Petition for Coldfront IRC admin

Jingoist

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a thought how about u step away from the computer turn it off and get a life

Gotta love these arguments. "Oh dear, you want FIVE IRC NICKS!!! YOU HAVE NO LIFE!!!" :rolleyes:

In response to Arloria and others, I think most people just want their normal AFK nick to be registered. For example, mine is Bama[AFK|Gov]. A lot of people who know me know that I use that nick. So they'd be inclined to trust someone using it, perhaps assuming (correctly in my case, but not always so in others) that it's registered and has nick-kill on. Now, Bama|TOOLgov-AFK or some other variant would probably at least make them do a WHOIS before telling "me" anything important.

For the record, I'm good with four. I'm just stating why I think some people want more.

-Bama

bros mentioned something about this before and how it may not be possible to raise the limit.

That said I don't see the need for more than 4 nicks, it's pretty annoying as it is when a channel is full of XXX is now known as XXX|shower, XXX|shower is now known as XXX|insertactivityhere.

(Don't bother telling me that this thread isn't directed at me please.)

Interestingly as founder of all Vox channels I have absolutely no bloody clue what you're talking about. You'd think they'd come to me or that there'd be a post on our forum if they had come to any of us but instead they sent an NPO grunt to give us a vague message in a hardly-related thread on the CN forums. Fascinating.

I just might sig this.

Also, you really don't need more thank 4 linked nicks.

1 for when your on IRC (Mine is baseballer790[NpO])

1 for when your afk (Mine is baseballer790[NpOut] ...see what i did thar?)

1 for when you are at school/work (Mine is baseballer790[school])

And 1 for when you are sleeping (Mine is baseballer790[sleep])

And that's all I really need. And yes, I keep mIRC running when I'm asleep.

Sorry about the double post :/

All I need is one.

When I go to sleep, I like, you know, close the client.

When I go to class, I like, you know, close the client.

When I go to work, I like, you know, close the client.

When I'm away, it's pretty obvious because I'm ignoring you.

Edited by Chief Savage Man

All I need is one.

When I go to sleep, I like, you know, close the client.

When I go to class, I like, you know, close the client.

When I go to work, I like, you know, close the client.

When I'm away, it's pretty obvious because I'm ignoring you.

That's the best way to do it.

because it simply isn't.

jingoist

tiznoast

afknoast

beernoast

what happens if i want one with my alliance tag in it? what happens when i want to be sleepnoast or showernoast or gonenoast or similar? what happens if i were like one of the many who are highly active in both CN and CN:TE, then i have two nicks for each game? god forbid i should play CN, CN:TE and other games also, and use CF for all of them out of convenience... it's just not enough to have four.

zomg, HAI tiznoast!!! Haven't talked to you in forever :wub:

Why does this thread even exist? I mean seriously, you have a nick for when your there and one for when your away. That's all you really need. Why the crap would you need more then that?

BECAUSE IT'S FUN. Do I really need any more reason than that? This petition isn't a demand, it's a request. And as others have pointed out, other networks allow more than 4, so having more than 4 possible isn't unprecedented.

/s/

PrincessRo|Xanadu

bros mentioned something about this before and how it may not be possible to raise the limit.

That said I don't see the need for more than 4 nicks, it's pretty annoying as it is when a channel is full of XXX is now known as XXX|shower, XXX|shower is now known as XXX|insertactivityhere.

With certain clients you can set a channel to 'conference mode', which hides all nick changes and joins/parts. Some (like chatzilla) have a threshold for how many before it does it automatically.

BECAUSE IT'S FUN. Do I really need any more reason than that? This petition isn't a demand, it's a request.

Then allow me be the first to say its a stupid and unnecessary request.

We haven't had a good history with IRC servers. I see no reason to ask them to change their entire server's practices because a segment of their clientele, with a reputation for breaking their IRC rules, wants to have 15 registered nicks.

without being too much of an $@! about it, we lost our chance to have more in syn and esper. we're on coldfront now, and thats their rules.

With certain clients you can set a channel to 'conference mode', which hides all nick changes and joins/parts. Some (like chatzilla) have a threshold for how many before it does it automatically.

Then allow me be the first to say its a stupid and unnecessary request.

We haven't had a good history with IRC servers. I see no reason to ask them to change their entire server's practices because a segment of their clientele, with a reputation for breaking their IRC rules, wants to have 15 registered nicks.

without being too much of an $@! about it, we lost our chance to have more in syn and esper. we're on coldfront now, and thats their rules.

Precisely. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with having that many nicks (though I entirely fail to understand the need) but asking a server to change their policy because a very small number of people want a very large number of nicks is ridiculous.

Edited by Moridin

Personally, I don't see how that's very annoying. With my channel, if people are changing their nicks constantly or people are coming in and out, most likely, the chan is already dead, so it's not a bother. When I'm hanging in #nsa, same thing, but on a much larger scale. So I don't really see how it's annoying.

And having more linked nicks really wouldn't change this so-called "nick spam" because, if you actually think, you can change what's linked and not. That's what I do when I decide to use a nick I don't have linked; I take off one to fill that spot with another.

Having more links would certainly be more convenient, but it's fairly useless. I just have to use three commands instead of one when changing nicks (and that's a rarity, since I only use about three nicks, which are linked).

Signed. Arturion[F]

And yes, I do have need for more than 4 linked nicks:

Arturion[F]

Arturion[F]afk

Arturion[F]{Laptop} <-- sometimes running at the same time as another nick

Arturion <-- useful when I'm in non-CN channels

PirateBot <-- a bot that I run alongside my IRC client.

Increasing the limit doesn't harm anyone, so I really don't see why it shouldn't be increased. The "I don't need more than 2, why would anyone need more than 4?" arguments have no substance.