Lacuna Populi

Chunky Monkey

Lacuna Populi, obviously latin, translates to "words of the people". The intent of this publication is to present various viewpoints on matters that affect the nations of CN, a collection of scholarly writings, if you will. This first volume drew exclusively from Vox Populi for its content, but submission of articles from anyone (which I will discuss at the end) is highly encouraged. I intend this to be a regularly distibuted (read: biweekly) publication, but obviously it is content driven, so I'll try my best to keep to the schedule but no guarantees. Anyways, without futher delay, some writings:

The Power Superstructure

I. Introduction

During my involvement with the Vox Populi movement, I have coined and begun to use a term, Power Superstructure, which may seem to simply put a new face on old terms like hegemony or old concepts like boredom or lack of competition; however, the Power Superstructure holds depth and width of meaning far beyond these related or predecessor terms. Once defined, the Power Superstructure concept is understood to hold sway over nearly all Digiterran facets; from the way individuals define themselves to the reason alliances go to war.

II. Linguistic Mechanics

In our bold new Digiterran landscape, old words and terms take on new meanings, and new ones crop up to define our world; so how do we define and use this new term Power Superstructure?

a. Definition.

The Power Superstructure is an overarching political system which utilizes the several Control Structures upon which it is built to influence global events to the fulfillment of its Dual Nature.

i. The Control Structures are Alliances, the MDP Web, one Super-Bloc, Team Senates, and Influential Individuals

ii. The superstructure’s Dual Nature is self-replication and self-preservation.

iii. The Means of Control are the tools with which Control Structures fulfill the Dual Nature. They are: Information, Communication, War/Threat of War, Aid, Sanctions, Treaties, Morality, and Extradigiterrestrial Measures

b. Usage.

Due to the superstructure’s inextricability from its structures, one might easily reference it erroneously. A “superstructure” is always atop many supporting structures and cannot exist without them; however, that dependence is not reciprocated—the Power Superstructure is no different. As such, when a Control Structure is in play, it is only said to be a superstructure action where the Dual Nature is being served. For example, an alliance can go to war with another alliance, but that war is only said to be a result of Power Superstructure influence if that war ultimately replicates or preserves the superstructure in some way; therefore, not all war is a superstructure action, only war which serves the Dual Nature. The same test is applicable to all exertions of power by a Control Structure.

Schattenmann intends to continue his discussion in upcoming issues, and I will include all previous writings in each new publication to keep everyone on the same page.

Anti-Imperialism aka "Voxism"

As you have no doubt noted by now, Pacifica and Vox are two organizations that are vehemently, ideologically opposed to one another. Our philosophies being no exception. While Mobuis_1 attempted to unite our two outlooks under Francoism, he ultimately perverted Francoism in ways unimaginable, and skewed the idea so much so that it would be the most ridiculous thing ever published. No, Vox has its own philosophy, one that is entirely on the opposite side of the spectrum.

We have read tons of works which refer to “Francoism” a philosophy which deals with the absurdity of the nation existing within the state of nature, and thus, why nations must rid themselves of the natural, anarchic, state. In essence, the philosophy’s main point is this: If you want to build up your nation, join Pacifica, since if you do not, you will be tech raided, not have guides, etc, etc.

The main purposes of Francoism are obviously utilitarian and pragmatic. It exists for the sole purpose of building a nation up, and making it as perfect as possible. It exists so that the physical well-being of the nation is kept.

The Francoist mindset is that a perfect world may be created if all nations withdraw from the state of nature, join under the Emperor of the Order, and then, proceed to build up their nations. Then, through use of mutual protection, these nations protect one another from any and all outside force. Of course, in the perfect Francoist world, there is no outside force, as they have all joined Pacifica, or at the very least, allied with them.

If Francoism does indeed create the perfect world, suffering is eliminated. All nations will build up, and will keep building up. The non-existence of threats will not deter the building of nations. As they build without challenge, they will reach incredible heights. 20k infrastructure, and more will eventually be reached. All nations that have the ability to keep building, will build up to these levels. All nations that continue to exist will reach levels that were formerly unimaginable. Newer nations will begin at low levels, but with even a slight resolve, will grow to those unforeseen heights.

But this growth will mean nothing. These stats will mean nothing. Without the fragility that formally existed to challenge this growth, without an outside force to actually challenge the nation, the stats become meaningless. There is no reason to have them other than an empty feeling of compensation for having existed for as long as you have. An one hundred year old man with no actual accomplishments, as it were.

