CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm actually still of the opinion that, while walkers are *possible*, they're not very useful aside from heavy-duty lifting and the like, I'm still curious as to what exactly the science behind this specific thing that Sumeragi posted in that thread are.

While I'm actually still of the opinion that, while walkers are *possible*, they're not very useful aside from heavy-duty lifting and the like, I'm still curious as to what exactly the science behind this specific thing that Sumeragi posted in that thread are.

It's all in the design. Some crazy anime fifty story tall mech that is built to look exactly like a human is out, too tall, too weak, too unbalanced. Where as a four legged, short little spider tank thing (like this: )

AgeanWalkingtank.png

could be done with pneumatic solenoids, springs, and some basic computer stuff. So basically, an AT-AT is out, something like what the US military already uses as a field medical unit with a gun on it is in. It's all really a matter of scale, and power... and that I had my walking tank picture still :awesome:

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

Hey... A real house that walks. :P

I also at one point found a article about a guy that made a working 8-legged metal walker, but was so slow and heavy that it wasn't very useful. You see, one of the largest problems with walkers is that they spread out their weight on smaller feet, and almsot always have more mass than a tank (which spreads out its weight over its a much larger area).

Although walkers are a cool idea, they just arn't worth it. The amout of money spent on such programs, and then the cost for just one unit of the finished product, doesn't justify itsself. Just buy a swarm of tanks, or a mob of soilders, and they will be much more effective.

Its sorta the same thing with battlesuits; regular infantry cost less than a tank, but battlesuited infantry cost way more than a tank. ANd the tank can easily kill the infantry; the fore of the explosion would kill him. But I let the infantry thing slide just so then people still won't have "crappy infantry" that die easy.

A 2 legged walker is nigh on impossible if you want it to do more than walk slowly. 4 legs it better, but it requires computation to keep 3 of the legs on the ground, and the center of gravity in the triangle formed by them. Which then has to change to the opposite triangle when the opposite leg moves.

6 legs is about the minimum you want. And even then, things like broken ground will slow it down even more.

Also, if we have to wait for the science, please hurry up and show us it.

Edited by LeVentNoir

A 2 legged walker is nigh on impossible if you want it to do more than walk slowly. 4 legs it better, but it requires computation to keep 3 of the legs on the ground, and the center of gravity in the triangle formed by them. Which then has to change to the opposite triangle when the opposite leg moves.

6 legs is about the minimum you want. And even then, things like broken ground will slow it down even more.

I am curious; what kind of "science" is allowed as proof? Obviously, I am not an engineer/physicist, so while I can keep up on the basics, alot of the higher mathmatics/engineering "proof" is somewhat difficult for me to follow. I do have a completely functioning sense of fairness and proportion, however, and it seems to me that the schematic for the gun she shows is in perfect alignment with what I do happen to know. The walkers, though...those look Brick-worthy.

I can let the gun slide, I mean, it has a wiki article, but there are a number of problems to overcome before it becomes a real weapon.

The robot is brick worthy. There are some robots you can bet away with (Like my remote controlled tracked gun boxes) but this one is a load of bs.

Another point. Why do we have exceptions to the play by your stats rule?

Unless you have hard number in the data base, you should be using your IG stats.

This brings us to another point, when nations merge do they add their tech? add some? Or the most reasonable, go to the tech of the higher nation. This would see the same rule applied to all three merged nations, and so re-level the playing field.

Also just as an aside, why do people get exceptions to IG at levels they never got to? If I get rolled, i'd love to come back to RP with a tech level over 1000 more than I ever had.

Another point. Why do we have exceptions to the play by your stats rule?

Unless you have hard number in the data base, you should be using your IG stats.

This brings us to another point, when nations merge do they add their tech? add some? Or the most reasonable, go to the tech of the higher nation. This would see the same rule applied to all three merged nations, and so re-level the playing field.

Also just as an aside, why do people get exceptions to IG at levels they never got to? If I get rolled, i'd love to come back to RP with a tech level over 1000 more than I ever had.

This is why i dont accept exceptions, and probably why a number of Rper's dislike me >.> Perfect example would be mercy. He quit CN and started a new nation. I see no reason for an exception

This is why i dont accept exceptions, and probably why a number of Rper's dislike me >.> Perfect example would be mercy. He quit CN and started a new nation. I see no reason for an exception

No, we dislike you because nobody likes you.

Mercy's not even close to a perfect example - he wasn't even given half his stats back, and he RP'd a reasonable reason for the stats that he did get. You're only using Mercy as an example because you dislike him.

Mercy's not even close to a perfect example - he wasn't even given half his stats back, and he RP'd a reasonable reason for the stats that he did get. You're only using Mercy as an example because you dislike him.

I use him because he got an exception. THere are others, like Kaiser Martens. I have yet to recognize a tech exception, especially since he nuked everyone when he left RP the first time around

Id prefer it of you don't group everyone together with your statements. I don't dislike Frost in fact I don't get what the major dislike of Frost is?

What so none of these. :awesome:

battlefield2142_battlewalker_big.jpg

Edited by Tahsir Re