General Canadian actions

Lynneth

OOC: But railguns take more energy, due to Lenz's law, there is an opposing emf generated, meaning you have to put more current though the projectile. You can achieve better velocities overall, but they need much greater power, making it hard to make small versions. This is why I have coilguns on my tanks, and railguns on my ships.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: But railguns take more energy, due to Lenz's law, there is an opposing emf generated, meaning you have to put more current though the projectile. You can achieve better velocities overall, but they need much greater power, making it hard to make small versions. This is why I have coilguns on my tanks, and railguns on my ships.

OOC: I need only 6-9 MJoule to fire a 5kg slug about 10 km far. The engine of an Abrams tank provides 1.5 MW or so, so only with that, I could fire every 6 or so seconds, provided the tank does nothing else in that time. With an additional power plant that generates ~2-3 MW, I could fire every 2 or 3 seconds. The biggest issue is cooling, and even that can be done with the right materials and a well-built railgun.

[A few months after the last conversation - Highly Classified]

"Several Leopards have been recalled into the factories to be refit, Sir."

"Good. What's the status of the SDI?"

"Almost all sats are in orbit by now. Only a few, namely those equipped with railguns need to be launched."

"The problems with powering them have been taken care of?"

"Yes, Sir. The current power generator will allow them to stay in orbit for about 15 years before we have to 'land' them."

"And I can assume that the old satellites are being brought down soon?"

"Yes. It will take a month or two, but we'll recover all of the old ones."

"Good to hear."

"Our scientists also seem to have found a way to manipulate the genetic material of subjects in P.C. for faster growth in the first year of their life, accelerating the aging process in that year by approximately a tenfold. Makes the subjects live shorter lifes, but that is irrelevant for now. Our men currently are testing that theory on artificially fertilized eggs and also on life subjects, to see if the genetic material can still be manipulated after birth."

"So the project is, as of now, successful?"

"Parts of it, yes. But it'll take some more time and patience to see real results."

"Patience is a virtue as some say. Thus, I'll wait until you say the project is done."

"Thank you for trusting me this much, Chairman."

"Just remember to not abuse this trust. Otherwise, you'll find yourself on the receiving end of the experiments."

"Of...of course. Well, I'll get back to work now. Goodbye."

"Do that. Until next time."

Click.

James nodded (not like you could see it) and started hopping towards the other astronauts. His camera was running as a video camera, extreme high quality, and he pointed out the situation to the rest. As he turned around and got back to his original vantage point, he caught something else: something much worse. Several more, it looked like nearly ten of those flashes appeared - much larger ones. South America's center was covered with these things, and they disappeared quickly.

"What the hell..?"

James nodded (not like you could see it) and started hopping towards the other astronauts. His camera was running as a video camera, extreme high quality, and he pointed out the situation to the rest. As he turned around and got back to his original vantage point, he caught something else: something much worse. Several more, it looked like nearly ten of those flashes appeared - much larger ones. South America's center was covered with these things, and they disappeared quickly.

"What the hell..?"

Once all of the astronauts had assembled at the shuttle, the man who'd contacted Omega - Captain Brown - looked at the others, seemingly shocked.

"Guys, this is very, very bad. Some crazy idiots launched nukes. These flashes were nuclear weapons. God..." He turned to look at the planet. Some of the others did so, as well.

One commented, "But there was no retaliation, right? No nuclear war?"

"Yeah. Luckily."

Another one sat down, looking at Bob. "Nuke...Geez, what madman would..?"

Some were quite shaken, while others were just relieved that no true nuclear exchange had happened.

[A few weeks after the previous conversation - Highly Classified]

"Excuse me if I ask, Sir. But.."

"Yes?"

"Why are we calling P.C. that again?"

"Well, why not? It's a fitting name, don't you think?"

"In a way, yes...But it's also kind of a strange name."

"Oh?"

"Uh, yes. I just can't understand how a project of this magnitude, especially because it creates all kinds of genetically manipulated humans, is called...'Project Caturday'. I just don't understand it."

