Noob Mistakes

baseballer790

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having max number of tanks without incurring unhappiness, paying bills on CMs, not collecting at %28, and my enduring flaw, I have never changed my religion.

Not getting a Harbor first, because it was cheaper to get something else, and finally buying max airforce when they were first introduced. I quickly went from Level 3s to Level 9s, but had inferior aircraft than my opponents who were wise and waited to get the best they could before the war, and not pay bills on inferior planes.

Buying a ton of land (But, I have kept that land)

Ghosting my current alliance for a month (Saved by a man I hold dear in my heart)

Forgetting to capitalize the P in Perfecto, space between Perfecto and Vida, and forgetting to capitalize the V in Vida

Tha tha tha thats, thats all folks!

being nice to my citizens and giving them a 10% tax rate.

Hah, I was always merciless. Even on the first day adjusting the tax rate and checking collection amounts until I found the right percentage.

Ha, I forgot the worst one: I elawyered with the admin once, which had cost me my first nation after just entering the Top200 (of back then nearly 40,000 nations). :P

Without that mistake I would have the damn #1 rank for a year now :o

I always wondered whenever you mentioned your first nation. I was always like... why would he have deleted his first nation!?

In regards to original topic again... my noobish mistake was not tech dealing. I've made plenty of non-noob plain-ol' stupid mistakes.

As has been said... long back collect and forgetting to have lumber camps; getting swindled in a donation deal when it was fairly obvious the guy was a swindler (I just thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt); collecting or paying bills before checking to see if I had all of my resources, hitting submit before thinking about the numbers, realizing the numbers looked fishy, checking trades and noting I'm missing two or three, thus destroying my income for that round or elevating my bills; being a perfectionist about waiting until the last minute for war attacking etc. and then having real life interfere with my carefully laid plans, losing ground attacks or what have you; in TE planning to wait on bill pay, financing wars through stolen loot, but then realizing I have to pay bills to actually buy anything; in TE being stubborn and leaving troops to defend when facing insurmountable odds, thus losing tons of infrastructure that might have been saved had I simply turtled...

I'm sure I could think of these types of mistakes forever.

Quick edit: ah, I thought of another. When first starting I had chosen the red team (because red is the color of the gods according to gladiator). After a while of independence, I decided to see what it was like in an alliance (I did fairly well completely on my own, I think). Since I was red, I joined the alliance that was recruiting me: the NPO. Once there, the noobish mistake wasn't so much a mistake as alliance policy. While fellow MFOers joined the game and rapidly advanced in ranks, I was relatively stagnant. They were tech/land raiding, and I was stuck in Fark wars and Great War III, exuberant over my single $1.5mil aid package (I had only asked for $750k, I think). It was impossible to catch up to them, and I soon realized the greatest barrier was the land gains, which are even to this day an advantage (I've never really raided).

Edited by JoshuaR

Attacking someone in an alliance and getting counter attacked by two of his friends. Then I counter attacked his friends, and then attempted to surrender (they actually accepted it, but they were pretty close to simply pounding my nation into oblivion for those bungles)

Attacking someone in an alliance and getting counter attacked by two of his friends. Then I counter attacked his friends, and then attempted to surrender (they actually accepted it, but they were pretty close to simply pounding my nation into oblivion for those bungles)

Lol, I nearly did that once to, but lucky for me I spotted the mistake before I became bug splat :)

I tried to join an alliance but goofed up the process so spent the first month alone and not doing very well. Then i joined a really small alliance and before long found myself part of the government and having to save up for days in order to pay the 20k we used to offer new members (so i never grew).

One day i heard about this new fad call tech raiding and how people were making money. So i went to give it a go but misread the american date system and accidentally attacked someone only 3 days inactive as opposed to 15 which was what i thought. Of course he came back and destroyed me.

I'd like to say i made only mistakes as a noob, but i still do them occasionally. Like forgetting to buy the labour camps BEFORE paying bills. Also i delayed for stupidly long in starting back collecting, and i started after it was not as good for you. I never sold tech and donated to my nation when it was young. Basically if there is a mistake i made it.

This thread makes me lol cos its nice to know i'm not alone.

This thread makes me lol cos its nice to know i'm not alone.

Yeah someone needs to create a DO NOT DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID guide, and post all of these in it.

I share your first mistake, I spent my first three months in the Gov of a very small alliance that wasn't going anywheres. It made me realize why so many members split off and formed Sparta. :lol:

Buying 2000 land in money I had accumilated recruiting for said small alliance.

Being greedy with my tech, by not wanting to tech raid.

Not standing up for my beliefs and values, I let older nations who thought they knew best tell me what to do, including how to act. Lasted around 6 months and I may not be seen as "nice" anymore but at least I speak my mind :P

Over deploying twice in a war with no war chest. Anarchy and bill lock are great!

Having to delete for two months, I wish I had just tried to get a sitter. I hate seeing people I started with so much bigger, and no they will not get my tech. I think I'll be greedy again :lol:

Edited by maskofblue