The Real Legion Story of GW3

Lord Swampy

Huh. Yeah, we really thought IRON was going to come in on our side. Wow, we were more wrong than I had any idea.

And I could have sworn that NAAC disbanded before Legion surrendered, but Blacky, I think you're right about why I was confused. There were definitely a number of alliances who disbanded during the end of the war though. But see, this is more of why I'm glad I did this: I'm already getting mixed up in my old age! :psyduck:

Hymenbreach, our teachers are a large part of who we are. VL was my teacher and role model. He taught me a lot about being a leader, about sacrifice, and about putting the alliance's well-being first. Those are good lessons, and time and again throughout my time leading Legion I thought back to him and the things he had taught me, including during my dealings with Valhalla.

VL's record wasn't as clean as I'd like it to be either--but you'll have to wait for Episode III to find out more there. /teaser

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I remember the animosities with Legion from Valhalla as I had to deal with it quite a bit.

Calling OBR special and us not was a really stupid thing to do (and granting them an embassy and us not one). No wonder we hated you. :)

Huh. Yeah, we really thought IRON was going to come in on our side. Wow, we were more wrong than I had any idea.

To be fair, we did (albeit begrudgingly) uphold our (mostly forgotton) piat when you requested aid and sent several hundred million to legion to help pay off reps post GWIII. NPO held that against us for months. It's because of you and loss that we don't sign piats anymore. Just so you know.

Also we were far more likely to have joined in GWII but when one of our friend alliances (we didn't have mdps but we had friends) was attacked by NoR, but when we noticed this was in response to them attacking an ally of theres we cooled down somewhat. Not long after, legion invited us into #VL to try and help put pressure on NPO to back off but by that stage we had cooled off and didn't care as much. Later in the chat VL put on a miniskirt and danced.

Your memories are a perfect example of how ridiculously far people take this game waaay too seriously.

Thanks for dropping by to add nothing to the discourse.

I, for one, was not around for these events and I really like to read about them, especially from different points of view.

Nicely done, Lord Swampy, I look forward to your next installment.

Regards,

VI

To be fair, we did (albeit begrudgingly) uphold our (mostly forgotton) piat when you requested aid and sent several hundred million to legion to help pay off reps post GWIII. NPO held that against us for months. It's because of you and loss that we don't sign piats anymore. Just so you know.

Also we were far more likely to have joined in GWII but when one of our friend alliances (we didn't have mdps but we had friends) was attacked by NoR, but when we noticed this was in response to them attacking an ally of theres we cooled down somewhat. Not long after, legion invited us into #VL to try and help put pressure on NPO to back off but by that stage we had cooled off and didn't care as much. Later in the chat VL put on a miniskirt and danced.

Yes, you did uphold your treaty. And the Legion really, really appreciated that. The canceling it pretty much right afterward, less so. But we understood. VL did put on a miniskirt and dance. He was a great dancer in his day.

One of the projects the two of us attempted the rest of the war was trying to build enough evidence that Heft was leaking information to NPO from IRON and our side’s private channel, but by the time furseiseki and I had enough the war was almost over and she said Sister Midnight, then President of IRON, was in denial about Heft even after chewing him out for leaking information to NPO. Ever since he ran to Philosopher with private Aegis intel, I never really trusted or respected Heft.

Reading this, I can't help but think "If they had put all that effort into the war maybe they wouldn't have come out quite as bad." Especially since the only thing I leaked to Philosopher was something like "Really? Because she told me that they were attacking...." Though, being invited into #sanctum afterward (which was a massive channel and surely riddled with leaks everywhere) and having like ten people immediately erupt in violent protest was rather entertaining. At least people knew my name, right? Besides, "Heft is an NPO spy!" was an IRON joke the moment I put in my application, and continued to be so for a very long time. SM wasn't in denial, she and I had been close ever since I was the diplomat almost a year before that war started. It's not exactly surprising she trusted me over you.

Very nice piece. The IRON part was really interesting. The GATO leaders at the time seemed to think that IRON had lost its mind, spending time with the NPO instead of backing GATO.

