Open letter to Planet Bob

Francesca

(OOC) This letter is regarding the way most people post on the forums. I don't know if this means I should put OOC tags on, so I'll put them there just in case.

This is not addressed to any particular alliance, as I think all alliances have these sorts of people in them.

Firstly, I am absolutely scathing about the little content that goes into many people's posts. If all you have to say is "o/ x alliance," then ffs, DON'T POST. Likewise, if all you have to say is "x alliance sucks," then guess what? ffs, DON'T POST. If you have justification for your hails or your condemnation of certain alliances, go ahead and post it. Then the justification you provide can be discussed and debated, and many of the lies on these boards can be addressed through evaluation of the evidence. You people don't seem to realise, but nobody is interested in your opinion without justification.

Secondly, a related issue to the first, I would like to point out that when certain people post people just point and laugh. For instance, I heartily dislike King Penchuk, but I am absolutely disgusted that when he occasionally presents good arguments people rebut them with a post like "lol penchuk" and consider the argument over. Regardless of who people are, regardless of whether you like them or not, you should take people's arguments seriously and rebut them properly. Yes, the identify of the person posting those comments is important, because perhaps they are being hypocritical. If this is the case, point it out to them, and say WHY.

If these basic guidelines are kept, it will make for a much more interesting time on these boards. Thank you, that is all. (OOC)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agreed, this type of stuff is really awful and kills the forums. "lol FAN" is probably the most blatant example, but seriously we need a minimum character count in post to cut this crap out. Real posts, no more spam or thoughtless put downs, I'de love to say the forums have degraded since I got here, but I think they've always been this way:(

This is DEFINITELY the first rant that has been posted on this subject. There is NO DOUBT that the forums will change as a result.

That isn't the point. If I persuade only one person to change their behaviour, I will consider this thread a success. Perhaps people haven't seen the previous threads on this topic.

Edited by Francesca

Naaa man, so long as nobody is breaking the rules, they should post as they like. I mean, you can always simply skip over the posts you don't like and avoid the threads you don't like altogether.

Maybe if you were being forced to read every thread, then yeah, you should get some say in what get's posted, but you're not.

I like rants and I like your opinion. I am personally rarely guilty of this, but understand that this habit will never disappear completely.

Maybe your rant will help a little. We will see.

o/ Francesca!!!!

Ha, ha, ha.

Naaa man, so long as nobody is breaking the rules, they should post as they like. I mean, you can always simply skip over the posts you don't like and avoid the threads you don't like altogether.

Maybe if you were being forced to read every thread, then yeah, you should get some say in what get's posted, but you're not.

(OOC) In real life, there are laws on more serious things like fraud, but there are none on politeness. However, people are still expected to conform to the unwritten rules of basic etiquette. Why should it be any different here? (OOC)

Thanks for telling me how I'm allowed to post.

Really, it was no problem.

(OOC) In real life, there are laws on more serious things like fraud, but there are none on politeness. However, people are still expected to conform to the unwritten rules of basic etiquette. Why should it be any different here? (OOC)

But what this post came down to is you listing a few things you don't like that people here do, and then you asked them to stop. IRL that's not always polite, either...

I do understand where you're coming from, despite my previous snarky response, and I agree with you to a certain point, but IMO it still comes down to you listing things that people do that you don't like, and trying to get people to change. You're entitled to ask people to change, but they are equally entitled to continue doing the things you dislike.

But what this post came down to is you listing a few things you don't like that people here do, and then you asked them to stop. IRL that's not always polite, either...

(OOC) If someone is not following basic etiquette in real life, I will ask them to stop doing whatever it is that I dislike. I don't think that's impoliteness on my part. (OOC)

I do understand where you're coming from, despite my previous snarky response, and I agree with you to a certain point, but IMO it still comes down to you listing things that people do that you don't like, and trying to get people to change. You're entitled to ask people to change, but they are equally entitled to continue doing the things you dislike.

They can continue behaving in that way if they wish, I can't stop them. It's a matter of whether they "should" or not, and I have outlined my views on what etiquette is, because so many people appear to have forgotten.

Those who post so egregiously in the manner you describe will only post because of the reaction they elicit, including reactionary threads such as this. In a game with absolutely no real life consequence (except when you donate, and if you do, you will at least keep within those limits,) one cannot seriously expect every single post to conform to your standards of decency. For one thing, this politeness you speak of, there are as many interpretations of that concept as there are posts in the thread in question. For instance, my interpretation of politeness excludes angry threads that attempt to dictate my behavior with relatively little reasoning. Because I find your thread so offensive, I will now proceed to troll you.

Pigeon feces.

Am I doin it rite?

Those who post so egregiously in the manner you describe will only post because of the reaction they elicit, including reactionary threads such as this.

I disagree. People who post without content don't do it for "reactionary threads such as this one," they do it simply without thinking. That is what I am encouraging them to stop doing.

In a game with absolutely no real life consequence (except when you donate, and if you do, you will at least keep within those limits,) one cannot seriously expect every single post to conform to your standards of decency.

You haven't adequately explained why that is.

For one thing, this politeness you speak of, there are as many interpretations of that concept as there are posts in the thread in question. For instance, my interpretation of politeness excludes angry threads that attempt to dictate my behavior with relatively little reasoning. Because I find your thread so offensive, I will now proceed to troll you.

(OOC) Subjectivity of etiquette is an issue, however I remind you that the vast majority of people who play this game and read these forums adhere to a particular type of etiquette in real life. I am presenting my views on what that etiquette involves. (OOC) I find it depressing that in a thread that is dedicated to trying to eradicate trolling, you go out of your way to troll it.

Pigeon feces.

No comment.

Edited by Francesca