Respect

Stormcrow

I totally feel you on this one, Hawk. Whenever I move, about three times insofar, I"ve made it a point to roleplay assimilation to some degree, but I never go off on crazytrains based solely on race, ethnicity, or nationality.

Yes, I'm a German IRL, Yes I RP a German Majority. I admit that. But it's really all semantics, because I've had Finns, Somalis, and any various other minority ethnicities whereever I go.

Making, or in some cases, failing to make, the different cultures of my lands cohease is part of the challenge, but never something I'd go to war over.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Rp'd a germanic/ english Totalitarian state, which conveniently removed all those problems by removing the natives. My new RP nation is one of total immigrants, with a short history founded upon Desolate lands.

I think the entire 'ethic rp' element has gone too far. As far as I know, there never was a nation called "Korea" on the korean peninsula in CNRP, so I would find it highly laudable for anyone to call themselves Korean.

I'm kind of hoping they kill each other over it.

You know that's not happening.

Her nation is obviously Japanese, yet she is based in New Guinea. Sure, she has roleplayed a long and drawn out history of how her people ended up in New Guinea, but the point is that she has never controlled Japan, yet RPs Japanese nationals. If Sumeragi is allowed to do this, then why does the situation that has been outlined occur? It's illogical and hypocritical.

It's only because the current owner of the Japanese islands said he's NEVER giving up any part of Japan since he is the ONLY Japanese in CNRP. What am I to do, do a revolt that would be crushed?

I think the entire 'ethic rp' element has gone too far. As far as I know, there never was a nation called "Korea" on the korean peninsula in CNRP, so I would find it highly laudable for anyone to call themselves Korean.

From what I heard yesterday, the Korean Peninsula always belonged to RL Koreans and RPed as a Korean nation until Triyun took over after Mercy joined Vox.

I Rp'd a germanic/ english Totalitarian state, which conveniently removed all those problems by removing the natives. My new RP nation is one of total immigrants, with a short history founded upon Desolate lands.

Agreed. If anything, they are Shillans or they are Triyunicans...

It's only because the current owner of the Japanese islands said he's NEVER giving up any part of Japan since he is the ONLY Japanese in CNRP. What am I to do, do a revolt that would be crushed?

That's irrelevant to the post's message. Please don't argue me using you as a positive example emot-doh.png

Edited by hawk_11

I'm IRL german, kinda dislike all this Nordlandic stuff Martens is doing in scandinavia and central europe, but hey, I just roll with it and RP my multinational, communistic nation with a big german minority (15% of the total pop). If I ever get rolled, I may ask Martens if I can restart with parts of IRL germany, but that doesn't look likely at the moment.

I care not about ethnicies and all that stuff.

That's irrelevant to the post's message. Please don't argue me using you as a positive example emot-doh.png

It is relevent. There are 3 parts to the problem you brought up:

1. The right of RPers to RP how they want.

2. The right of RPers to deny others the same right because they got there first.

3. The right of RPers to whitewash all previous RPs to establish their own RPs.

Your problems are 1 and 3, while mine is 2.

In your case, you have the right to RP how you want. However, you hit problem 3 when you whitewash previous RPs (particularly Mercy's Korean-based Shilla) to make a bland shell. That's partly why Mercy and I !@#$%*ed at you: You never really RPed how your nation arrived at that point.

In my case, I was "denied" the right to RP Japanese/Koreans because a certain person who had the Japanese islands at that point told me that HE was the only Japanese nation that ever existed (yeah, right) and that HE had the complete right to say who was Japanese or not. He want so far as to call me a copycat for trying to RP my heritage. That's why I had to establish Kyokujitsu Teikoku on New Guinea in the first place: For being "denied" the right to RP what I wanted to RP.

This whole thing seems rather odd to me. The two reasons are:

1) Ethnic groups in Areas

Why cant the have immigrated? In the US we have a lot of people from other countries, LA for example has more people of Latino descent than of Caucasian.

2) Names of Ethnic groups

It makes more sense to refer to geographical features by they're real names. Korea would still be Korea, the language Korean, and the people Korean, and then those people be Shillian, or Triyunican etc. Just because it's not a country doesn't mean it isn't an ethnic group either, look at Catalonia in Spain, or Kurdistan, or Kosovo (a year ago XD). They all have ethnic groups within a further country. It all comes down to Ethnicity versus nationality.

My nondescript number of cents :awesome:

In your case, you have the right to RP how you want. However, you hit problem 3 when you whitewash previous RPs (particularly Mercy's Korean-based Shilla) to make a bland shell. That's partly why Mercy and I !@#$%*ed at you: You never really RPed how your nation arrived at that point.

For the final time, I never whitewashed Korean history, I just never placed as much emphasis on Korean heritage as the two of you do. What is the crime in that?

Edit: this is exactly the kind of !@#$%^&* that I put this post up for.

Edited by hawk_11

For the final time, I never whitewashed Korean history, I just never placed as much emphasis on Korean heritage as the two of you do. What is the crime in that?

Edit: this is exactly the kind of !@#$%^&* that I put this post up for.

I agree with Hawk. Bob is Bob, not Earth. There's no requirement to use pre-existing underlying cultures. I mean.. otherwise.. what would the countries in Antartica and the Arctic do? RP polar bears?