A number of the Aegis people seemed to think that IRON (and hell even GPA) were for some reason supposed to join them, presumably because the NPO and Initiative were evil and mean and bad and we would take the opportunity to throw off the yoke of WUT Oppression or whatever. They didn't seem to realize that we never felt oppressed. At the time, IRON and NPO had a more or less cordial, yet somewhat distant, relationship. None of us really liked GATO, and we weren't particularly fond of a number of other Aegis alliances. We just never went around telling people what we really thought about them (or talking to them much at all). Yet when war came around suddenly they were our allies and friends and they wanted to talk to us. To be fair, the NPO at that point didn't talk to us much before the war started either, except for a few person connections (i.e, Shan/Dilber Shan/Doitzel), but they didn't expect us to put our nations on the line for them, either. I also don't think people realized how undemocratic IRON is, because there were people who would try to sell the war as a last stand for democracy while trying to get me to support it. If they knew anything about IRON or myself, they would have understood how terrible an argument that was to use.

Also, there was someone that kept querying me on IRC with that terrible "first they came for X" poem, which also kept getting posted and sigged everywhere. I hate that poem, and I'm pretty sure at a certain point we were half-jokingly considering attacking whoever used it next (only half-jokingly). For the record, it's a terrible poem and should never be used or reproduced ever.

It's true, IRON hasn't signed a single PIAT since then. It also provided the impetus for us to create our treaty library because record keeping is really helpful.

As a member of an alliance which did enter GW3 'because the NPO and Initiative were evil and mean and bad and we would take the opportunity to throw off the yoke of WUT Oppression or whatever', this thread is interesting.

Taking information to the other side is never the right answer for an alliance which claims to be neutral, though.

It's a good look at what was going on back then inside the Legion for those who weren't there. I remember the election, and throwing myself in for DPM as a joke. I remember that one or two people actually voted for me.

Nonetheless, what you did to VL, and especially Great Britain, was unforgivable. I'm surprised there's actually another chapter to this story about the Legion, since it's been dead since then.

My understanding is the Legion surrendered on the 10th of April. The NAAC fought until the 14th and was the last combatant to leave the Aegis side of the conflict.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/...showtopic=63831 <--- Legion Surrender

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/...=64609&st=0 <--- NAAC disbandment

Ofcourse I think I understand what you mean and what you have confused. At the time NPO gave Grub the most humiliating terms, roughly about the same time and they were posted on the AP section of the OWF to point that fact out. It also indicated that the NAAC was about ready to leave the conflict at the time.

But due to the ridiculous terms, and the NAAC's resolve to see the war to it's end they were never accepted.

Otherwise that was great work. Please write more.

The NAAC entered the war to defend GATO, a decision I hated at the time, but one we were bound to because I hadn't canceled our treaty when I had both the motivation and reason to do so. When GATO surrendered without discussing it with me, I canceled our treaty as a symbolic gesture even though we were disbanding.

The NPO did not offer terms to the NAAC, the terms were offered by Electron Sponge, who knew we had already made the decision to disband. That decision was made very early into the war. Arctic and I, along with many others, knew that the NAAC would not get another chance to fight a war in the manner we wished to, the gap was growing larger every time we stepped up to fight for an ally, so we left rather than become irrelevant like GATO and Legion are today. The terms offered had nothing to do with us disbanding, however the stupid terms were never going to be accepted either. Moving an alliance to pink...c'mon.

I read with interest in the OP regarding Legions leadership being assumed by Aegis. I nearly wet myself. The arrogance of Legion, their condescending nature and their assertion at the time that they were the leader despite the fact they couldn't oganize a chook raffle was one of the reasons I knew I was not continuing with that side of the web post war. I have never seen so much rubbish spoken in my life as VL in that era, apart from Walford in GW2. A pair of arrogant idiots who should have never been allowed control of the cookie jar let alone their alliances fate permanently screwed their alliances with their idiotic assertions of superiority.

I am always interested in recollections from this era, please keep them coming. It was the golden age for this game IMO.

Reading this, I can't help but think "If they had put all that effort into the war maybe they wouldn't have come out quite as bad." Especially since the only thing I leaked to Philosopher was something like "Really? Because she told me that they were attacking...." Though, being invited into #sanctum afterward (which was a massive channel and surely riddled with leaks everywhere) and having like ten people immediately erupt in violent protest was rather entertaining. At least people knew my name, right? Besides, "Heft is an NPO spy!" was an IRON joke the moment I put in my application, and continued to be so for a very long time. SM wasn't in denial, she and I had been close ever since I was the diplomat almost a year before that war started. It's not exactly surprising she trusted me over you.

