ETHICS IN Tournament Edition

Just yesterday in TE, I attacked some guy in a very small communist alliance. His bio read "communism is alive", so for my cesus belli I put "communism is dead". Usually in TE, I attack people and we fight, we do not talk. This time however he reacted furiously! He accused me of taking advantage of his situation (having one other war), accused me of being a Conservative Republican who was viciously anti-communist, accused me of politicizing a game, how I have a "confederate flag" (it's actually the flag of Chile) and how that somehow makes me a 'racist', he said blah blah blah blah blah I responded by saying THIS IS TE, in TE we do crazy things and we don't worry about the consequences, because it's only TE!

This got me thinking. Is what I do in Tournament edition ok? Was TE meant for this kind of obnoxious randomly warmongering behaviour?

I think that TE was meant for people to play Cybernations without morals with two focuses, war and fun. I want to have fun getting into some wars, but in regular CN such moments can be rare. So I go on tournament edition, where unaligned nations are plentiful and where most alliances mean little, and I start up some wars and I have fun launching missiles and sending troops to battle.

I play Cybernations Standard seriously, I greet people politely, I apologize for the smallest errors, I make sure my tech payments are on time, I give notice whenever I cancel a trade, I only attack someone unless my alliance gives me the green light. In contrast I play Cybernations Tournament Edition as a giant playground of destruction where I am not afraid of warring with random people for no reason, where I don't really care if my nation gets destroyed in the process. So I could describe my mentality as CN being how I live my life in the real world and TE being how I play Grand Theft Auto.

Is there anything wrong with this mentality? Please comment.

I believe this topic is important. Does anyone else have anything to say about it? If the guy who I'm talking about up there is here, could you please give your opinion?

I think that TE was meant for people to play Cybernations without morals with two focuses, war and fun. I want to have fun getting into some wars, but in regular CN such moments can be rare. So I go on tournament edition, where unaligned nations are plentiful and where most alliances mean little, and I start up some wars and I have fun launching missiles and sending troops to battle.

some would argue that standard's purpose is simply not as cut and dry. for example, TE you just attack for no reason. S it seems like you ought to use coersion, lies, etc. to accomplish your goals of killing.

I think he gets the message now, cause he hasn't sent me anything in more than a day.

His nation is in tatters and if he didn't hate me so much I'm sure he'd be asking for peace by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree capitalC - too many people trying to 'play nice' in TE. Regardless of the original intent, perhaps we decide how we play TE, and I think we have the beginning of a concensus in this thread.

I think basic decency is a must everywhere, but harmless banter is just that. Standard is a place for us to be careful, tactful, diplomatic and represent our alliances properly - we don't need that to anywhere the same degree in TE or it becomes pointless.

Edited by NeoGandalf

It simply comes down to you can play the game anyway you like, and the gentleman you attacked can play the game anyway he likes. Whichever pleases you both is what "should" be done. If he wants to roleplay one view, and you wish to roleplay the anti-that view. More power to the both of you. However, as in standard I don't feel that anything outside of game should be brought inside game.

Continue playing the way you want to play (either Standard OR TE). The true test if your actually "playing" this game or not is IF your getting those kind of messages or not, so congratulations. :)

There is no "right" way to play this game. Everyone has their own beliefs, ideals, theories on how this game should be played. As everyone has pointed out, actions in CNs have far reaching consequences because the game doesn't reset and you can get @$@#!% over if you aren't careful.But in a game that only lasts three months, it really doesn't matter. It like a testing box, if you have a theory on how to play, CNte is a great place to test it. Some prefer chaos, other like diplomacy. If you think you have a theory that works, try it. If it doesn't work try something else.

Bottom line, you are not wrong to play the way you do and no one else is either.

I look at TE as a place where I can be impolite. I can call people morons when I think they are. When I am attacked, I don't have to have diplomacy; I can be arrogant and belligerant. When I attack, I do so for one purpose and that is to win. You did nothing wrong; on the other hand, there was nothing wrong with the righteous anger of the guy you attacked. That is the great part of TE.