Lets get a grip folks with the fact this is a fantasy board based on a realistic representation of earth, not a duplication. I'm not going to be angry because someone wiped Kentuckians and any reference to Kentucky off the face of the map. That would be childish and utterly non-sensical.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I agree with Hawk. Bob is Bob, not Earth. There's no requirement to use pre-existing underlying cultures. I mean.. otherwise.. what would the countries in Antartica and the Arctic do? RP polar bears?

Lets get a grip folks with the fact this is a fantasy board based on a realistic representation of earth, not a duplication. I'm not going to be angry because someone wiped Kentuckians and any reference to Kentucky off the face of the map. That would be childish and utterly non-sensical.

It's more of destroying other people's previous RPs. Also, I wouldn't have been this belligent if LF didn't call me a copycat in the first place.

In the meantime, one of my RP objectives has been achieve. You wouldn't be hearing much about this issue anymore (unless the copycat accustion doesn't come up)

It's more of destroying other people's previous RPs. Also, I wouldn't have been this belligent if LF didn't call me a copycat in the first place.

In the meantime, one of my RP objectives has been achieve. You wouldn't be hearing much about this issue anymore (unless the copycat accustion doesn't come up)

I'm sorry Sumeragi.. once you lose control of an area.. you have absolutely no say in its future progression in role play. If they chose to eliminate the history of that area and they are the government in control.. re-education can do that. Try to raise a Nazi flag in Germany.. and remember what it was a little over a half-century ago.

Again, where did I do this? I've never whitewashed Korea, as you claim.

In my case, I was "denied" the right to RP Japanese/Koreans because a certain person who had the Japanese islands at that point told me that HE was the only Japanese nation that ever existed (yeah, right) and that HE had the complete right to say who was Japanese or not. He want so far as to call me a copycat for trying to RP my heritage. That's why I had to establish Kyokujitsu Teikoku on New Guinea in the first place: For being "denied" the right to RP what I wanted to RP.

His Nation was created by my Imperial Fiat. Something which you never complained about when I allowed a Korean Autonomous Region to exist under you. At the time I controlled most of Asia and someone wanted land so I gave some to them. Hawk did absolutely zero things wrong. He got the land fair and square and you and Mercy showed blatant contempt for him having the land OOC.

Secondly you speak of rights, we are RPing a world of nations. Nations do not exist out of peace and charity, they exist in a State of Anarchy. Those nations which do not have the strength to enforce their right to exist have the possibility of collapse. You cannot claim on one hand that you are innocent because you don't get to RP the nation location you want but then say Hawk is at fault. You did not extend the same courtesy you seem to be expecting for yourself to Cataduanas when you claim his southern Phillipines have ZERO fillipinos living there.

I do not particularly care if who occupies what land OOC, but you should treat other players with respect, from what I saw with what you and Mercy were saying to Hawk, respect was not something there. I play a pretty hardline character IC, but I keep OOC separate. I've never questioned anyones credentials to RP a nation based on anything other than their in character foreign policies. Going after the player for not being asian, white, or black enough is not something that I find acceptable.

I'm sorry Sumeragi.. once you lose control of an area.. you have absolutely no say in its future progression in role play. If they chose to eliminate the history of that area and they are the government in control.. re-education can do that. Try to raise a Nazi flag in Germany.. and remember what it was a little over a half-century ago.

I wouldn't mind if decades had passed RP-wise, but it hasn't happened

Again, where did I do this? I've never whitewashed Korea, as you claim.

1. I never said much about Korea (that was Mercy)

2. Turning a highly nationalist people into your current nation in less than a decade seems to be pushing it.

2. Turning a highly nationalist people into your current nation in less than a decade seems to be pushing it.

And you said that people could unbrainwash IW citizens. Please stick to a side?

A nice little recourse back to the OP, everyone, why don't we stop arguing over perceived slights and drop this? Unless you are going to get your panties in such twist as to invade IC, there is nothing you can do about it.

Lets give each other some respect?

You did not extend the same courtesy you seem to be expecting for yourself to Cataduanas when you claim his southern Phillipines have ZERO fillipinos living there.

I RPed it so that the original population was destroyed due to a plague. Of course Cataduanes didn't want that, so I gave him some slack on that particular issue.

I do not particularly care if who occupies what land OOC, but you should treat other players with respect, from what I saw with what you and Mercy were saying to Hawk, respect was not something there. I play a pretty hardline character IC, but I keep OOC separate. I've never questioned anyones credentials to RP a nation based on anything other than their in character foreign policies. Going after the player for not being asian, white, or black enough is not something that I find acceptable.

Perhaps I may have pushed it, and I apologize to Hawk on that.

Sumeragi: Your statements are not very logically researched. The nationalism of a given fantastic ethnicity in a fantastic world.. is definitely subject to interpretation and definition that is not necessarily within your realm of control. Koreans may not even exist in this world as you know them.

Just because you point at an old RP doesn't make that ethnicity a duplicate of real world Koreans. These are Bob Koreans.. subject to Bob Demographic patterns and changes.. which though similar to earths.. aren't exactly subject to the same rules. If you want reality. Go get elected in S. Korea or find a national command appointment in North Korea, then govern.

Seriously, Sumeragi, what the $%&@ is Korean culture? What the $%&@ is American culture? There isn't any. This is Planet Bob, not Planet Earth. If anything, it would be MercyFalloutian culture, and that's a stretch. Are you going to !@#$%* at me too for allowing terrorists to run a country in America? Anyone comes at me with that argument, I tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. I RP the way I want, and no one is going to tell me what I can and cannot do with my nation as far as the people and culture living there.