Actually, it was furseiseki who talked with her, not me. She was the one who game me logs from Philosopher's conversation with you about /b/ entering the war right after it got discussed in #Sanctum. And I'm not surprised at all that it was a very leaky channel. You were the leak I knew about and personally tried to deal with in order to get IRON to join the war. And I agree with Bob Janova about neutrality.

Far as I can understand, I think Aegis folks kept inviting IRON into the channels because we thought you'd join us in the war. Like most matters of the conflict, we were quite wrong. :lol:

The NAAC entered the war to defend GATO, a decision I hated at the time, but one we were bound to because I hadn't canceled our treaty when I had both the motivation and reason to do so. When GATO surrendered without discussing it with me, I canceled our treaty as a symbolic gesture even though we were disbanding.

The NPO did not offer terms to the NAAC, the terms were offered by Electron Sponge, who knew we had already made the decision to disband. That decision was made very early into the war. Arctic and I, along with many others, knew that the NAAC would not get another chance to fight a war in the manner we wished to, the gap was growing larger every time we stepped up to fight for an ally, so we left rather than become irrelevant like GATO and Legion are today. The terms offered had nothing to do with us disbanding, however the stupid terms were never going to be accepted either. Moving an alliance to pink...c'mon.

I read with interest in the OP regarding Legions leadership being assumed by Aegis. I nearly wet myself. The arrogance of Legion, their condescending nature and their assertion at the time that they were the leader despite the fact they couldn't oganize a chook raffle was one of the reasons I knew I was not continuing with that side of the web post war. I have never seen so much rubbish spoken in my life as VL in that era, apart from Walford in GW2. A pair of arrogant idiots who should have never been allowed control of the cookie jar let alone their alliances fate permanently screwed their alliances with their idiotic assertions of superiority.

I am always interested in recollections from this era, please keep them coming. It was the golden age for this game IMO.

No one led Aegis effectively in that war. That was one of the big problems. And I wish I had been there at the same time VL was to see some of what he said in the channel, but time zones and schedules made that very rare. And now that you mention it, I remember at the end of the war, Walford approaching me about "harnessing the power of the NONE" alliance. He sounded like a bad Sunny Delight commercial. :rolleyes:

And shh, Cataduanes. We don't talk about that here. :)

Edited by Lord Swampy

Swampy, great story (I love reading the backstory of what was going on while I was but rising up in CN from my newbie state), but I'd like to correct one of the finer points, one in which I was very intimately involved with.

The membership backlash from those who wanted to stand with GATO against NPO snowballed until some were calling for VL’s impeachment.

The impeachment was more because due process was not followed. In fact, the two of us who pushed hard for impeachment both wanted the MDP gone (Atlashill can attest to this fact) but also felt that people should've been more pissed that the proper processes weren't followed. Since then... I learned that charters which are limiting suck major $@! and also regret that mistake, for it was arguably the #1 reason why that MDP was never canceled (since VL didn't want to do a 3rd vote).

I don't even remember too clearly what the terms were I offered. I know that several of them I was laughing out loud as I typed them. Those were never intended to be anything but a joke, since as you mentioned I already knew that NAAC was going buhbye.

I don't even remember too clearly what the terms were I offered. I know that several of them I was laughing out loud as I typed them. Those were never intended to be anything but a joke, since as you mentioned I already knew that NAAC was going buhbye.

I still have the logs... good times

Swampy, great story (I love reading the backstory of what was going on while I was but rising up in CN from my newbie state), but I'd like to correct one of the finer points, one in which I was very intimately involved with.

The impeachment was more because due process was not followed. In fact, the two of us who pushed hard for impeachment both wanted the MDP gone (Atlashill can attest to this fact) but also felt that people should've been more pissed that the proper processes weren't followed. Since then... I learned that charters which are limiting suck major $@! and also regret that mistake, for it was arguably the #1 reason why that MDP was never canceled (since VL didn't want to do a 3rd vote).

Hmm. Well, that's a good note to understand, SoL. I do remember you being the loudest voice for impeachment, and the other loud voices were mostly shouting to stand with GATO in their time of need.

I really opposed releasing terms at all. We all knew that you had decided to disband, as you had told us. I still wish we hadn't. But yeah, they were just kind of a joke I guess. Honestly, disbandment was the best option for you, although I still wish you'd stayed. I always found the NAAC to be a fun opponent, and most importantly opponents that knew this was a game.

In regards to the OP, another nicely written chapter. I kind of wish I could do one for my own experiences sometime, but I think I have just forgotten too much already.