital she had requested for the ambulance to turn on the radio and when they picked up a foreign radio station, that had been the song that was playing. It was ironic, a song like that on her way to the hospital, it was almost laughable.

When Erik had finished the last chord they all looked at each other and smiled. Turning to Elijah, Sarah eyed him curiously. "So I've never seen you before Elijah, what brings you all the way to Helsinki?" Then after he had answered (Stormcrow, you can just post that anyways) she turned over to Erik. "That was really good." She looked down at her feet and smiled an awkward smile. "Now if you hard rockers don't mind, a girl needs some music for herself sometimes."

Sarah pulled the guitar back up and strummed a few chords and immediately began to laugh. "Its one of my favorites."

Complicated

She hoped Erik and Elijah would be able to come in just fine.

"Cool man," he said in response to his statement. Erik picked a spot to join in. He turned the gain up a little to give it more of a bite and modern sound. It definitely sounded more interesting with the violin. His fingers slid across the nickel and steel with the grace and flair of a blues musician, but without the skill. He hit some notes that weren't in the original song, but spiced things up a little bit, but that's what Erik did. His right hand would get bored.

OOC: I'd join with someone...but I really don't know a lot about modern music. Wait...nevermind. If the following is not possible, then ignore this post.

IC: A lone man was simply walking by the hall. As he passed under a street light, it illuminated his pale skin, shoulder-lenth black hair, and blue eyes dulled from a melancholy expression. He had a flute in his hand, on which he was playing a mournful tune. However, in a pause between bars, he heard music coming from the hall he was passing. Curiosity getting the better of him, he entered the building, searching for the source.

When he arrived at the source, he tentatively opened the door to the conservatory.

"Hullo?" he said timidly, when the current song ended. He shuffled his feet awkwardly, feeling a little grungy in the muddy shoes and the rags of clothing that could loosly be called pants and a shirt; though they were more than enough to preserve any modesty, they were dirt-stained and patched in so many places that holes were peeking out through some of the patches.

"I 'eard the music frum th'strait. Naid 'nuther pliyer? (Translated--I heard the music from the street. Need another player?)" he held up the flute, which was much better maintained than his clothing.

By the time Sarah, Erik and Elijah had finished her song a group was beginning to form around them, a drummer and then a flutist and their arrivals brought a smile to the Prime Minister's face. First she looked at the flutist, "Of course we need another player, always looking for more, where you from anyways? And after we're done here, how about I get you a decent set of clothes." The man seemed of good humor so Sarah hoped he would first take her up on the offer to get cleaned up after they were done playing and second that'd he be able to laugh about it. Then she turned to the drummer. "Introduce yourself too, don't be shy. A drummer's just as important as anyone else."

Picking up the guitar again she strummed, still happy from singing the last song and turned to the ensemble gathered around her and Erik. "Your guys choice. I'm up for anything."

Nikolai Romanov watches over the musicians from a chair in the back. He waits for the rest of them to be done. Known to few, Romanov has a very interesting Gift: He can sing in many styles. His guitar skills are lacking, but he knows a few songs well.

"I hate waiting for crowning ceremonys friends. I sneaked onto a train here. Mind if I play?"

By the time Sarah, Erik and Elijah had finished her song a group was beginning to form around them, a drummer and then a flutist and their arrivals brought a smile to the Prime Minister's face. First she looked at the flutist, "Of course we need another player, always looking for more, where you from anyways? And after we're done here, how about I get you a decent set of clothes." The man seemed of good humor so Sarah hoped he would first take her up on the offer to get cleaned up after they were done playing and second that'd he be able to laugh about it. Then she turned to the drummer. "Introduce yourself too, don't be shy. A drummer's just as important as anyone else."

Picking up the guitar again she strummed, still happy from singing the last song and turned to the ensemble gathered around her and Erik. "Your guys choice. I'm up for anything."

The man bowed his head respectfully. "Oim from 'ere an' thair, Mees, bu' Oi orignailly 'ails frum th'Laind Daiown Under." (I'm from here and there, miss, but I originally hail from the Land Down Under.) He paused for a moment, then smiled shyly. "Oi would 'preciate a neew setta clothes, mees. Thankee koindly. Oi bees Chairlie Deeckens." (I would appreciate a new set of clothes miss. Thank you kindly. I be Charlie Dickens.)

As Romanov began to sing, he put the flute to his lips and played along, the mood of the song matching what he'd been going through for so long...