ISAF Tunnel Network

Phytoon

"Greetings once again, gentlemen." President Claudio stood once again in front of the joint chiefs in the Capitol Building. "As many of you know, the Ice Worm Rail has been a huge success. Well, it's time now to extend the network to our fellow Antarctic nations. This will be a long and arduous task, and we will likely be aided by our neighbors. Thus, I want to set up a committee to ensure the safety of all workers as well as coordinate their efforts so the project doesn't become cluttered."

"Sir!" A tall man in a long coat stands up from the far end of the table.

"Ah, Admiral Archer. You were in charge of coordination last time, correct?"

"Yes, sir. For a project this size, I would propose that we place GPS beacons above-ground where the tunnel route is planned to pass. That way, the crews working underground can simply check GPS to see if they need to correct their drilling. This should facilitate things greatly."

"That's an excellent idea, Admiral. I'll let you head the coordination committee again, and you can implement this as you see fit. What I would like to do for the drilling this time is have a branching effect by drilling first to U.R.P.R., and then split off into two tunnels going to USB and the Union of Antarctica. Once those lines are completed, the two drilling machines can converge upon each other to meet halfway. Does this sound like an acceptable plan of action?"

"Yes, sir. We should be able to complete this inside of 9 months. Hopefully sooner. Those machines that U.R.P.R. sent us are more efficient than we originally knew. However, drilling in only one direction limits the amount of progress over time, so I believe it would be more efficient to focus on each link individually and drill from both ends for better results."

Unfortunately GPS does not work very well underground from our experience. But you can use it to plot out the course above ground and then drill a 1 foot boring hole down to the required depth and release an underground sonar emitter to guide the drill to the exact location needed.

OOC: I totally forgot about this, what with school and whatnot. I'll stay on top of this project over the weekend.

IC: This seems to be the most efficient route for joining our nations. Perhaps we should take the opportunity to designate the training grounds for our joint military.

With the equipment we have, we should be able to drill about 50 miles a week (Day).

Dranagg wishes to give support to its new Alliance members in the form of millions of tonnes of PETN. We suddenly happen to find we have more than we need for our own tunnel system on our side of the Antarctic. While low quality, the sheer amounts should be enough for almost any forseen useage, and secondary quality control can keep it effective.

OOC: Hehe found a way to make it useful :awesome:, and btw PETN works fine in the cold

For the most part, explosives are mainly used for mining because of the hard-to-control nature of explosives. I would suggest you use drill for your tunnels as well, lest you inadvertently cause a collapse.

By this time, we've dug 250 miles of tunnel. (OOC: I'm using tomorrow (the 28th) as my basis for this statement, as I probably won't be online that day.)

Edited by Phytoon

We wish to advise our allies that we have two scientists arriving soon in Dranagg with expertise with mineral sciences. We ask that samples start being taken from the tunnel projects, marked from where they were taken, and sent to us for these scientists to study. The potential for finding possible precious mineral flows in the ice, that can lead back to sources, or direct veins, would be very beneficial to the ISAF economy.

We wish to advise our allies that we have two scientists arriving soon in Dranagg with expertise with mineral sciences. We ask that samples start being taken from the tunnel projects, marked from where they were taken, and sent to us for these scientists to study. The potential for finding possible precious mineral flows in the ice, that can lead back to sources, or direct veins, would be very beneficial to the ISAF economy.

Of course, we shall continue to do so.

We have dug 400 miles of tunnel, and our workers have begun taking samples of the ice at 15 mile intervals for analysis. It would be nice if we could find some rare minerals, as that would mean there would still be some in the bedrock, as it would have seeped into the ice from there.

Based on several soil samples from across the continent we have found trace amounts of cobalt, chromium, nickel, vanadium, copper, iron, platinum and maybe even uranium and believe that larger deposits are in the various rock layers under the ice. We suggest further investigation once the tunnels are completed.

ooc:Please See "Metallic Minerals"

Edited by Apollo11

OOC: We didn't really use our full force in the war, so let's just assume the construction went uninhibited.

IC: Since my last announcement, our crews have dug an additional 400 miles of tunnel, bringing us to a total of 800 miles. Because of URPR's extensive construction project, we will circumvent their nation temporarily to connect the tunnel to the Republic of Antarctica and the Republic of Dranagg, going through Paraganea, and sending a seperate branch of the tunnel system to the former USB. We expect this to be a total distance of 4000 miles of tunnel, and we should be done by the end of next year (OOC: March, possibly April).