"That's because you've never been on the internet, Fjodor. There's saturdays that they call 'Caturday' because everyone posts pictures of cats doing stuff."

"But...shouldn't a project like this, especially because it'll probably get us condemned by half the world be named less...obvious?"

"Well, what other name do you suggest?"

"I...didn't actually think about that part."

"Well, until you can come up with something better, its name will stay exactly as it is."

A sigh. "Very well, Sir."

"So, do you have something to report?"

"Yes. The age-acceleration works, although we don't know yet if it'll stop after a year. If it doesn't and we can't figure out a way to fix that, then we'll have to work with both modified and unmodified specimen, as the modified ones are likely to live for only four or five years before they die from old age - if they reach that at all. There may also be a problem for the modified subjects, namely cancer - especially brain-cancer occured unusually often. Once we've figured out how to stop the accelerated growth at a certain age, we'll have to fix that cancer problem before true research can be done."

"Sounds like a lot of work that you have to do."

"Oh, by now it's mostly a waiting game. We've decoded almost all of the human genome and know the use of almost everything. In theory, we could do much more than we're doing right now, like enhancing the average intelligence or strength of an individual. We could also make the hair color naturally green or purple if we felt like it. All is possible, although some modifications may have unexpected side-effects."

"Such as this sudden cancer risk?"

"Yes. The modifications could also, in theory, backfire and make a subject dumber or weaker than before. While we do know the current uses of so many parts of the DNA, we do not know how they will react to the manipulations. There's just too many possibilities to consider or even think of them all. As said, it's a waiting game to find out what the manipulations do."

"Well, hopefully you'll have good results soon."

"As do I. Anyways, I have to go now, there's a theory or two I'd like to test."

"Do that. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Chairman."

Click.

OOC: Who can guess why exactly it's named 'Caturday'? (Aside from the hint of the Chairman being insane :awesome: )

Edited by Lynneth

"Three...

Two...

One...

Fire!"

Several rockets began to roar into the air, reaching the atmosphere after a short time. Anyone who had eyes looking towards Saboria would see these ICBMs arching from the Canary Islands towards the Saborian Mainland. Apparently, the Chairman had let a missle base be constructed on the islands.

In total, twenty missles were on their way, but once they were closer than approximately 2000 kilometers to Saboria's coasts, they would begin to disappear from the radar, one after another. A direct observer could see scramjet-missles, lasers and railgun-slugs hitting (and occasionally missing) the intercontinental weapons.

After half an hour, it was over. Only a single rocket had made it into Saboria. As it was unarmed, it crashed harmlessly into an empty part of the country.

Shockingly, it wasn't over yet. From submarines and missle-cruisers stationed approximately 500 kilometers from the coast, a number of cruise missles were launched, and these were fully armed with chemical explosives. This time, not orbital defenses, but those on the ground in the mainland activated, including, but not limited to laser-emplacements and railgun-turrets.

Again, the missles began to vanish from the radar, this time no missle - opf formerly 30 - getting through.

The Chairman's phone rang.

He picked up.

"Yes?"

"The tests have been successful, Sir. 95% of all intercontinental missles and 100% of all cruise missles were shot down, just as predicted. The new SDI works just as it should."

"Very good. Tell the world about the test, but not the exact numbers."

"Of course, Sir."

Half an hour later, a message was sent to the international community.

Greetings.

No doubt have you noticed the launch of a number of missles onto the Saborian mainland. This was merely an unannounced test of our newly improved SDI-system. The test was successful.

Thank you for your time, and please be not worried.

-Ministry of Defense, Saboria

OOC: ...

You manipulate cats? :blink:

OOC: Well, it's called caturday, so yeah, cat-manipulation is part of the program. Nowhere near all, of course. It's also manip of human genetics, mixing stuff, etc.

Edited by Lynneth

OOC: Well, it's called caturday, so yeah, cat-manipulation is part of the program. Nowhere near all, of course. It's also manip of human genetics, mixing stuff, etc.

OOC: I see...

*slowly backs away*

:P

On the other hand, I thought of a tune: "Cat, dis ur day! Cat, dis ur day!" :awesome: