CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

While I'm really not opposed to people sometimes exaggerating ship sizes and blurring class lines, because I'm of the opinion that as long as its somewhat in line with the criteria of that supposed ship, I will stretch the class limits sometimes. This is due to the fact that some navies will build larger (or smaller) vessels of a certain class.

I think that Evangeline is more concern with absurdities in armament capabilities, and "super ships", more than anything here. That being said, I'm on the fence about such absurdities, considering we used to recognize Shadowsage maintaining a fleet of something-like kilometer long ships in some instances. But I digress, there has been much discussion on the limits of armaments on ships before, but I do not believe there has been any definitive rules condoning one way or another.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think first of all we have to acknowledge that the definitions of the vessels is in flux and changing.  An aegis destroyer meets the definitions of a battleship in Mahan's day as does an aegis cruiser.  However it can also perform cruiser and destroyer roles.  

I think that really there's no point in trying short of giving someone dictatorial powers to simply make definitions, of course most people would object because it wouldn't fit with their ill informed opinions, based on a very limited case and lack of exposure to the informed community which discusses such matters.  That's just a simple fact.

So either don't worry about it or radical solution are the two options.

Well, if one dismisses all other solutions other than hard caps and free reign for all, then well, nothing can be done about it, I guess. Normally, such things are kind of regulated under common sense, but I guess common sense is not so common as some would wish it were, or some people don't like the idea that I can't take a 256 VLS ship and call it a destroyer, when it's more in line with a Kirov.

I go for the not worrying about it route. Whatever the country who owns it calls it is what it counts as. If it's something you've made up, see who it most closely resembles in the real lifes and go for that.

I would think that is what most people would do, but it seems to not be the case here.

While I'm really not opposed to people sometimes exaggerating ship sizes and blurring class lines, because I'm of the opinion that as long as its somewhat in line with the criteria of that supposed ship, I will stretch the class limits sometimes. This is due to the fact that some navies will build larger (or smaller) vessels of a certain class.

I think that Evangeline is more concern with absurdities in armament capabilities, and "super ships", more than anything here. That being said, I'm on the fence about such absurdities, considering we used to recognize Shadowsage maintaining a fleet of something-like kilometer long ships in some instances. But I digress, there has been much discussion on the limits of armaments on ships before, but I do not believe there has been any definitive rules condoning one way or another.

There are no definitive rules on ships, but I would think we can do better at keeping it reasonable. Otherwise, if people cannot stay reasonable, I guess the arms race is on.

Unless you're going to also rule against MOBs, I don't really think it makes any sense to rule against any other made up ships.

Even MOBs have some definition. You can't build a multi-square-kilometre MOB with tons of defensive armament, an airstrip for strategic bombers and a speed of 40 knots. Because apart from being completely laughable, it's not what a MOB would ever achieve, even b the standards of 2024.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What kept him alive was political convenience IC. When I last time argued for a war, MGL still had a certain importance in global affairs, which he has since lost, due to changes in the global framework. If MGL had not had some political role to play back in the day, I'd not have just gone and tried patch things up after the Alberta crisis, because I don't appease people solely based on OOC.

Wait... so how do aircraft get calculated anyhow? Does everyone get 12 planes per squadron? Because that is what it sounds like from the map thread, but that would mean that I would have 960 aircraft with my 80 in game aircraft, so I'm guessing I'm reading something wrong here.

12 planes per squadron if you have more than 500 tech.  Otherwise, you have 6 planes per squadron.  Since planes are one of those things that you can buy a full compliment in a single day (like troops and tanks), you don't need IG airplanes to have IC airplanes.

Wait... so how do aircraft get calculated anyhow? Does everyone get 12 planes per squadron? Because that is what it sounds like from the map thread, but that would mean that I would have 960 aircraft with my 80 in game aircraft, so I'm guessing I'm reading something wrong here.

12 planes per aircraft, then undergoing a multiplier specified in the map thread.

12 planes per squadron if you have more than 500 tech.  Otherwise, you have 6 planes per squadron.  Since planes are one of those things that you can buy a full compliment in a single day (like troops and tanks), you don't need IG airplanes to have IC airplanes.

That first rule got abolished some time ago in reforms of the aircraft multiplier. Was sometime last year. I know I was GM then and I think I made the poll.

Edit: Here from the map thread:

Air Forces
Like soldiers and tanks, you don't have to buy IG planes to have them in CNRP. Air forces follow the rule of 1 IG Plane = 1 RP Squadron. 12 planes per squadron is the maximum you can have in CNRP. Nations with certain tech- and infra levels may use the following modifiers for their squadrons:

0-5,000 Infra, 0-1,000 tech: x2
5,001-6,000 Infra, 1,001-2,000 tech: x3
6,001-infinity Infra, 2,001-infinity: x4

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

• 1 month later...