Happiness, art, triumph, glory, and strength, can only be achieved via suffering. We are happy when we overcome an obstacle. We create art out of our suffering. We triumph over challenges, and receive glory. These obstacles then add to our strength, for what does not kill us, only serves to strengthen us. Polaris is clear proof of that. Pacifica and Polaris post GWI, was clear proof of that.

Therefore, the first tenant of Voxism is that suffering must exist, and that preferably, it exists in equal measure to pleasure. The creation of super-hegemonies to counter suffering, are nothing but limiters to this goal.

This brings me to why Francoism itself is an intolerable philosophy. As we can see, Francoism is nothing but the maintaining of stats and of the nature of growth of nations. It precludes nothing more. It is a physical, meaningless existence. By creating, or attempting to create, a perfect world, Francoism destroys all meaning in two ways. First, it reduces to world to the physical strength of nations, and second, it creates limits which should not exist.

Therefore, instead of focusing on nothing but their physical existence, the nations of Vox, or nations following Voxism have the responsibility of putting ideals first, before physical existence. In doing so, Voxism nations refuse to enter the Social Contract that is Francoism, and thus, forcibly create an opposition to that of the Perfect world.

This is not to say that Pacifica doesn’t create suffering. No, it does indeed inflict suffering on those that are much weaker than it, with the intention of removing those from the world entirely, OR, as we saw with Legion, forcing them to side with Pacifica, thus adding to the creation of the perfect world. Pacifica creates suffering as a means to the end of ending suffering. This end must be avoided at all costs.

It should also be noted that this suffering doesn’t exist in a method that could threaten Pacifica. It does not exist in equal measure to pleasure. This in turn still allows Pacifica to act with net benefits achieved, which will slowly end suffering as we know it.

Therefore, for the sake of this world to maintain its meaning, we must act. All of us must act. Our physical well being of our nations is irrelevant. If we have no meaning, is suicide not permissible? If we have no meaning, then why should we continue to live? So, for the sake of our existence, we must rebel.

Life in itself is rebellion.

How Vox is Winning the War

By Nintenderek

Many times a day, jokes are made on IRC and the forums about Vox Populi. When newcomers to the Cybernations forums make topics asking which alliance to join, people tell them Vox Populi, so that they may lose their pixels. The people are ignorant of the fact that Vox Populi is indeed winning the current war.

First off, I must quote Vladmir, “What is it to win? To achieve your original goals?” from his document on The Great Patriotic War, also known as Great War 1. He later goes on about this in the same essay, “What about the Orders' original goals? Given the discussion with GATO and the ODN mentioned in the previous section, it was explicitly to teach LUE a lesson, if not destroy them completely, and this has never been denied. Were they punished? The fact that it is difficult to say would suggest not as much as the Orders would have liked. While their strength plummeted and a wave of defeatism washed over them in the early days, arguably 'teaching them a lesson' about what they did, they nevertheless emerged as a centre-point in the coaluetion and built up a significant influence as a result -- something that was perhaps more important to them. If the war had gone on there is little doubt in my mind that LUE would have been left to fight alone and would have been destroyed, but this isn't what occurred, as the Order took the strategic option and instead destroyed them some 6 months later.”

Indeed, Vladmir has solid points for why the Orders won that war, but how can it compare to this one? This battle, this war of ideologies. If Vladmir’s point holds solid, is Vox winning the current war?

From a statistical standpoint, Vox Populi is indeed losing this war. Many of the Vox Populi soldiers have bled and died for their nations and alliances. Many nations of Vox Populi have lost most of their infrastructure, and Vox Populi has very little total nation strength, exactly 162,327 as of the time of this being written, compared to 21,490,433, with just the New Pacific Order alone, not counting all of their allies which are also against Vox Populi.

But statistics mean very little in war, as the side with less causalities or more NS can often surrender for various reasons. What matters are the goals, as Vladmir has stated in The Great Patriotic War and You. Vox Populi has had many goals during it’s life time. It took a red senate seat. It gained almost 300 members in under a week. It has formed a government from anarchy. It has infiltrated many of the TOP alliances, including most of the sanctioned ones. It has shown many people the light, and brought many people to the realization that the Global Hegemony needs to go.

But what of the Order’s goals? What of the goals of the Global Hegemony? They have had but one goal all along, as Moo made clear in this statement from August 28th, 2008.

“The People's Government has recently outlawed the existence of the terrorist group known as Vox Populi. The bombing will begin in five minutes.”

Their goal has been to eliminate us all along. But we are alive. Vox Populi still exists. They have not fulfilled their goals in this ideological war. As such, under their own logic, Vox Populi is winning this war.

