first wonder

Britanicca

SM or DRA   

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unfortunately you are not looking far enough down the line. Even if your numbers are correct which I am not skeptical about. You are not taking into acount that the higher up you go in citizens and income the more the SSS will benefit you over the SM. Therefore the more you buy (which you will during a month) the further the SSS will give you the better benefit. In any case with just plain numbers you had there the SSS still gives you more income then the SM straight up. Now lets look at payback period.

It is indeed true that the SM will pay for itself in less time then the SSS. But let's look further down the road.

SSS = $346,524.64 * 200 days = $69,304,928 - $40,000,000 = $29,304,928

SM = $292,504.45 * 200 days = $58,500,890 - $30,000,000 = $28,500,890

So... as you can see after 200 days the SSS will pass the SM in money made vs. purchase cost which makes the SSS still more for the dollar. The only way this can change is if the SM actually gave a significantly larger benefit then the SSS. This isn't taking into account that as you make more purchases the SSS will continue to outgrow SM in benefit.

As far as pushing back your wonder purchase period I am assuming this nation already has more then enough money for each wonder due their backlog and can easily afford both. If this is not the case then your walking a thin line between whether you should buy the wonder or not especially if you are going to mess up your backlog.

Well you build your whole premise on an unstated fact; that money is available for either option. Everytime this debate surfaces, it's always predicated on saving to buy the first wonder. I indicated as much in my last paragraph when I mention that based on the example the SSS takes four days longer to save for. And you yourself said as much in the second post of the thread. That's the main advantage the SM has over the SSS, cost to value and why it's recommended as the first wonder. Based strictly on value only, of course the SSS comes out on top and if the money is already at hand, it should be the first choice. But that means you've already paid the price in lost time by taking the extra days to save the different in cost, something not generally recommended as it's time you can never make up. So it would be foolish at that point to compound the error by buying the SM if you had the money to buy the SSS since you already paid the price in lost time. And I never suggested one should do otherwise.

I'm not overlooking that as your citizen count rises (or income) that the benefits of the SSS continue to grow. That's the whole basis of why the SSS should be the second wonder choice (again if you're saving and not already money in hand for either). The SM gives the biggest bang for the buck allowing for an earlier start to the wonder clock when saving. Making it easier to purchase the SSS on the next wonder day. That earlier start can range significantly depending on the nation's income (the example's just happened to be 4 days). However what you're overlooking is that the SM purchase first means over that first month there is an extra $10 million and based on the example used, it's all available on day 4. That means you wouldn't receive the increased SSS benefit from anything purchased with it since it would have been used in the SSS purchase and not be available. Only those purchases in excess of that $10 million would receive the benefit you say I'm forgetting. All I was noting was it would only take an increase of 549 citizens to overcome the income shortfall the SM suffers compared to the SSS which is well within what the $10 million could buy, not to mention the extra $1,170,017.80 the SM would earn over the SSS for the 4 days the SM would be already in place while saving for the SSS using the example.

DRA DRA DRA. If you are heading for upper rankings it's all about who can spam tech deals fastest, DRA is the best first wonder trust me, It was my first wonder and it should be yours as well.

-Veritas

DRA should not be someones first wonder...

Depends on what they play for. If you are looking for upper tier rankings DRA should always be the first. Eventually everyone reaches the soft cap on infrastructure and land becomes rediculously expensive at that point he who has the most tech wins, since buying tech through your nation is not an option tech deals become the #1 most important thing you should do.

-Veritas

Depends on what they play for. If you are looking for upper tier rankings DRA should always be the first. Eventually everyone reaches the soft cap on infrastructure and land becomes rediculously expensive at that point he who has the most tech wins, since buying tech through your nation is not an option tech deals become the #1 most important thing you should do.

-Veritas

The key word is "eventually"...but not when you first buy your first wonder. At that time, the key still should be buying infra and get more money to buy other income improving wonders.

DRA should not be someones first wonder...

Normally I would agree with this, but... Veritas has obviously done pretty well. If you had people sending you 3M or so and filling that 6th slot continuously I think, (I'm not going to bother calculating since I didn't get the DRA as my first wonder - anyone who wants to go ahead) you'll have it paid off sooner and making "profit" from it faster than if the other income increasing wonders, which you'd start getting in 30 days anyways. He's ranked #6 and that just doesn't happen overnight.

Normally I would agree with this, but... Veritas has obviously done pretty well. If you had people sending you 3M or so and filling that 6th slot continuously I think, (I'm not going to bother calculating since I didn't get the DRA as my first wonder - anyone who wants to go ahead) you'll have it paid off sooner and making "profit" from it faster than if the other income increasing wonders, which you'd start getting in 30 days anyways. He's ranked #6 and that just doesn't happen overnight.

He's ranked #6 because he maintains no navy, no nukes (which increase daily profits greatly and has been doing so for over a year), joined an alliance that never was in an aggressive war or at the very least never declared an offensive war, and up until recently was flirting with death in having no SDI and over 17k infra instead choosing to get economic wonders over military wonders.

Choosing the DRA over the SM is only a choice worthy of merit in my opinion if you are selling donations and want to maximize your ability to do that.

He's ranked #6 because he maintains no navy, no nukes (which increase daily profits greatly and has been doing so for over a year), joined an alliance that never was in an aggressive war or at the very least never declared an offensive war, and up until recently was flirting with death in having no SDI and over 17k infra instead choosing to get economic wonders over military wonders.

Choosing the DRA over the SM is only a choice worthy of merit in my opinion if you are selling donations and want to maximize your ability to do that.

Such as #18? Still over time, you could still go the militarized route and start out with the DRA, I'm not advocating either way. Veritas will run out of econ wonders anyways and likely get the SDI eventually as well.

Edited by Begovic

Such as #18? Still over time, you could still go the militarized route and start out with the DRA, I'm not advocating either way. Veritas will run out of econ wonders anyways and likely get the SDI eventually as well.

Right. That would be the only situation in which I would consider the DRA as the first wonder.

He does have a point. :) I don't really plan much more infra buying and am way behind in tech.

Of course, if you plan DRA at 4k infra, or whenever you first buy a wonder, then you plan on being within the top twenty-five nations. Or else, you made a mistake.

He does have a point. :) I don't really plan much more infra buying and am way behind in tech.

Of course, if you plan DRA at 4k infra, or whenever you first buy a wonder, then you plan on being within the top twenty-five nations. Or else, you made a mistake.

You still made a mistake, because you are at least 3 days behind on your wonder cycle.

Like i said earlier it depends on how you play but if you are attempting to reach top rankings DRA should be your first wonder. It doesn't matter if it will take you forever to max out inf. sooner or later you will and it's not like you're going to be in top 25 overnight anyway. Also i never received a penny in aid you don't need the DRA to get more free money you need it for those tech deals, i know i keep saying that but trust me tech is the #1 most important thing because it's the only thing you can't get by just playing it smart staying out of war and letting everyone else waste their cash on military while you buy land and inf.

Oh and correction i'm #6 while maintaining no navy very limited military and no nukes when i pretty much gave up on cn about 4 months ago i was the #1 nation in the game several k ns above bubbler. That is i would have been if i ever was silly enough to waste all that money on inflating my ns with military xD.

-Veritas

P.S. I used to donate regularly (before i got bored) but i have never sold a donation or recieved any cash aid.