Vox Populi still exists to this day. Only if Vox Populi ceases to exist will the New Pacific Order ever win this war. Our goals have been accomplished, with our ultimate goal still being worked on. So, members of Planet Bob, make your jokes of Vox being a failure and keep telling the people you dislike to join Vox. Vox is winning the Vox Resistance movement under the Order’s own logic. Vox still exists, ready to finally win this final war for the Order.

As I mentioned earlier, I promised that I would accept submitted publications from anyone, provided they fit with the theme and purpose of this publication. Here are some general guidelines to follow.

• All papers must be submitted via PM/email at the latest one day before the publication is posted.
  • All papers must include the formatting to make them look like you want them to. Please put it in "code" blocks so I can just copy and paste.
  • I reserve the right to save your paper for a future publication and/or deny it completely.
  • You can write about anything that relates to CN, from opinion to historical analysis, all types of writing are welcome.
  • Because of the advantage of having an internet publication, all forms of media are welcome.
  • If you want to remain anonymous in your authorship, you can let me know when you submit your article.
  • Articles may also be submitted via email to voxhotline@gmail.com .

If youve gotten this far and you read everything, great, I applaud you and hope you have something to say/discuss regarding our papers. If youve gotten this far and didn't read any of it, and dont have anything constructive to say, I ask that you please refrain from saying it at all.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Therefore, instead of focusing on nothing but their physical existence, the nations of Vox, or nations following Voxism have the responsibility of putting ideals first, before physical existence.

One bit that always strikes me here on PB is how self-preservation is placed above everything else, with very, very rare exceptions, and most of those are in "irrelevant" or soon to be "irrelevant" alliances. Explains it all, really.

edit: soone? ;)

Edited by Kronuso

Hmm, pretty good I would say.

Schattenman has not fully developed his idea, obviously, so it is tough to say. Although creating a new way of saying what already exists seems unlikely to be useful to me, at this point.

MegAros, I would say that existence and happiness require struggle, not suffering, but that may simply be a difference in terminology, not in intended meaning.

Nintenderek, I would say Vox is not losing. The "power superstructure" still exists. Moreover, you cannot define success for your own side and then claim success after not having accomplished it. You seem to be basing succeeding/winning as denying NPO the ability to destroy you, but that is not the motive or goal which initially drove you. You fail to realize that neither side has won at this point, in my opinion.

Edited by schmutte693

Nintenderek, I would say Vox is not losing. The "power superstructure" still exists. Moreover, you cannot define success for your own side and then claim success after not having accomplished it. You seem to be basing succeeding/winning as denying NPO the ability to destroy you, but that is not the motive or goal which initially drove you. You fail to realize that neither side has won at this point, in my opinion.

He said "winning" not won. Our goals are survival and using language to erode the superstructure, which we are accomplishing in my opinion.

Hmm, pretty good I would say.

Schattenman has not fully developed his idea, obviously, so it is tough to say. Although creating a new way of saying what already exists seems unlikely to be useful to me, at this point.

Heh. The first draft of the portion posted started out as a nearly-5 pages long monster. Previews sent to friends for review were unamimous in their cry for mercy.

The unfinished portion will examine a global event through the Power Superstructure perspective.

"New way of saying what already exists" is, to my mind, far from what I am doing, in parring it down I may have cut too deep.

While we have referred to "global hegemony" for a long time, the Power Superstructure goes beyond that, from a passive state of the world to an active organism that shapes the world.

Someone needs a better dicionary because lacuna means missing letters, words, or phrases in a manuscript :lol:

The word is still used in some latin language speaking countries, specially in south europe.

Seriously, just becase your knowledge of latin (derived no doubt from wikipedia) does not include "Lacuna Populi" as "Words of the people" does not mean it cannot be so. Please take your issues with my phrase up with the latin translator that gave it to me, and kindly dont post it here.

Vox Populi has had many goals during it’s life time. It took a red senate seat. It gained almost 300 members in under a week. It has formed a government from anarchy. It has infiltrated many of the TOP alliances, including most of the sanctioned ones. It has shown many people the light, and brought many people to the realization that the Global Hegemony needs to go.

Couldn't keep the senate; couldn't keep the membership; that's not a goal; until something comes of it that doesn't matter AND is unprovable; and from looking at your membership totals, I don't think you've shown too many people much of anything.

He said "winning" not won. Our goals are survival and using language to erode the superstructure, which we are accomplishing in my opinion.

New treaties are being signed every day. The New Pacific Order has not lost any treaties since... the OoO?

Edited by Geoffron X

MegAros, I would say that existence and happiness require struggle, not suffering, but that may simply be a difference in terminology, not in intended meaning.

You are correct, but without suffering, there exists no method to create a struggle.

Couldn't keep the senate; couldn't keep the membership; that's not a goal; until something comes of it that doesn't matter AND is unprovable; and from looking at your membership totals, I don't think you've shown too many people much of anything.

Thank you for Opportunity #43 to point out the difference between "no longer fielding a candidate on Red because we're moving teams" and "couldn't keep the senate".

"No longer fielding a Red senator because we're moving to Yellow" is what Vox Populi did.

"Couldnt' keep the senate" is what NPO did.

As for membership numbers, there are three types of Vox Populi: Overt, Covert, Supporters. Our Overt membership is no longer 300. Our Covert membership is none of well, it is your business, but it's not for you to know. Our Supporters are more than you care to acknowledge.

What matters are the goals, as Vladmir has stated in The Great Patriotic War and You.

Oh for the love of... have you been talking to President ShinRa again? It don't recommend it. This is not in any way what I argued, in fact the section you quoted itself argues that the Orders didn't achieve their objectives -- the very next sentence is "With neither side achieving their original goals ..." -- so how could that point go on to argue that they won?

My argument was that the Orders won the war because they were winning the military battle. How so many people have missed this I can't even begin to fathom, especially since it was repeated ad nauseum in the original thread. So, if you intend to use my position to judge Vox's "war" (if it can even be called that) then I'm afraid it has been a rather crushing defeat for Vox. Sorry.

MegaAros was also way off base in his attempt to understand Francoism (really I never thought it was all that hard), the point of which is not to gain more and more national strength (something I explicitly and rather loudly noted in a Vox thread just a few weeks ago) but to reduce conflict (physical and otherwise) so as to increase freedom -- the freedom of potential -- and thus civilisation. While physical strength is important for an alliance as a means to peace and prosperity, it is not the focus of Francoism and never has been.

There is a lot more wrong with MegaAros's post than just his understanding of Francoism, but unfortunately time is short. Perhaps later.

And since I've addressed the other two I might as well give Schattenmann a nod; wouldn't want him to feel left out. From my reading of this rather crude attempt to coin a new term the point is basically to say that if something helps the NPO it is part of the 'power superstructure' and thus bad (taken in coordination with MegaAros's rehashed nonsense about 'balance' -- at least the wording has moved on since Walford, even if nothing else has), and if something opposes it is not a part of the 'power superstructure' and thus either neutral or good. Seems a bit redundant when you could just cut out the middleman say 'NPO suxxors' instead.

It's similar in that they are papers used to justify the Vox position, but they will never be used to justify actions that are outright outrageous.

Well, you can't justify actions that you can't commit because you really have no power to commit the actions in the first place.

Seriously, just becase your knowledge of latin (derived no doubt from wikipedia) does not include "Lacuna Populi" as "Words of the people" does not mean it cannot be so. Please take your issues with my phrase up with the latin translator that gave it to me, and kindly dont post it here.

Or maybe my mother language still uses that word, but what do I know :P

I PMed you the evidence lol

Heh. Whatever helps you sleep at night, kiddo.

New treaties are being signed every day. The New Pacific Order has not lost any treaties since... the OoO?

Franco is so proud.

is this the vox version of francoism?

[18:45] <Dilber|dinner> He also considers us to have fallen from the path of Francoism

[18:45] <Doitzel> everyone accuses everyone of that

[18:46] <Dilber|dinner> I know

[18:46] <Doitzel> it's like the NPO's version of the IC/OOC line

[18:46] <Dilber|dinner> Ironically, it's kinda hard for us to do so, cause the creator of it is vlad

[18:46] <Dilber|dinner> heh

[18:46] <Dilber|dinner> Francoism is technically what vlad says

[18:46] <Doitzel> I feel like I'm the only one who gets that sometimes, heh

[18:47] <Dilber|dinner> heh

[18:47] <Dilber|dinner> no

[18:47] <Doitzel> outside the Imperial staff, that is

[18:47] <Dilber|dinner> It's a good code to follow

[18:47] <Dilber|dinner> but it's always been flexible

[18:47] <Dilber|dinner> It pretty much boils down to "honor and what's good for pacifica"

Since we're clearly not looking out for what's best for us, at least in such a carnal way as NPO: no. We actually have convictions beyond "what we do is right because Vladimir says so".